Visit site
✟83,603.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Over the years, I have encountered a few Christians relating entropy to sin and chaos. Is it justified?

I don't think so, at least not scientifically.

Given a system (e.g., a room, the planet, the universe), a system's entropy measures the system's thermodynamic state in units of J/K. When a system exists, its entropy exists and is theoretically measurable. Joules relates to dynamic energy; Kelvin relates to thermo temperature.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a system increases over time. There is no external physical force acting upon the closed system. It is just the nature of atoms and molecules residing inside the system.

Technically, entropy is not a force, and it does not measure the level of chaos either.

How to understand the ratio J/K? What is this per Kelvin degree?

Given a system at any given time, its entropy H is extremely difficult to calculate accurately. In solving practical problems, scientists often calculate ΔH, the change of entropy of the system over 2 instances of time, temperatures K1 at time 1 and K2 at time 2.

The above formula explains the unit J⋅K^−1. That's the scientific definition of entropy.

There is God who one day will put a stop to the current chaos and sin we observe on planet Earth. However, the scientific measure of entropy may still continue. It measures the thermodynamic state of a closed system.

Last edited:

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Over the years, I have encountered a few Christians relating entropy to sin and chaos. Is it justified?

Given a system (e.g., a room, the planet, the universe), a system's entropy measures the system's thermodynamic state in units of J/K. When a system exists, its entropy exists and is theoretically measurable. Joules relates to dynamic energy; Kelvin relates to thermo temperature.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a system increases over time. There is no external physical force acting upon the closed system. It is just the nature of atoms and molecules residing inside the system.

Technically, entropy is not a force, and it does not measure the level of chaos either.

Given a system at any given time, its entropy H is extremely difficult to calculate accurately. In solving practical problems, scientists often calculate ΔH, the change of entropy of the system over 2 instances of time, temperatures K1 at time 1 and K2 at time 2.

The above formula explains the unit J⋅K^−1. That's the scientific definition of entropy.

There is God who one day will put a stop to the current chaos and sin we observe on planet Earth. However, the scientific measure of entropy may still continue. It measures the thermodynamic state of a closed system.
Do you think that "the old order of things has passed away" (Rev 21:4) is relevant?

God is not a resident of this temporal way of things, as if this is default 'brute fact'. I see this, that we consider 'reality', to be a tool for his use in producing the Bride of Christ, Body of Christ and so on, but when we see him as he is, this will be done away with, swallowed up in the solid reality of God's economy.

• Agree
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Much of science is theoretical ... many theories ... and many times theory upon theory.

Like the climate change thought ... yes the climate is and will change ... this is also biblically true ... however man can not control the climate ... that is total nonsense. The climate is going to change no matter what we do.

I'm not bad mouthing science ... it is good to pursue.

Can't wait for the Lords return !!! AMEN!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can you give me 10 examples? Entropy is not theoretical. It is physically measurable in J/K.
Entropy Theory explains industry evolution as a story of ever-increasing chaos and suggests that the most successful businesses are those that use the latest technology to wrangle that chaos, until entropic forces unleash the next set of opportunities.

The theory of evolution is based on theory upon theory upon theory.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,603.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the references. To save the effort of your readers, this is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Give the source/citation.
  2. Provide the URL link to the source if available.
  3. Indent the quoted text.
  4. Bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making.
  5. Be concise and to the point.
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee you it will sharpen your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it here.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0