Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Methodist is probably my first choice and I do very much like Wesley's work, Anglican would be my second because of the traditional stance and liturgy but everyone seems to be obsessed with being more Roman Catholic than Anglican. Lutheranism is ok but at least in America the church divides run long and deep and depending on what church you go to makes you conservative or liberal.

Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just to let you both know, I did attend the Divine Liturgy at an Eastern Orthodox church today. It was beautiful, reverent, and Christ was truly present. In fact the priest spoke on my favorite bible verse as well (Galatians 2:20)! And I might that it was especially touching when a small child offerred me the anitdoron.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Kirkhaven your a methodist? At least thats what your icon says :D John Welsey says some good things.

Anything new in Coptic Orthodox land?
What? Looks like I picked the wrong icon when I was updating my info. However, I was a Methodist a few years ago when I was an undergraduate.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
What? Looks like I picked the wrong icon when I was updating my info. However, I was a Methodist a few years ago when I was an undergraduate.

Ah interesting. I just set my icon as Anglican because the church I attend with some regularity just happens to be anglican. What can I say, I like labels lol.

Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ah interesting. I just set my icon as Anglican because the church I attend with some regularity just happens to be anglican. What can I say, I like labels lol.

Not to mention it's pretty cool looking!

Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He know His own - whatever their icon:)

peace,

Anglian

Indeed He does!

I've been meaning to ask you if there is a specific desert father who has impacted your life? I have a book, titled 'Sayings of the Desert Fathers'--and it has certainly helped me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dear Kirkhaven,

Abba Antonios; but Abba Athanasius, who wrote his life, is also a great source of inspiration.

peace,

Anglian

Thank you for your reply. I have recently published this book, and hope to read it soon. Incidently, I am curious about who the icon represents that you have posted as your avatar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Anglian,

I believe that's wonderful. Coming from a protestant background, my parents never thought to name me after one of the Saints. Indeed, I was baptized Derek Wayne (my first and middle name). Though I know this is a question I should pose to the Priest of the Church I attend, but do you think I'll be able to choose a patron Saint when I am chrismated?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anglian

let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Kirkhaven,

Yes, all those who are baptised and chrismated as adults are asked if they wish to take the name of a patron Saint. Your priest will advise you when the time comes. A good friend of mine took the name Theodore after an African Archbishop of Canterbury in the early middle ages; there is a wonderful array of Saints from whom one can choose. Choose one who is special to you.

peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that you should still be able to choose one. I do know that in taking a saints name, that Orthodox believers seem to honor their 'Christian name' more so than the Catholics.

In the Liturgy I attended, the communicants were called by their 'christian name' (saints name).

Like you Zoness, this is something I've also wanted.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Ok that would just confuse me, I'm sure the EO do honor it more (although Catholics do that veneration thing in the extreme as well) but I have identity conflicts already the last thing I need is for someone to start calling me by a different name of someone who is pretty unrelated to me as it is. Then I have a literal identity crisis and that is not good!

Upvote 0