Sick and tired of Atheists and other denouncers of Christ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatGurl513

Canaan
Dec 26, 2011
✟216.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I use scriptures to support my claims. And like it says in Matthew 10:14, keep it moving. If people are not willing to listen or ignore you or ridicule you, don't waste your breath. Often times, people confuse that with 'backing down' but really, it's just our way of letting God handle it. And trust and believe, it WILL be handled.

Upvote 0

Fearless12

Jan 1, 2012
✟15,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something to consider:

In a disagreement, the person who speaks less can be at a great advantage if he pays attention, because the person who speaks more is revealing more about his position. He is revealing the strong and weak points of his argument, giving you more information to use in calculating your approach. And make no mistake, your approach should be calculated, because even though we are called to bring the Gospel to the world, just rushing in making a big noise about how good Jesus is won't get us very far. No war was ever won that way.

Upvote 0

Fearless12

Jan 1, 2012
✟15,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, coming from someone who deals frequently with atheist criticism...

If you can see past the insulting nature of the remarks, they will give you very useful feedback on both your approach and that of the Church as a whole. Quite the blessing, as you would be hard-pressed to get such direct information from people in your Christian circle. Ultimately, if we don't know how to connect to our culture, it is our fault, not that of the culture.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, coming from someone who deals frequently with atheist criticism...

If you can see past the insulting nature of the remarks, they will give you very useful feedback on both your approach and that of the Church as a whole. Quite the blessing, as you would be hard-pressed to get such direct information from people in your Christian circle. Ultimately, if we don't know how to connect to our culture, it is our fault, not that of the culture.

I find that not only if we can see past the insulting nature we can also see past that they don't believe the same way. Changing an atheist mind is never the pure objective. People see motives all the time that sometimes are there or not. The goal is for them to see the love of Christ. I think it is much better for one to be curious about what you know therefore in turn asking many questions as we should do the same. Love truly can conquer all and by showing love it can open a discussion on both sides. I always think of when I am talking with one of my friends and I can't stand something they do like say a band. Though after riding in their car or being around them I start to like the band. Not because it was pushed on me but because at some point I let down my guard down to something new.

Upvote 0

Fearless12

Jan 1, 2012
✟15,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ok really? christians are persecuted? psh. you live in the united states. here, 85% of people are christian. there are 7 states that even have laws against atheists being in public offices, which is sick since 1) its immoral and 2) it is against the 1st amendment of the constitution and under the supremacy clause, federal trumps state and these laws should never have been imposed in the 1st place. also, people do want legitimate answers when they ask for them, not some miracle of god. i personally have nothing against the belief in god, though i am a nonbeliever myself, but i do get VERY angry when religion tries to seep itself into our lives. proposition 8 is a great example.

So, are you saying that you consider yourself persecuted as a nonbeliever?

Upvote 0

Zando

I <3 You
Dec 11, 2011
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is so offensive? By thanking the lord in such a way that you are shoving your self righteousness in the faces of others. I'm a Christian, and even I find such sanctmonious displays of false piety gag worthy.

This only shows you have no understanding of what self righteousness means..

self-righteousadj having or showing an exaggerated awareness of one's own virtuousness or rightsself-righteously adv
self-righteousness n

Praying to god is not in the least bit self righteous...to be self-righteous would be along the lines of "God, please show these athiests how stupid they are and how we are so much better because we know you exist"..."God, I'd like to thank you for not making me stupid and for making me awesome so I can tell the athiest how much more stupid they are than me"....

Thanking God for:
Health
Life
Forgiveness
Each other
Success
Patience
etc is not self righteous..what is self righteous is belittling someone BECAUSE they thank God rather than the world..or money...or themselves.

Upvote 0

Zando

I <3 You
Dec 11, 2011
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
When is the last time any of you have been denied the right to hold public office because you are a christian?
I am denied that right in 5 states because I am an atheist.
When is the last time you have been denied the right to vote because you are a christian?

Uhm..my aunt was told she could not adopt because when she confirmed she was christian the agency told her she wouldn't be allowed to tell an adopted child that homosexual sex was a sin and she said she would not condone homosexuality. So now she's on a blacklist at many adoption agencies. If that's not discrimination I don't know what is.

Upvote 0

Whisper of Hope

Oct 4, 2011
✟12,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

rivers moore

Jan 12, 2012
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
no matter what we do we will never stop people from bashing christians on line. everyone in america, and people elsewhere who have a computer or access to one are entitled to their own opinion. just because people dont believe the same we do doesnt mean that we should get super upset and call them idiots because then we are just as bad as them. we are the ones that know the truth. jesus never bashed on anyone, not even unbelievers, but instead tried to bring them to the light. dont forget that even jesus, the son of god can do nothing for you without you first having faith that he can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mrguy789

Jan 12, 2012
✟15,114.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Also, Piercing the Darkness, what are you going to do about it? I can get a proxy IP and log in as a completely different user any time I want. The bottom line is, you are a fascist. I know you can't help being a fascist because that was the way you were raised, and I'm truly sorry that your parents never tried to teach you critical thinking (I am not being sarcastic).

Upvote 0

3rdHeaven

Truth Seeker
Nov 23, 2011
✟1,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't usually waste my time in exchanges with atheists on the Internet or in person. They are truly lost, perhaps beyond help.

What I do find amazing is you will always find a number of atheists flocking to religious forums and hanging out there more regularly then most believers! These are the ones who make it their mission to pester believers. I view them much like the bugs attracted to a bright light, they can't help themselves lol.

I suppose even if one atheist converted from 1000 in a year from just one forum it would be worth it. Perhaps they truly do hunger for the Lord and are in denial. Closet Christians? Christianphobic? God knows for sure.

Upvote 0

mrguy789

Jan 12, 2012
✟15,114.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you would actually take the time to talk to nonbelievers, like me, you might not be so closed minded and pathetic. But since you insulted me by comparing me to a bug attracted to light, I've got on for you:

You remember when you were a kid and you thought those presents on Christmas day were delivered by Santa Claus? Later on, you grew up and realized "hmm, there isn't much evidence to support a fat guy flying around the world giving people presents, so I'm not going to believe in him anymore." Thats how nonbelievers see you: you are a child who refuses to give up their believe in an imaginary person.

Having been a fundamentalist Christian at one point in my life, I know exactly how fundies think: You are afraid of the possibility that after you die, you'll be in very nasty, unpleasant place for all eternity. You put all your facilities for reason and critical thought aside so that you can get that thought out of your head, and eventually, you start to actually believe all the ridiculous premises in the bible.

Also, despite the fact that this forum is hosted on a private server, and has the legal right to determine who can post where, I find it incumbent upon me to express my opinions anywhere I like. We all have a human right to express our opinions anywhere we like, and I'm just doing my part. You are more than welcome to come to an atheist or secular forum and post anything you want.

Upvote 0

3rdHeaven

Truth Seeker
Nov 23, 2011
✟1,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you would actually take the time to talk to nonbelievers, like me, you might not be so closed minded and pathetic. But since you insulted me by comparing me to a bug attracted to light, I've got on for you:

You remember when you were a kid and you thought those presents on Christmas day were delivered by Santa Claus? Later on, you grew up and realized "hmm, there isn't much evidence to support a fat guy flying around the world giving people presents, so I'm not going to believe in him anymore." Thats how nonbelievers see you: you are a child who refuses to give up their believe in an imaginary person.

Having been a fundamentalist Christian at one point in my life, I know exactly how fundies think: You are afraid of the possibility that after you die, you'll be in very nasty, unpleasant place for all eternity. You put all your facilities for reason and critical thought aside so that you can get that thought out of your head, and eventually, you start to actually believe all the ridiculous premises in the bible.

Also, despite the fact that this forum is hosted on a private server, and has the legal right to determine who can post where, I find it incumbent upon me to express my opinions anywhere I like. We all have a human right to express our opinions anywhere we like, and I'm just doing my part. You are more than welcome to come to an atheist or secular forum and post anything you want.

So you use to be a believer and abandon your faith? Sorry to hear about that. I hope you find your way back. Others here may feel moved to help you, I don't feel moved. I find most atheists to be a waste of my time. This will be my last reply to u. There are too many people who actual hunger for the Lord that genuinely ask for help, and seek help, I do feel moved to help them.

Why would I waste my time on a atheist forum? I find them totally blind and foolish. Same as if I was a atheist, I certainly would not waste my time on a religious forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sparkydave

Jan 16, 2012
Ohio
✟10,139.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Funny, this thread hit on something that was on my mind, one of the reasons I joined.

I too saw a Yahoo news article that seemed to be generating strong opinions from believers and non-believers. The article was about a man who had been in a car accident, ruptured an aneurysm, and the doctors were about to give up on him, thinking that if even if he survived he would have severe brain damage, but they kept after him, repaired the aneurysm, and even one of the doctors was quoted as saying it was a miracle he survived, and that he's expected to make a full recovery.

Well, the believers were leaving comments such as "praise the Lord", the non-believers were chastising them for believing in their "imaginary friend", and that the doctors should be thanked. Still others were asking the believers if they would go to a church or to a hospital if they were having a heart attack. To me, it just seemed like the non-believers were having a field day belittling the believers, as though they must be stupid for having faith in the Lord.

Me, personally, I don't discount the work the doctors did for the man, the folks commenting would have been wise to include thanks to the doctors, but even the doctors can only do so much. If the doctors say it's a miracle that he's going to make a full recovery, then who am I to disagree with them? The Lord gives each of us our talents and abilities, and some folks were blessed with being good doctors. I have no doubt the Lord was working through the doctors and in other ways, but I would have to say that some healing took place that transcends our knowledge of medicine.

I don't think equating belief in God with belief in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy is a fair comparison. My parents eventually spilled the beans that there is no Santa Claus, and I figured out pretty quickly that my mom was really the tooth fairy. I just don't believe that the world as we know it happened by accident, or that humans who are capable of so many amazing things just grew out of random collisions of molecules after billions of years.

Just my $0.02. :)

Upvote 0

3rdHeaven

Truth Seeker
Nov 23, 2011
✟1,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Funny, this thread hit on something that was on my mind, one of the reasons I joined.

I too saw a Yahoo news article that seemed to be generating strong opinions from believers and non-believers. The article was about a man who had been in a car accident, ruptured an aneurysm, and the doctors were about to give up on him, thinking that if even if he survived he would have severe brain damage, but they kept after him, repaired the aneurysm, and even one of the doctors was quoted as saying it was a miracle he survived, and that he's expected to make a full recovery.

Well, the believers were leaving comments such as "praise the Lord", the non-believers were chastising them for believing in their "imaginary friend", and that the doctors should be thanked. Still others were asking the believers if they would go to a church or to a hospital if they were having a heart attack. To me, it just seemed like the non-believers were having a field day belittling the believers, as though they must be stupid for having faith in the Lord.

Me, personally, I don't discount the work the doctors did for the man, the folks commenting would have been wise to include thanks to the doctors, but even the doctors can only do so much. If the doctors say it's a miracle that he's going to make a full recovery, then who am I to disagree with them? The Lord gives each of us our talents and abilities, and some folks were blessed with being good doctors. I have no doubt the Lord was working through the doctors and in other ways, but I would have to say that some healing took place that transcends our knowledge of medicine.

I don't think equating belief in God with belief in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy is a fair comparison. My parents eventually spilled the beans that there is no Santa Claus, and I figured out pretty quickly that my mom was really the tooth fairy. I just don't believe that the world as we know it happened by accident, or that humans who are capable of so many amazing things just grew out of random collisions of molecules after billions of years.

Just my $0.02. :)

Precisely why this Christian will not waste his time with them. I consider them as foolish as the tooth ferry, unlike them, I will not waste my time with such foolishness. Too bad they can't take their own advice.

Upvote 0

UTVols345

Jan 16, 2012
Seymour,TN
✟7,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Atheists who are mean to me because of my faith can get annoying. But I just try to be as nice as I can.

The one thing that really bugs that crap out of me is being generalized. Like when someone says "Christians are hypocrites!!" or something like that. Like, really? You've met every Christian?

I know there are some hypocritical Christians out there. For sure. But there are also hypocritical Atheists, Muslims, Jews, etc etc.

But not all atheists are rude. One of my good friends is an atheist. We don't agree on religious/spiritual terms, but we make it work. :)

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh look, atheists at a christian forum! Anyone else smell troll? Being a computer geek I've lived alot of my life in chats, forums....etc and 99.9% of the time NO athiest really cares about christians. They don't care about getting "proof" or answers. The only reason they come on forums like this is to troll. Then when someone corrects them (which they know will happen) they attack you more like "Typical christian, being mean which is sinning. SOme believer you are!".

My parents always said the moment an athiest asks you to prove something says something controlversial, you should just ignore them because their purpose is to annoy you. In my mind I think athiests tend to come to a forum like this because deep down they have a fear God is real, but they don't want to admit that. So they attack people instead acting like they are really tough and could care.

They often claim they are open minded (more so then a christian). But its not true. A christian can try to understand the view of a athiest. But an athiest doesn't care to understand our view. So to me an athiest is a lesser person who is closed minded and shallow. They cannot have faith because they are unsure in life and the only way the feel like they can feel important is to have proof for everything that happens. This way their meaningless exsitence feels...less meaningless.

My best friend is an athiest, a strong one at that. We've never really argued about my religion or his atheism. But, you can see from how he acts that hes living a depressing life. Actually atheists remind me of Eeyore (from Winnie the Pooh). They mope about life never really happy with anything. Everything to them is "What if", if they don't have proof. In alot fo ways I feel bad for them. If they would just admit how they feel inside, they would see how much better it is to talk about things rather then pretend your big and tough. But they won't.

On a side note a few people I also know, we get along fine. I have an athiest friend, a friend who is a new age wiccan, a friend who is jewish. So I am not saying all athiests are the same 100%, but the ones on forums seem to be the same though. Lets face it, if they were REALLY happy with life they would be living it instead of sitting on a forum.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.