Should you ever settle and feel content with what you have?

Sarah Fisher

Apr 20, 2016
Ontario, Canada
✟15,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I was wondering if anyone feels like they have problems with feeling satisfied with themselves? Life seems to be this constant push to do better. To continue to strive for success and to never settle. But when do you get to sit back and feel content? I mean, Jesus gives me so much, but I can't seem to shake this feeling like I don't amount to anything if I'm not one of the best, if I don't continue to try for more. I should be more than thankful; I don't know what's wrong with me. Does anyone ever feel like they have the same issue?

Last edited:

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I was wondering if anyone feels like they have problems with feeling satisfied with themselves? Life seems to be this constant push to do better. To continue to strive for success and to never settle. But when do you get to sit back and feel content? I mean, Jesus gives me so much, but I can't seem to shake this feeling like I don't amount to anything if I'm not one of the best, if I don't continue to try for more. I should be more than thankful; I don't know what's wrong with me. Does anyone ever feel like they have the same issue?

Hi Sarah; welcome to CF; as this is the 'say hi' forum you may get more feed-back if you post a thread on our Christian Advice forum:

http://www.christianforums.com/forums/christian-advice.232/

And if you would like prayer for Jesus to let you know with out a shadow of a doubt that He loves you just as you are and He died on the cross for you and that is all you will ever need if you trust in Him and His name; you can post right here: He does you know.

http://www.christianforums.com/forums/prayer-wall.10/

Peace in Jesus and

upload_2016-4-21_2-36-4.jpeg

Upvote 0

Four Angels Standing

2Peter 1:21 Cry Out For Wisdom Grace Heals
Apr 18, 2016
Dallas
✟11,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Relax. You've already achieved greatness when you are a child of the most high God. Creator of everything there is, was, or ever shall come to be. You're the daughter of the king of Heaven. Everything after that is material that will pass away when you do. (hugs)
religious_90.gif
Welcome! I'm also new here. :)

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
:hi:

Welcome to CF. My name is Kristen. I hope you enjoy your time here and that you find the help and fellowship you are looking for.

If you have any questions, I'm around a lot. Go ahead and PM me any time! PMs do require 20 posts and 5 likes first, but you can reach out in topics for now.

:bye:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF!

This is the intro forum, but I'll give a short answer.

I think the answer to your question depends on what you are striving for. If it is for many of the things people tend to chase after - money, better job, better house, popularity, improved looks ... then generally from a Christian point of view, I would say it's not worth taking over your life to the extent that it damages your spirituality, no.

And if it is to improve spiritually, then there is nothing wrong with trying, but at a certain point we realize that our efforts are nothing without the grace of God, and it is really Christ we look to, not ourselves.

Striving for excellence in what you do is not a bad thing. But your goals are worth examination, and how it affects the rest of your life is definitely worth considering.

I pray you are blessed by being here at CF. :) Again, welcome!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Sarah! Welcome. The answer to the title question is yes.
In my bible studies I've found the one thing that needs to be striven for is contentment in all things. Faith, love, peace, joy etc is provided but being content is what allows those gifts to shine and keeps one from being contenteous :)
Hope you enjoy your time at CF....God bless!
Hebrews 13:5
Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Philippians 4:11-13
Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Upvote 0

HarvestTheFields

Great White North
Mar 7, 2016
Indiana
Visit site
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think the answer is always yes.

My grandmother (who is a great-grandmother to others) has accomplished the major tasks that God created her with the potential to do. She now has stage 4 cancer in her lungs, bones, and breasts. However, she is completely at peace, because she is content with what she has accomplished in life. She has shown absolutely no remorse in regards to the situation, and I must say, it has made things much easier for us (her family). She might have 1 year left, she might have 10. I just know she's fully at peace with whatever God has planned. In this sense, it's great to feel content with oneself.

However, as a Japanese-Canadian, most of her siblings have never found Jesus Christ. She does see her cancer as one last opportunity to witness to her siblings. I guess it's possible to have a desire to work for the Lord, even when your goals have been accomplished.

You're a lot younger than my Grandma and you probably have many God-given gifts that you can harness and utilize to make the world a better place. Some of these gifts may still be undiscovered. It's great that you feel content, but at the same time, I hope you also have some sense of ambition and hope that can propel you even further!

Upvote 0