Should we take "In God We Trust" off the dollar bill?

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What the heck are you talking about? That question makes no sense. If I visit Mexico, am I allowed to use my money there? Yes. I simply convert my American currency for Mexican currency, while I am there.
That' great. I thought we were talking about Americans? Are Americans free to use American money that doesn't have someone else's prayer on it?

Upvote 0

Rosanna Miller

Oct 28, 2015
Missouri
✟15,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
this is a valid point.

I think it is funny that I keep seeing you quoting parts from the discussion that you THINK are valid points. OK, that makes it true. Not.

There are no valid reasons to remove it, end of discussion. I know everyone is going to continue talking about it because you think you know but you don't.

(See what I said? Valid point. You know why? Because God is the Maker of the heavens and earth and He is the final word and judge.)

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are no valid reasons to remove it, end of discussion.
People want it removed. That right there is a valid reason. It now becomes up to you to give a valid reason why it should be kept.

Reactions: Ilovegod888
Upvote 0

Ilovegod888

Nov 1, 2015
✟15,733.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It is not illegal, the Founding Father's set up the nation with that declaration...."We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator (aka GOD) with certain unalienable Rights....! That is why and how we separated from Britain! If people don't like our Constitution, I suggest they kick rocks! Simple as that. The Founding Fathers served the Lord, your approval is not needed nor welcome!
Most of the Founding Fathers were deists for your information. It's against the first amendment, simple as that.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Brookelowe454

Nov 7, 2015
✟15,774.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I have already explained how it applies to all. So basically, you disagree. Cool. There is still no good reason to take it out. Your offense is not a reason. Can you imagine if we did things based on offense? Not wise at all. Reason has nothing to do with feelings.

Can you explain why we should keep it? You didn't state an answer.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't violate anything. Are you free to stay home and be lazy if you choose? Yes. Are you free to worship Buddah, Krishna, Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc.? Yes.

Enough said.

Our constitution certainly violates the 1st commandment.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟565,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know my Father, God. I don't need to trust the government, I trust Him.
I'm not saying you are trusting the government. I'm saying the government is making that statement for you to the world. By saying "In God We Trust" the government has already decided for you that you have trust in God. Now, you may agree with that and be fine with it but there are many people who aren't. Many of them, Christians. Specifically because it is the government making the statement and not the individual.

Reactions: Brookelowe454
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟565,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Then move out and establish your own country.
What a terrible thing to say to your fellow American. I would never tell you to leave if there was anything you didn't like about the country you were born and live in.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟565,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is not me that needs to give a reason to keep it. So nice try. If you don't like our Constitution, move. Leave our Constitution alone.
Please stop telling Americans to leave the country. You don't get to do that. That's not how it works. Our constitution has been amended 27 times and could be amended 27 more if the country lasts long enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟565,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I could care less why you get upset. Good luck with that. Are you hearing voices? The government hasn't told you anything.
It's couldn't care less.... You could care less means you do care.

Reactions: Dave Ellis
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟565,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are no valid reasons to remove it, end of discussion. I know everyone is going to continue talking about it because you think you know but you don't.
Sorry but, you don't get to end a discussion you didn't start. You can go ahead and not post in this thread if you can't offer a reasoned argument as to why the national motto of the United States should exclude any Americans who feel left out by it.

(See what I said? Valid point. You know why? Because God is the Maker of the heavens and earth and He is the final word and judge.)
:yawn:

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟565,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Most of the Founding Fathers were deists for your information. It's against the first amendment, simple as that.
That's all that really needs to be said. No matter the religious beliefs of the Founders, their political beliefs included secularism which is the separation of religion and government. The specifically created an irreligious government that cannot impose or establish a national religious belief, like trusting in God.

Those are the facts and if anyone wants to continue to ignore them and perpetuate a lie, the are certainly free to do so.

Upvote 0

mickiio

Jun 11, 2012
✟9,417.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
People want it removed. That right there is a valid reason. It now becomes up to you to give a valid reason why it should be kept.
Not ALL people! It should be kept because it honors God and it is part of our heritage.
The Constitution may not have a reference to God, but the Declaration of Independence certainly does. It is not against the first amendment "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Some claimed to be deist, maybe Thomas Jefferson; but far from "most". http://www.wallbuilders.com/libissuesarticles.asp?id=8755
John Adams
"I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God."
John Quincy Adams
My hopes of a future life are all founded upon the Gospel of Christ and I cannot cavil or quibble away [evade or object to]. . . . the whole tenor of His conduct by which He sometimes positively asserted and at others countenances [permits] His disciples in asserting that He was God.6
Samuel Adams
I . . . [rely] upon the merits of Jesus Christ for a pardon of all my sins.9
Josiah Bartlett
Called on the people of New Hampshire . . .
to confess before God their aggravated transgressions and to implore His pardon and forgiveness through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ . . . [t]hat the knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ may be made known to all nations, pure and undefiled religion universally prevail, and the earth be fill with the glory of the Lord.15
Congress, 1854
The great, vital, and conservative element in our system is the belief of our people in the pure doctrines and the divine truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.24
Benjamin Franklin
As to Jesus of Nazareth, my opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the system of morals and His religion as He left them to us, the best the world ever saw or is likely to see.29

Alexander Hamilton
“And on that grace,” continued I, “a sinner has the highest encouragement to repose his confidence, because it is tendered to him upon the surest foundation; the Scrip¬ture testifying that we have redemption through the blood of Jesus, the forgiveness of sins according to the richness of His grace.” Here the General, letting go my hand, which he had held from the moment I sat down at his bed side, clasped his hands together, and, looking up towards Heaven, said, with emphasis, “I have a tender reliance on the mercy of the Al¬mighty, through the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ.” 34
The Rev. Benjamin Moore reported: mmediately after he was brought from [the field] . . . a mes¬sage was sent informing me of the sad event, accompanied by a request from General Hamilton that I would come to him for the purpose of administering the Holy Communion. I went. . . . I proceeded to converse with him on the subject of his receiving the Communion; and told him that with respect to the qualifications of those who wished to become partakers of that holy ordinance, my inquires could not be made in lan¬guage more expressive than that which was used by our [own] Church. – [I asked], “Do you sincerely repent of your sins past? Have you a lively faith in God’s mercy through Christ, with a thankful remembrance of the death of Christ? And are you disposed to live in love and charity with all men?”
John Hancock
Sensible of the importance of Christian piety and virtue to the order and happiness of a state, I cannot but earnestly commend to you every measure for their support and encouragement.37

He called on the entire state to pray “that universal happiness may be established in the world [and] that all may bow to the scepter of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the whole earth be filled with His glory.”38

He also called on the State of Massachusetts to pray . . .
  • that all nations may bow to the scepter of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and that the whole earth may be filled with his glory.39
  • that the spiritual kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ may be continually increasing until the whole earth shall be filled with His glory.40
  • to confess their sins and to implore forgiveness of God through the merits of the Savior of the World.41
  • to cause the benign religion of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to be known, understood, and practiced among all the inhabitants of the earth.42
  • to confess their sins before God and implore His forgiveness through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.43
  • that He would finally overrule all events to the advancement of the Redeemer’s kingdom and the establishment of universal
John Hart
[T]hanks be given unto Almighty God therefore, and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die and after that the judgment [Hebrews 9:27] . . . principally, I give and recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God who gave it and my body to the earth to be buried in a decent and Christian like manner . . . to receive the same again at the general resurrection by the mighty power of God.47
Patrick Henry
Being a Christian… is a character which I prize far above all this world has or can boast.48
The Bible… is a book worth more than all the other books that were ever printed.49
Righteousness alone can exalt [America] as a nation...Whoever thou art, remember this; and in thy sphere practice virtue thyself, and encourage it in others.50
The great pillars of all government and of social life [are] virtue, morality, and religion. This is the armor, my friend, and this alone,

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not ALL people! It should be kept because it honors God and it is part of our heritage.
Why is it only the Christian God that get's honoured on a secular country's currency?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It is not illegal, the Founding Father's set up the nation with that declaration...."We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator (aka GOD) with certain unalienable Rights....! That is why and how we separated from Britain! If people don't like our Constitution, I suggest they kick rocks! Simple as that. The Founding Fathers served the Lord, your approval is not needed nor welcome!

The Declaration of Independence is not a legal US document as the US government did not exist then. It was put together by the continental congress, which was not bound by the US constitution, which was adopted 15 years later.

Also, if you knew your history, you'd know that the "creator" does not reference the Christian god. Jefferson was a deist who openly rejected the supernatural claims made by Christianity.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟565,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It should be kept because it honors God and it is part of our heritage.
Is that it? Because it honors God? How exactly does that fit in with a government that can make no laws respecting an establishment of religion?
The Constitution may not have a reference to God, but the Declaration of Independence certainly does. It is not against the first amendment "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
The Declaration of Independence came before the Constitution and carries no legal weight. The Constitution is the final word and supreme law of the land and it specifically separates religion from government.

Do you care about the secular tradition the Founders established?

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Then move out and establish your own country.

On the contrary, if you want to undermine the secular nature of the country, I suggest you move and found your own theocratic nation.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It is not me that needs to give a reason to keep it. So nice try. If you don't like our Constitution, move. Leave our Constitution alone.

Actually, the constitution specifically forbids government favouritism towards one particular religious or non-religious group.

Government neutrality is the only constitutional option.

As such, I am fighting for constitutional principles. You're fighting for Christian privilege.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I could care less why you get upset. Good luck with that. Are you hearing voices? The government hasn't told you anything.

It is attempting to speak for me though.

That's where the objection stands. It should be pretty clear to you by this point that's what we oppose as well. Please try to argue honestly.

Upvote 0