• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Should I wash my face? Am I breaking a promise?

Kostilaks

Aug 24, 2018
Macedonia
✟72,424.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In 2018, I was taking a bath and I was carefull not to rub my face too much, because it may count as "washing it compulsively" and that will break a possible, rushed promise to God, that was about must not wash my face as part of a compulsion.

I avoided washing my face when there was no need to, in order not to break that promise. Yesterday, I remembered that in 2018, there was a period that I was washing my face as part of a compulsion, for many days. I never got worried for a promise when doing it. Probably, because the rushed promise was made AFTER that events.

Ocd makes an hypothetical scenario and takes related events PRIOR to that events (me washing my face) and says that I made the promise on 2017 and that I forgot it. I broke the promise on the period that I used to wash my face for many days ( because i forgot it) and then, I remembered it randomly, almost one year later after making it, (on 2018 while showering) and started keeping it.

It does not make sense! why would I forget a promise for almost, one year and then, randomly, remember it? Probably, because the rushed promise was made AFTER that period of me washing my face. For some reason, my ocd insists that there is a chance that the promise was made BEFORE that period, just because I have some similar events in my memory.

Even so, before or after, it does not matter. Is this promise valid? I cant remember if it was made 100% with my will or not. I cant remember if it was rushed or not. I cant even remember the words. The only thing I remember is me being on the shower in 2018 and be like "I should not wash my face because it may break a promise"

I cant remember if I ever prayed for a promise. I remember some other ocd promises, and I remember them, vividly! I cant remember anything about washing my face. Just, a random thought that I should not wash it because of a promise.

When this promise was made? was it made before or after the specific period of me washing my face compulsively? Was it intrusive thoughts or a rushed promise? Was it a rushed promise or a promise made after thinking a lot about it? Did I prayed a normal prayer or it was just a rushed, thought-prayer because of my ocd? Was I anxious and could not control myself or I was calm and made the promise with 100% full intention? Why i cant remember it?

• Prayers
Reactions: SarahsKnight

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟998,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In 2018, I was taking a bath and I was carefull not to rub my face too much, because it may count as "washing it compulsively" and that will break a possible, rushed promise to God, that was about must not wash my face as part of a compulsion.

I avoided washing my face when there was no need to, in order not to break that promise. Yesterday, I remembered that in 2018, there was a period that I was washing my face as part of a compulsion, for many days. I never got worried for a promise when doing it. Probably, because the rushed promise was made AFTER that events.

Ocd makes an hypothetical scenario and takes related events PRIOR to that events (me washing my face) and says that I made the promise on 2017 and that I forgot it. I broke the promise on the period that I used to wash my face for many days ( because i forgot it) and then, I remembered it randomly, almost one year later after making it, (on 2018 while showering) and started keeping it.

It does not make sense! why would I forget a promise for almost, one year and then, randomly, remember it? Probably, because the rushed promise was made AFTER that period of me washing my face. For some reason, my ocd insists that there is a chance that the promise was made BEFORE that period, just because I have some similar events in my memory.

Even so, before or after, it does not matter. Is this promise valid? I cant remember if it was made 100% with my will or not. I cant remember if it was rushed or not. I cant even remember the words. The only thing I remember is me being on the shower in 2018 and be like "I should not wash my face because it may break a promise"

I cant remember if I ever prayed for a promise. I remember some other ocd promises, and I remember them, vividly! I cant remember anything about washing my face. Just, a random thought that I should not wash it because of a promise.

When this promise was made? was it made before or after the specific period of me washing my face compulsively? Was it intrusive thoughts or a rushed promise? Was it a rushed promise or a promise made after thinking a lot about it? Did I prayed a normal prayer or it was just a rushed, thought-prayer because of my ocd? Was I anxious and could not control myself or I was calm and made the promise with 100% full intention? Why i cant remember it?

I have prayed for God to give you rest from these distressing periods, Kostilaks, where you keep worrying about promises made to Him over seemingly trivial things and whether you broke them or not. I know this ocd is hard to live with. That is all I know to say right now.

Reactions: Ann77
Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I cant remember anything about washing my face. Just, a random thought that I should not wash it because of a promise.

This post gives some interesting insight into the working of OCD compulsions. I hope and pray that you are able to overcome this one, and feel free to wash your face as much as you desire, while laughing at any sense of compulsion to keep washing it unnecessarily.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
break a possible, rushed promise to God, that was about must not wash my face as part of a compulsion.

Basic fact we can not make bargins with Godif you think you have made a bargin or a promise with God you are deluded.

Our relationship with God is entirely on his terms.

So your promise to God was not real, it is only your mental illness that made you believe in it.

Again you need to read and memorise the relavent arts of 25 tips for successfully treating your ocd, also there is in the ocd forum an article that rationally shows ocd promises are never valid.
Please read these two articles and discuss them with your therapist.

Reactions: Ann77
Upvote 0