Should I repent even if I don't feel sorry for what I've done?

Animelover93

Jun 15, 2020
Columbus Ohio
✟21,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I recently committed a great sin but am afraid to repent of it. The reason why I am afraid is because in order for God to forgive you of your sin, you have to truly be sorry for committing that sin, which I'm not, then ask for forgiveness, which I haven't. The reason why I want to ask for forgiveness is because I know my sin separates me from God, and I know it upsets God when we go against his word. Not because I feel sorry for my sins. I asked God to convict me of sin so I can truly repent, but he hasn't. What should I do? I'm so afraid that if I don't feel sorry for my sins, my request for forgiveness means nothing, and that God will not forgive me. I'm afraid he will not forgive me. Whenever I do sin, I do ask for forgiveness, but I don't feel guilt. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I don't know what I feel and am just scared that God won't forgive me. I feel like if I just feel sorry enough for what I've done, God will grant me forgiveness. But I never truly feel it, at least when I want to. Am I truly repenting of my sins if I don't feel guilt? And should I repent even if I don't feel sorry for what I've done? Thanks

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Set aside feelings for the moment. Feelings are funny, unpredictable things. Think instead about the choices you made in the past, and the choices you want to make in the future.

When you think about the sin you committed, and you think about the person you hurt by that action: if you could go back in time and not hurt that person in that way, would you choose to act in a different way, a way that wouldn't hurt them? When you think about interacting with that person in the future, do you want to act differently toward them in the future, so that you won't hurt them in the same way again?

That's enough for repentance: Wishing you'd acted differently, and wanting to act differently in the future. Feeling guilt isn't really necessary; that emotion is just a helper that nudges us in the right direction sometimes.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  1. Have you been Born Again?
  2. Do you believe God when He says that something is not good for you that it is not good for you?
A bad habit may be difficult (and take time) to break, but if you refuse His assessment outright, you are rejecting His Lordship.

"Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey,
you are that one’s slaves whom you obey,
whether of sin leading to death,
or of obedience leading to righteousness?" Romans 6:16 NKJV​

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Animelover93, here's a short article on repentance that I hope you will find useful (by one of my very favorite theologians, Dr. J. I. Packer).
REPENTANCE
A CHRISTIAN CHANGES ~RADICALLY~

… I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.
ACTS OF THE APOSTLES 26:20

The New Testament word for repentance means changing one’s mind so that one’s views, values, goals, and ways are changed and one’s whole life is lived differently. The change is radical, both inwardly and outwardly; mind and judgment, will and affections, behavior and life-style, motives and purposes, are all involved. Repenting means starting to live a new life.

The call to repent was the first and fundamental summons in the preaching of John the Baptist (Matthew 3:2), Jesus (Matthew 4:17), the Twelve (Mark 6:12), Peter at Pentecost (Acts of the Apostles 2:38), Paul to the Gentiles (Acts of the Apostles 17:30; Acts of the Apostles 26:20), and the glorified Christ to five of the seven churches in Asia (Revelation 2:5, 16, 22; 3:3, 19). It was part of Jesus’ summary of the gospel that was to be taken to the world (Luke 24:47). It corresponds to the constant summons of the Old Testament prophets to Israel to return to the God from whom they had strayed (e.g., Jeremiah 23:22; Jeremiah 25:4-5; Zechariah 1:3-6). Repentance is always set forth as the path to remission of sins and restoration to God’s favor, impenitence as the road to ruin (e.g., Luke 13:1-8).

Repentance is a fruit of faith, which is itself a fruit of regeneration. But in actual life, repentance is inseparable from faith, being the negative aspect (faith is the positive aspect) of turning to Christ as Lord and Savior. The idea that there can be saving faith without true repentance, and that one can be justified by embracing Christ as Savior while refusing him as Lord, ~is a destructive delusion.~ True faith acknowledges Christ as what he truly is, our God-appointed king as well as our God-given priest, and true trust in him as Savior will express itself in submission to him as Lord also. To refuse this is to seek justification through an impenitent faith, which is no faith.

In repentance, says the Westminster Confession,

...a sinner, out of the sight and sense not only of the danger, but also the filthiness and odiousness of his sins, as contrary to the holy nature, and righteous law of God; and upon the apprehension of his mercy in Christ to such as are penitent; so grieves for, and hates his sins, as to turn from them all unto God, purposing and endeavoring to walk with him in all ways of his commandments. (XV.2)
This statement highlights the fact that incomplete repentance, sometimes called “attrition” (remorse, self-reproach, and sorrow for sin generated by fear of punishment, without any wish or resolve to forsake sinning) ~is insufficient.~ True repentance iscontrition,” as modeled by David in Psalms 51, having at its heart a serious purpose of ~sinning no more~ but of living henceforth a life that will show one’s repentance to be full and real (Luke 3:8; Acts of the Apostles 26:20). Repenting of any vice means going in the opposite direction, to practice the virtues most directly opposed to it. ~Packer, J. I. (1993). Concise Theology: a guide to historic Christian beliefs (pp. 162–163)
Praying for you!

--David
p.s. - have you talked to your pastor about all of this yet? If not, I would do so asap .. cf Hebrews 13:17.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I recently committed a great sin but am afraid to repent of it. The reason why I am afraid is because in order for God to forgive you of your sin, you have to truly be sorry for committing that sin,

If God convicts you of sin He wants you to confess and repent (turn from it).

Repentance is a "gift" from God - you are not supposed to try and work up a "feeling" about it.

God is looking for the "exercise of your will" where you choose to confess and turn no matter what you "Feel like". The closer you come to God after that - the more horrible sin will appear in your own eyes.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recently committed a great sin but am afraid to repent of it. The reason why I am afraid is because in order for God to forgive you of your sin, you have to truly be sorry for committing that sin, which I'm not, then ask for forgiveness, which I haven't. The reason why I want to ask for forgiveness is because I know my sin separates me from God, and I know it upsets God when we go against his word. Not because I feel sorry for my sins. I asked God to convict me of sin so I can truly repent, but he hasn't. What should I do? I'm so afraid that if I don't feel sorry for my sins, my request for forgiveness means nothing, and that God will not forgive me. I'm afraid he will not forgive me. Whenever I do sin, I do ask for forgiveness, but I don't feel guilt. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I don't know what I feel and am just scared that God won't forgive me. I feel like if I just feel sorry enough for what I've done, God will grant me forgiveness. But I never truly feel it, at least when I want to. Am I truly repenting of my sins if I don't feel guilt? And should I repent even if I don't feel sorry for what I've done? Thanks
Actually the act of repenting is " changing your mind" and go in a different direction. Only His Holy Spirit can help you break a sin and truly repent. He is there to Help you. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Larry H.

Oct 2, 2022
Whiteville
✟9,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In love I say: My first thoughts were, what is your “great sin” and secondly, do you understand what “repent” is.

Simply put, assuming your “great sin” was not something like denying Christ or murder, to repent is turning from your sin, literally turning your back on the sin you committed or you are involved in. If there is a sin in your life and you continue to commit that sin, it doesn’t matter if you feel guilty or sorry for committing that sin, if you continue in that sin, you have not repented, which you must do first.

You said in your post that “you have to truly be sorry for committing that sin, ****, then ask for forgiveness” and you said “if I don't feel sorry for my sins, my request for forgiveness means nothing, and that God will not forgive me”.

What scriptures in God’s Word are you basing those statements on. God expects us to recognize our sin has separated us from Him, which by your words you have @” I know my sin separates me from God”. Then you repent (turn from the sin)

Feeling sorry, scared, convicted etc, of your sin is not a requirement of salvation. It may surly help you ask for forgiveness but in some cases it may even hinder your forgiveness rather than assure it.

You also said “Whenever I do sin, I do ask for forgiveness, but I don't feel guilt”. If you have truly repented (turned your back on the sin) then not feeling guilt is part of our forgiveness.

So, what should you do. Know that God loves you dearly and truly repent from your sin, ask for God’s forgiveness by the blood of Christ, accept that forgiveness and don’t look back.

Hope this helps in your walk, God bless

Upvote 0