Should I Literally Believe in Noah's Ark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethe

Jul 14, 2011
Somewhere in the Luminiferous Ether
✟1,671.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
This is a user name,

The story of Noah's Ark and the flood raise more questions than it answers.

Why do wooden ships built on Ark's scale (slightly smaller, ~300 ft) during the height of wooden shipbuilding in Europe leak like sieves even under light duty as barges, while at the same time Noah's Ark somehow managed to navigate the worst global catastrophe in history? And with only 6 people to man the pumps... whereas ships of much smaller size made in the 1800s had 20 people up to 24/hrs a day on pumps.

Why did the knowledge of ark building disappear only to reappear again thousands of years later?

How did 6 people tend to tens of thousands of animals?

The story of Noah's Ark and the flood raise more questions than it answers. So it is discardable.

Upvote 0

mathetes123

Dec 26, 2011
✟10,634.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello

This is my first post.

As a new Christian, should I literally believe in Noah's Ark and other biblical teachings such as the Story of Creation? Or could I see them as representative of moral truths? or what? Really confused. Thanks for any help.

Both Adam and Noah are listed in the geneology of Jesus Christ. As a Christian, you don't doubt the historicity of Jesus, so why would you doubt the historicity of the creation account or Noah's ark?

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello

This is my first post.

As a new Christian, should I literally believe in Noah's Ark and other biblical teachings such as the Story of Creation? Or could I see them as representative of moral truths? or what? Really confused. Thanks for any help.

Glad youre going to heaven !

Yes, you should take Noahs Ark and the Creation Story as genuine historical fact ; Jesus even spoke of them as historical events as did the Writers of the Bible. Just because Noahs Ark hasnt been found yet, doesnt mean you should write it off. A devoted Christian believes in the entirety of Gods Word, the Bible, and it is the ultimate truth source you can depend on since it never changes . You should to a google for Archeological Evidences that prove the Bible true...youd be AMAZED at what has been unearth that confirms the Bibles accuracy.

Stay away from Churches that dont believe in the literal Creation events of Genesis, Noahs Ark, or other events occuring in the Bible. These Churches are apostate and the Bible even warns us against them surfacing . Stay away from any Church that tries to infuse Stellar Evolution or Macro Evolution with the Creation Account of Genesis as a hybrid event . God totally made everything right from the start, fully formed , and fully functioning by his Will and Power and didnt waste any time in doing it.

Here is a good site for you to visit to give you alot more understanding of The Bible, Gods character, CHrist, his ressurection, morality, etc.... It is a very comprehensive categorical list and is the best ive seen in all my years as a Christian. Answers for Atheists and Agnostics

Stay close to God in these times because theres ALOT of things competing for your attention in our Culture. Things to deliberately take yoiu further away from God . Satan hates your decision to follow Christ , bit time, and he wont stop giving your temptations to leave your Walk and go the way of the world again. Peace.

Upvote 0

Faithvision

Dec 14, 2017
RAPID CITY
✟15,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
They are allegorical representations of theological concepts. Science has disproved the flood and literal creation story for hundreds of years now.
I think you need to do more studying. Science has never stated that the Great Flood never happened. What science is arguing is the dates that the flood occurred. Science uses to many assumptions. If scientists cannot agree on something they cannot prove, the assume. Assumptions have no place in the science world.

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Faithvision

Dec 14, 2017
RAPID CITY
✟15,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What traditional dating are you referring to?
The RATE project, (Radioisotopes and the Age of The Earth) has done much experimental field research on diamonds and coal, which the evolutionists claim are millions of years old, however Carbon 14 shows the diamonds and coal are only thousands of years old. That's only two experimental reasons why we believe the Bible is giving us the true age of the Earth. The RATE project was being studied between 1997 to 2005. Gods Word must be believed in the final authority on all matters about which it speaks of.

We have to remember that Scripture, not science, is the ultimate test of all truth. No one today has orders from God to reinterpret His infallible Word to make it fit any current fallible atheistic human opinions.

• Agree
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,088,496.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
There is a ton of scientific evidence for the Flood. Answersingenesis.org is one resource that is very helpful. Did you know that out of the countless billions of fossils we find globally, 90% of them are marine? I live in mid America. Here, as across the country, it is way not uncommon to find deep sea creatures' fossils, often in great condition. In the Grand Canyon alone there are billions of fossils of just one kind of sea creature alone, the nautilus, plus so many other fossils of ocean dwelling life forms. Now we are told that ribbon of water, the Colorado River, carved out the Grand Canyon. Where did it pick up, and how did it dump, those countless sea creatures there? Rhetorical Q.

However, before dealing with the topic of the Flood, it helps to tackle the real myth, the myth that makes people think the Flood is not true, that the whole Bible is not true. That is the myth of evolutionism. Let's take a look at it...
Let's look at the "Bible" of evolutionism, The Origin of Species. Maybe because it is so mind numbingly boring, people rarely notice something, namely that it never shows the origin of anything! Darwin's finch beaks are supposed to support goo through the zoo to you, but what do they really show? Zero.
Research reveals that the beaks grow back and forth in size depending on climate variations. The evidence that finches or Galapagos Island Turtles et al have ever been or ever will be anything but finches , G.I. turtles et al? Zero again.
Oh, and btw, as usual in evolutionary theory you are being told one thing while the opposite is true, as about natural selection. It does not lead to evolution as Darwin claimed. It only shuffles, or sometimes eliminates, pre existing information that has always been in the genes. It never creates new DNA as would be necessary, for ex., to turn a fin into a foot or a leg into a wing. Nothing ever observed creates new DNA. All DNA is just a copy of a copy of a copy which can be altered by things like mutations.
Beneficial mutations? They are said to be the second force for evolution. However, Charles Muller, who won a Nobel Prize for his work on them, said "The good ones are so rare that we can consider them all bad."
Darwin was nothing but an armchair theorist who, unlike his contemporary Mendel, never supported his theory through the scientific method and cast doubts on it himself. Yet he is an icon of evolution, like another contemporary, a lawyer named George Lyell, who came up with the totally fictional Geologic Column.
The GC exists only in art work. The real evidence? Fossils are jumbled, in no neatly organized pattern whatsoever. There really are no such things as Cambrian, Jurassic, and so on "periods." Like the GC those are just fictions presented as facts. Giant shark fossils are found with dino fossils in Montana, for ex. Whales' fossils are found in wildly improbable places like the Andes mountains, the Sahara and a desert in Chile. Deep sea "Cambrian" fossils, such as sea shells and mollusks, are found at every level on the planet, including on most mountain tops - like the world's highest, the Himalayans. Fossils of ocean floor trilobites are found in the hills of mid America and countless other places world wide, high and far inland.
Take a look. Notice the brown, somewhat egg shaped, fossil on a greyish background in the middle, 2nd row. That is an ocean floor dwelling, extinct, trilobite. Marine Fossils On Mountains - Bing images ) Notice the exquisitely preserved details on it. Now some claim "plate tectonics" moved those vast stretches of ocean dwelling, bottom floor, marine life fossils to travel for millions of years and then wrap around the tops of mountains, completely intact and with perfect detail as you see in the link. It's like they never even heard of erosion
(And please do not send me a post quoting Talk Origins, which I call Talk Spin. Yes, I know that they claim to to have found one GC on this entire, vast, planet. But they didn't. If you will check thoroughly you will see them saying "Some of the strata are out of place", i.e. there ain't any GC there, either. I am very familiar with TO. They have no problems with flat out lying and are not even an authentic science source. If you can find an authentic science source that shows a GC, include that with a link to a photo. Then explain why the rest of the planet shows the exact opposite of a GC. My experience is that knowledgeable evolution defending people will say "Well, the GC is just a model. We know none really exists." When I ask "How can you make a model of something that has no evidence whatsoever that it existed?" they don't respond.)
The Bible says that flood waters completely covered the whole earth after, for one thing, "the fountains of the deep broke forth." (Did you know there is an ocean below our commonly known oceans, or have you seen the mid Atlantic ridge which looks like it used to be a great crack on the ocean floor? Probably not.). The fossil record shows that marine life fossils are at every level on the planet, everywhere around the globe. And they say the Bible is not historical and not backed by science. And btw there are almost 300 Great Flood legends around the world. The one by the Aborigines of Australia is virtually identical to what the Bible reports.
So you've been told a book showed the origin of species, but it didn't. You've been told G.I. animals show evolution but they only show they are having, at most, minimal changes that leave them basically what they were before.
You were told there is a Geological Column, but there is not one on the planet. You're told over and over that natural selection shows evolutionism when it actually just somewhat modifies the organism through shifting already present information, or sometimes through loss of information, in the genomes, leaving it essentially what it was before. It may eventually become a new species of fish, or bee, or tree, etc., but it will always stay a fish, a bee or a tree etc. We see no evidence whatsoever of any species moving up to the next step on the Animal (ditto for plants) Kingdom, to become a new family, order, phylum or kingdom.

We have trillions of life forms out there. So why don't we see mutations causing any Lifeform A to turn into a Lifeform B? After all, their ancestors have supposedly had hundreds of millions of Darwin years to make the switch and be moving around as part A and part B. But fish are staying fish, birds and are staying birds, flowers are staying flowers, mold is staying mold, trees are staying trees, monkeys are staying monkeys, bacteria are staying bacteria, etc., no matter how much they change. In the real world we see new species but we never, ever see a species turning into the next step up on the animal kingdom (plants ditto), a different family, much less a different order, class, phylum or kingdom. Yet that would have had to have happened for evolution to occur, and it is claimed, with no evidence whatsoever, that it did happen over and over and over.
What else does evolutionism offer besides unsubstantiated theories, in fact theories that defy the real evidence, presented as facts? Logical fallacies. Logical fallacies always, always, undergird evolutionism defense.
The favorites are Correlation Does Not Imply Causation and Presuming Omniscience, though it uses many.
Correlation Does Not Imply Causation goes like this: "Look! Fossil A has some similarities to Fossil B! We'll use big words to sound impressive about that, like 'similar homology.' We have exactly zero evidence Fossil A even had a descendant, much less one significantly different from it, much less that it turned into B, C, D etc. But we are going to tell you, as gawd's truth scientific fact, that we know all about what happened to its evidenceless, unverifiable descendants. We'll call that science."
This leads right into the Presuming Omniscience logical fallacy. Another example of a use of that fallacy is when an evolutionary paleontologist will pick up a fossil from the ground and tell you with absolute authority that they know all about what happened to it's invisible "descendants" in the untestable past - for over 100 million Darwin years.
"Missing links" is a Presuming Omniscience logical fallacy phrase. How do you tell missing links from never existed links? Have...faith...brothers and sisters! And be so grateful that YOU ain't religious!
Learn how to spot logical fallacies and you will see them in every defense in evolutionary literature.
Ignoring the actual data is also part of evolutionism. For just one of innumerable examples, they say life can come from inorganic matter (and don't say they do not - who came up with the antiscientific primal pond, creationists?) The data, what real science uses, shows life, always and only, comes from life and life of the same kind.
Pile theories presented as facts on top of logical fallacies, ignore the real data or try to spin it away, and stir well with sophistry. Then you have evolutionary theory.
You're not a fish update. You have a Creator Who made you and loves you and wants you to know Him, and to love Him too. Don't trade that in for pseudo science mumbo jumbo.

--------------------Now, if anyone wants to debate all this, sorry. First, I don't have the time. 2nd, this is not a debate forum and we are told not to debate here. Third, those who want to find the facts an check them out easily online. It takes some time and study, but you will discover all the data you need, if you really want to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you're having trouble believing them as absolutely true, can you open your mind to the possibility of them being true? Ultimately, they tell us about God and they tell us about ourselves. Nothing is impossible with God. And we ourselves are very capable of all manner of disobedience, wickedness and short-sightedness. If nothing else, at least get that out of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello

This is my first post.

Yes. The vast majority of scripture must be taken literal. EXCEPT when the text CLEARLY denotes that is symbolic. It is the history book of the world. Taken literally it answers the four great questions of life. Remember this and you will fare well. God is RIGHT and the WORLD is WRONG.

• Agree
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Hello

This is my first post.

The Bible doesn't say it was a parable or analogy. Genesis 5 even gives a genealogy from Adam to Noah. And Jesus, Himself, refers to Noah, and so does Peter in his epistle. That should be enough Biblical evidence for any follower of Jesus. I would question any carnal minded Christian that doesn't believe the Bible, and Jesus. If they don't have the mind of Christ, they aren't even Christians and you shouldn't allow them to influence you with what the Bible calls "doctrine of demons." Satan wants you to question God, just like he did in the garden of Eden. Just stay on the straight and narrow and trust God, not evolutionists.

• Agree
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jonathan Cahn has a best selling book called the Paradigm. This book helps us to understand how to apply the Bible to our lives. Noah was a real person but no one can fully understand how his story applies to us and our lives today. This is why we need God to help us to understand. We do not need man to teach us as we are to be taught by the Holy Spirit of God.

Jeremiah 31:34 No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, 'Know the LORD,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest," declares the LORD. "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."

John 14 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 16 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ircular reasoning. The Bible is infallible because the Bible says so is a logical fallacy.
I was seeking God and God lead me to Jesus and Jesus showed me the Holy Spirit. Then the Holy Spirit taught me about Jesus and Jesus lead me back to the Father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And Jesus, Himself, refers to Noah, and so does Peter in his epistle.
In Luke Chapter 3 we see the geneology where Josoph was descended from Noah and Adam.

the son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, the son of Terah, the son of Nahor,
the son of Serug, the son of Reu, the son of Peleg, the son of Eber, the son of Shelah,
the son of Cainan, the son of Arphaxad, the son of Shem, the son of Noah, the son of Lamech,
the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch, the son of Jared, the son of Mahalalel, the son of Kenan,
the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did not notice the thread is 5 years old. But does it matter? The question in the OP is being asked all over the world every day.

The O.P. left Christian Forums more than 5 years ago. So who are you talking to?

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,088,496.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, let's see. I'm talking to you. I'm talking to other people who are reading this string and commenting on it. Currently. Why is that an issue with your? Rhetorical Q. Perhaps you could start a string of you own, like, Radagast's rules for posting here?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
AMBASSADOR HAT

Please remember that this is a forum for people to ask for Christian Advice. It is not a debate forum and is not the appropriate place to have a discourse on theology. If you wish to discuss theology amongst other posters besides the OP, please start a different thread in an appropriate forum, such as General Theology.

Due to the OP being gone from the forums since 2012, and due to the nature of the topic, I am locking this pending staff review.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.