Should I Literally Believe in Noah's Ark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually I've thought about that. If God created the universe, who created God? Or did he just exist....which baffles my mind. But then again I realize time is not a real thing per say. Most of the knowledge we have is from a human aspect. So we look at God and say "How can he just "exist" with no start?". But in reality, he does just exist. We just can't wrap our minds around it because we are so use to seeing patterns in life....birth, life, death...etc.

When we get to heaven we will understand everything and I bet alot of us will be like "Wow, now <insert subject> makes sense!".

Actually if you think about it, while some have a hard time understanding God justs "exists", no one seems to have any problem with the fact that there is no such thing as time in heaven. You'd think that would be harder to understand since everything we do revolves around time!

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
The Messiah taught that there was a great flood that wiped out
mankind and that a man Noah escaped with his family and
the animals that God sent to him in an ark...
No he didn't. He referenced a story about a flood to get across a message to his listeners. Jesus would not go, "Hey guys, by the way, you've heard about Noah right? Well, it scientifically didn't happen. The geological column proves that there was no single layer of sediment laid down, nor can the flood account for massive tectonic shifting of the continental crust, sea floor spreading, or orogenic uplifting. It was a story based on surrounding local flood myths that my Father used to convey a theological point!"

The flood was supposed to have occurred in the middle of the building of the Great Egyptian pyramids. Funny how the Egyptian civilization never noticed. Maybe aliens really did build the pyramids, but they did it under 6 miles of water?! And how does the Global flood account for not 1, but at least 5 major extinction level events that wiped out almost all life on earth? Where do asteroids fit in that completely disintegrated the majority of the planet and atmosphere? Do you think Noah's little boat could survive being hit by a wave of fire traveling at 1200 miles an hour with temperatures hotter than the surface of the sun and a wall of water over 1000 feet high?

Jesus was not a science teacher and would not waste his ministry on explaining concepts that did not even exist yet, to a largely illiterate audience.

This settles it for me because Jesus Christ is God with man
and so He is the one I choose to believe over you and anyone else....
Good for you. A global flood is still scientifically impossible and was disproved by Christian scientists over 200 years ago, when they were trying to prove it actually happened.

It is a matter of trust and Jesus is the one I choose to trust over
men with an agenda to interpret evidence to suit their own beliefs.
False dichotomy. Rejecting a literal flood does not mean one doesn't trust Jesus, it means they don't take Genesis literally. Jews haven't taken Genesis literally for hundreds of years. I'll trust most Jewish thought on the matter over Conservative Christians. Even Augustine ridiculed Christians for speaking about things they don't know related to Genesis. Christianity has been embarrassed enough by people with poor education and an unwillingness to admit they could be wrong. I'm not going to add to that embarrassment and make more people on the fence reject it over something as solidly disproved as a Global flood.

It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation. &#8212; De Genesi ad literam 1:19&#8211;20, Chapt. 19 [408]

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
It most definitely can and will!!! You can not fully have faith and knowledge of God's power and sovereignty if you do not believe in the miracles and events that God himself performed.

Well, then I guess atheism wins, since if we can only take ridiculous stories from Genesis, that 100% absolutely did not happen, proven for hundreds of years as false, as literal truth, than Christianity is wrong.

Of course, I'm not silly enough to reject an entire belief system on something as stupid as a Global flood not occurring.

But to each their own. I will believe reality, you can believe whatever you want.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
welcome brother,noahs ark is true,it happened ,noah a man of great faith, it took him 100 years to build . today even the shipbuilders say it was the perfect ship for chopy seas.

No, actually shipbuilders say it was impossible for the Ark to be seaworthy based on the Biblical specifications.

Stop listening to Answers in Genesis. They do not conduct scientific research.

Upvote 0

twob4me

Shark bait hoo ha ha
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2003
Here :)
✟215,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread has gone through a clean up. If you notice a post of yours missing it was removed in the clean up. Please remember this board rule:

Congregational Forum Restrictions, Christian Only Forums, and Off-Topic posts
Do not teach or debate in any Congregational Forum unless you are truly a member and share its core beliefs and teachings. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not.

Do not post in the forums reserved for Christians only, unless you are truly a Nicene Creed, Trinitarian Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox doctrines, you may do so in Unorthodox Theology.

Respect and become familiar with each forum's Statement of Purpose. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose; submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion. Off Topic posts will be moved or removed.

You can find that listed within the Christian Forums Rules / Terms of Service

This is a Christian only area. Only those members with a Christian Faith icon can post. Please review the list of available Faith Icons on CF

Documentation of thread clean up is HERE

~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT OFF!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus names Noah and said that he entered the ark so how is that a figure, how is that an allegory when Jesus names Noah and points to a time (the days of Noah) Noah lived as an example of the wickedness that would be rampant on the earth before Christ returns.

Jesus also states that there was a flood as He tells us of the days
leading up to the sudden destruction of those who scoffed at Noah
and his warnings to repent and turn to God.

Jesus can not be a liar, lunatic and Son of God all at once.

If Jesus lied then He can not be the Son of God.
If Jesus was insane then He was not the Son of God.

IF JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD THEN HE CANNOT LIE SO WHEN HE SAYS
THERE WAS A FLOOD AND A PERSON NAMED NOAH WAS SAVED BY
GOING INTO AN ARK THAT GOD HAD COMMANDED HIM TO BUILD,
THEN JESUS CHRIST IS TELLING THE TRUTH AND ALL OTHERS WHO DISAGREE ARE NOT.

Matthew 24:37
JESUS SPEAKING:
But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.
38 For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking,
marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,
Jesus said it and I believe it.
How can we call Jesus Christ Lord if we doubt His knowledge
of what is real and what is fantasy.

Jesus speaking about Noah and the flood is huge and leaves no doubt
in my mind that all happened as revealed in the Bible.

The same mentality that discounts the Bible of old and its accounts
is the same mentality that reasons away miracles and the
need for them today.

Go to a third world country where the knowledge of men is limited and miracles
happen at an accelerate pace but come to america where our heads are filled
with theories and concrete and miracles are hard to come by.

If we do not have faith in Christ and what He has told us, how can we
believe His intentions toward us and how can we ask for and receive
all that He offers to us that requires faith first before He will give it to us.

It is about a relationship and God wants us to trust Him like a child would
trust so that our lives will be based on Him and not what we think
or what men who have agendas against there being a God would tell us is true.

Jesus said it best, you must be like a child to get it....
You must be like a little child to receive God's wisdom and truth.

Matthew 13:58
And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
John 12:37
Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence,
they still would not believe in him.
Hebrews 3:12
See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful,
unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Messiah taught that there was a great flood that wiped out
mankind and that a man Noah escaped with his family and
the animals that God sent to him in an ark...

This settles it for me because Jesus Christ is God with man
and so He is the one I choose to believe over you and anyone else....

It is a matter of trust and Jesus is the one I choose to trust over
men with an agenda to interpret evidence to suit their own beliefs.

One presupposition upon another is no way to make your case.

Upvote 0

mathetes123

Dec 26, 2011
✟10,634.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello

This is my first post.

As a new Christian, should I literally believe in Noah's Ark and other biblical teachings such as the Story of Creation? Or could I see them as representative of moral truths? or what? Really confused. Thanks for any help.

If a person can believe in evolution, which involves random chance, why is it so hard to believe the creation account or the account of the flood, which involves an intelligent designer?

I believe the Bible is intended to be interpreted literally except where the context indicates otherwise. The creation account and the account of the flood were literal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One presupposition upon another is no way to make your case.
It isn't a case, it is Christ.

Doubt all you like and allow the enemy to rob you
of the child like faith you need to see the hand of God in your life
and keep trusting in the wisdom of man and when you need help,
trust in your own strength to bring you through.

No one is preventing you from doing as you please as you build
your own life around the many presupposition that you call facts.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
If a person can believe in evolution, which involves random chance, why is it so hard to believe the creation account or the account of the flood, which involves an intelligent designer?
Because evolution is the most well evidence theory in earth's existence. A global flood has not a single shred of evidence attesting to its existence. So either it didn't happen, or God erased all the evidence which is called deception.

I believe the Bible is intended to be interpreted literally except where the context indicates otherwise. The creation account and the account of the flood were literal.
Why do you assume Genesis was intended to be literal? It's a Hebrew Song based on surrounding flood myths that the Hebrews based their theology on.

Most Jews haven't taken Genesis literally for hundreds of years.

Upvote 0

like eagleswings

discovering
Dec 28, 2011
england
✟16,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Because evolution is the most well evidence theory in earth's existence. A global flood has not a single shred of evidence attesting to its existence. So either it didn't happen, or God erased all the evidence which is called deception.

Why do you assume Genesis was intended to be literal? It's a Hebrew Song based on surrounding flood myths that the Hebrews based their theology on.

Most Jews haven't taken Genesis literally for hundreds of years.

so what do you say about the bow or rainbow ,that god gave as a sighn ,that
God promised or covenant he would never destroy the earth whith a flood again.

i seen at ,i would say most have seen a rainbow or bow,over a very dark rain cloud.

Upvote 0

mathetes123

Dec 26, 2011
✟10,634.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
this is a user name said:
Hello

This is my first post.

As a new Christian, should I literally believe in Noah's Ark and other biblical teachings such as the Story of Creation? Or could I see them as representative of moral truths? or what? Really confused. Thanks for any help.

I think you will find that most of the contention you will find among Christians over these points is directly proportional to the degree to which they hold the bible in authority. I believe the bible was intended to be interpreted literally, except where the context indicates otherwise. The bible says the holy spirit will lead you into all truth. Don't accept on face value what I say or what anyone else on this forum says, but verify everything against scripture as the Berens did. There are many people spreading false teachings. Consider the parable of the wheat and the tares. It is important that you have a working knowledge of scripture through daily reading, prayer and the leading of the holy spirit so you are not deceived.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think you will find that most of the contention you will find among Christians over these points is directly proportional to the degree to which they hold the bible in authority.

Particularly if you define Biblical authority as accepting what it says literally, which seems to be pretty common among conservatives.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
so what do you say about the bow or rainbow ,that god gave as a sighn ,that
The same thing I would say about the Greeks believing Lightning and Thunder was caused by Zeus throwing lightning bolts down from Mount Olympus. Mythological concepts created from a society who had no explanation for the events they saw.

Rainbows are caused by sunlight refracting through water droplets in the atmosphere. Light refraction was unknown to the Hebrews, so they thought God caused it and added it to their stories.

God promised or covenant he would never destroy the earth whith a flood again.
And why can't that be metaphorical? A symbolic representation of God's reconciliation and mercy over the state of humanity intertwined in a Hebrew mythological story based on surrounding flood myths like the Epic of Gilgamesh.

The Jews borrowed their theology from surrounding cultures. The flood is no different.

i seen at ,i would say most have seen a rainbow or bow,over a very dark rain cloud.
The fact that rainbows do not always appear during heavy rain storms should prove that it's not really related to God's covenant. It's not very consistent.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you will find that most of the contention you will find among Christians over these points is directly proportional to the degree to which they hold the bible in authority. I believe the bible was intended to be interpreted literally, except where the context indicates otherwise. The bible says the holy spirit will lead you into all truth. Don't accept on face value what I say or what anyone else on this forum says, but verify everything against scripture as the Berens did. There are many people spreading false teachings. Consider the parable of the wheat and the tares. It is important that you have a working knowledge of scripture through daily reading, prayer and the leading of the holy spirit so you are not deceived.

So do you believe the Earth is flat and geocentric, or do you claim that's figure of speech or metaphor? The Hebrews certainly believed the Earth was flat and geocentric. Why don't you?

Why do you selectively choose to take literal what you want? It seems rather coincidental that literalists always take literal that which they don't understand (Evolution, Geophysics, etc.) but reject as literal that which is pretty hard to deny (The Earth revolving around the Sun).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.