Should Christians rest on the Sabbath (saturday) and rejoice on the Lords day (sunday)?

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Now if only anti-Sabbath persons would extend the same courtesy to those who rest on the Sabbath Saturday that would be true peace.

Have I ever said you could NOT rest/worship on the Sabbath? All I ask is that you respect OUR decision/background/whatever to rest/worship on Sunday!

Upvote 0

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Have you ever polished gold? It is the nastiest, dirtiest experience I can think of. There is this big motor turning at 3250 rpm, and there are wheels that you have to change to scratch out any marks, and then a finer wheel to scratch out the larger scratches, etc. Then you have to use this big fluffy wheel that throws out lots of dust--on your face, on your clothes, all around! You put something called tripoli on it, and you get a dull shine. Another dusty wheel with rouge puts on the final polish.

Polishing the gold bricks in Heaven is my idea of the least in His kingdom. However, if that is my lot I will gladly do it.
Sounds interesting, isnt the lake of fire in the kingdom tho?

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To be fair the Catholic church has changed many things. they changed worship to Sunday they also omitted the second commandment about worshiping images because they do that a lot in their Church. And when asked why they changed worship from Saturday to Sunday they said there authority supercedes the authority of the word of God.

First, please learn how to spell properly. It is their, and not there. Also, it is supersedes, spelled with an S.

Forgive me, but no pope or bishop has ever stated (and made it a point of doctrine) that their authority is greater than God's. Didn't happen. Find a link to the Vatican that says that, and give us that link, and I will apologize.

Also, read this link.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Have I ever said you could NOT rest/worship on the Sabbath? All I ask is that you respect OUR decision/background/whatever to rest/worship on Sunday!
If it wasn't an issue threads, discussions, about it would not come to exist.

Everyone defends their own way of living what they believe.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sounds interesting, isnt the lake of fire in the kingdom tho?

No, it is outside the gates. See Rev 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life. (KJV)

Reactions: 1John2:4
Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

If SUNday worshippers want to worship on SUNday they must stop trying to argue that SUNday is a day that has been blessed of God. The bible is clear. There is NO place in the bible that tells anybody to worship on SUNday, yet most denominations that worship on SUNday keep trying to deceive people into believing that the SUNday is THE sabbath when it is not. They try to tell people that the SUNday is THE Lord's day, it is not.
When SUNday worshiping denominations stop deceiving people then the Holy Spirit could be poured out on their churches, and instead of their numbers diminishing they will grow abundantly. When we rely on man to interpret God's word we are placing man in the place of God. The first church was full of fishermen, tax collector, and even the murder Paul! They had NO credentials except that the Holy Spirit was working mightily with and through them, which He will do with ALL who obey Him like we read in Acts 5:32.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Should Christians rest on the Sabbath (saturday) and also rejoice on the Lords day (sunday) ?

I'd like to hear from both Sabbath keeping Christians and Sunday keeping Christians

God bless
Rom 14:5
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

I'm "fully persuaded in my own mind" that "Every day is like any other day", and that MY "Sabbath" is Jesus - in whom I REST 24/7/365. Tuesday Evening is as good a "Lord's Day" as Sunday - except if you want to gather with the church, Chances are SUNDAY is when you need to do it (because that's WHEN the majority of the Church gathers for edification and worship in their buildings). The "Sabbatarians", of course "Spin it" differently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 14:5-6 (AKJV)
5 One man esteems one day above another: another esteems every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regards the day, regards it to the Lord; and he that regards not the day, to the Lord he does not regard it. He that eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he that eats not, to the Lord he eats not, and gives God thanks.

Colossians 2:13-17 (AKJV)
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, has he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Even not related to the current anything
(i.e. without considering the OP of this thread)
this
WORD is very necessary and powerful on God's Part.
The battle is God's not man's.

Be becoming as a little child:
a little child trusting God
"fully persuaded in his own mind"
so all things are truthfully BY FAITH in GOD as God Permits.

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Okay, what day of the week am I allowed to act in a sinful and profane manner?
Bob, what is this unhealthy fascination that you have about which day of the week you are called to worship?

If you feel that it is necessary to worship on Saturday, go ahead. But please give us the same courtesy that we extend to you.

You have taken my post out of context by only using a portion of it. I stated "Aside from this anybody can worship on any day they choose. Once they try to insert false teachings into God's holy word the KJV bible then it becomes a huge issue." By telling people lies IE THE SABBATH IS SUNDAY or THE SUNDAY IS THE LORD'S DAY then there is a problem. The sabbath is NOT SUNday, neither is SUNday the Lord's day. When God defines something and man presumes to redefine it???? Figure that one out for yourself and please use my whole post instead of trying to make me look bad by quoting bits and pieces and leaving the rest out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
False. What most Christians say is that gathering for worship has been on the first day of the week since the beginning, and is testified throughout the history of the Church. What is not argued is that God has made Sunday a new sabbath or that God has commanded that we worship on Sunday. We worship on Sunday because this is the practice handed down to us from the earliest days of the Christian Church. That is our argument.

That is my point. You can worship on any day you want to but you can only call the seventh day the sabbath, or even the Lord's day. Far too many denominations try to place man's blessings on God's day by calling the SUNday the sabbath which it is not. This is very deceptive and will cause the loss of many soul when the time to decide comes. Very soon we will have to decide to either follow man by keeping SUNday holy, or God by keeping His sabbath day holy.

It absolutely is. The phrases kyriake and kyriake hemera have been used throughout the history of Christianity to refer to the first day of the week. Kyriake here is the dative, not the genitive. That is, it is not "which belongs to the Lord" (genitive) but rather "which is to the Lord". That this refers to the day on which Christ rose from the dead--the first day of the week--is the consistent opinion and position of the Christian Church.

It matters zero what the church defines when it comes to God's holy word. The church can define whatever it wants to define, but do not presume to place God's blessings on something God plainly set apart for His church. And "the church", "early fathers" whatever you want to call them, they are not God. They have as much authority over God's word as I do. The Holy Spirit is the guide. To place the church in that place is blasphemy at best. To say that the church interprets scripture is way out of line, because God's holy word the KJV bible tells me different in John 14:26 & 16:13. Even in 1John:2:27: We read this "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." We are to let no man teach us. God's anointing, which is the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit is to lead and guide us into all things relating to Jesus.

When your church stops teaching the errors of your false prophet and starts preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ, then you'll get to give advice to the rest of us. Until then it is worthless.

I have tried every denomination. Every denomination has the brick wall of tradition which is when they place their denomination dogmas above the bible.That is when I moved on to the next. There is absolute zero argument against the seventh day sabbath. The only thing you can come up with is church tradition.

For the sake of your soul, any denomination that tries to change God's word to fit their denomination must be left. We personally must put God's word above any denominational tradition, in other words move on to another denomination like I did.

God bless your studies

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Rom 14:5
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

I'm "fully persuaded in my own mind" that "Every day is like any other day", and that MY "Sabbath" is Jesus - in whom I REST 24/7/365. Tuesday Evening is as good a "Lord's Day" as Sunday - except if you want to gather with the church, Chances are SUNDAY is when you need to do it (because that's WHEN the CHurch gathers.

Most professors of Christianity use this bible verse not knowing what it means. Does this context even mention worship? Like John Denver said "some days are diamonds, some days are stones". Some days we feel like we are closer to God and other days we feel separated. The idea is that we are to draw close to God every day, and not play the one day a week "Christian".

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Viacrucis said: It absolutely is. The phrases kyriake and kyriake hemera have been used throughout the history of Christianity to refer to the first day of the week. Kyriake here is the dative, not the genitive. That is, it is not "which belongs to the Lord" (genitive) but rather "which is to the Lord". That this refers to the day on which Christ rose from the dead--the first day of the week--is the consistent opinion and position of the Christian Church.

I would rather take Jesus word for it not mans. The bible says that the Lord's day is the sabbath. Most of Christendom has been fooled into believing that the SUNday is the Lord's day just because someone says it is, but Jesus said this a couple times Matthew:12:8: "For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day." If Jesus is Lord of the sabbath that makes the sabbath day the Lord's day. There is really no argument here. Just Because John was in the spirit on "the Lord's day" does not mean SUNday is the Lord's day.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, has he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The Sabbath was a SHADOW of things to come. A reality replaced that SHADOW, and the reality was the Lord Jesus Christ. So, the Sabbath is a moot issue for a real Christian. A real Christian rests IN the Lord Jesus Christ 24/7/365. The Lord Jesus Christ is Lord over ALL days - not just one.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You have taken my post out of context by only using a portion of it.

I was being sarcastic! The whole idea is that ALL of the days of the week, being created by God, are available to worship.

Did you know that the Jews (at least the Orthodox ones) still worship EVERY day. There is a morning and evening service. The Sabbath is for REST! There is nothing in the OT about worshiping on Sabbath. All of the people in the household, from father and mother down to great grand kids, plus servants and all of the animals are forbidden to WORK. The only work you are allowed to do is taking care of the animals--feeding them, milking cows, sheep and goats, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I was being sarcastic! The whole idea is that ALL of the days of the week, being created by God, are available to worship.

Did you know that the Jews (at least the Orthodox ones) still worship EVERY day. There is a morning and evening service. The Sabbath is for REST! There is nothing in the OT about worshiping on Sabbath. All of the people in the household, from father and mother down to great grand kids, plus servants and all of the animals are forbidden to WORK. The only work you are allowed to do is taking care of the animals--feeding them, milking cows, sheep and goats, etc.

I agree that we can worship on every day. I personally have morning devotion to start off my day with the certainty that the Holy Spirit is guiding everything I do say and write on these forums. With these days of extreme deception, trials and uncertainty I suggest that every Christian do the same, for the sake of their souls so they are not deceived.

You say that the OT says nothing about worshiping on the sabbath? Honestly I try not to argue on these sites. I try to agree whenever possible, but if you read the first verse of the forth commandment Exodus:20:8: "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." What does it mean to keep IT holy? Also the last verse of the forth commandment Exodus:20:11: "For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." and also about the seventh day of creation we read Genesis:2:3: "And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." In these verses we read language like "hallowed it" and "sanctified it". These words are highly significant to those who listen to others opinions about what the OT states about the sabbath. Sanctified means to set apart for a holy use. The sabbath day is a holy day, and is set apart for mankind for holy purposes. Please stop your ears to all the deceivers who are going so far as to even say that the word Christian is not even in the bible. There is a movement which, I believe started with Joel Osteen that states that they are not Christians, they are followers of Jesus. This deception is dangerous, because like I just read this morning in my devotion found in Luke:9:26: "For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels." God's word is very plain and we must study His word or we will be deceived like Jesus said in Matthew:24:24: "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect." Brendon, if we are not the very elect, we will be deceived.

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

The Sabbath was a SHADOW of things to come. A reality replaced that SHADOW, and the reality was the Lord Jesus Christ. So, the Sabbath is a moot issue for a real Christian. A real Christian rests IN the Lord Jesus Christ 24/7/365. The Lord Jesus Christ is Lord over ALL days - not just one.

If you understand what the sabbath DAYS are you will know that colossians is not even referring to the TEN commandments, nor the seventh day sabbath. The ordinances Paul is referring to in colossians is the book of the law which Moses wrote in a book Deuteronomy:31:24-26: "And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished, That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying, Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee." The sabbath DAYS are referring to all the feast days. The verse in colossians states let no man judge you in regads to meat offerings, drink offerings or in repsct of holy days and feast days (sabbaths). These are the shadow of the cross. NOT the TEN commandments. If we follow these shadow rituals to the cross the shadow is gone.

Upvote 0