Should Christians rest on the Sabbath (saturday) and rejoice on the Lords day (sunday)?

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should Christians rest on the Sabbath (saturday) and also rejoice on the Lords day (sunday) ?

I'd like to hear from both Sabbath keeping Christians and Sunday keeping Christians

God bless

Christ is our Sabbath not a day of the week If you say you're a Christian but still keep the Sabbath then you've completely misunderstood the purpose of the Sabbath

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Should Christians rest on the Sabbath (saturday) and also rejoice on the Lords day (sunday) ?

I'd like to hear from both Sabbath keeping Christians and Sunday keeping Christians

God bless

I go to seventh day adventist sometimes but I also might go to another church on Sunday instead, or no church at all. The reason I don't go every sunday is sometimes I suffer from sociaphobia and can't attend.

I figure if I would be perfect I wouldn't work on either and worship on both. I don't usually have a job where I work normally on Saturday or Sunday so that is normally not an issue for me. I do remember Jesus saying the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So man wouldn't work 7 days a week. I contemplate and talk to God 7 days a week too so I don't think that's an issue for me either.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
please enlighten me, what is the purpose of the Sabbath?

The Sabbath was for Jews who lived before Christ and was a shadow of the rest we would have in Christ. But now we have no need of the shadow because we have the real thing. Christ has come and is our Sabbath Our rest is in Christ, not in a day of the week.

I find it odd that you say you're a Christian and have a screen name like "grace through faith" but don't know this. If you believe in grace, then why remain under the law?

Upvote 0

gracethroughfaith

Sep 14, 2016
:)
✟7,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Sabbath was for Jews who lived before Christ and was a shadow of the rest we would have in Christ. But now we have no need of the shadow because we have the real thing. Christ has come and is our Sabbath Our rest is in Christ, not in a day of the week.

I find it odd that you say you're a Christian and have a screen name like "grace through faith" but don't know this. If you believe in grace, then why remain under the law?

Thank you for replying. Can you show me in the Bible where it says Jesus Christ is our Sabbath rest? Just because I ask a question doesn't mean I subscribe to it. Don't assume.

God bless

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, it is one thing to know, another thing to do :)

Jesus gives us rest, spiritually. And Jesus is on Heaven's throne where there are no days of the week which are determined by the relative position of the sun around the earth. And if we are in Jesus, we have been made to sit together with Him in the Heavenly places (Ephesians 2:4-7), where His rest is (Matthew 11:28-30).

Now, yes, the Bible does prophesy that God's people will keep His Sabbaths, but also it is written how on the new earth there will be no night in the New Jerusalem (Revelation 21:23-25, 22:5). Jesus will be our Light. And Paul says not to despise those who esteem one day more than another, right?

And God's word is meant to discern and expose our real motives (Hebrews 4:12). So, one thing I need to not be doing is trying to find ways to excuse me to look down on other people. But yes I do this. I need to rest from this and its self-righteous workings which can be going on in my mind!!

In the time of Jesus, there were Pharisees whose minds were working very hard, during the Sabbath . . . working very hard to criticize Jesus. And now I suppose there are certain people whose minds on the Sabbath are working quite hard to congratulate themselves that they are doing what is so superior to those who do not copy-cat their ways of acting during the Sabbath. Meanwhile, I might imagine there are Sunday worshipers who can be working very hard in their minds to think down on and talk down on ones who keep the Sabbath.

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

This is what I need to work on, every day :)

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for replying. Can you show me in the Bible where it says Jesus Christ is our Sabbath rest? Just because I ask a question doesn't mean I subscribe to it. Don't assume.

God bless

Hebrews 10:1; Hebrews 10:12; Hebrews 4; Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:27

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Christ is our Sabbath not a day of the week If you say you're a Christian but still keep the Sabbath then you've completely misunderstood the purpose of the Sabbath

Does that go for the other 9 commandments as well, or is this the only one you think Christians get to skip? So God thinks the other 9 commandments are good for everyone but the whole Sabbath thing is only good for the Jews? Seems unlikely.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Does that go for the other 9 commandments as well, or is this the only one you think Christians get to skip? So God thinks the other 9 commandments are good for everyone but the whole Sabbath thing is only good for the Jews? Seems unlikely.

The Scriptures are quite clear about the Sabbath. It is part of the Old Covenant (Ex. 31:16)

Exo 31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

With the end of the covenant with national Israel, a new day of rest has come in the New Covenant. The Sabbath looked forward to the rest finished in Christ. To keep the Sabbath is, in effect, saying that the Messiah has not come yet, while keeping the Resurrection Day as a day of celebrating Christ's victory over death, is to acknowledge that Jesus of Nazareth was indeed the promised Messiah.

The Sabbath has been changed from Saturday to Sunday, just as the Passover has been changed into the Holy Eucharist and circumcision has been changed into baptism. The New Covenant has changed a great deal of things.

Upvote 0

gracethroughfaith

Sep 14, 2016
:)
✟7,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The Scriptures are quite clear about the Sabbath. It is part of the Old Covenant (Ex. 31:16)

Exo 31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

With the end of the covenant with national Israel, a new day of rest has come in the New Covenant. The Sabbath looked forward to the rest finished in Christ. To keep the Sabbath is, in effect, saying that the Messiah has not come yet, while keeping the Resurrection Day as a day of celebrating Christ's victory over death, is to acknowledge that Jesus of Nazareth was indeed the promised Messiah.

The Sabbath has been changed from Saturday to Sunday, just as the Passover has been changed into the Holy Eucharist and circumcision has been changed into baptism. The New Covenant has changed a great deal of things.

The Sabbath day and the Resurrection day are two completely different days.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God rested on the seventh day after He completed creation. God made this a day of rest, since He rested on that day. A man turns around and says, no, I want man to rest on the 1st day to separate their religion from other religions.

It has nothing to do with Jesus but God and man. Make up any excuse you want, but God never changed the day of rest from Saturday to Sunday. Luckily in the modern era we get both Saturday and Sunday off so it becomes a non issue. And since we are supposed to worship God in spirit and in truth seven days a week that should be a non issue too. Although if I had my own way I would change the day of worship back to Saturday.

Matt 15:9
But in vain, do they worship me, teaching precepts, the commandments of men.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath day and the Resurrection day are two completely different days.

Fine. It you wish to draw this distinction, then as I said in my post the day of rest has been changed because the Jews have destroyed the Old Covenant, to which the Sabbath belonged. The Resurrection Day is now our day of rest to acknowledge the rest we have in Christ.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God rested on the seventh day after He completed creation. God made this a day of rest, since He rested on that day. A man turns around and says, no, I want man to rest on the 1st day to separate their religion from other religions.

It has nothing to do with Jesus but God and man. Make up any excuse you want, but God never changed the day of rest from Saturday to Sunday.

And you are just.....wrong. Learn the Covenant of God. Scripture states that the Sabbath Day belonged to the Old Covenant:

If there is no longer a specific covenant of God with the nation of Israel, then there is no day of rest on Saturday either.

Luckily in the modern era we get both Saturday and Sunday off so it becomes a non issue. And since we are supposed to worship God in spirit and in truth seven days a week that should be a non issue too. Although if I had my own way I would change the day of worship back to Saturday.

Matt 15:9
But in vain, do they worship me, teaching precepts, the commandments of men.

That would pretty much describe Baptist teachings, considering that they didn't show up for 1500 years after the Apostles walked and talked on the earth, teaching what Jesus taught them. How you can say what you said with a straight face is quite beyond me, knowing that what the Baptists teach is nowhere found in the homilies and sermons of the first century.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tineke J

Sep 17, 2016
Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just wondered where it says in the bible that 'Christ is the Sabbath? Where does it say that in the Bible? Nowhere as far as I can say.
Messianic Jews hold the Sabbath on the Saturday, sunset to sunset. other Christians have their rest day on the Sunday. All by all, it does not matter which day you do it, as long as you do it in truth, in honest attitude, on the day that God has made clear to you that you should keep it to glorify His Holy Name.

Reactions: Jim Langston
Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I just wondered where it says in the bible that 'Christ is the Sabbath? Where does it say that in the Bible? Nowhere as far as I can say.
Messianic Jews hold the Sabbath on the Saturday, sunset to sunset. other Christians have their rest day on the Sunday. All by all, it does not matter which day you do it, as long as you do it in truth, in honest attitude, on the day that God has made clear to you that you should keep it to glorify His Holy Name.

And where does it say in the Bible that you have to find everything spelled out word for word or it is not true?

The Scriptures teach in a number of ways and not just by interpreting everything literally word for word. For instance, most Fundamentalists I know would understand that King David is a type of Christ. They would use typology in this instance. Scripture also teaches by principles, moral law, parables, stories, and metaphors.

Is God a "father" in the earthly sense? Of course not, but the title "father" is used so that we have a better picture of God as loving and caring for us, a picture in opposition to the dreaded pagan gods who demanded human sacrifice.

It very much does matter which day you keep. When you keep the Sabbath, you in principle are saying that the Messiah has not come, that the Old Covenant and Judaism are still in force, and that we are not in the Sabbath rest of Christ. Furthermore, the Church of both East and West accepted this change as taking place as they slowly came to understand that the Old Covenant is dead and that the Christian faith has replaced it. So by saying that the Sabbath is still in force, you oppose 1500 years of theologians who are far, far smarter than both of us combined.

Upvote 0

Tineke J

Sep 17, 2016
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And where does it say in the Bible that you have to find everything spelled out word for word or it is not true?

The Scriptures teach in a number of ways and not just by interpreting everything literally word for word. For instance, most Fundamentalists I know would understand that King David is a type of Christ. They would use typology in this instance. Scripture also teaches by principles, moral law, parables, stories, and metaphors.

Is God a "father" in the earthly sense? Of course not, but the title "father" is used so that we have a better picture of God as loving and caring for us, a picture in opposition to the dreaded pagan gods who demanded human sacrifice.

It very much does matter which day you keep. When you keep the Sabbath, you in principle are saying that the Messiah has not come, that the Old Covenant and Judaism are still in force, and that we are not in the Sabbath rest of Christ. Furthermore, the Church of both East and West accepted this change as taking place as they slowly came to understand that the Old Covenant is dead and that the Christian faith has replaced it. So by saying that the Sabbath is still in force, you oppose 1500 years of theologians who are far, far smarter than both of us combined.

I am not arguing about the fact if it needs to be literal. I just asked and wondered where it said that Christ is the sabbath as someone mentioned this.
However, in a way you are right that not everything is spelled out word for word as otherwise Jesus didn't need to use illustrations... It shows there already.
However, if a statement about Christ is made, I like to know where it has been mentioned or in which way as I seek to follow Christ through scripture as it is Gods holy word.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
However, if a statement about Christ is made, I like to know where it has been mentioned or in which way as I seek to follow Christ through scripture as it is Gods holy word.

Fair question.

Exodus 31: 16

In order to understand the impact of this verse on the Saturday Sabbath, you must have a good working understanding of a covenant. This verse ties the Sabbath directly to the Old Covenant with the Jews. Since the Old Covenant is over (Heb. 8:13), then the Saturday Sabbath gets deep-sixed with it.

Upvote 0

Tineke J

Sep 17, 2016
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fair question.

Exodus 31: 16

In order to understand the impact of this verse on the Saturday Sabbath, you must have a good working understanding of a covenant. This verse ties the Sabbath directly to the Old Covenant with the Jews. Since the Old Covenant is over (Heb. 8:13), then the Saturday Sabbath gets deep-sixed with it.
Still doesn't say that God is the Sabbath though ;-)

Upvote 0