Should Christians rest on the Sabbath (saturday) and rejoice on the Lords day (sunday)?

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The Sabbath was a shadow of things to come, and it was replaced with the reality of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is the Lord over all days - not just one. I rest in Jesus Christ 24/7/365.
Is this claim in the bible? If so, where?

Upvote 0

Jeepneytravel

Feb 11, 2017
Asia Pacific
✟33,173.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath was a shadow of things to come, and it was replaced with the reality of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is the Lord over all days - not just one. I rest in Jesus Christ 24/7/365.

You are still confused between God's law, the Ten commandments and the Mosaic law the 600 sacrificial etc laws...this is what your post is referring to. The Sabbath referred to in the law of Moses is the annual Sabbath, the first day of unleavened bread after the passover..nothing to do with God's ten commandments, and the weekly 7th day Sabbath...

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is this claim in the bible? If so, where?

Colossians 2:13-17 (KJV) 13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 [And] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body [is] of Christ.

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Colossians 2:13-17 (KJV) 13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 [And] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body [is] of Christ.
Handwriting of ordinances is a list of our offences (our sins) not God's law.

If you read it in context Paul is speaking of traditions and doctrine of MEN not and to not discourage them from the faith. I included the verses before and after because I believe they salitfy Paul's point.

8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.

20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— 21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” 22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men?

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Those who holler the loudest about keeping the Sabbath usually don't know what it is, who it applies to, and what the requirements are of keeping it. In other words, they don't keep it.

Sabbath General Reference:

Exodus 16:23-29, Exodus 20:8-11, Exodus 34:21, Exodus 35:3, Deuteronomy 5:12-15, Nehemiah 10:31, Nehemiah 13:15-19, Jeremiah 17:21, Ezekiel 46:3

Sabbath as an Eternal Sign between the LORD and the Children of Israel (Not the Church - Body of Christ):

Exodus 31:12-17

Sabbath as in Sabbatical YEAR:

Exodus 23:10-11, Leviticus 25:2-7, Leviticus 25:20-22, Deuteronomy 15

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Those who holler the loudest about keeping the Sabbath usually don't know what it is, who it applies to, and what the requirements are of keeping it. In other words, they don't keep it.

Exodus 16:23-29, Exodus 20:8-11, Exodus 34:21, Exodus 35:3, Deuteronomy 5:12-15, Nehemiah 10:31, Nehemiah 13:15-19, Jeremiah 17:21, Ezekiel 46:3

Sabbath as an Eternal Sign between the LORD and the Children of Israel (Not the Church - Body of Christ):

And then there is this...BOOM!

Genesis 2:2-3

The Sabbath was made for anthrōpon (Adam in Hebrew), not anthrōpos (Adam) for the Sabbath.

Reactions: 1John2:4
Upvote 0

Jeepneytravel

Feb 11, 2017
Asia Pacific
✟33,173.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to have a real hate for God's Holy Sabbath day...He created the seventh day of the week, as a Holy day Genesis 2..on which He rested, He blessed the day and sanctified it....there were no Hebrews, Gentiles, Jews or whatever, just humankind......the Holy seventh day Sabbath is as much a part of Creation as we are...
But the "enlightened christians" in todays world would sooner follow the pagan based Roman system who changed God's 7th day Holy day to the pagan based 1st day of the week (Sunday)without any Bible authority, in honour of their sungod..that seems to be okay with the vast majority of "christians"...
The Holy seventh day is God's day and a gift from the Creator to us to shut out the world for a whole 24 hours each week, and spend the time with families and friends in Bible study, prayer, singing praises, family discussions and generally a bonding time, while enjoying the the spiritual blessings and enjoyment this day gives us...
Don't knock it until you have tried it..only then can you have the least bit of idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: 1John2:4
Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

That is a pretty wild accusation, but you are entitled to your own opinion I suppose. If you do not want to keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus I guess that is between you and God. I think those of us that keep that commandments of God would really love for our brothers and sisters in Christ to take a second look at what has been written, expecially by Paul. Peter states that Paul is difficult to understand and not to be lead away by lawless men. 2 Peter 3 What is lawless men? The ones who do not follow God's instuctions, the definition is incorporated into the actual word. And if you need more assurence that lawlessness is not following God's instuctions read 1 John 3:4. "Sin is lawlessness"

Just as is it written in Matthew 5:19
19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That is a pretty wild accusation, but you are entitled to your own opinion I suppose. If you do not want to keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus I guess that is between you and God. I think those of us that keep that commandments of God would really love for our brothers and sisters in Christ to take a second look at what has been written, expecially by Paul. Peter states that Paul is difficult to understand and not to be lead away by lawless men. 2 Peter 3 What is lawless men? The ones who do not follow God's instuctions, the definition is incorporated into the actual word. And if you need more assurence that lawlessness is not following God's instuctions read 1 John 3:4. "Sin is lawlessness"

Just as is it written in Matthew 5:19
19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
The ironic thing, is accusing believers of not keeping the Sabbath correctly or the feasts as you have done in your post using this verse, is exactly why Paul wrote this quote in Colossians.

• Agree
Reactions: Jim Langston
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And then there is this...BOOM!

Genesis 2:2-3

The Sabbath was made for anthrōpon (Adam in Hebrew), not anthrōpos (Adam) for the Sabbath.

God did NOT ask or command any man to keep this day at this time. BOOM!

I rest in Jesus Christ every day - 7 days a week. Jesus Christ is the reality that replaced the shadow.

Romans 14:5-6 KJV One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
God did NOT ask or command any man to keep this day at this time. BOOM!

I rest in Jesus Christ every day - 7 days a week. Jesus Christ is the reality that replaced the shadow.

Romans 14:5-6 KJV One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Zoooom! Went right over your head! Read it again...carefully

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Zoooom! Went right over your head! Read it again...carefully

Varooom! We both know that it just isn't there. I gave you the truth. You can take it or leave it. You prefer a shadow over reality. In the meantime, I rest in Jesus Christ 7 days every week. Bye.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Varooom! We both know that it just isn't there. I gave you the truth. You can take it or leave it. You prefer a shadow over reality. In the meantime, I rest in Jesus Christ 7 days every week. Bye.

Oh it's there, you just do not or cant see it...men seek the truth, but when they find, cant live with it.

Upvote 0

Veja Daniel

Mar 13, 2017
Cluj-Napoca
✟7,713.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Sabbath was for Jews who lived before Christ and was a shadow of the rest we would have in Christ. But now we have no need of the shadow because we have the real thing. Christ has come and is our Sabbath Our rest is in Christ, not in a day of the week.

I find it odd that you say you're a Christian and have a screen name like "grace through faith" but don't know this. If you believe in grace, then why remain under the law?

I'd only add that while the Sabbath is, as tou said, for the Jews before Christ, the 10 commandments still apply to any and every christian. Therefore, keeping the Sabbath day is still a commandment. However, in the 10 commandments it doesn't actually say to kkep the Sabbath day (meaning Saturday) as most believe. It says to keep the seventh day holy. Which is the seventh day in your calendar? In theirs, it was Saturday. As far as I know, in ours it is Sunday. The debate could go on, as some say you need to keep the exact same day when the Lord rested. Others say that it wasn't even one day, as th Lord didn't create the Universe in 6 real days, but the 6 days are representing longer periods of time. I believe it is not important which day it is. But, yes, The Sabbath as commanded in the Old Testament is part of the ceremonial law, which was only for the Jews before Christ and the ceremonial law is no longer necessary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums