Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Among Christians, there is often a certain debate, or differing opinion, about the celebration of "worldly" holidays. Some will argue that because of a holiday's pagan roots (Christmas, Easter, etc.) or demonic origins (Halloween) that Christians today shouldn't set aside their lives for their celebration.

What's the popular opinion here? Should we as Christians celebrate these holidays? If we exclude any of them, should we pray about all of them?

Reactions: Living Soul

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. These are not matters of rules, but conscience, and and the conscience of one man can vary from another. Whatsoever is not of faith, is sin.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What's the popular opinion here? Should we as Christians celebrate these holidays? If we exclude any of them, should we pray about all of them?
Is it not written
"whatever is of the flesh, is flesh,and profits nothing"
and
"pray for all men"
and
"seek God's Kingdom, for it is at hand"
and
"love not the world" ?

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
An interesting question, thank you for it...
I think of the history of Christians over the centuries, who have assimilated the pagan festivals and transformed them into celebrations to honour the Lord.

Christmas is a wonderful time for Christians, and Christian music can be enjoyed as the angels sang at the birth of Christ. Our house is filled with Carols and only Christian music, I love it and feel that the blessings from God are there for all who will receive them.

The 'world' celebrates a different Christmas, a Christless (Xmas) time of parties, drink, unsavoury behaviour, spending to much, and no thoughts of the Saviour, maybe general feelings that they ought to be doing 'good'. To such an extent that the average 'man in the street' possitively dreads Christmas.

I look forward with interest to the replies on this thread,

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. These are not matters of rules, but conscience, and and the conscience of one man can vary from another. Whatsoever is not of faith, is sin.

I've been seeking a good definition for sin, where is that one from?
92 Bible Verses about Sin

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
assimilated the pagan festivals and transformed them into celebrations to honour the Lord.
Wasn't this was done disobediently ?, i.e. not by God's Leading nor Instruction, and not honoring the Creator nor the Lord Jesus, but as is written in Revelation(et al) "for show" ? ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
God, throughout the entire Bible was emphatic about "remembrances". And on into the New Testament, Jesus Himself told His disciples to "do this in remembrance of me".

Remembrances are "holidays" = "holy days".

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have nothing against painting an egg on easter or getting a gift from "santa" on christmas. I dont mind eating extra candy on Halloween, or extra food on Thanksgiving. I'll accept chocolate on V-day and enjoy the fireworks on the Forth. I dont mind Having a Dream on MLK day, or accepting a tie on father's day. But if you have a problem with any of these things, you should not do them.

The fact is, none of these thing have any bearing on ones walk with God....their personal relationship with the Father. I dont believe they should be compared or related.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gerald Roberts

Oct 9, 2017
God's Country, NC
✟7,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
Among Christians, there is often a certain debate, or differing opinion, about the celebration of "worldly" holidays. Some will argue that because of a holiday's pagan roots (Christmas, Easter, etc.) or demonic origins (Halloween) that Christians today shouldn't set aside their lives for their celebration.

Look at it as if it were meat sacrificed to idols. We have very specific answers to most of the questions that we face as Christians.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rom 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

That's not why I brush my teeth, so that must be a sin?

Wait...I got it. If you do things that you don't believe are correct, that is a sin.
Phew...I was worried about my breath.......which is hellish at times.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There is never a wrong time to pray. Prayer fixes you.
Holidays are universally popular. The purpose of legal holidays
is to strengthen national unity among the people. Christians
are not supposed to lend any meaning to astronomical
events substituting them for religion. But the holidays we
celebrate are not celestial or earthly events celebrated in the way
that scripture prohibits.

Isaiah 1:14-15
Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hates; they have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands, I will hide my eyes from you; even though you make many prayers, I will not listen; your hands are full of blood.

Colossians 2:16
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

Romans 14:5-6
One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look at it as if it were meat sacrificed to idols. We have very specific answers to most of the questions that we face as Christians.

Do whatever we think is right.

One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think of the history of Christians over the centuries, who have assimilated the pagan festivals and transformed them into celebrations to honour the Lord.
Heard far too little Pilgrim. But I would add only one more, and if knowledge of my liberality would cause my weaker brother to offend in any of these, wherein we hope to provide that process of the transforming enriches rather than mixes.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I have nothing against painting an egg on easter or getting a gift from "santa" on christmas. I dont mind eating extra candy on Halloween, or extra food on Thanksgiving. I'll accept chocolate on V-day and enjoy the fireworks on the Forth. I dont mind Having a Dream on MLK day, or accepting a tie on father's day. But if you have a problem with any of these things, you should not do them.

The fact is, none of these thing have any bearing on ones walk with God....their personal relationship with the Father. I dont believe they should be compared or related.
But isn't this, by shear curiosity on my part, a little too accepting of holiday traditions that blur the picture Christians try to express on these days?
There is never a wrong time to pray. Prayer fixes you.
Holidays are universally popular. The purpose of legal holidays
is to strengthen national unity among the people. Christians
are not supposed to lend any meaning to astronomical
events substituting them for religion. But the holidays we
celebrate are not celestial or earthly events celebrated in the way
that scripture prohibits.

Isaiah 1:14-15
Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hates; they have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands, I will hide my eyes from you; even though you make many prayers, I will not listen; your hands are full of blood.

Colossians 2:16
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

But in saying that the Scriptures don't clearly prohibit them, should we as Christians find concern in celebrating holidays with supposedly non-Christian backgrounds or origins?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But isn't this, by shear curiosity on my part, a little too accepting of holiday traditions that blur the picture Christians try to express on these days?
Actually it is the opposite......I am putting no thought into it at all. You have to put a lot of thought and emotion into them to celebrate or forbid them. I do neither. I think about the birth, death and resurrection of Christ everyday....not just on the days man says we should think about them.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Actually it is the opposite......I am putting no thought into it at all. You have to put a lot of thought and emotion into them to celebrate or forbid them. I do neither. I think about the birth, death and resurrection of Christ everyday....not just on the days man says we should think about them.
I'll have to agree here. We shouldn't simply set aside two days out of the year to celebrate Jesus' birth, crucifixion, and resurrection. It should be an every day remembrance.

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0