Should Christian women wear head scarves?

HCrossth2012

Jan 11, 2012
✟16,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peace

I have covered my head in prayer as soon as I became follower of My saviour
From anxiety, panick and depression his name is Jesus Christ, I covered my head( after was told women were ment to, didnt question just did) and asked from Heavenly father to be free of smoking that instint I was free..I was heavy smoker, lover of smoking, but I knew I could not do that, also tryed few times on my own to quit, not possible.
It was amaizing. On top everything else he did this... Now I believe covering in prayer 100% , but nt also teaches pray all the time, so I cover most of the time..
Now people who who say it for Jews, yes, but also for us. Read below.

Written in Nt. No nit picking take it as it is..if you don't believe it is for us. Rip it out of the bible..there would be not much left,because people seem to think a lot that is written is not for us now..rubbish..live in the Christ and Holy Spirit and Holy word of God.

1 Peter
3 Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.

So here in NT is given advise for us, how to adorn ourselves, like the holy women of the past, interesting..I believe what is written and it has blessed me to obey even the smallest thing that is written in the letter from our heavenly father to us his followers in truth.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems to have been a requirement by Paul on all the churches. So why is this practice dying out in the Western churches today.

What are the arguments for and against this. I am trying to make up my mind on the issue.

It's an issue having to do with the historical and social context of the time - if a woman went out of the house without her head covered it was a very taboo thing at the time. Paul simply wanted Christian woman to avoid creating controversy where none needed to exist; it's the same reason he mentioned the verse about a woman shaving her head being shameful - that's what temple prostitutes did.

If you want a more thorough understanding of the topic, I highly recommend the short, informative book "What Paul Really Said About Women" by John Bristow; it's available on amazon.com

Upvote 0

Logeth

My name is Denisa.
Aug 23, 2011
Romania
Visit site
✟9,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had this question for a while and I finally decided to cover my head in church:clap:. I don't think that by doing this I am proving more humility or that I am more pious, but since I started, I feel that I am more protected and and feel a lot of joy:clap:. Maybe it is just an emotional thing, but I really like it more. Because in my church nobody has a headcover, I decided to not be a sumbling block for newcomers (hehe, strange that now these things can become stumbling blocks) so I wear mainly hats or bandanas (hope this is the world, I don't really know the translation). I would never impose to others this, but I do enjoy wearing them!

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I had this question for a while and I finally decided to cover my head in church:clap:. I don't think that by doing this I am proving more humility or that I am more pious, but since I started, I feel that I am more protected and and feel a lot of joy:clap:. Maybe it is just an emotional thing, but I really like it more. Because in my church nobody has a headcover, I decided to not be a sumbling block for newcomers (hehe, strange that now these things can become stumbling blocks) so I wear mainly hats or bandanas (hope this is the world, I don't really know the translation). I would never impose to others this, but I do enjoy wearing them!

I am glad to hear that! What you are describing I'd close to what I have felt with head covering. Isn't it nice to feel covered by God!

Bandana is the correct English word. Your English is good for a second language! I know Americans who can't use English as well as you just did.

God bless you,
Grace

Upvote 0

donfish06

May The Lord Richly Bless You
Oct 24, 2013
Lima, Ohio
✟8,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was no response to this posting. Must admit I am a little disappointed. In an age where there is so much discussion about Muslim women wearing burqas I thought this would seem more relevant. Also Paul seemed so clear on this matter and yet is so completely ignored in most Western churches today. Do women think they can pick and choose the rules they follow or that this rule was not clear in the first place?

You're # 5 says it clearly. Her HAIR is her covering. That's why Paul tells women to let it grow, and not cut it short. It never talks about an artificial covering

Upvote 0

hanakins

Jul 1, 2013
Scotland
✟8,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
You're # 5 says it clearly. Her HAIR is her covering. That's why Paul tells women to let it grow, and not cut it short. It never talks about an artificial covering

And yet in every picture of a biblical woman they all have scarves on? I think its more an old fashioned thing, but it is in every art depiction, even now - and nuns still do it.

I think it's just one of those things that is down to personal interpretation.

Upvote 0

donfish06

Oct 24, 2013
Lima, Ohio
✟8,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And yet in every picture of a biblical woman they all have scarves on? I think its more an old fashioned thing, but it is in every art depiction, even now - and nuns still do it.

I think it's just one of those things that is down to personal interpretation.

Peter tells us the Bible is Not up for private interpretation. If the Bible says one thing and people are doing differently, then they are wrong.
I realize that there are some who believe that what people have done means more than what the Bible says to do, but this is against the scriptures

NEEDLESS to say, Paul talks about the covering while worshipping and in prayer. All these "pictures" probably aren't during prayer

Upvote 0

hanakins

Jul 1, 2013
Scotland
✟8,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered?
(First Corinthians 11:13)

I read many articles that say that the "judge for yourself" is sarcastic here, but the overall section makes out that a womans long hair is her glory, and that she should cover it, and if she wont cover it she should cut it short as she has no glory.

Although It does sound like you are saying that the scholars should not be aiding us by interpreting..... (kinda shoots my degree in the foot - and the training of ministers!!)

There is some debate over whether this is for all women, or just wives. I chose to do it anyway. I also do it during the day because I don't want to feel cut off from prayer. Selfish as it may be I want know if I'm gonna need to be "God please don't make me late for work" A tiny little thing - but I'd rather be covered just in case.

Upvote 0

donfish06

Oct 24, 2013
Lima, Ohio
✟8,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered?
(First Corinthians 11:13)

I read many articles that say that the "judge for yourself" is sarcastic here, but the overall section makes out that a womans long hair is her glory, and that she should cover it, and if she wont cover it she should cut it short as she has no glory.

Although It does sound like you are saying that the scholars should not be aiding us by interpreting..... (kinda shoots my degree in the foot - and the training of ministers!!)

There is some debate over whether this is for all women, or just wives. I chose to do it anyway. I also do it during the day because I don't want to feel cut off from prayer. Selfish as it may be I want know if I'm gonna need to be "God please don't make me late for work" A tiny little thing - but I'd rather be covered just in case.

But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. 1 Cor 11:15

2 verses later it tells you what that covering is. It IS your hair. Long hair. If your hair is cut short, then you are uncovered. Men don't need the covering, that's why their hair is to be SHORT

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hanakins

Jul 1, 2013
Scotland
✟8,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Most of the scholars do respond that this is sarcasm also. It says above that they should cover their long hair, and then it says that people should judge for themselves whether a woman's long hair is her covering, but that this is prideful and is ungodly. It's talking of how women should cover up and remember that they are submissive, a woman who naturally has long hair will not have this reminder on her head at all times - and so wont be "specially" covered in prayer.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should Christian women wear head scarves?

Paul seemed so clear on this matter and yet is so completely ignored in most Western churches today. Do women think they can pick and choose the rules they follow or that this rule was not clear in the first place?

Paul was writing to a church in a specific culture; it's not a rule, law or command for all time. Clearly, times have changed. Paul tells the church that, obviously, it is disgraceful for men to have long hair, while women are almost expected to as it is their glory. But many men today have long hair - I know at least two sincere, active Christians who do, and no one ever comments on it or their committment to God. And it is not a disgrace for a woman to have short hair; it is very common.

The text doesn't mention hats or headscarves; it talks of veils. So anyone wanting to take this literally, should wear a veil.

Upvote 0

donfish06

Oct 24, 2013
Lima, Ohio
✟8,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of the scholars do respond that this is sarcasm also. It says above that they should cover their long hair, and then it says that people should judge for themselves whether a woman's long hair is her covering, but that this is prideful and is ungodly. It's talking of how women should cover up and remember that they are submissive, a woman who naturally has long hair will not have this reminder on her head at all times - and so wont be "specially" covered in prayer.

It does not say that long hair must be covered, it says that a woman should not pray UNCOVERED. then it tells you 2 verses later that long hair IS that covering.

Upvote 0

donfish06

Oct 24, 2013
Lima, Ohio
✟8,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul was writing to a church in a specific culture; it's not a rule, law or command for all time. Clearly, times have changed. Paul tells the church that, obviously, it is disgraceful for men to have long hair, while women are almost expected to as it is their glory. But many men today have long hair - I know at least two sincere, active Christians who do, and no one ever comments on it or their committment to God. And it is not a disgrace for a woman to have short hair; it is very common.

The text doesn't mention hats or headscarves; it talks of veils. So anyone wanting to take this literally, should wear a veil.

Times change, and culture changes, but God NEVER changes. If you change with the times then it is outside of the Holy spirit

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Times change, and culture changes, but God NEVER changes. If you change with the times then it is outside of the Holy spirit

No it isn't. God's character never changes, the word of God can never pass away and Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and for ever. But God's plans and actions may change - or what's the point in prayer, and why does the Bible talk about God "changing his mind"? And how we apply the word can, will and probably should be different for everyone. Paul himself said that he became all things to all people; he argued that the law and circumcision cannot save, yet he circumcised Timothy. He told the Philippians that his learning and heritage meant nothing - yet he used his Roman citizenship to escape a beating, and appeal to Caesar. He became all things to all people, so as to win them for Christ - yet did not change the Gospel at all.

If this was a command from God that ALL Christian women should cover their heads, forever - whatever age or culture; it would stand. But it's not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
N

n2thelight

It seems to have been a requirement by Paul on all the churches. So why is this practice dying out in the Western churches today.

What are the arguments for and against this. I am trying to make up my mind on the issue.

That's not what Paul meant

I Corinthians 11:10 "For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels."

It is for this reason that the woman ought to have the power, which is the authority of that God gives to each of us, when we are in Christ. This again is written to the end generation, and our power and authority come from the Word of God. That knowledge and wisdom that is in the Word of God is where our power comes from, and we must have that wisdom in our mind or we will not stand in the day of the deception. This goes way back to Genesis 6, and it pertains to what the angels did when they came to earth. It was for this reason that the flood of Noah came to be, for Satan could not destroy the Seed, so he tried to destroy the coming of Christ through Eve's daughters.

Genesis 6:1 "And it came to pass, when the men began to multiply one the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,"

So the subject that we are trying to learn is why does a woman today ever have to protect herself from angels? Got the subject here? Daughters are born to men.
Genesis 6:2 "That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose."

"Sons of God" are the "Nephilim" or "fallen angels". They are the angels that have committed themselves to Satan in his fall in the first earth age. These fallen angels saw that the daughters of flesh men were very beautiful, and they wanted to take them for their wives. Remember that flesh man was created from the dust of the earth, and the woman was created just like the man, also from the dust of the earth as a companion for each other. These fallen angels sought to have the things of flesh man, and their experiences of marriage, without being born of woman.

Angels are supernatural beings of a different form and dimension, and these fallen angels took for themselves the daughters that they wanted. This went directly against God's plan of our flesh age. They have the power and the supernatural wisdom to take what they wanted from flesh man.

This is why Paul would also say

II Corinthians 11:2 "For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ."

II Corinthians 11:3 "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ."

It's a lil deeper but I'll leave that alone,but anyway,it has nothing to do with a hat,or any other covering,only Christ.....

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not what Paul meant

I Corinthians 11:10 "For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels."

It is for this reason that the woman ought to have the power, which is the authority of that God gives to each of us, when we are in Christ. This again is written to the end generation, and our power and authority come from the Word of God. That knowledge and wisdom that is in the Word of God is where our power comes from, and we must have that wisdom in our mind or we will not stand in the day of the deception. This goes way back to Genesis 6, and it pertains to what the angels did when they came to earth. It was for this reason that the flood of Noah came to be, for Satan could not destroy the Seed, so he tried to destroy the coming of Christ through Eve's daughters.

Genesis 6:1 "And it came to pass, when the men began to multiply one the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,"

So the subject that we are trying to learn is why does a woman today ever have to protect herself from angels? Got the subject here? Daughters are born to men.
Genesis 6:2 "That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose."

"Sons of God" are the "Nephilim" or "fallen angels". They are the angels that have committed themselves to Satan in his fall in the first earth age. These fallen angels saw that the daughters of flesh men were very beautiful, and they wanted to take them for their wives. Remember that flesh man was created from the dust of the earth, and the woman was created just like the man, also from the dust of the earth as a companion for each other. These fallen angels sought to have the things of flesh man, and their experiences of marriage, without being born of woman.

Angels are supernatural beings of a different form and dimension, and these fallen angels took for themselves the daughters that they wanted. This went directly against God's plan of our flesh age. They have the power and the supernatural wisdom to take what they wanted from flesh man.

This is why Paul would also say

II Corinthians 11:2 "For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ."

II Corinthians 11:3 "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ."

It's a lil deeper but I'll leave that alone,but anyway,it has nothing to do with a hat,or any other covering,only Christ.....

So because angels may continue to this very day to find women tempting women should wear head coverings?

Upvote 0
N

n2thelight

So because angels may continue to this very day to find women tempting women should wear head coverings?

You missing the point,the covering is Christ!!!!

It was physical then,but during the end,it shall be spiritual,and those same angels shall return....All about deception

II Corinthians 11:13 "For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ."

II Corinthians 11:14 "And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light."

Lets read for ourselves what the Strong's Greek dictionary has to say about this word "transformed". The number in the Strong's Greek dictionary is # 3345.

"Metaschematizo, met-ask-ay-met-id-zo; from the Greek #3326, and a derivative of #4976; to transfigure or disguise; fig. to apply (by accommodation): -transfer, or transform (self)." So lets put this in the way that Paul actually said it in the manuscripts of his letter to the Corinthians. "Satan himself is coming disguised into an angel of light." That is how he will appear to those that are going to see him at his coming at the sixth trumpet. They will see him as they expect to see Jesus coming at the seventh trumpet, but they will be deceived by him, because he will appear to be what they expect to see Jesus to be. To "disguise" anything is to change and hide what it truly is, and make it appear to be that it is not.

Satan is coming disguised as an "angel of light", and the true "Angel of Light" is Jesus Christ. He is coming disguised as the Savior, and that is what this warning of Paul's is all about. Paul doesn't want you seduced by Satan spiritually, like many of the virgins of Christ will be. This is from the very parable that Christ put forth. Are you starting to understand a little more of our Heavenly Father's Word?

Revelation 12:9 "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Sa'-tan, which deceived the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

These are the same angels that will return again,that's why ,not just women but men as well should have the power of God over them....

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This whole thread is asking for opinion. I don't think the Bible says definitively that women must wear head coverings. I believe it says they 'should'. It's not a church ordinance, in other words. I believe that, if a woman feels inspired to wear a veil in worship, she does so from her heart, so whether she actually has one or not, she is veiled. The lace veil is simply a physical sign of a woman's obedience to God.

On a practical level, I respect women who do. It means they're in the world, not of the world. And it's not supposed to be a matter of covering her sexuality-in my eyes, it does not do so. In fact, it can be attractive, a woman wearing a veil. (I've seen Muslim women wearing head coverings and body coverings who were very physically appealing)

I would not recommend to a woman to wear one as a show. Just wear it if God calls you to do so, as a sign of obedience to Him.

Upvote 0

blujon

Dec 30, 2008
✟7,669.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
For One, I Thoink Paul Said It Is Her Hair Taht Is Given To Her For A Covering, And A Womans Head Is Also Covered By Her Husband Or Theologist That Protects Her, Paul Said That If A Woman Is To Want To Learn About Something That Is Said In The Church To Ask Her Husband To Interpret It For Her At Home. In Conclusion, The Woman Must Have Her Head Protected, By Her Hair, Or An Higher Athority, Less God Shorn Her. I Wonder If I Am Right Also!

Reactions: graciesings
Upvote 0