Is a woman required to cover her head today?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wiki:

Christian head covering was universally practiced by the women of the Early Church, which continued the biblical ordinance.[1] This was attested by multiple Church Fathers throughout the first centuries of Christianity who taught that because the hair of a woman has sexual potency, it should only be for her husband to see and covered the rest of the time.[46]
If you feel like those early Christians, then go ahead and cover your head. I am not against that. However, every Christian woman is not required to cover her hair today. The rule focuses too much on the outside. Paul had a legitimate reason for asserting it at his time and place.

English Standard Version 1 Corinthians 11:

2 Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you.
Paul called this a tradition, not a doctrine.

3 But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. 6 For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head.
Paul commanded the wife/woman to do so at that time to show respect for their husbands. Today, his logic does not carry that significance in Western culture.

13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him,
I think the word nature refers to a local social norm. Paul told us to judge for ourselves. See Christian freedoms.

On the other hand, only one glory should be on display in worship. Women's hair could be distracting and angels are watching. Again, Paul told us to judge for ourselves. In this case, if a woman has a distracting hairdo, she should cover it.

You don't want to be legalistic and judgmental like the Pharisees, who focused on external, superficial behaviors. They strained out a gnat and swallowed a camel.

Bottom line: Modesty is the key.