Should Christian smoke cigerettes

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I found this thread on another forum and wanted to transfer the question/opinions here.

NO, they shouldn't for...........

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

New International Version (NIV)

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

I am in awe that any genuineChristian could even remotely say yes or be in agreement with it.

The health effects of Smoking are the circumstances, mechanisms, and factors of tobacco consumption on human health. Epidemiological research has been focused primarily on cigarette tobacco smoking,[1] which has been studied more extensively than any other form of consumption.[2]
Tobacco is the single greatest cause of preventable death globally.[3] Tobacco use leads most commonly to diseases affecting the heart, liver and lungs, with smoking being a major risk factor for heart attacks, strokes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) (including emphysema and chronic bronchitis), and cancer (particularly lung cancer, cancers of the larynx and mouth, and pancreatic cancer). It also causes peripheral vascular disease and hypertension

Quoted straight from the Wikipedia.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟898,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, it's certainly bad for your body. I think it's plain stupid (no offense to anyone who smokes) because your hurting yourself, and it's not even low risk. I think you shouldn't do it.
I personally do not smoke, but know people who do/have and that stuff even WITH help is NOT easy to quit. Not saying that is an excuse but once people DO start in most cases they cannot just quit out of the blue.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No one should smoke tobacco.

The question however is being conflated with the idea that they are sinful. That however is not the case. It isn't good for one's health, but there's no sin in actually smoking in and of itself. Becoming dependent may be, but to argue "because they are addicting, then they are evil" is illogical because the end result of many beneficial medications which are also very addicting would also become equally sinful.

I had to be given morphine when I had a kidney stone. That's a very addictive drug; was that sinful?

So no, it isn't sinful. What pollutes us isn't what we put in our bodies but what comes from our bodies. Smoking doesn't damage us spiritually, but judgmentalism, like that against people who smoke, certainly does.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I found this thread on another forum and wanted to transfer the question/opinions here.

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

I am in awe that any genuineChristian could even remotely say yes or be in agreement with it.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mat 15:1-14 KJV
(1) Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,
(2) Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
(3) But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
(4) For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
(5) But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
(6) And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
(7) Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
(8) This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
(9) But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
(10) And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
(11) Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
(12) Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
(13) But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
(14) Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Coffee and tea are different things. Secondly, caffeine is relatively harmless (aside from the jitteryness you get from it of course).

Actually, caffeine is a poison and, if a large enough dose, will kill.

Upvote 0

Billy Bayou

Aug 7, 2013
✟15,388.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I agree, "nobody should smoke". Best answer.

As for being Christian or not. My father smoked from when he was 12 until 55 years old. He is now in his late 80's and, by the grace of God, healthier than most in their 70's. He was no more or less of a Christian because he smoked or when he quit. As for his good health. He's just lucky he has lived an active good life other than his smoking, and good genes I guess.

God looks at a man's heart. That is where the true measure of you're Christianity is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

God question. Now I wonder why I feel more inclined to be against smoking since The Lord delivered me than I was when I was still living in sins.
Personally, I believe God really did deliver me from those disgusting things. He wouldn't want me to go back to them for my body is indeed His Holy temple.

Temptations of those things may come rarely but God's strength is more powerful in His children's lives to say NOPE

Upvote 0

willlowbee

Life Is Hard! Hug me!
Jul 3, 2013
✟1,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If they want to suffer lung cancer, throat cancer, laryngeal cancer, mouth cancer, and suffocate in their own phlegm slowly from emphysema, sure they should smoke cigarettes.

Cigarettes are the single most stupid example of addiction there is. There is absolutely no benefit but slow death for the expense. And they get to kill everyone around them with the second hand carbon monoxide smoke that they exhale and that emits from the end of the cigarette. Which makes the smoker an accessory to murder.

anti-smoking-poster-lungs.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mat 15:1-14 KJV
(1) Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,
(2) Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
(3) But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
(4) For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
(5) But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
(6) And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
(7) Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
(8) This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
(9) But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
(10) And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
(11) Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
(12) Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
(13) But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
(14) Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Hmmm.....

Okay, normally I wouldn't respond but, it would appear that by the representation that the scriptures imply; which I have quoted, someone is calling me out.

That's okay I love them anyways. I'd like to take the retorts into consideration, but the truth of the word of GOD that I am scribing is quoted with love towards human physical welfare, not unverified claims from those retorts.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Topics like these are almost impossible to approach without bias, so I sometimes use them to test my own empathy. I grew up with two smoking parents and hated the secondhand smoke. I never even tried smoking myself. So of course my knee jerk reaction leans towards disdain and disapproval.

So it's a good chance to catch myself and think about the many sides to these questions. Smoking is not healthy, but neither are some of my eating and TV watching habits. Alcohol and caffeine aren't exactly good for me either. Don't I spend a little too much on selfish things?

So even though I still discourage smoking, it's amazing how perspective has affected my attitude towards smokers, obese people, alcoholics, gambling addicts, etc. They all have a story, and those things don't define them. Man... when I look back, I shake my head at the high horse I used to ride on (and maybe still do in some areas).

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟52,720.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
What the heck.

Hmmm.....

Okay, normally I wouldn't respond but, it would appear that by the representation that the scriptures imply; which I have quoted, someone is calling me out.

That's okay I love them anyways. I'd like to take the retorts into consideration, but the truth of the word of GOD that I am scribing is quoted with love towards human physical welfare, not unverified claims from those retorts.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0