Should atheists believe in the God of christianity if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It improves their well being, their families well being, their friends well being, the environments well being?

Now a quick answer one would say is yes but it doesn't. And I think this is where the discussion really begins. Because theres no question, even among atheists who were former christians they admit to missing or at least no longer having certain benefits that christianity gave them. So I don't think it's too hard to imagine it being actually true that it could not only improve their well being, but their families, their friends, the environment etc. And if this is the case, even if someone is 100% certain God doesn't exist. Shouldn't they still believe in God? Because its clearly what is best for them and everyone else. Or you can ask another question which is should an atheist remain an atheist even when this results in the worst possible suffering for them and every thing else in the universe?

I ask this because I believe that belief in God, being a christian does actually improve your well being. Which can lead to a trickle down effect across the world. Because atheists always try to say they want to behave in a way in which there is the least amount of suffering, if belief in God does lead to the least amount of suffering then shouldn't they believe?

Reactions: Tayla

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No one should believe in God for the perks.

If they don't believe then they need to be honest and find their own way, it's just a farce otherwise.

Believe in God because you do, or don't believe in God because you don't. It's simple. But don't make a mockery of what others believe because you desire what you believe are perks.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, many atheists are better off in terms of wealth, position, power, and material things, than the majority of Christians. They can also be in the best of health and live to a good old age. The promise of these things to induce them to become Christians would be empty, because they have all those things already.

But what is important is that they cannot take these things with them into eternity when their life is over.

The bottom line, and the challenge for Christians is to convince them that there is a living God out there who create them in His own image. Everything else will fall on deaf ears until they come to that knowledge, and only the Holy Spirit can do that.

Until the Holy Spirit, through the grace and mercy of God opens their eyes to the reality of the existence of the Living God, they will remain blinded and continue on the road to destruction.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It improves their well being, their families well being, their friends well being, the environments well being?
"Should a christian believe in the tooth fairy if it improves his well-being?"

That's how your question sounds to an atheist.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like you're advocating for a faith that depends on these perks, whatever they may be. Since most if not all of the Earthly perks are not guaranteed, what happens when they go away through one life disaster or another.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One believes in Christianity because of how one views the evidence.
But this is influenced by ones lifestyle and by peer preasure.

If Christians lived a Christ inspired lifestyle, then yes many atheists would be challenged by that lifestyle and would investigate Christianity.

That Christians are indistinguisable from nonchristias in their lifestyles is Christianities shame.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Now a quick answer one would say is yes but it doesn't. And I think this is where the discussion really begins. Because theres no question, even among atheists who were former christians they admit to missing or at least no longer having certain benefits that christianity gave them. So I don't think it's too hard to imagine it being actually true that it could not only improve their well being, but their families, their friends, the environment etc. And if this is the case, even if someone is 100% certain God doesn't exist. Shouldn't they still believe in God? Because its clearly what is best for them and everyone else. Or you can ask another question which is should an atheist remain an atheist even when this results in the worst possible suffering for them and every thing else in the universe?

I ask this because I believe that belief in God, being a christian does actually improve your well being. Which can lead to a trickle down effect across the world. Because atheists always try to say they want to behave in a way in which there is the least amount of suffering, if belief in God does lead to the least amount of suffering then shouldn't they believe?

Romans 12:3
For I say, through the grace given to me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God has dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Proverbs 26

12 Do you see a person wise in their own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for them.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does one go about believing in something they are certain does not exist?

As a former Christian, I assume you are referring to Atheists who miss the benefit of a built in community for social and support needs. I did miss that for a short while, but I quickly found that there are many sources for that need. The difference is that finding it in a church doesn't require any effort. It's built right in and I realized that expectation is just lazy and resulted in superficial relationships anyway. Put in a little effort to find like minded social groups and the nostalgia for the church social life becomes but a memory.

• Agree
Reactions: Eudaimonist
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've seen quite a bit of suffering come from belief in God. A lot of guilt and depression and anxiety in people too preoccupied with what the ancients believed was the best course for a life well lived.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I could imagine a non-Christian in, say, China making the exact same argument for rejecting belief in the Christian god, and they'd be just as correct as the OP.

• Agree
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

The operative word in your discussion is 'if'.

The reality is that there is no assurance that belief in God changes anything in one's life. We see people even here who are completely miserable because their belief in the Christian God has them wallowing in self-doubt. We also have people even here who demonstrate complete freedom from the belief in the Christian God.

The most likely conclusion is that the Christian God doesn't have any effect on happiness or well being. Belief in God or anything else does nothing whatsoever in the way reality affects people.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The question begs the deeper question, what it means to believe. To assent to a belief system and go along for the ride, for the perqs, as you say, and as long as it doesn't get too difficult? James makes it clear that faith has to be whole-souled, and our behavior has to be conformed to what we believe.

On the human side, I would say, sure, the more Christianity you get in you the better, in general, and one never knows where it might lead. It could led to a genuine decision. In Philippians Paul says he is happy whenever the Gospel is preached, even if the motives are wrong, because he knows the preaching of the Gospel will objectively bring forth fruit.

But on the God side we have, "the Lord knows them that are His; let all who call upon the name of the Lord depart from iniquity", and "I would that you were hot or cold, but because you are lukewarm I will spew you out". God makes the final determination as to whether a heart is sincerely seeking Him, sincerely in His service. And there is a time when hangers-on do more harm than good, because they corrupt the church and make things confusing and difficult for those who are sincere, especially those young in the faith, as they see things that are wrong and seem to be condoned.

I see these opposing forces in some kind of dynamic balance. And God gets to make the decision how best to deal with each case. Our job is to keep the doors open as much as we can, but also be willing to protect the church from compromise.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Now a quick answer one would say is yes but it doesn't. And I think this is where the discussion really begins. Because theres no question, even among atheists who were former christians they admit to missing or at least no longer having certain benefits that christianity gave them. So I don't think it's too hard to imagine it being actually true that it could not only improve their well being, but their families, their friends, the environment etc.

It's certainly possible that things like "a sense of community" can give people certain benefits. I can't say that religion is the only place to find these things.

It's also worth considering that the lack of community, isolation, and other negative feelings some associate with their loss of faith could be a result of how society views and treats atheists in general.

And if this is the case, even if someone is 100% certain God doesn't exist. Shouldn't they still believe in God?

If someone is 100% certain god doesn't exist....then they can't believe in god.

Are you asking if they should just pretend to believe to fit in? I'm not sure that's going to have any long term benefits at all...

Because its clearly what is best for them and everyone else. Or you can ask another question which is should an atheist remain an atheist even when this results in the worst possible suffering for them and every thing else in the universe?

Why would it be the worst possible suffering? I would rather experience a loss of faith than deal with 3rd degree burns. Heck, I'd rather experience a loss of faith than get a flat tire.

Why would you think anyone other than the atheist would suffer for their lack of belief?

I ask this because I believe that belief in God, being a christian does actually improve your well being.

Why? Most of the poor, starving, high mortality places in this world also have the highest rates of belief in god. They're suffering a lot. Compare that with the UK where have the nation describes itself as "not religious" and they're reevaluating the role of the C of E.

Which can lead to a trickle down effect across the world. Because atheists always try to say they want to behave in a way in which there is the least amount of suffering, if belief in God does lead to the least amount of suffering then shouldn't they believe?

I'm definitely interested in my "least amount of suffering"....but as for the rest of you, you're on your own lol.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
What if non-belief in God improves one's well being?

When I was a Christian, I was wracked with anxieties: "was I following the Bible correctly, to get to heaven?" "what if this other Christian faction is correct, that my faction was practicing heresy?" "what if I committed the unpardonable sin?" "what if Paul was a false apostle, and James was correct?", "am I reading the correct Bible?" etc.

Since abandoning it, and embracing Buddhism, my well being has greatly improved.

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As CS Lewis wrote Christianity is based on facts. Either these facts are true or they are false. If Christianity is false than it's the greatest lie in human history which no honest person would want to accept no matter how helpful it may be. If true then it's the greatest of all truths and any honest person would believe it no matter if it's no help at all.

We have 2000 years of evidence that Christianity has worked but no evidence an society based on atheism will work since it offer no type of ethics on it's own. Atheism only leaves a vacuum for wilder beliefs to filled like the SJW, Islam,etc.
Secularism has already showing signs of it's collapses. Atheism also collapses as it questions the very cognitive faculties of the naturalist.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
As CS Lewis wrote Christianity is based on facts. Either these facts are true or they are false.
I think you're looking for the word "claims".

• Agree
Reactions: Par5
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.