CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've never seen a christian wear a prayer shawl. I never really heard of one either. Heart the term once and awhile though. Maybe like 5 times in my life. If anything I was taught its unbiblical to wear one in todays world and that it more applied to the jewish people back then.

Upvote 0

Angelfrog

Rock, paper, JESUS! I win!
Oct 22, 2009
Sitting on a cloud in England.
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, if he did decide to get a prayer shawl- it was a good 5 years ago. He made this thread in 2008!

Never thought about it myself- but I do use other little visual/ kinasthetic aids in pesonal prayer times, which I'm very aware are simply that- useful aids.

Znr- (was the vowel removal painful??? :) ) - I hope the .2 of a cat is the head end, or the adorning with the boa is gonna be interesting!

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2017
Hartford
✟7,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing at all wrong with using a talit in a respectful manner, though I would be cautious of using one in public settings for not wanting to offend those Jewish people who would take offense at this.
I'm new to this forum and would like to jump in and say that Christians have no place wearing a prayer shawl. The idea is utterly sad since Christ has saved us out of all those additions to our faith.
Our faith is in Him and Him alone. When we partake of such worldly traditions and superstitions we blur the line between light and darkness and bring shame on our Lord.
Now if someone needs a shawl as a reminder to pray, it would be wise for that person to examine their faith to see if they are truly walking along with Him.
Here is just one of God's warnings about tradition.
Colossians 2:8-10
"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
For in Him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.
And ye are complete in Him, which is the head of all principality and power."
Colossians 2:8-10
Now some will say that a prayer shawl used to be a tradition in the O T and to that I say JESUS Himself has fulfilled every single tradition, thing or idea that pointed to Him from the Old Testament. He IS the prayer shawl!

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I'm new to this forum and would like to jump in and say that Christians have no place wearing a prayer shawl.
So, you had to go back 4 years and dig through those threads to give us this opinion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I've never heard of a Lutheran church using a Jewish prayer shawl or tallit. We would be wary of the idea of putting on a yoke of the law... we put on Christ in baptism. And we'ld also be wary of offending our Jewish neighbors by appropriating their religious symbols.

Now, people in our church do crochet prayer shawls, but they look distinctly different and they are given to sick people.

In some Indian Christian churches, traditionally men wear shawls, but they look more like the Hindu style shawls used to cover the upper body during prayer (since in southern India, many men go around without shirts on doing work).

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
When should a person jump in?
Feel free. It's not like wearing or not wearing a prayer shawl means anything anyway....except maybe for those who like to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
i have a prayer shawl.......it's an unction, a personal thing between God and me...and i also use a candle and go into my closet and pray.....cuz now i have one big enough to put a chair in there and sit on it and pray.

This is just me....but when i'm wearing my prayer shawl and praying, it's like God is hugging me.....

God bless us, ev'ry one :groupray:

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I've never seen a christian wear a prayer shawl. I never really heard of one either. Heart the term once and awhile though. Maybe like 5 times in my life. If anything I was taught its unbiblical to wear one in todays world and that it more applied to the jewish people back then.

Read ACTS, (and perhaps Jesus Words and Actions in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.) -
There's A LOT THERE, that all the believers following JESUS DID, with GRACE, TRUTH, and POWER,
that
you will never see today, in most places, unless people turn to YHWH .

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Feel free. It's not like wearing or not wearing a prayer shawl means anything anyway....except maybe for those who like to argue just for the sake of arguing.

A Happy Birthday to you GeorgeJ.

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0