Should a christian wear a Prayer Shawl?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Feel free. It's not like wearing or not wearing a prayer shawl means anything anyway....except maybe for those who like to argue just for the sake of arguing.
Today in most places you live that might appear that way, yes.
Few places do people honor YHWH at all. (most all reject Him).

At the time Jesus trained His Apostles and discioples how to live,
they all had and used a prayer shawl (a "tent" (very possibly one or more of them worked making prayer shawls much of their lives).
They never argued about having or about using a prayer shawl - all the men had and used one, or maybe even borrowed one if they could not afford one themselves.
The followers of Jesus at the time, as well as many of the Jews whether they followed Him or not used a prayer shawl ('tent') every day or every 7th day on YHWH'S SABBATH . To them it was a way of life, a part of life, serving YHWH with their lives , and not ever thought of as optional, per se. (from birth , even from conception, as they knew and learned intimately why they had a prayer shawl and why it was (is) important in devotion to and serving YHWH.

That's how it seems to me anyway. REJOICE IN YESHUA ! Pray constantly, without ceasing, as it is written.

Upvote 0

Tomb523

Jul 6, 2018
Atlanta
✟10,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is in your heart when you do wear one? I wear one, but I'm mindful of the reason why. It's really about the knots on the 4 corners of the outer robes to remind the Jews about the laws which set them apart from the rest of civilization. When a christian wears them, as I do, it's not about the law of Moses, but the sacrifice of Jesus to set us apart from the world through His sacrifice. Inherent in the law was the freedom God gave the Jews from Egypt. Inherent is the reason for Christians to wear them is the freedom Jesus gave us from sin.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Is it OK if I wear one while praying? I really want one. lol

They are really pretty and their significance is quite cool, as well.

Traditional%20Wool%20Talis.jpg

There is nothing wrong with it. I likely would not use one at Church, because no one else does it, and it would be seen as strange. (unless you happen to go to a church that does, but I don't know of any).

I think my basic question would be, why do you want it?

If you intend to use it for witnessing, I doubt anyone would consider it as anything other than strange. I don't think a prayer shawl will bring people to Jesus.

So if it isn't a witnessing tool, then what is it for?

If you are not going to use it at church, then you are only using it at home?

And that's fine.

The only danger is using it as a "look at me the super christian" type attitude that some people of faith accidentally go into.

Don't let yourself accidentally starting telling everyone about your prayer shawl. You'll end up being the Pharisees that Jesus talks about who makes sure everyone can see how super spiritual they are.

Again, if you are just doing it for your own benefit, because you think it helps you pray.... by all means.

Upvote 0