✟7,738.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is it OK if I wear one while praying? I really want one. lol

They are really pretty and their significance is quite cool, as well.

Traditional%20Wool%20Talis.jpg

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the Jewish tradition, the prayer shawl’s purpose is to function as a reminder of God’s laws as set forth in the Torah (known to Christians as the first five books of the Old Testament). While it is normally a Jewish tradition, some Luteran churches also use them. Many find the use of a prayer shawl helpful or comforting for some of the same reasons it is used in other traditions. Some find that wearing the prayer shawl encourages the turning inward that is one of the necessary components of prayer, by providing the symbolic “cover” of prayer so often mentioned in the Psalms.

If using a prayer shawl helps you focus your prayers, then I can see no harm.

Upvote 0

.allie.

Christ follower
Oct 23, 2008
Wisconsin, US
✟15,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That isn't the only kind of prayer shawl there is. My Grandma does a ministry at her church where they knit and crochet prayer shawls (Just a small blanket to go over the shoulders) for people who need prayer. Basically these women at this church will have one specific person in mind and pray the entire time they are working on these shawls (hours and hours and hours) for this specific person, that they be healed, that they be shown mercy or what have you. So, in this case, wearing a shawl that someone knitted or crocheted for you while praying for you, I don't think would be disrespectful in any way.

Upvote 0

valiant007

Oct 22, 2008
Birmingham U.K.
✟7,616.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I am just a newbie here but know a little about the Hebraic roots of the Christian faith. I totaly respect the fact that I have just joined here and there are those of my brothers and sisters who have posted zillions more than I have, but I feel I must say this.

First off we are 'one new man' in Yeshua. Next we are called to obey the Word of God at all times. The Torah is not the Law it is advice and counsel for righteous and Godly living. Law is a BAD translation of Torah. We are told in Deuteronomy Chapter 6 to 'diligently' keep the commandments of the Lord your God and His exhortations and His statutes which He commanded you.' Yeshua said that He had not come to destroy the Law but to fulfill it. So, the Law is active, not one jot or tittle will pass away until all things have been fulfilled.
We attend a Messianic fellowship so strongly do we believe that we are to keep the commandments and some of the congregation use the prayer shawl when in worship and when in intercession. As for me, I would wear one if I had the opportunity.

If you feel you should be wearing one my brother, then you wear it and let no one condemn you. If He wore one, then there's no reason why we who are so exercised shouldn't.

Blessings always in Yeshua!

David:clap::clap:

Upvote 0

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So, the Law is active ...

We attend a Messianic fellowship so strongly do we believe that we are to keep the commandments and some of the congregation use the prayer shawl when in worship and when in intercession.

Christians should not follow the law of Moses

Acts 15,5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.
6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Mate, do you go to Bible Study?

If you don't then you need to.

Nowhere in the New Testament is their a requirement of a prayer shawl. As one of our posters said that it's a Jewish Tradition.

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Nowhere in the New Testament is their a requirement of a prayer shawl. As one of our posters said that it's a Jewish Tradition.

Just because it isn't a requirement doesn't mean that it should not or can not be used. Yeshua used one Himself, many of us - Messianics and others friendly to the Hebrew roots of our faith - do find a blessing in using one. But we do need to be careful not to offend any Jewish around.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Just because it isn't a requirement doesn't mean that it should not or can not be used. Yeshua used one Himself, many of us - Messianics and others friendly to the Hebrew roots of our faith - do find a blessing in using one. But we do need to be careful not to offend any Jewish around.
I thought this is a CHRISITAN ADVICE forum, so I'm not offending anyone, so what's your point?:)
Be blessed in Jesus' Name

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus didn't care if he offended anyone. He just spoke the truth. If he cared about the Jewish community's feelings, he would never have preached the gospel. If fact, it was the "offended" Jewish community who crucified him.

Jesus probably wore a shaw because it was cold outside.

Upvote 0

valiant007

Oct 22, 2008
Birmingham U.K.
✟7,616.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Just this thought: What about the one new man in Christ? What do we do? Do we follow what is already laid down by Him who does not alter the thing that is gone out of His mouth, neither does He change: (Isaiah 55:10 - 12 and Hebrews 13:8). Do we throw the Hebrew Scriptures out because they are in our punitive thinking irrelevant? Not in this house. If the Word of God is magnified above all that is His Name (Psalm 138:2) then is He about to let us all off scot free just because we are in Yeshua? Nope.
Concerning the feasts: They are to be kept. What about where it tells us about the feasts that are kept in the Millenium? They have to be kept, and there is a punishment for those who don't. If we are talking about Bible study here, then dig in and have a look, check me out.
As for the prayer shawl, if you feel led to wear one, then wear it and don't let any Pharisee tell you otherwise.

Upvote 0

wardc03

God-Fearer
Feb 10, 2009
✟7,611.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Hey there. I do realize that this thread is quite old. However I do believe it is still worth posting on.

You are right. There is not a requirement of a prayer shawl in the Apostolic Scriptures (New Testament). There isn't even a commandment regarding a prayer shawl in the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament). But Jesus wore one. 'GASP!!??' "Why would he do such a thing," you ask?

Because there are two commandments regarding the wearing of Tzitzit. Tzitzit are the tassels that God tells Israel to wear on the "corners of their garments throughout their generations." This is found in Numbers 15:37-41. They are to remind us of God's commandments so we will "not follow after our own hearts and eyes in our lustful urge," like it says.

These tassels are always to be on a garment with corners (Deut 22:12) So people would drape these garments around themselves to remind them of God's commandments. Eventually there came a garment that is worn under the shirt (Called a Tallit Katan). And the other one that was worn over the clothes is a just called a "Tallit." The tallit was and still is used for privacy in prayer, weddings, and other things. It's more than just a "prayer shawl."

The Gospel of Matthew records the account of the woman with the twelve year - flow of blood.

"And behold, a woman who had suffered from a discharge
of blood for twelve years came up behind him and touched
the fringe of his garment, for she said to herself, "If I only
touch his garment, I will be made well." Jesus turned, and
seeing her he said, "Take heart, daughter; your faith has
made you well." And instantly the woman was made well.

What was that?! The "Fringe of His Garment?" Look at the word translated as the english word "fringe." The word in Greek is "κράσπεδον" - kraspedon - meaning "a little appendage hanging down from the edge of the mantle or cloak, made of twisted wool" In Hebrew, the word is the one I mentioned earlier, "ציצת" - Tzitzit.

So clearly Jesus wore one of these garments and would have most surely used it for prayer when he was in the Synagogue - "as was His custom" (Luke 4:16).

We have to remember. He (Jesus) is Jewish. His disciples were Jewish. Matthew, the writer of the Gospel was Jewish. And it's sad that this is something that is so often overlooked in the Church at large today.

I do realize that I have probably stepped on a few toes here. That is, if anyone even reads this. But what you need to ask yourselves is, "Was what this man posted, in fact, true?" I encourage anyone who believes that it is not to go and study and find out for yourself.

Upvote 0

beegesonofgod

Jul 21, 2013
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I had read something about archeologist finding a jar filled with items to include a prayer shawl that our early Christian ancestors had possibly worn. It was designed differently to symbolize the difference between the Jewish people who believed that Jesus was the Messiah and those Jewish people who rejected him. I agree if we can use a prayer shawl to focus and pray from the heart our praise and glory of those early Christians who sacrificed so much to develop our faith. It may not mean anything to our lord the garment in particular but it will mean so much our sincerity of pray from the heart with passion and praise for our father. So in short wear the shawl if it helps you pray earnestly. Praise the lord our father. Amen

Upvote 0