• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Seroquel Fog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My_Sojourn

Mar 4, 2006
✟167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is anyone else on Seroquel who feels a little fuzzy minded?

On the one hand I am thinking straight and clear - paranoia and delusions are gone ..... but I'm not sharp. I find myself at a loss not just for words but for sentences! Or I forget how to spell simple words, or things don't click when they should. I feel like sometimes I "don't get it" until later and I feel so dumb.

Anyone else have this problem? Is this the trade off we must have?

I told pdoc I wanted to lower my Seroquel and sometimes cut my dose in half because I have the 25mg tablets and she about hit the roof. She changed my dose to 100 mg tablets to ensure I don't fudge. Dang it. I just want to tweak it down a bit.

Anyone know is it effective enough to take Seroquel every other day. I want to cut my dose in half. Any problems with cutting the tablets with those pill cutters?

I need to be sharp and think quick.

I am finally in a wonderful relationship with a guy over a month now and I haven't scared him away. But I need to be sharp and witty... and my brain gets a little foggy. It's driving me nuts.

Or am I blaming the wrong med? Could it be Lamictal doing this?

lemonflavor

Feb 21, 2006
✟16,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course I have to say stick with what your doctor recommends.

Seroquel has a short half life and goes out of your system pretty fast. This would not make it a good every other day drug, but then that's not a good idea for most any drug.

I took Seroquel last summer and didn't notice getting dumber. Risperdal makes my memory a little worse, even at the tiny dose I take.

Lamictal didn't do anything for me and I haven't read about it causing cognitive difficulties.

Correct me on anything that's wrong.

Have you given it time for these side effects to subside? Are you blonde? That could be your excuse.

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear My_Sojourn

I'm sure you read the title post so I am not going to rehash that.

I take the max generic dose of Lamictal and I don't believe that's a problem.

If you have not read up on this drug I have copied some good info on the med.

Seroquels Typical Side Effects: Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) is notorious for two things - making you sleep until next Tuesday, and giving you a hangover when you eventually wake up. For 90% or so of the people who take it, the hangover goes away in two or three days, a week at the outside. And if you're taking Seroquel as required for sleep, the hangover often goes away eventually. It all depends on how often you take it. Otherwise expect the usual short-term side effects for atypical antipsychotics - headache, nausea, dry mouth, sleepiness or insomnia, diarrhea or constipation, not caring about anything (a.k.a. the zombification effect). Most, if not all of these will go away in a couple of weeks. Except for the excessive sleepiness, which could hang around for as long as you take this med. The other big issue with a lot of people is weight gain. While not as bad as Zyprexa (olanzapine), like that med Seroquel is a potential triple threat when it comes to weight gain, as it could slow your metabolism, may make you want to sleep 10 or more hours a day, and often make you want to eat more. And since it hits the H1 histamine receptor, and hard, (see How Seroquel Works for details) it's going to make you crave carbohydrates like there's no tomorrow, so good luck sticking to that Atkins diet. But, hey, at least it's the media's fault and not any lack of willpower on your part.
For tips on how to cope with these side effects, please see our side effects page. Like Zyprexa (olanzapine) the only med-based solution for the weight issue is Axid (nizatidine). Everything I have on that is on the side effects pages.
These aren't all the side effects possible, just the most popular ones.
Seroquels Not So Common Side Effects: Diabetes. Manic reaction (Hey, the evidence is mounting that it's a fairly decent antidepressant amongst the bipolar and schizoaffective, so you've got to expect this sort of thing.) Muscle aches and pains. Getting all sweaty for no good reason. Tremor. Irregular heart beat and prolonged QT interval (whatever the that means, ask your doctor). While the sexual dysfunctions aren't as bad as Risperdal (risperidone) or Zyprexa (olanzapine), they can still happen. Like any antipsychotic there is a slight, but real risk for extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS), tardive dyskinesia, and neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS). Please see the page on these risks. Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) tests as having one of the lowest risks for EPS and TD and has been used to treat people with TD.

FDA Approved Uses of Seroquel: Schizophrenia (Efficacy of Seroquel in three trials, in addition to what's in the PI sheet) - approved September 1997. Bipolar mania (One year vs. unnamed mood stabilizer, plus PI sheet data) - approved 13 January 2004 for acute bipolar mania, as both monotherapy (taken all by itself) and to be used in combination with lithium and Depakote (divalproex sodium) to treat bipolar mania. In August of 2004 Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) received approval for 12-week treatment of bipolar disorder.

Pros: If you're agitated, jumping out of your skin and you just can't sleep, then Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) might be just what you're looking for. At least, if your doctor recommends you try it and you feel like that, you probably should. As the mildest of all antipsychotics it doesn't really carry the "antipsychotic" stigma as heavily as the other meds. Doesn't mess with your prolactin as much as any other atypical antipsychotic. Also the least likely to cause EPS and TD.
Cons: You'll sleep until next Tuesday. Of course, that could be a good thing, depending on how your life is at this moment. Other than the sleep thing, it takes longer than any other atypical antipsychotic to work. You might come down with type 2 diabetes. You'll probably gain weight. But those things are going to be issues only if you take Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) at medium-to-high dosages for a long time. Except for the sleeping - that's more of a low-to-medium dosage thing from day one.

There is much more on the web, so if you still want to research more just surf the web.

If you fool around with this drug in a way that the doctor has no idea of then she can not know what will work and what will not.

I can feel your pain on the mating season issue. But if you do not stay the course you will not be able to cope with the future.

So you are now in the catch 22 position. If you want out of that you will without a doubt: " GIVE HEED TO THE PHYSICAN "

DEAR KEEP YOUR EYES POINTED TOWARDS GOD'S KINGDOM AND YOU SHALL BE BLESSED TO REMEMBER:

XEven though you can't see Him, GOD is there!O
( click on the X and move to the O ) ( then feel who is around you )

edited to add a link to where the information is that is posted above about the medication and side effects: http://crazymeds.org/zyprexaSideEffects.html (thornygrace)

Upvote 0

My_Sojourn

Mar 4, 2006
✟167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks Gentlemen,

I love that write up about Seroquel. How true. Yes, I sleep till next Tuesday and can't seem to unroll the rolls in my sides. Talk about weight gain and wanting carbs. But I am doing my time at the gym so here's hoping.

lemonflavor, I wish I could blame on being blonde. I'm brunette. Thanks for your imput.

Wanderlayeye, thanks for the advise. Yes I need to follow doctor's advise.

Maybe the dingbat thing is that being in love and always thinking "Oh I screwed up. I should have said this.. shouldn't have said that.."

Being in love you just get stupid.

Please pray for me that God continue to help me with this relationship every step of the way; that the Holy Spirit guide my words and teach me what to say and not to say to win this man's heart because He knows him; and that I keep Jesus in the center. I don't think he is born again but believes. I have shared my faith in Jesus and talk about God often and he is drawn to me.

Pray for me I don't get bipolar and screw this up and he is the one....
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.