Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Baptists were founded by John Smyth who was a former Anglican cleric who re-baptized himself because he didn't believe in infant Baptism. They are influenced by Calvinist theology. Anabaptists include Mennonites, Amish, Hutterites etc. They separated from the Roman Catholic Church. The Amish separated from the Mennonites etc.

Most early Anabaptists also didn't insist on immersion, they practiced effusion (pouring) usually. Baptists insist on immersion.

• Agree
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Indybap

Mar 16, 2023
Woolston
✟13,867.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Baptists were founded by John Smyth who was a former Anglican cleric who re-baptized himself because he didn't believe in infant Baptism. They are influenced by Calvinist theology. Anabaptists include Mennonites, Amish, Hutterites etc. They separated from the Roman Catholic Church. The Amish separated from the Mennonites etc.
Well tell this to historians who say Baptist's have no known human founder. Many Baptist's also reject Calvinism. Not because they disagree with eternal security, but God choosing who does and doesn't go to heaven regardless of their freedom to receive Christ or not.

Have a read of the Battle for Baptist history by I K Cross... Or My Church by J M Moody.

The denominational name Baptist may have a founder...but not Baptist distinctives in doctrine. Donatists , Waldenses, Paulicians had these distinctives and they go way back. Well before John Smyth.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Well tell this to historians who say Baptist's have no known human founder. Many Baptist's also reject Calvinism. Not because they disagree with eternal security, but God choosing who does and doesn't go to heaven regardless of their freedom to receive Christ or not.

Have a read of the Battle for Baptist history by I K Cross... Or My Church by J M Moody.

The denominational name Baptist may have a founder...but not Baptist distinctives in doctrine. Donatists , Waldenses, Paulicians had these distinctives and they go way back. Well before John Smyth.

The earliest Baptist came out of the English Dissenter and Puritan movements and were influenced heavily by those movements. Baptists have more in common with Congregationalists than those above mentioned groups. The earliest antecedent to the Dissenters and Puritans were the Lollards, descendants of the followers of John Wycliffe, a medieval English philosopher, theologian, and political theorist, who lived before the Reformation.

Waldensians survived into the present day. They are part of the worldwide fellowship of Reformed churches.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

I'm not entirely knowledgeable, but the founder of the Baptist sect was John Smyth. All denominations have a founder.

Upvote 0

Indybap

Mar 16, 2023
Woolston
✟13,867.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm not entirely knowledgeable, but the founder of the Baptist sect was John Smyth. All denominations have a founder.
from the “Apud Opera” pp> 112, 113 By Cardinal Hosius, President of the Council of Trent 1524 “Were it not that the Baptist have been grievous tormented (by the Roman catholic Church) and cut off with the knife during the past twelve hundred years, they would swarm in greater number than all the reformers”.

Sir Isaac Newton wrote “The Baptist are the only body of known Christian that have not symbolized with the church at Rome. "

So.. you would have to argue that Hosius and Isaac Newton were ill informed or lying.

Upvote 0

Indybap

Mar 16, 2023
Woolston
✟13,867.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The earliest Baptist came out of the English Dissenter and Puritan movements and were influenced heavily by those movements. Baptists have more in common with Congregationalists than those above mentioned groups. The earliest antecedent to the Dissenters and Puritans were the Lollards, descendants of the followers of John Wycliffe, a medieval English philosopher, theologian, and political theorist, who lived before the Reformation.

Waldensians survived into the present day. They are part of the worldwide fellowship of Reformed churches.
Baptists do have a lot in common with Congregationalists in the way the do things.. but Congregationalists now have been influenced strongly by Reformed Baptists and also have taken on some strange doctrines. Baptists have generally stayed clear of invading false teaching and managed to keep a pure faith through a very long period of history.

But anyway, have a read of the Battle for Baptist History by I.K. Cross, or My Church by J.M. Moody. They say it better than I could.

Upvote 0