• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senate GOP repeals ObamaCare mandate

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by NightHawkeye, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Almost there

Almost there Well-Known Member

+756
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Heh, but what if the government forces you to buy a TV, and it costs more than your house payment, your car payment AND your utilities payments? That's where I would be, which is why I don't have health insurance. Well, the REAL reason is that I trust the Great Physician, and he's been very faithful.

I have discovered, in talking with friends and acquaintances without health insurance, that health care is quite cheap if you pay out of pocket. I'm talking about 70-90% savings. And more and more doctors and hospitals are actually listing prices, just like McDonalds. This is because so many people, with high deductibles, are now forced to pay out of pocket. This is an odd good thing that came out of Obamacare - people price shopping.

And here's one of the problems with health insurance: As someone said a while ago, if car insurance was like health insurance, it would pay for oil changes, wiper fluid and light bulbs, not to mention tires.

No wonder health insurance is so expensive.

2. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+4,092
    Agnostic
    Married
    Not in any insurance I've ever had. The way it has always worked for me was you had a certain deductible for a given procedure. For example when I had an infection i had a $15 deductible to see the doctor and then a $25 deductible for the procedure to drain the infection and a $10 deductible for the medication. So my total bill was $50 for the procedure and insurance handled the rest. There is then a yearly deductible cap. When i had my brain surgery I hit the $10,000 yearly cap and then didn't have to pay anymore deductible. It was nice that I was then able to itemize my taxes and get some money back due to my medical expenses.

Given that, I question what your issue is with the ACA? It is not like this was not how insurance worked prior to the ACA. So is your issue with the ACA or with insurance in general?

3. hislegacy

hislegacy Staying in the middle of the road.

+4,796
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    The affordable insure I had for 19 years before the ACA was fantastic and very much in my budget.

It is no longer affordable or even available.

4. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+4,092
    Agnostic
    Married
    I take it that it did not meet the 10 requirements set by the ACA? What was your deductible and yearly cost with that plan?

5. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+4,731
    United States
    Married
    People have “strongly” believed that for 2000 years.

6. Almost there

+756
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    And they will strongly believe that just before it happens.

We are told to recognize the signs, not just say, "meh, every generation thinks they are living in the end times, so we're probably not."

7. LoAmmi

LoAmmi Dispassionate

+6,450
    Judaism
    Married
    I have epilepsy and my treatment would not be cheap if I were paying out of pocket. Even at 70-90% savings. (Not that I believe your friends or you about this, to be honest)

8. Almost there

+756
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, there is a reason health care insurance exists.

9. LoAmmi

LoAmmi Dispassionate

+6,450
    Judaism
    Married
    Health insurance relies on healthy people being in the pool to keep costs lower.

10. Almost there

+756
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes. I used to sell insurance. To get my license I had to pass a test based on how it works and its history.

11. Aryeh Jay

+4,731
    United States
    Married
    Kind of like car insurance depends on good drivers too? Who would have thought Health care was so complicated?

12. Almost there

+756
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    There is a little known story about one of the life insurance companies started in the late 19th century. A few rich guys put together the company, and one of them was a doctor. Well, things were going along great, though they still had a small customer base, until one of their customers got gravely ill. If he died, their payout would bankrupt the insurance company. So that customer got incredibly good medical care for free from that doctor. And yes, the guy pulled through and the company went on to thrive. I wish I could remember what company it was. I believe they are one of the big players but don't remember the name.

Insurance was started by Lloyd's of London, insuring trading ships. It allowed western civilization to flourish by mitigating risk, when risk was high. And insurance is a VERY lucrative business. People really have no idea just how profitable it is.

13. wing2000

wing2000 Ex Crosswalk Member Supporter

+2,661
    Christian
    Married
    ...actually, for 2,000 years.

14. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+4,245
    Atheist
    US-Others
    Odds are virtually 100% you aren't. think about the black death. In many areas over 50% of towns dropped dead from something that couldn't be explained that tinted the corpses black with rot. That's some end times level stuff, but still wasn't the end. Short of a gigantic meteorite hurtling towards earth or advanced alien invasion kicking off, if you bet on doomsday you are betting against worse odds than the lottery. Humanity has been around for ~200,000 years, and that isn't even that long for a species, let alone an advanced apex predator. Odds are long of us being wiped out by anything, and grow longer as we advance space exploration.

15. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+10,308
    Agnostic
    Single
    Has Donald fixed that?

16. hislegacy

+4,796
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    The President is working on it.

17. Aryeh Jay

+4,731
    United States
    Married
    Thank goodness, I too would like my old insurance back at the old rate.

18. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+9,261
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Ok, gives us a heads up just before it happens.

19. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+10,308
    Agnostic
    Single
    "Repeal and Replace on day one" was the promise, I believe.

A year later, the repeal is one piece at a time, and the replacement is nowhere in sight.

Perhaps Donald doesn't realize that now that he's gotten his tiny fingerprints all over it, it's "Trumpcare" now... and Trumpcare is going to fall apart unless someone competent steps up and does something.

Know anyone?

20. hislegacy

+4,796
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Trumpcarw might be the latest soundbite, but the shipwreck that is Obamacare is 100% the responsibility of those who designed it an forced it through.