Sen. Mark Warner introduces ‘Stop STUPIDITY Act’ aimed at preventing future shutdowns

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
a Democratic senator is introducing a bill that he says would prevent such crises in the future.

The name of the bill: the Stop STUPIDITY Act.

The measure, introduced Tuesday by Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), would automatically keep all of the federal government running in the case of a future funding standoff — with the exceptions of the legislative branch and the Executive Office of the President.

“The Stop STUPIDITY Act takes the aggressive but necessary step of forcing the president and Congress to do the jobs they were elected to do,” Warner said in a statement. “Workers, business owners and tax payers are currently paying the price of D.C. gridlock and my legislation will put an end to that.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.14edfc31ad7c

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
a Democratic senator is introducing a bill that he says would prevent such crises in the future.

The measure, introduced Tuesday by Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), would automatically keep all of the federal government running in the case of a future funding standoff — with the exceptions of the legislative branch and the Executive Office of the President.

“The Stop STUPIDITY Act takes the aggressive but necessary step of forcing the president and Congress to do the jobs they were elected to do,” Warner said in a statement. “Workers, business owners and tax payers are currently paying the price of D.C. gridlock and my legislation will put an end to that.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.14edfc31ad7c

Did the shutdown end? I hadn't noticed.
If Warner really wants to stop stupidity in Congress perhaps he ought to resign?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Edit: on second thoughts this might be constitutional, but it would allow all future Presidents to operate with greatly reduced Congressional oversight.

Can't see Congress voting for that.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If that's true you should be very grateful to the thousands of federal workers who continued to work despite not being paid and even more to the contractors who will never be reimbursed. You should consider yourself blessed that an event that had a $10~billion negative impact on our nation's economy was so beneath you that you were unaffected.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Edit: on second thoughts this might be constitutional, but it would allow all future Presidents to operate with greatly reduced Congressional oversight.

Can't see Congress voting for that.

Actually, it's still unconstitutional.

Article 2, Section 1: The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,326.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Actually, it's still unconstitutional.

Article 2, Section 1: The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.
I need to read the bill, but it appears as if it only effects the Executive Office of the President, not the President himself.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The shutdown costed twice as much via economic impact to this country than Trump is asking for to build a wall. Stupidity was manifested in the Senator's party unwillingness to even have a discussion.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If Warner really wants to stop stupidity in Congress perhaps he ought to resign?

It temporarily ended. There might be another shutdown on Feb.15th if trump doesn't get the funding for his wall. But with all of the money the government lost during the shutdown they could have started building the wall already. So it wouldn't surprise me if trump does end up getting the funding for the wall on Feb.15th.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The shutdown costed twice as much via economic impact to this country than Trump is asking for to build a wall. Stupidity was manifested in the Senator's party unwillingness to even have a discussion.
Stupidity is paying off extortionists thinking they're going to be nice and stop extorting from you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Stupidity is paying off extortionists thinking they're going to be nice and stop extorting from you.
One side refused to talk to the other, even saying "no" before they heard an offer. Regardless, I wasn't taking sides, I was stating a simple fact. The shutdown costed this country over 10 billion, it would have been cheaper and better for all to have just included 5 billion and been done with it.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
...The shutdown costed this country over 10 billion, it would have been cheaper and better for all to have just included 5 billion and been done with it.
Since it's Mexico's money being wasted instead of taxpayers, that doesn't really matter to the current administration.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since it's Mexico's money being wasted instead of taxpayers, that doesn't really matter to the current administration.
Trump says stupid things but the bottom line is there is a trade deficit with Mexico that if altered causes them to pay for the wall. And... because our resources are being drained by millions that don't pay taxes, and our health care is also weighed down by millions who receive "free" health care that don't pay into the system... then by only allowing LEGAL people who pay their fair share into the system... that, too... pays for the wall if you are against a wall... an increased border security that stops illegals from entering at will. This isn't rocket science and it doesn't have to be political.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One side refused to talk to the other, even saying "no" before they heard an offer.
The "one side" was perfectly willing to talk, has talked previously, and is talking now. What they weren't willing to do was give up something in exchange for the other side simply letting the US government function.

One "side" -- that is, Donald Trump -- announced that he was going to shut down the government. He did so, costing billions. He's now allowed the government to reopen, having accomplished precisely nothing in the process. And you think somebody else is to blame here?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The "one side" was perfectly willing to talk, has talked previously, and is talking now. What they weren't willing to do was give up something in exchange for the other side simply letting the US government function.

One "side" -- that is, Donald Trump -- announced that he was going to shut down the government. He did so, costing billions. He's now allowed the government to reopen, having accomplished precisely nothing in the process. And you think somebody else is to blame here?
I am not even reading your post. When you click the "funny" response, you are proving you have no desire to talk. Instead, you are allowing your emotions to rule you. I don't have time to waste on that. Have a great day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trump says stupid things but the bottom line is there is a trade deficit with Mexico that if altered causes them to pay for the wall.
Um, sure. Leaving aside the fact that the wall has zero to do with the trade deficit, and that the trade deficit has no direct connection with government income . . . by this argument Mexico is also paying for my root canal, our ongoing combat operations in Afghanistan, and Manny Machado's salary next year. If the US spends billions on a wall, those billions are coming from US taxpayers, not Mexico.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not even reading your post. When you click the "funny" response, you are proving you have no desire to talk.
Are you really unaware that you clicked "funny" on my post first?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Um, sure. Leaving aside the fact that the wall has zero to do with the trade deficit, and that the trade deficit has no direct connection with government income . . . by this argument Mexico is also paying for my root canal, our ongoing combat operations in Afghanistan, and Manny Machado's salary next year. If the US spends billions on a wall, those billions are coming from US taxpayers, not Mexico.
And I am fine with that... because I don't believe the border should be such that anyone can just cross at any time. Drugs, deaths due to drugs, rapes, murders, gangs, drained resources, and the potential for just one terrorist to come over with a tactical nuke or bio agent and millions being killed. When that happens, not if, people like you will wish we had guarded the door better. That said, I am not replying to you again.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you really unaware that you clicked "funny" on my post first?
No, I know what I did but I actually thought it was funny... I wasn't mocking. You were mocking and you are on ignore. Have a great life.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If that's true you should be very grateful to the thousands of federal workers who continued to work despite not being paid and even more to the contractors who will never be reimbursed. You should consider yourself blessed that an event that had a $10~billion negative impact on our nation's economy was so beneath you that you were unaffected.

What would I be grateful for? You seem to be assuming three things that are not proven 1) there are people that will not be reimbursed. 2) the federal government bureaucracy has a positive rather than negative effect on my life.3) The shutdown had much of a negative impact on the economy. I have no reason to be grateful to government employees that worked a few weeks before being reimbursed , and I surely have no reason to be grateful to those government employees that got an extra paid vacation. I surely have no reason to be grateful to people that , though very well off financially, accepted free handouts while really needy people went hungry. Nor do I expect to receive any gratitude for myself or those others of us that pay federal taxes in order for them to receive the lucrative salaries they earn.

Upvote 0