variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think he is running out of material. If the Republicans were smart they would harness the power of the alt right and reign them it. Apparently Sean Hannity doesn't realize the strength of this movement, that just encourages me as a Democrat.

The alt right isn't possible to "reign in", that's the appeal.

It also makes them an unruly mob, but that's the nature of the beast.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It provokes Muslim extremists, which leads to terrorist attacks, which justify Muslim bans and prolonged wars in the middle east.

Well, Donald does need his own Reichstag fire to justify what he wants done to Muslims; I just thought he'd be more subtle about provoking it.

In hindsight, it was rather silly to assume Donald would ever be subtle.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Besides, Donald doesn't want them reined in, he wants them unleashed. Politicians always pander to their base.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

They have impressive numbers and the old school conservatives were having trouble getting popular support. The Tea Party exercised tremendous influence within the GOP but the generally reflected a conservative, trickle down, pro status quo agenda. The alt right is different, wildly nationalistic and threatening even the GOP's conservative base. They got the tax bill through and while Moore is damaged goods, dripping with the mud of sexual allegations he is still standing. I suspect these are lightning flashes on the horizon, the interim elections should be a slam dunk for Democrats but they snached defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016, don't believe it can't happen in 2018.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I suspect these are lightning flashes on the horizon, the interim elections should be a slam dunk for Democrats but they snached defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016, don't believe it can't happen in 2018.
Does the Democrat party stand for anything, really ... other than re-electing its members any way it can and smearing the opposition with any lie, no matter how outrageous?

If Democrats expect to win in 2018 shouldn't they stand for something? Is there anything?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Does the Democrat party stand for anything, really ... other than re-electing its members any way it can and smearing the opposition with any lie, no matter how outrageous?

If Democrats expect to win in 2018 shouldn't they stand for something? Is there anything?
They have long been involved in social equality issues, they are prochoice and their agenda is well known. Their fiscal policies have resulted in stable and prosperous economies under Clinton and Obama while George W. Bush and Regan overseen terrible recessions. There is a fair amount of mudslinging on both sides but the prostatus quo GOP couldn't be more different then the Democrat policies that share the benefits and burdens of US governance.

In short the Democrat party stands for plenty and it's not just lip service. It's fitting that Flynn would lead the chant to lock her up at the GOP national convention only to have to plead guilty to lying to the FBI which is only one of his crimes. Somebody is lying and it's not the Democrats this time, the Trump administration has been mired in scandal and false statements since early in the administration and will continue throughout Trump's tenure as President. The Democrats aren't doing this to the GOP, they are doing it to themselves. If they are so innocent, then why lie.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The Democrats aren't doing this to the GOP, they are doing it to themselves.
Noting that the Democrats have only themselves to blame for becoming a minority party, losing control of all three branches of federal government and the vast majority of state governments nationwide.

The Democrats did that to themselves.
If they are so innocent, then why lie.
Indeed! Why lie about Republicans? One would think Democrats would be able to point to the fruit of their efforts ... improving lives and such ... rather than just declaring how evil Republicans are.

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity
.​

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
One would think Democrats would be able to point to the fruit of their efforts ... improving lives and such ... rather than just declaring how evil Republicans are.

I'm curious as to who/what they are enriching other than their own bank accounts???

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Did The GOP before Donald's cult of personality took it over?

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Did The GOP before Donald's cult of personality took it over?
Never said it did.

The difference I do see is that some of the Republicans do stand on principle, whereas none of the Democrats dare step out of line from the party bosses.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Never said it did.

And yet, they took Congress and a good number of those states long before Donald took the spotlight.

The difference I do see is that some of the Republicans do stand on principle, whereas none of the Democrats dare step out of line from the party bosses.

The problem is that Donald is the party boss now -- those "Republicans standing on principle" are either RINOs or The Swamp. Take your pick.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
And yet, they took Congress and a good number of those states long before Donald took the spotlight.
Remember the TEA party sweep?
The problem with that Donald is the party boss now -- those "Republicans standing on principle" are either RINOs or The Swamp. Take your pick.
It's not an either/or situation as you suppose.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's not an either/or situation as you suppose.

True, they could be perceived as both... either way, Donald's loyalists are glad to see them off and replace them with Republicans with principles that line up with their own... such as Moore.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
True, they could be perceived as both... either way, Donald's loyalists are glad to see them off and replace them with Republicans with principles that line up with their own... such as Moore.
Indeed - a rare case when we agree.

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Which is what I was saying. The more the GOP rejects McCain, Flake and Romney in the center, the more it has to embrace Roy Moore and Richard Spencer on what was once the far right. The party of purity must embrace the hate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Which is what I was saying. The more the GOP rejects McCain, Flake and Romney in the center, the more it has to embrace Roy Moore and Richard Spencer on what was once the far right. The party of purity must embrace the hate.
You seem to be confusing hate with frustration and anger.

People are frustrated and angry with both political parties.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You seem to be confusing hate with frustration and anger.

People are frustrated and angry with both political parties.

And yet they continue to embrace one of them.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
And yet they continue to embrace one of them.

Noting that the anointed candidate of neither party was allowed to occupy the White House ... though the Democrats did attempt to perpetuate a decades old dynasty.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Noting that the anointed candidate of neither party was allowed to occupy the White House ... though the Democrats did attempt to perpetuate a decades old dynasty.

"Anointed candidate"?

Upvote 0