• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sean Hannity: GOP is a 'dead party' | The Hill

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by NightHawkeye, Dec 7, 2017.

1. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+89,474
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Got a link?

2. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+5,188
    Methodist
    Married
    It's at "The Hill", and not linked for the usual reasons.

3. Hammster

Hammster Don't care much for fancy parties. Too rough. Staff Member Administrator Supporter

+7,634
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    What evidence is that?

4. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+89,474
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    What is up with Hannity?

5. jmldn2

jmldn2 Newbie Supporter

+44
    United States
    Methodist
    Married

I don't totally agree with all of Hannity's observation about the GOP. There are those within the GOP, however, who need to go. There are a few who hate that Trump won and they or their personal candidate didn't win. There are some rhinos as well.

Having said that, I believe the GOP has visionaries, honest and dedicated leaders who will work with the President to MAGA.

6. jmldn2

jmldn2 Newbie Supporter

+44
    United States
    Methodist
    Married

I think so too. Trump has no regard to political platitudes, doesn't need the money, is an outsider, and IMHO I believe he truly does care about this country.

7. Almost there

Almost there Well-Known Member

+791
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I don't think he even cares if he gets re-elected. He's basically saying "Damn the torpedoes" and doing what he believes this country needs, and in a very apolitical way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+1,703
    Presbyterian
    Married
    The politicians are hesitant to give into the "Unite the Right in Charlottetown" crowd. That's why they flounder. They just have to give into the hate.

9. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+814
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    Wow! Now that is one of the truest posts that I have ever seen in Christian Forums. I have been making this claim for decades and that is why I almost always vote for third party candidates. As a late politician once said, "There is not a dime's worth of difference between the Democratic and Republican parties". To a great extent, he was right. Think about it. (1) Both the Dems and Repubs have run up the National Debt to a dangerous level. (2) Both the Dems and Repubs allowed 20-30 million factory jobs to be sent overseas. (3) Both the Dems and Repubs failed stop illegal immigration for the 30+ years since Reagan signed his amnesty bill.

10. Veritas

Veritas 1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism

+2,071
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Precisely why Trump got elected. The GOP gave us Mc Cain and Romney. To be fair, the Democratic party is also dead. Time to open up the political and electoral process to through reform that allows more options and takes the power out of party bosses and lobbyists.

11. Ancient of Days

Ancient of Days Active Member Supporter

+261
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    They are all corrupt. There is no difference between a Republican and Democratic politician. The whole Govt. is corrupt. The time for a revolution is nigh.

12. Uncle Siggy

Uncle Siggy Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information

+2,726
    Non-Denom
    Private
    You have to remember he used to have to do business with them before he became a candidate, he knows what skeletons are hanging in their closets and that is what makes him a big threat to them...

13. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+4,738
    United States
    Married
    Be careful what you wish for.

14. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+4,091
    Other Religion
    Hannity and the other right-wing anger mongers are part of the problem, too. If the Republican party is dead, Hannity's fear factory and sycophantic buffoonery is part of what killed it.

Hannity, Limbaugh, et al ran out of material years ago. Every time I tune in (which is rare, but it happens), I hear the same tired talking points that I heard Rush spouting when I used to listen to him in the early 90s.

To put things in perspective:

Limbaugh went national in 1988 and is still on the air.
    David Letterman took over the Late Show in 1993 and retired in 2015.
    Hannity went to Fox in 1996 and is still on the air.
    Jon Stewart took over The Daily Show in 1999 and retired in 2015.

Stewart did his show for 16 years, while Letterman did his for 22 years. Upon leaving, both expressed sentiments along the lines of their contributions to the show getting stale.

Hannity's been doing his show for 21 years and Limbaugh's been doing his for 29. If Letterman and Stewart couldn't bring anything new to their respective shows, how much could Limbaugh and especially Hannity (who isn't remotely as clever as the rest of them) be bringing to theirs?

It amazes me that someone can laud Trump and take a dump on McCain and Romney while complaining about how bad the GOP is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. szechuan

szechuan Newbie

+740
    Agnostic
    Private
    You forgot about Roy Moore.

16. pat34lee

pat34lee Messianic

+2,191
    Messianic
    Single
    What makes them morally corrupt is that they were saying
    the same things the whole time Obama was in office. Now
    that Trump is President, they have been exposed as liars
    because they now have the power and refuse to do what
    they promised.

17. pat34lee

pat34lee Messianic

+2,191
    Messianic
    Single
    Look back on McCain's and Romney's careers and tell me,
    what makes them any different from the Democrats? Even
    when they ran for President, their campaign slogans may as
    well have been "ME TOO!"

18. pat34lee

pat34lee Messianic

+2,191
    Messianic
    Single
    This is why the left has been losing for the last few years.

"Anyone who doesn't think like me is my enemy. All people
    who want smaller government are Nazis, racists, sexists and
    homophobes."

19. pat34lee

pat34lee Messianic

+2,191
    Messianic
    Single
    No, what makes him a threat is that they don't have dirt
    on him. They have dirt on each other, which is why they
    are both sides of the same coin.

20. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+2,303
    Atheist
    Married
    The Republican Party isn't dead. It's divided. Between conservatives, and moderate/liberals. Which goes back a long, long way. At least as far back as the early 1900s, when Teddy Roosevelt split from the party because it rejected his progressive Presidential aspirations. The moderate Republicans are now an endangered species. (And some posters here would like them to go completely extinct.) But there was a time when they were very prominent and productive. Something like 80+ percent of Congressional Republicans voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act. And about half (or just a bit less) supported Medicare. Back in 1970, most House Repubs and every Senate Republican voted for Title X, which provided federal funding for family planning services, i.e., birth control (which is how PP got federal support.) A year earlier, President Nixon, who strongly supported the bill, made this statement:

"It is my view that no American woman should be denied access to family planning assistance because of her economic condition. I believe, therefore, that we should establish as a national goal the provision of adequate family planning services within the next five years to all those who want them but cannot afford them."

Richard Nixon: Special Message to the Congress on Problems of Population Growth.

Can anyone imagine a Republican today saying this? What in the world happened to the Grand Old Party?

Edited to add: Just saw this piece from The Hill. Susan Collins may change her vote on the final tax reform bill if her amendments aren't included. She insisted that the Senate version retain deductions for property taxes (up to a reasonable limit) and medical expenses over a certain AGI percentage. I hope she sticks to her guns. What a great Senator, and a great lady. She's the best.

Collins considers changing vote on tax bill over amendments

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017