keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I thought Battlefield Earth was pretty fun, though the movie was a disgrace (or so I hear). It's kind of like the LotR of sci-fi (i.e. it heavily influenced sci-fi writing as we know it), so an interesting read on a historical note.

Rubbish absolute rubbish. Battlefield Earth comes late in the game for even its sub-genre it is a 1982 novel that is on a par with non-remarkable pulp fiction works of the 40s and 50s.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

euripetelynn

Dec 13, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟8,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rubbish absolute rubbish. Battlefield Earth comes late in the game for even its sub-genre it is a 1982 novel that is on a par with non-remarkable pulp fiction works of the 40s and 50s.

Whoops, that's embarrassing. I guess I was thinking of the author himself, who started writing in the 30's and whom I've read has been pretty influential for modern sci-fi (maybe this is wrong too though?). Battlefield Earth is just the most popular of his writing.

I love it anyway, though maybe I haven't read enough sci-fi.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Whoops, that's embarrassing. I guess I was thinking of the author himself, who started writing in the 30's and whom I've read has been pretty influential for modern sci-fi (maybe this is wrong too though?). Battlefield Earth is just the most popular of his writing.

I love it anyway, though maybe I haven't read enough sci-fi.

Well here is a blurb from the wiki on Hubbard that pretty much sums things up:

Hubbard is the Guinness World Record holder for the most published author, with 1,084 works,[318] most translated book (70 languages for The Way to Happiness)[319] and most audiobooks (185 as of April 2009).[320] According to Galaxy Press, Hubbard's Battlefield Earth has sold over 6 million copies and Mission Earth a further 7 million, with each of its ten volumes becoming New York Times bestsellers on their release;[31] however, the Los Angeles Times reported in 1990 that Hubbard's followers had been buying large numbers of the books and re-issuing them to stores, so as to boost sales figures.[321] Opinions are divided about his literary legacy. Scientologists have written of their desire to "make Ron the most acclaimed and widely known author of all time".[321] The sociologist William Sims Bainbridge writes that even at his peak in the late 1930s Hubbard was regarded by readers of Astounding Science Fiction as merely "a passable, familiar author but not one of the best", while by the late 1970s "the [science fiction] subculture wishes it could forget him" and fans gave him a worse rating than any other of the "Golden Age" writers.

I skimmed the Wiki to see if it included any awards, I did not see any. No Hugos, No Nebulas, nothing.

Upvote 0

euripetelynn

Dec 13, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟8,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Hubbard's followers had been buying large numbers of the books and re-issuing them to stores, so as to boost sales figures...Scientologists have written of their desire to 'make Ron the most acclaimed and widely known author of all time'."

That's actually kind of funny. Also maybe a little scary...talk about crazy fans o_O

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
"Hubbard's followers had been buying large numbers of the books and re-issuing them to stores, so as to boost sales figures...Scientologists have written of their desire to 'make Ron the most acclaimed and widely known author of all time'."

That's actually kind of funny. Also maybe a little scary...talk about crazy fans o_O

Scientology is scary stuff. Last I heard it was an outlawed cult in Germany.

It may be that I have almost finished rereading Stranger in a Strange Land but right now the only possible major influence Hubbard might have had on Science Fiction that I can think of is that he may have been part of the inspiration for the Fosterites in that book. Clearly only part, the Be Happy part is clearly not scientology.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Since I had to do the work to confirm no Hugo for Hubbard I figure giving a link to Hugo and Nebula winners is worth posting. The first just novels and only up to 2012. The second a bit inconvenient but all Hugos.

They are not all 'life changing' but at least no real garbage.

http://www.abebooks.com/books/collecting-hugo-nebula/science-fiction-fantasy-awards.shtml

http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/

Keith, are you familiar with The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction?

By the way, in response to this thread, I myself rather like Dune, Nineteen Eighty Four, and practically anything by Edmond "Planet Buster" Hamilton.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Keith, are you familiar with The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction?

By the way, in response to this thread, I myself rather like Dune, Nineteen Eighty Four, and practically anything by Edmond "Planet Buster" Hamilton.

Not all that familiar with it. I went over and took a look and wasn't impressed.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Since I had to do the work to confirm no Hugo for Hubbard I figure giving a link to Hugo and Nebula winners is worth posting. The first just novels and only up to 2012. The second a bit inconvenient but all Hugos.

They are not all 'life changing' but at least no real garbage.

http://www.abebooks.com/books/collecting-hugo-nebula/science-fiction-fantasy-awards.shtml

http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/

I do not think that Hubbard is a good author, but the Hugos are hardly an accurate measure of whether an author writes quality work. The list of novels you linked to is particulary misleading, since it does not include the likes of Jack Vance, Harlan Ellison, Gordon R Dickson and Poul Anderson and many others who cannot seriously be called poor or minor science fiction authors.

But the Hugos did miss some of science fiction's greatest authors, most notably Cordwainer Smith and A.E. van Vogt. The latter is particularly notable given how few awards van Vogt received award throughout his life, getting the SFWA grandmaster only after years of lobbying by no less than Harlan Ellison. It is also worth noting that Gene Wolfe, considered by many current authors to be the greatest living author in the genre, has never received a Hugo award (though he has been nominated several times).

Awards of this nature generally amount to awarding the popularity of the author (among the right crowd) not the quality of the story itself. I understand the temptation to use them as a more "objective" gauge of quality, but really when you get down to it polling these forums will give you about as accurate of understanding of quality science fiction as browsing Hugo winners lists will.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I do not think that Hubbard is a good author, but the Hugos are hardly an accurate measure of whether an author writes quality work. The list of novels you linked to is particulary misleading, since it does not include the likes of Jack Vance, Harlan Ellison, Gordon R Dickson and Poul Anderson and many others who cannot seriously be called poor or minor science fiction authors.

But the Hugos did miss some of science fiction's greatest authors, most notably Cordwainer Smith and A.E. van Vogt. The latter is particularly notable given how few awards van Vogt received award throughout his life, getting the SFWA grandmaster only after years of lobbying by no less than Harlan Ellison. It is also worth noting that Gene Wolfe, considered by many current authors to be the greatest living author in the genre, has never received a Hugo award (though he has been nominated several times).

Awards of this nature generally amount to awarding the popularity of the author (among the right crowd) not the quality of the story itself. I understand the temptation to use them as a more "objective" gauge of quality, but really when you get down to it polling these forums will give you about as accurate of understanding of quality science fiction as browsing Hugo winners lists will.

True, the Hugos and Nebula awards don't give the full picture, especially for authors who did their writing early in the game or who were ahead of their time.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Recently I have been reading the series "Bill the Galactic Hero." Consider it light reading, as he routinely encounters heroes and characters from other well known Sci-Fi series. Chewgumma was one of the best. Oh, and I liked his Swiss-Army Foot as well.

Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Le Guin is rarely an easy read. The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas is the only one I recall in detail. Not difficult reading, but tough to think about.

I had to read that one in college. Even though the details of it escape me, it still leaves an impression. I recall, as you've mentioned, that it's "tough to think about."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tim Goodwin

Just Be!
Feb 17, 2016
Montana
✟7,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Greetings Everybody,
Thought I'd just jump in here and add my two cents for what that's worth. Smile. To start with, I like most anything JRR Tolkien, TH White, Asimov, JM Barrie - (Peter Pan), Brothers Grimm, JK Rowling, Beatrix Potter and lately Elvin Nations trilogy, a Dragon Lance three book series, which I just completed. I tried Robin Hobbs book called Ship Of Magic but for some reason, it just didn't keep me interested. Just not my style I guess or maybe I just wasn't in the mood at the time. Who knows.
I am a classic fantasy person and for the most part really like the style of writing from let's say the Tolkien, White era. It had that certain quality you don't really find today, not to mention it was general audience rated. That suits my right down to the ground. Probably one of the reasons I liked the John Wayne movies so well. He was able to act tough, the acting being the operative word and yet give a good performance and yet not cuss or get lude or lascivious. Just one guys opinion. Thanks.
God is great!
Tim
PS: Jan Karon and the Father Tim books have made a lasting impression on me as far as my writing today goes and besides I just like her stories. They're fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Airus10111

Jul 17, 2016
Richmond
✟15,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey is great! Each chapter is written from a separate POV (like Game of Thrones, minus the ...uh, moral ambiguity). James S.A. Corey is actually the pen name of an author duo: Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. I took a SciFi literature class in college and found it to be severely lacking; it wasn't until I stumbled across The Expanse that I renewed my interest in the genre.

I'm actually all caught up on The Expanse. Would anyone recommend the Shannara Trilogy? I'm a glutton for really long works of fiction (ie, GOT, Wild Cards, Dark Tower series, etc.).

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have read a boatload of fantasy in my time. But only recently started on some Sci-Fi. Now I know I am supposed to read the Dark Tower series, anything I can by Isaac Asimov, Orwell's 1984 but that's roughly what I have down so far.

Does anyone here have something newer to contribute with? Or old classics you find good for that matter. I read 6 books by David Weber in December and the first half of January. So anything not by him would be appreciated. (Idon't think he's that good anyway. He gets too predictable after a few books, don't you think?)

I recommend Neal Stephenson, Allistair Reynolds, and Gene Wolfe.

Stephenson's Baroque Cycle series and Cryptonomicon are not Sci-Fi, but they are great reads also.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Gene Wolfe - Book of the New Sun; Book of the Long Sun
Jack Vance - Demon Princes series; Tschai/Planet of Adventure tetralogy
Frank Herbert - Dune series