keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Avoid anything with very scantily clad women on the cover they are generally cheap pulp stuff.

The 'cheap pulp stuff' includes most of Heinlein's, Asimov's and Clarke's stuff. Works that put most of what is written today to shame.

Upvote 0

daretto

Dec 22, 2018
Seattle
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it would be logical to read the unofficial sequel to George Orwell’s 1984 novel, written by Peter Huber - Orwell’s Revenge. The novel describes a world where people use technology that once enslaved them to free themselves. At that time (time of publication - 1994), the Internet and telecommunications opened up new ways of communication. The book helped me to look at a different angle from new technologies and this was in the context of the fact that conservation of energy practice problems for me at that time were the main issues that I considered in my diploma.

Upvote 0

DanishLutheran

Dec 22, 2018
Aarhus
✟25,867.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The 'cheap pulp stuff' includes most of Heinlein's, Asimov's and Clarke's stuff. Works that put most of what is written today to shame.

I have only read one thing of Heinlein's: Starship Troopers.
And that was excellent.
As close to a Utopia as humanity is likely to get this side of the Second Coming.

Upvote 0

robk

Jul 31, 2006
Central Minnesota
Visit site
✟17,383.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Legend of Ivan.

Disclaimer. I am the author's father.

That said, I have read "The Legend of Ivan" twelve times. (over the 3 o4 4 year or so). As you might guess, I really like this book.

Why?

Number one is its originality. The main character is Sid, the archivist. He goes around collecting "information." Now you might think, "Librarian? Zzzzzzzz. But his origin is fascinating. The information he seeks better referred to as "top secrets," so it is often hard to come by and only gained at great peril. And, thanks to technological enhancements, he is one tough cookie.

His search for Ivan, his periodic "Reports" to his employer, make a great framework for this story. I have read a lot of science fiction and comics. This is the first time I have come across a character like Sid.

Then there is Ivan himself. What is he? Are the legends true? How could they be? And yet they are, but not in ways that I originally thought they would be. Some interesting surprises on how the legends about Ivan actually happened. (eg. One legend is a that Ivan punched a dinosaur. That would imply either an Ivan who lived a long time or one that could travel through time. But neither of these is true. There is, in fact, another way that Ivan crossed paths with these, "terrible lizards." And the” how” is both fascinating and well told.) Anyway, all of these foreshadowing connections is one of the reasons I have read the book so many times.

And then there is characterization. You get to know who Sid is, why he is the way he is and how he changes in the course of the book. His main competitor/antagonist for the secrets Ivan harbors is Cain. A great villain who is always showing up at just the right/wrong times. And some very original writing on the means by which Sid handles the much better enhanced, much better armed Cain.

Then there is Ivan himself. Boisterous, gregarious, full of fun and life, but also with his own hidden pathos as well. Ivan is a very likable character and easy to cheer for.

And then there is the ending. Something happens. And though I may have wished that it wouldn’t have happened, the whole story line has lead up to it, so that I was not surprised that it happened. But then something else happens that cancels the first thing that happens. And I am not surprised at the second happening either, because all the clues that it was coming were there earlier in the book.

Originality, characterization foreshadowing and the “twist.” For me, these are the things that go into making up a great story. “Ivan” has them all. And I can’t think of anything that doesn’t fit. That is why I have read it so many times and will be reading it many more times too.

As I said, I used to read a lot of comics in my day. (I even had copies of Hulk 180 and 181 bought long before Wolverine became popular). I think “Ivan” would make a great graphic novel. So if you know anyone...

Hope you enjoy “The legend of Ivan as much have I have and will.

rob k

Upvote 0