✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Roger Zelazny - The Amber series and pretty much anything else

Glen Cook - the Garrett, P. I. novels. The Black Company series I didn't enjoy so much.

Tolkien has been mentioned, but I cannot not mention him in good faith.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Roger Zelazny - The Amber series and pretty much anything else

Glen Cook - the Garrett, P. I. novels. The Black Company series I didn't enjoy so much.

Tolkien has been mentioned, but I cannot not mention him in good faith.
I see I need to clear up one of my statements..

J. R. R. Tolkien is one of my favorite authors. Other than being somewhat 'wordy', I find Tolkien excellent in both literary ability and expression. I said, "...I cannot mention him in good faith" only in the sense he isn't a Sci-Fi writer. He is a master story-teller of the "Fantasy" genre. He is most acceptable from either a literary or Christian view.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
A lot of the pulp stuff was far better than a lot of what is being written today.
May I add a number of buxom female figures were added to the covers of various and sundry books which had absolutely nothing to do with the story line as a marketing ploy to attract male readers.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
May I add a number of buxom female figures were added to the covers of various and sundry books which had absolutely nothing to do with the story line as a marketing ploy to attract male readers.

Have you ever read Bored of the Rings? by Harvard Lampoon. I don't remember much but the one thing I do remember is it has a cover blurb about a Dragon on rollerskates that is rather sexual and so strange one becomes quite curious just how they managed to get in that situation. Such blurbs are often excerpts that are not indicative of the whole work. In this case it is an excerpt that is nowhere to be found in the work.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Have you ever read Bored of the Rings? by Harvard Lampoon. I don't remember much but the one thing I do remember is it has a cover blurb about a Dragon on rollerskates that is rather sexual and so strange one becomes quite curious just how they managed to get in that situation. Such blurbs are often excerpts that are not indicative of the whole work. In this case it is an excerpt that is nowhere to be found in the work.
I studiously avoided 'Bored of the Rings'. I still do.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I also recommend Parable of the Sower, or anything else by Octavia Butler. Parable of the Sower is a bit scary to read now, though, like The Handmaid's Tale.

For scary I find Heinlein and to a degree Asimov and Clarke to far outdistance anything written today. Why? Because some of their works sound like they were written 5 or 6 years ago instead of 5 or 6 decades. So much has come to pass, why not the final nasty bits.

Scary to read now is If This Goes On. OK he did miss a bit. Nehemiah Scudder 'was' elected president in 2012. But who would have had concerns about electing a preacher president in 1940? NOW a lot of us have concerns about the wrong kind of "Christian" being elected.

BTW if one with that name gets a big following I'm buying guns and moving to Arizona or New Mexico where I plan to work with closet Catholics and do some spelunking!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I also recommend Parable of the Sower, or anything else by Octavia Butler. Parable of the Sower is a bit scary to read now, though, like The Handmaid's Tale.

For scary I find Heinlein and to a degree Asimov and Clarke to far outdistance anything written today. Why? Because some of their works sound like they were written 5 or 6 years ago instead of 5 or 6 decades. So much has come to pass, why not the final nasty bits.

Scary to read now is If This Goes On. OK he did miss a bit. Nehemiah Scudder 'was' elected president in 2012. But who would have had concerns about electing a preacher president in 1940? NOW a lot of us have concerns about the wrong kind of "Christian" being elected.

BTW if one with that name gets a big following I'm buying guns and moving to Arizona or New Mexico where I plan to work with closet Catholics and do some spelunking!

Upvote 0

Teamo

Oct 17, 2018
NJ
✟28,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As the thread has become Christ like (risen from the dead), I figured I'd throw in some other sci-fi.

Accelerando by Charles Stross An interesting look at the near future

I enjoyed Accelerando, I think I need to re-read it

Upvote 0

Teamo

Oct 17, 2018
NJ
✟28,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I recommend Neal Stephenson, Allistair Reynolds, and Gene Wolfe.

Stephenson's Baroque Cycle series and Cryptonomicon are not Sci-Fi, but they are great reads also.

My favorite Stephenson book is Anathem, I re-read it recently.

I don't want to give too much away but it involves cloistered monks and aliens

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Avoid anything with very scantily clad women on the cover they are generally cheap pulp stuff.

Not really. The covers were just the covers--like misleading movie trailers--with usually some of the best vintage science fiction within.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I've been on a Man-Kzin Wars stint lately in Niven's Known Universe setting. Pretty good for the most part. i find it interesting how various authors predict how religion will be and how it might affect aliens in some of them.

It is Known Space. I'm pretty sure there is a minor Known Space story that is quite interesting. There was a race that spent a lot of effort finding out what happened after death. For them it was Christianity without any chance of salvation. E.g. everyone ended up in a place of eternal torment.

There solution was to create an artificial life form that had no 'soul' so when they died they just died and then set that race to the task of finding a way out. The original race then all went into stasis fields, technically not dead. One story is about finding a memeber of that race.

Sorry I can't find what story that is.

Upvote 0