Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Speaking of cyberspace not sure if I had listed this before but worth a re-mentioning if I have... Neuromancer by William Gibson in 1984 when computers were still new, a vision of what cyber space would look like if we could see it as a visual place and not raw data. Some of the things described sound like places I've been in Second Life a virtual chat/building "game" platform on the web.

Upvote 0

TimAuthor

Author of Time Cruisers
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
✟15,249.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I may be so bold, let me recommend my book, The Time Cruisers The Exodus Trap on sale now at Amazon.

Book description
A search for a missing scientist, responsible for the Philadelphia Experiment during World War II, takes his son, Ronald Montgomery, and his friends on an exciting, epic-sized time travel adventure through biblical history and beyond.

While on his journey, he must confront incredible odds, facing the likes of Pharaoh's army, and Adolf Hitler’s Nazi soldiers and villainous right hand man, Bastian Wolfe. Joining him on this adventure are his prospective love interest, Mary, his rival for her affections, Mack, Professor Jack Warren, and a mysterious government agent named John Martin.

Along the way, this group of time traveling adventurers will also encounter Noah, Moses, and even the Biblical strong man, Samson. Relive the Bible’s greatest adventures through the eyes of our heroes, and learn the secrets of America’s underground time travel organization, known as ATTA, sworn to defend America from all enemies, past, present, and future.

It's a thrill ride that spans the centuries and makes you witness to the most spectacular events of all human history!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would recommend ANYTHING by Kathy Tyers. She has her own series; (5 so far) "Firebird." It is a bit Star Wars like but Christian in flavor. She also wrote 2 of the real Star Wars novels (Truce at Bakura and Balance Point) There are a few stand alone books as well.

Christian SF is a very under-served genre.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you haven't, read the classics first. I Robot, 2001, Cities in Flight, the Foundation series, Earth Abides, No Blade of Grass, Starship Troopers, Ringworld, Alas Babylon, Venus Plus X, The Illustrated Man, The Chronicles of Amber, etc.

Compared to works such as these the Hunger Games genre is exposed for the drivel it is.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If you haven't, read the classics first. I Robot, 2001, Cities in Flight, the Foundation series, Earth Abides, No Blade of Grass, Starship Troopers, Ringworld, Alas Babylon, Venus Plus X, The Illustrated Man, The Chronicles of Amber, etc.

Compared to works such as these the Hunger Games genre is exposed for the drivel it is.

If you have seen the Film Starship Troopers and consider it garbage keep in mind it is the compliment of some 60s TV shows. You know the ones that say the story is true, only the names have been changed...

Compared to the book the film has only kept the names.

Also to expand on the classics and their children up to today, simply search the internet for Hugo and Nebula winners. Then try a few other works from the same authors.

Oh and the anthology Before the Golden Age by Asimov is worth reading. There was good stuff being written in the 1930s.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bknight006

Lost in the Multiverse
Jun 14, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I have read a boatload of fantasy in my time. But only recently started on some Sci-Fi. Now I know I am supposed to read the Dark Tower series, anything I can by Isaac Asimov, Orwell's 1984 but that's roughly what I have down so far.

Does anyone here have something newer to contribute with? Or old classics you find good for that matter. I read 6 books by David Weber in December and the first half of January. So anything not by him would be appreciated. (Idon't think he's that good anyway. He gets too predictable after a few books, don't you think?)

Of course, Ender's Game has already been mentioned, but also try reading its sequels. The three starring Ender are heavily philosophical, while the ones starring Bean are more political thrillers. I enjoyed each equally.

Also, try reading some of the Star Wars Expanded Universe if you're into the series. I'd recommend the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Also, Drew Karpyshyn's SW:EU works aren't to be ignored.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I've mostly been reading Star Wars books lately. Everything by Karen Traviss has been decent at least and awesome at best. I read the Republic Commando (including the 501st!) series again. Now reading her Clone Wars novelization.
New Jedi Order was mentioned and some of those have *excellent* writing, and not just for a Star Wars book. Any book.
And if you're feeling Dark Side-y...Darth Bane. Nuff said.

Reactions: Bknight006
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven't read any science fiction for awhile but:
I really like Isaac Asimov
Ones I have read:

Some of the Foundation series
Robots of Dawn
Nemesis
I love C.S. Lewis' The Space Trilogy
read all three about 15 years ago
Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra
That Hideous Strength

Michael S. Heiser- The Façade. Great book

Robert Heinleim
Stranger in a Strange Land
Friday
Martian Chronicles(think that's the name of it)

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Arthur C Clark:
2001 a Space odyssey and it's sequel 2010(and the movies)
Isaac Asimov
Foundation series(not all of them)
Robots of Dawn
Nemesis
Michael S. Heiser-The Façade
C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy
Out of the silent Planet
Perelandra
That Hideous Strength
Childhoods end By Clark
Brave new World by Aldous Huxley
Robert Heinlein
Friday
Stranger in a Strange land

Upvote 0

Vincent Ivory

www.vincentivory.com
Oct 15, 2015
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read a boatload of fantasy in my time. But only recently started on some Sci-Fi. Now I know I am supposed to read the Dark Tower series, anything I can by Isaac Asimov, Orwell's 1984 but that's roughly what I have down so far.

Does anyone here have something newer to contribute with? Or old classics you find good for that matter. I read 6 books by David Weber in December and the first half of January. So anything not by him would be appreciated. (Idon't think he's that good anyway. He gets too predictable after a few books, don't you think?)

Upvote 0

Vincent Ivory

www.vincentivory.com
Oct 15, 2015
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You may want to check out my new book. It is not released yet but I believe you would enjoy it. Earned an excellent review from Kirkus Reviews. If you sign up at the website with your email I will be sure to contact you upon its soon release. All the best to you!!!!
Vincent

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I haven't read any science fiction for awhile but:
I really like Isaac Asimov
Ones I have read:

Some of the Foundation series
Robots of Dawn
Nemesis
I love C.S. Lewis' The Space Trilogy
read all three about 15 years ago
Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra
That Hideous Strength

Michael S. Heiser- The Façade. Great book

Robert Heinleim
Stranger in a Strange Land
Friday
Martian Chronicles(think that's the name of it)
The Martian Chronicles is by Ray Bradbury.

Which has me thinking of Death and the Senator by Clarke (I once got confused and thought it was by Heinlein). Also by Clarke are The Nine Billion Names of God and The Star. Short stories, the first is decidedly not Christian, e.g. a very different God is in charge, the second some Christians would consider even more disturbing. A bit of the Biblical story is confirmed, but is all confirmation good?

Upvote 0