St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If guns were treated like cars in the USA, with license requirements, registrations and taxes, you'd be a huge leap ahead in terms of regulation.
And perhaps a liability insurance requirement. Responsible owners who took training and stored their guns safely would pay much lower premiums, a powerful incentive. And neither ownership registration nor liability insurance would violate the Sacred Second Amendment.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And perhaps a liability insurance requirement. Responsible owners who took training and stored their guns safely would pay much lower premiums, a powerful incentive. And neither ownership registration nor liability insurance would violate the Sacred Second Amendment.
If I understand this issue gun owners are not against that automatically per say. However, they do fear that that is merely a foot in the door technique a bait and switch all the way up through outright confiscations.

so they are afraid of an official registry

How could licensing and a national registry. To be designed and implemented so as to. Not possibly admit. Confiscation?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If I understand this issue gun owners are not against that automatically per say. However, they do fear that that is merely a foot in the door technique a bait and switch all the way up through outright confiscations.

so they are afraid of an official registry

How could licensing and a national registry. To be designed and implemented so as to. Not possibly admit. Confiscation?
I was under the impression was that the ultimate justification for the right to keep and bear arms was as a check against government tyranny. "We need our guns to protect ourselves against the government but if the government knows we have them they will come and take them away and we won't be able to protect ourselves against the government" is a pretty sorry argument.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
because of fears it's just a pretext for and prelude to outright confiscations?
I'm sure that's why some people oppose it.

However if these are the same arms that are supposed to be used to overthrow the government why worry bout confiscations? Are they capable of overthrowing the government but not resisting confiscation because reasons?

Upvote 0