Self-Described Incel and Army Washout Arrested For Weapons, Plot to Kill Women at Ohio University

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
An Ohio man federal prosecutors say is an "incel" was charged in federal court this week with attempting a hate crime for his plot to kill women.

Tres Genco, 21, was arrested Wednesday and is also facing charges related to illegally possessing a machine gun, according to the Justice Department.

From August through December 2019, Genco lived in Georgia to attend Army basic training. He was later discharged for "entry-level performance and conduct," according to court documents.

Four days later, prosecutors said Genco started surveillance on a nearby unidentified Ohio university. That same day, he also did an online search for "planning a shooting crime" and "when does preparing for a crime become an attempt," prosecutors said.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Interesting. If I'm a straight white male who's thinking about murdering another straight white male out of hatred, is that a "hate crime"?
Yes, if you are “fueled by misandrist hatred”.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But not if it's just regular hatred?
On the off chance that you're not being deliberately obtuse, hate crimes are generally defined as crimes motivated by the victim's identity (gender, sexuality, race, religion, etc).

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
On the off chance that you're not being deliberately obtuse, hate crimes are generally defined as crimes motivated by the victim's identity (gender, sexuality, race, religion, etc).
Hey I'm just trying to get educated here. You never know, there might come a time in the future when it would be useful to know which kinds of hate are legal and which kinds are illegal.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey I'm just trying to get educated here. You never know, there might come a time in the future when it would be useful to know which kinds of hate are legal and which kinds are illegal.
In that case, I would suggest reading the relevant laws rather than asking a bunch of internet randos with no legal expertise.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In that case, I would suggest reading the relevant laws rather than asking a bunch of internet randos with no legal expertise.
Good idea. In the meantime I'll just continue to only commit love crimes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. If I'm a straight white male who's thinking about murdering another straight white male out of hatred, is that a "hate crime"?

You can't hate a white person...not enough emotional capital.

You can dislike a white person, but since they Iack emotional capital....you can't hate them.
Yes, if you are “fueled by misandrist hatred”.

I don't think we should try to punish people for thinking.

Thinking about something is a crime?

• Agree
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You can't hate a white person...not enough emotional capital.

You can dislike a white person, but since they Iack emotional capital....you can't hate them.

Well that's just plain incorrect.

Thinking about something, no. If those thoughts fuel you to act in an illegal manner upon them? Yes, they would be considered.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
From August through December 2019, Genco lived in Georgia to attend Army basic training. He was later discharged for "entry-level performance and conduct," according to court documents.
Isnt basic training supposed to be entry level?

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Of course not!

This was no thought crime. My reading of the cited NPR article leads me to think this man was doing a bit more than thinking - amounting to a plausible risk to life. There must come a point when police action is necessary. It is a judgment, I suppose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well that's not good. I need protection. I'm going to write my congressman and urge him to draft legislation protecting me from "dislike crime". And just to be on the safe side I'm going to seek harsher penalties for "indifference crime", you know, when you kill someone you don't really have emotional feelings about one way or the other. And then maybe I'll think of some other stuff. I will not stop until I fix humans.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
People acting like state of mind has never been a consideration in the seriousness of a criminal charge.
Apart from inchoate offenses, I don't think it ever has been. State of mind can be a factor when a convicted person is being sentenced, but I don't think it was ever an element of the charge. I'm no lawyer, I could be wrong, but I can't think of any examples.

Plus, I'm uncomfortable with the idea that killing one human is more "serious" than killing another human. I'm egalitarian that way.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Apart from inchoate offenses, I don't think it ever has been. State of mind can be a factor when a convicted person is being sentenced, but I don't think it was ever an element of the charge. I'm no lawyer, I could be wrong, but I can't think of any examples.
I dont think so. Typically the jury pronounces the name of the crime when they declare guilty or not, right? "... Guilty of murder in the second degree". Thats prior to sentencing. At least that what I learned from tv courtroom dramas which surely would alway be legally realistic. Either way, at some stage in the legal process state of mind comes into play for determining consequences of guilt for murder.
Plus, I'm uncomfortable with the idea that killing one human is more "serious" than killing another human. I'm egalitarian that way.
Im fine with it. Or else we couldnt even legally distinguish accident or negligence from intentional murder.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
People acting like state of mind has never been a consideration in the seriousness of a criminal charge.
It might even be a defense if his attorneys can show that he was motivated by delusional beliefs.

Upvote 0