DeSantis vetoes funds for Tampa Bay Rays practice facility after team tweets on gun control

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Ron DeSantis vetoes $35M Tampa Bay Rays baseball complex after team’s gun control tweet: report
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis vetoed $35 million in government spending for a new practice facility for the Tampa Bay Rays after the baseball team posted a tweet in support of gun control, according to a report.

The move comes just weeks after the GOP governor — and rumored 2024 presidential hopeful — stripped Disney of its self-governing status after the Mouse House came out in opposition to a new law banning explicit sex and gender education for young children.

ln the most recent skirmish, DeSantis penalized the Tampa franchise after a tweet from the team’s official Twitter account took a swing at the nation’s gun laws following the mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Texas, according to the news site OutKick.

--

Rays pitcher Brooks Raley is from Uvalde, a town of just 16,000, where 19 elementary school students and two teachers were killed by an 18-year-old gunman.

[OP note: as far as I know there is no explicit connection between DeSantis' veto and the gun control tweet other than being 'after' as the headline notes. But it was expected to pass, was supported by GOP lawmakers, and it's in a red part of the state. But, if it's good enough for the NY Post, it's good en... good enough for the NY Post.]

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Petty politicians prevent private proclamations. Sounds like DeSantis is once again trying to discourage practicing our first amendment rights when it doesn't comport with his own agenda.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have opposed public funding of billionaires sports areas for some time now, I’m ok with the right thing being done for the wrong reason.

Until he does the wrong thing for the same reason, and punishes you if you dare criticize it.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Petty politicians prevent private proclamations. Sounds like DeSantis is once again trying to discourage practicing our first amendment rights when it doesn't comport with his own agenda.
He said they would not fund it not that it could not be done.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ron DeSantis vetoes $35M Tampa Bay Rays baseball complex after team’s gun control tweet: report
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis vetoed $35 million in government spending for a new practice facility for the Tampa Bay Rays after the baseball team posted a tweet in support of gun control, according to a report.

The move comes just weeks after the GOP governor — and rumored 2024 presidential hopeful — stripped Disney of its self-governing status after the Mouse House came out in opposition to a new law banning explicit sex and gender education for young children.

ln the most recent skirmish, DeSantis penalized the Tampa franchise after a tweet from the team’s official Twitter account took a swing at the nation’s gun laws following the mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Texas, according to the news site OutKick.

--

Rays pitcher Brooks Raley is from Uvalde, a town of just 16,000, where 19 elementary school students and two teachers were killed by an 18-year-old gunman.

[OP note: as far as I know there is no explicit connection between DeSantis' veto and the gun control tweet other than being 'after' as the headline notes. But it was expected to pass, was supported by GOP lawmakers, and it's in a red part of the state. But, if it's good enough for the NY Post, it's good en... good enough for the NY Post.]
They already have a huge stadium for spring training in Charlotte County south of Tampa.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Until he does the wrong thing for the same reason, and punishes you if you dare criticize it.
Still can’t bring myself to want public money given to the ultra wealthy to subsidize their sports teams. It’s transparent capriciousness but they still should not have gotten the funding anyway.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Still can’t bring myself to want public money given to the ultra wealthy to subsidize their sports teams. It’s transparent capriciousness but they still should not have gotten the funding anyway.
You have a good point. Asking taxpayers to pay for professional facilities and then gouging us with prices for tickets and amenities to increase their own profits seems a bit much to ask. If I could believe that was DeSantis's true motivation, to actually save CITIZENS some money I may agree with his denial of funding. His political record belies that notion unfortunately.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have opposed public funding of billionaires sports areas for some time now, I’m ok with the right thing being done for the wrong reason.
If it is retaliation for free speech then its not just the wrong reason, but an unconstitutional reason.

In general tho, I'm not for govt giving handouts or special tax breaks to specific businesses.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So he would only fund projects when benefactors agree with him.

Isn't there a name for that?

In Florida, I think the name is "politics as usual."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums