✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
caley said:
Don't forget to mention that 3 out 4 of U2's member's are Christian.
Would someone please post their testimonies about their conversion?
Please correct me if I am wrong but in a live interview Bono had to be "BLEEPED" every few words due to foul language. Is this what passes for being a "Christian" these days?:eek:

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
prince didymus said:
Oh my eyes are definitely open I just don't see the sense in quickly identifying the number 666 and then saying whatever it is represents or credits satan.

If I find a room with the number 666 I don't think I would conclude that a satanist or even the devil himself lives in there.....
Neither would I, however I would be cautious. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Chi_Cygni

Nov 10, 2003
From parts unknown
✟1,221.00
Faith
Anglican
ICXC_NIKA said:
I could be wrong and the number 46664 could have no connection with the number of the beast.
But don't you see that our boat is sinking ? In many advertisements they tell about
the "New era" , "New age" etc. And the leader of the new age is the antichrist.
Also if you had a little knowledge about what symbols are being used by companies , advertisements etc. you would see how often the hidden number 666 is being used.

Just look at your old dollar bill and there you will find a masonic pyramid , the eye of horus which represents lucifer and many other things.

Remember the world is being governed by crazy people.
I guess people before Hitler did not want to believe what would happen in a few years where hundreds of millions of people died.
The same thing is happenning now.
I wish that all of you who are skeptical would be right but i am afraid
that the reality is different.

I have hope though in Christ and that God will save us.
I just write all this stuff so that we are not being held as fools that will consume all their sinister propaganda.
The only propaganda I see on here is your ravings that are bordering upon lunacy.

'666' appearing in company logos - LOL

Please - get a life, you've got to have better things to worry about.

New Age = AntiChrist

Please - it's just a phrase.

The 'eye of horus' is only a satanic symbol in the minds of the deluded.

Historical note: 'hundreds of millions' did not die as a result of Hitler. Please get some facts straight.

Upvote 0

Axver

Dreaming on a railway track
Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟3,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
Palatka44 said:
Would someone please post their testimonies about their conversion?
Please correct me if I am wrong but in a live interview Bono had to be "BLEEPED" every few words due to foul language. Is this what passes for being a "Christian" these days?:eek:
So someone has to actually have their testimony in the public domain to be considered a Christian now? Right, then I'm not a Christian and neither are my closest friends. One of my favourite Bono quotes is that religion and faith are a personal thing, what he believes is for him alone and he's not going to get up on stage and say "you should believe this." He's said that U2's music is basically their way of drawing their fish in the sand: it's there for those who want to see it, it's not for those who don't.

As a matter of clarification, the three professing Christians are Bono, The Edge, and Larry Mullen Junior, and considering he's been in a band with them most of his life and they're his closest friend, you'd think Adam Clayton's been influenced by the others and has faith of some sort himself.

Swearing is not a sin. Please get your facts right. Bono has sworn publicly (for example, on winning a Grammy, "this is really, really, f-ing brilliant" and in the lyrics of Wake Up Dead Man: "Jesus/Jesus help me/I'm alone in this world/And a f-ed up world it is too"), but hardly at a rate of being bleeped every few words.

All you need to do to see U2's faith - or at least Bono's - is to read their lyrics. Bono's often said that his entire personality is in his lyrics, and he's written most of U2's songs (the others are by The Edge, apart from The Ground Beneath Her Feet which was written by Salman Rushdie). Some good examples are Gloria, Fire, Tomorrow, With A Shout (Jerusalem), Drowning Man, 40, Pride (In The Name Of Love), With Or Without You (my opinion is that this is God's view on the world, though some have purely secular interpretatins of it), I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, When Love Comes To Town (wonderful song about redemption), Until The End Of The World, Mysterious Ways, Acrobat (a popular interpretation is this is on the nature of sin), The Wanderer, Gone, Wake Up Dead Man, Beautiful Day, and Grace.

Upvote 0

Axver

Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟3,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
Wow, going a bit far now aren't we?

One thing I forgot to reply to ...

Pray4Isrel said:
The orphanage that I visited in the slums of Nairobi had over 700 children ALL of which had AIDS. This orphanage had no plumbing, no heat... The children slept on thin mats (four children to a mat), the roof had holes in it where rain would come through and drip on the mats, there was NO electricity, they had very little food.
Sadly, places like these are common. Next summer we will be returning to install electricity, fix the roof and install plumbing.
So tell me... everyone here who applauds a concert's efforts... shouldn't these musicians/celebrities spend their time helping the people by getting out there and making a difference?
See this link and click on Kenya to see the orphanage as well as the clinic we built for the Luo Tribe in Sirinde:
http://www.msnusers.com/ErinsMissionsPics
If someone as miniscule as myself can devote a month in Africa to build a medical clinic... why don't these celebrities?
I wonder: have you ever read anything about the time Bono has spent in Africa? He's spent months at a time (notably in 1986 with his wife and sometime a few years ago, I'm not sure who with or exactly when) in Africa, particularly Ethiopia, working with AIDS victims, orphans, those struck down by malnutrition from drought, et cetera. Along with his faith, his experiences in Africa have inspired his fervent charity work. Portions of the lyrics of Where The Streets Have No Name (some believe the entire song; I don't) were inspired by Ethiopia (i.e. "I'll show you a place/High on desert plane/Where the streets have no name").

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So someone has to actually have their testimony in the public domain to be considered a Christian now? Right, then I'm not a Christian and neither are my closest friends. One of my favourite Bono quotes is that religion and faith are a personal thing, what he believes is for him alone and he's not going to get up on stage and say "you should believe this." He's said that U2's music is basically their way of drawing their fish in the sand: it's there for those who want to see it, it's not for those who don't.
As a matter of clarification, the three professing Christians are Bono, The Edge, and Larry Mullen Junior, and considering he's been in a band with them most of his life and they're his closest friend, you'd think Adam Clayton's been influenced by the others and has faith of some sort himself.
Do you not think that if you claim Christianity that you should be Christ like?

Swearing is not a sin..
Jesus said this.
Matthew 5:34-37
34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

And this is what Paul had to say.
1 Timothy 6:20-21
20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

2 Timothy 2:16-18
16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

Profane language is a clear sign of the condition of the heart.
Matthew 15:18-20
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

There it is then. If you espouse a "Christ-like" life even your words should show it. Bono is not exempt nor am I and neither are you.

Upvote 0

Neenie

Veteran
Dec 8, 2003
✟2,137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well I went to a U2 concert about 2 years ago and they were quoting scripture at the start of one their songs but I can’t remember which one it was. But they are much more Christian than other mainstream artists out there. I would not consider them to be saints, Yes they sin sometimes but who doesn’t?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Axver

Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟3,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
Janine;

1. You went to an Elevation tour concert? Oh my, I am the envious one. Lucky you. I've never seen U2 live ... though I plan to rectify that situation when they begin their tour next year!

2. The song you are talking about would be Where The Streets Have No Name. Bono routinely quoted the Message Bible translation of Psalm 116 at the start.

I wish I'd been at the 23-09-1997 Sarajevo concert. I have a recording of that, and Bono prays so much during that. I've heard U2's live performances described as a spiritual experience by all people from pastors to atheists, and Sarajevo would've topped the lot.

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Janine said:
Well I went to a U2 concert about 2 years ago and they were quoting scripture at the start of one their songs but I can’t remember which one it was. But they are much more Christian than other mainstream artists out there. I would not consider them to be saints, Yes they sin sometimes but who doesn’t?
Being Christian is to be Christ-like now if we say that we are then I exort you to live it and by all means talk it.
1 John 1:5-7
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Axver, you are star struck turn your eyes off that which is fallen and open them to God's Holy Word.

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Chi_Cygni said:
Palatka44,

maybe you are blinded by Biblicalism and fundamentalism.

Leave Janine alone. There is nothing wrong with U2.
Whats wrong with living like Christ? To do so is to do as the Bible says. It is quite apparent that most people these days do not use the Bible as their guide to life. If you are not following the Bible then please refrain from the self indenity of "Christian". Maybe that of "Bonite" or "U2too" fits you better. ;)
BTW my reply was directed at Axver, Janine's post just got in the way. :sigh:

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I saw U2 once.

They were OK, but their show never really got off the ground musically, IMO. The "studio magic" covers for their lack of any real technical ability on their albums, which makes them listenable, but as a live band they leave plenty to be desired.

I'm happy that they choose to be so "cause focused", but all the philanthropy in the world can't make you a better musician.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jbarcher

ANE Social Science Researcher
Aug 25, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,136.00
Faith
Christian
I'm with Palatka here. But if you indeed do not value the Bible as the Word of God, then perhaps us "fundamentalists" cannot change your mind about anything at all.

By the way...it would be good to define "fundamental", because I find that there are many different views of what this word means in relation to Christians. Er, the family in particular.

I consider myself a Biblical fundamentalist. Whatever that means. The Bible says no premarital sex. So no premarital sex for me. Et cetera. Note that I value the context and an honest exegesis. Well, I haven't read all of the Bible yet, but I'll get around to doing so soon. Humility is the way to go.

Upvote 0

Chi_Cygni

Nov 10, 2003
From parts unknown
✟1,221.00
Faith
Anglican
At least I can spell 'identity'.

The Bible does not equal Christianity in total.

Perhaps if a few more Bible cultists started acting Christian rather than spewing scripture ad nauseum the world would be a better place.

You seem a little judgemental about people you don't know. Of course 'fundies' never let that stop them and spreading their brand of nonsense supposedly rooted in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Axver said:
If you want to get into a swearing debate, then I highly recommend you read this article of mine: http://www.livejournal.com/users/axver/66786.html
Your diatribe on cursing does not make it right Axver. While some verses deal with uncommited vows there are many that deal with vain and profane words.
Christians backup their reasoning with scripture and here again are more verses.

James 1:26,27
26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

James 3:2-6,8-12
2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

A person that speaks with vile language is not wise.
James 3:13-18
13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

.Again the Word has said foul language is sin. (it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison):eek:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.