Salvation and Obedience: Can you have one without the other?

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟40,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is obedience to God tied to salvation? In 1 Peter 1 I read, Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation.

Jesus asked, "why do you call me Lord, Lord and do not the things that I say?" So it appears that obedience is indeed tied to salvation but in what way? Those who are saved will be obedient ones, certainly the disobedient will not inherit the Kingdom of God. (1 Cor 6:9-10)

Yet none of us are perfectly obedient and if we claim we are, then we are being disobedient by doing so. I mistakenly thought that obedience was the way to salvation but it has turned out to be the result of salvation in my case. God saved me in Jesus Christ making me perfect forever before God even while I am being made Holy. (Heb 10:14)

Jesus taught that good comes from a good heart and evil from an evil heart. So I have figured that you can't make you heart good by doing good. No, it must be good in order to do good, so how does it become good? By being made good and that is Salvation. It is made good over time but counted good the moment we submit to God's will for our lives.

What practical advice can you share as to how you share as to how you increase your obedience to our Savior?

Reactions: dms1972

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is obedience to God tied to salvation? In 1 Peter 1 I read, Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation.

Jesus asked, "why do you call me Lord, Lord and do not the things that I say?" So it appears that obedience is indeed tied to salvation but in what way? Those who are saved will be obedient ones, certainly the disobedient will not inherit the Kingdom of God. (1 Cor 6:9-10)

Yet none of us are perfectly obedient and if we claim we are, then we are being disobedient by doing so. I mistakenly thought that obedience was the way to salvation but it has turned out to be the result of salvation in my case. God saved me in Jesus Christ making me perfect forever before God even while I am being made Holy. (Heb 10:14)

Jesus taught that good comes from a good heart and evil from an evil heart. So I have figured that you can't make you heart good by doing good. No, it must be good in order to do good, so how does it become good? By being made good and that is Salvation. It is made good over time but counted good the moment we submit to God's will for our lives.

What practical advice can you share as to how you share as to how you increase your obedience to our Savior?
Correct! Obedience is the result of our conversion. He makes His Home in the believer through His Holy Spirit. His Comforter guilds us to all repentance which translates into righteousness. Put on the full armour of God and walk with His Holy Spirit daily. He will not deny anyone who loves Him. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟40,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-​

What type of salvation are you speaking of Eternal Life salvation (when a unbeliever becomes a believer a born again child of God) or a physical salvation from death or harm to ones physical life.
Eternal salvation. PTL!

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Eternal salvation. PTL!

There is only one act of obedience needed to received God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation That is to obey God's one requirement to receive Eternal Life salvation and that is to believe in Jesus the promised Messiah, God's only begotten Son. To believe in Jesus is to believe Jesus is the resurrection and the life.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is only one act of obedience needed to received God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation That is to obey God's one requirement to receive Eternal Life salvation and that is to believe in Jesus the promised Messiah, God's only begotten Son. To believe in Jesus is to believe Jesus is the resurrection and the life.

I agree with you. I thought about these things before and I concluded that Eternal Salvation is free, but what we really seem to be talking about it is, rank in Heaven?

We know that to whom more is given, more will be required of him. And all through acripture we see refrences to rank in heaven. Different types of Angels, Cherubim, Guardians, Arch, Messengers and even more. Plus the same info is given about the enemy.

We wrestles not agains flesh and blood but against Principalities, Powers, Rulers, Evil Spirits, Demons and so forth. So it stands to reason that of all the people who will be saved, many will be more disobediant than others, so the reward will be appropriate for each.

In practical terms what does that mean? Well, the big time souls of Christianity will be getting mansions or rooms in the Fathers house, right? Maybe still others will have a small cabin on the outskirts because of their disobedience?

It does say, Build up your treasures in Heaven. Some may not kmow how to do this! It is done through the righteous acts of the Saints. Good deeds in other words.

It's better to build up your treasures in heaven while you are alive on the earth, I suspect that good deeds (Obedience) is graded on a sliding scale on earth, because of all of the demonic oppression that we are all under? People who pass on and go to be with the Lord may still be being fruitful for the Kingdom of God in Heaven, but it probably isn't graded with as much credit from there than from if it was done on earth? Speculation but makes sense to me.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while we do not earn our salvation as a wage as the result of obey it, living in obedience to it through faith in Jesus is intrinsically the content of God's gift of saving us from not living in obedience to it. In Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so it is neither the case that our salvation is the result of having been obedient nor is our obedience the result of having been saved, but rather God graciously teaching us to experience being obedient is itself the content of His gift of saving us from not being obedient.

The content of a gift can itself be the experience of doing something, such as giving someone the gift of driving a Ferrari for an our, where the gift of the experience requires them to do the work of driving it, but where them doing that work does nothing to earn that gift. In a similar manner, the content of God's gift of eternal life is the experience of knowing Him and Jesus (John 17:3) and the gift of His law is His instructions for how to have that experience. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he might know Him and Israel too, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law (Roman 10:2-4), which is the experience of eternal life.

Reactions: Mercy Shown
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you. I thought about these things before and I concluded that Eternal Salvation is free, but what we really seem to be talking about it is, rank in Heaven?

We know that to whom more is given, more will be required of him. And all through acripture we see refrences to rank in heaven. Different types of Angels, Cherubim, Guardians, Arch, Messengers and even more. Plus the same info is given about the enemy.

We wrestles not agains flesh and blood but against Principalities, Powers, Rulers, Evil Spirits, Demons and so forth. So it stands to reason that of all the people who will be saved, many will be more disobediant than others, so the reward will be appropriate for each.

In practical terms what does that mean? Well, the big time souls of Christianity will be getting mansions or rooms in the Fathers house, right? Maybe still others will have a small cabin on the outskirts because of their disobedience?

It does say, Build up your treasures in Heaven. Some may not kmow how to do this! It is done through the righteous acts of the Saints. Good deeds in other words.

It's better to build up your treasures in heaven while you are alive on the earth, I suspect that good deeds (Obedience) is graded on a sliding scale on earth, because of all of the demonic oppression that we are all under? People who pass on and go to be with the Lord may still be being fruitful for the Kingdom of God in Heaven, but it probably isn't graded with as much credit from there than from if it was done on earth? Speculation but makes sense to me.
-​
Yes obedience is a part of a believer and their loss or gain of eternal rewards. But i asked the poster and they replied Eternal Life salvation

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hmm so when does this kick in? Well when He found us... we just loved Him and stop sinning and then obeyed Him? See the 12 had been with Christ for years.. walking sleeping day and night then Christ said "if you love me keep my words". Where at the start when He sent them out they came back overjoyed how demons have to answer to them yet Christ said what? Don't rejoice demons are subject unto you but that your names ARE written in heaven. What does John 3:16-17 say or Rom 10:9-10

Sorry we do not earn our salvation its a gift and millions are saved and do not know Him nor love Him for He said anyone everyone that calls on the name of the lord shall be saved. Going back to the thief on the cross no love no obeying.. just said remember me when you come into your kingdom.

So many believers are still blinded by this world. Using this world to then explain, describe God or His ways on and on. Salvation is a free gift there is no but or ifs no ties that go with it so we here know nothing is free and we must do something to get it. This will never work with the great I am for He alone will get the glory no man will glory in His site as it is written. Sorry this is something you/we will have to just take and bow and thank Him then when we see Him we lay at His feet everything for it was HIM and HIM alone we did anything good.

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,455.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God" Ephesians 2:8
"You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone" James 2:24
"We are saved by faith and grace alone, but we will be judged by works." John Macarther
So, what we do in life is a reflection of our heart. Many people say that they believe, but then choose to live in contrary to what God wants. So, true belief is substantiated in action. How we live will show what is in our heart. If you love Him, you will obey.
In saying this, there are many who profess to believe but it is only a profession of the lips, and they fool themselves into thinking that they are saved just by admitting that Jesus is real and then going to church. But even the devil believes in Jesus.
So, we are to obey Christ in how we live.
Now, in the modern church, many fall short here. Jesus said in Mark 16:15, "Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to all creation." He also said in John 14:21, "Those that have my commandments and keeps them, is the one that loves me." So, if we truly love Him, we will obey and we will share the Gospel to as many people as possible. The question then becomes, "How much does one really love God if he does not choose to share the Gospel with as many people as possible." If you truly love Him, you will do as he says.
Also, the 2 greatest commandments are first to love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul and mind. The second greatest commandment is to love your neighbour as you love yourself. And so, if you truly love Him, you will obey what he has commanded. To go and share the Gospel to as many people as possible. If you chose not to share with your neighbour, how loving is that. Do you truly love your neighbour if choose not to warn Him of the impending condemnation?
So, if we know we are to share the Gospel, and we do not do it, are we guilty? Is it wrong not to share the Gospel? I believe James 4:17 has the answer. "If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them."
I believe a true believer will have works with their belief. These works are not a result of trying to earn their way into heaven. They are a result of loving God and also loving your neighbour.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is more. . .it is to believe in and trust on the person and atoning work (blood, Ro 3:25) of Jesus Christ for the remission of one's sin and right standing with God's justice (justified; i.e., declared "not guilty).

However, true faith obeys. . .so that if there is no obedience, then there was no true faith, there was only the counterfeit faith of the tares, which does not save. . .for one was never saved in the first place (Mt 7:21-23).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It is more. . .it is to believe in and trust on the person and atoning work (blood, Ro 3:25) of Jesus Christ for the remission of one's sin and right standing with God's justice (justified; i.e., declared "not guilty).

However, true faith obeys. . .so that if there is no obedience, then there was no true faith, there was only the counterfeit faith of the tares, which does not save. . .for one was never saved in the first place (Mt 7:21-23).

I have had this Romans discussion before with you, all i can say is, i do not can to have it again.

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟40,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm so when does this kick in? Well when He found us... we just loved Him and stop sinning and then obeyed Him? See the 12 had been with Christ for years.. walking sleeping day and night then Christ said "if you love me keep my words". Where at the start when He sent them out they came back overjoyed how demons have to answer to them yet Christ said what? Don't rejoice demons are subject unto you but that your names ARE written in heaven. What does John 3:16-17 say or Rom 10:9-10

Sorry we do not earn our salvation its a gift and millions are saved and do not know Him nor love Him for He said anyone everyone that calls on the name of the lord shall be saved. Going back to the thief on the cross no love no obeying.. just said remember me when you come into your kingdom.

So many believers are still blinded by this world. Using this world to then explain, describe God or His ways on and on. Salvation is a free gift there is no but or ifs no ties that go with it so we here know nothing is free and we must do something to get it. This will never work with the great I am for He alone will get the glory no man will glory in His site as it is written. Sorry this is something you/we will have to just take and bow and thank Him then when we see Him we lay at His feet everything for it was HIM and HIM alone we did anything good.
Yes, it is a free gift that changes a person. It is a seed that brings forth fruit. We don't deserve it, we don't work to earn it but as we receive it it changes us and sometimes that change is painful. For Peter it nearly killed him when He realized that He had denied and cursed his Lord just a few hours after pledging undying fealty and claimed to love him more than all the other disciples.

But this utter failure prepared him to to feed Christ sheep and become a leader in the Church. There is no fellowship of light with darkness, one or the other will have mastery of our souls. By abiding and beholding we become changed.

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟40,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while we do not earn our salvation as a wage as the result of obey it, living in obedience to it through faith in Jesus is intrinsically the content of God's gift of saving us from not living in obedience to it. In Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so it is neither the case that our salvation is the result of having been obedient nor is our obedience the result of having been saved, but rather God graciously teaching us to experience being obedient is itself the content of His gift of saving us from not being obedient.

The content of a gift can itself be the experience of doing something, such as giving someone the gift of driving a Ferrari for an our, where the gift of the experience requires them to do the work of driving it, but where them doing that work does nothing to earn that gift. In a similar manner, the content of God's gift of eternal life is the experience of knowing Him and Jesus (John 17:3) and the gift of His law is His instructions for how to have that experience. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he might know Him and Israel too, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law (Roman 10:2-4), which is the experience of eternal life.
Yes, He saves us from sin and not in sin.

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟40,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, believe in, rely on, adhere to and submit to. We call him "Lord, Lord" because we do the things He says not to be saved but because He saved us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yes, believe in, rely on, adhere to and submit to. We call him "Lord, Lord" because we do the things He says not to be saved but because He saved us.

When the Bible is addressing receving God's free gift of Eternal Life, The Bible uses believe in.

Upvote 0

Dah'veed

Jan 23, 2023
Zion
✟26,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Is obedience to God tied to salvation? In 1 Peter 1 I read, Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance.
Therefore do not waver, endure in the faith so that you may receive the promise. The one who is in a right standing will live by trusting in Me. Heb 10:35-38 Hab 2:3-4

When I come back to life you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. John 14:18-20

The life was revealed to us—that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, so that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. 1 John 1:2-3

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟40,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the Bible is addressing receving God's free gift of Eternal Life, The Bible uses believe in.
Jesus used the simple πιστεύειν emphatically, to refer to those who acknowledge Him as the savior and devote themselves to him. (See John 11:26) Yes believe in him not just about him.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Dah'veed

Jan 23, 2023
Zion
✟26,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus used the simple πιστεύειν emphatically, to refer to those who acknowledge Him as the savior and devote themselves to him. (See John 11:26) Yes believe in him not just about him.
As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving. Col 2:6-7
For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light; Eph 5:6-8

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

You keep adding a notion of work (by using words like submit, devote) and not just faith in Jesus. But The Bible states one who believes in Jesus receives God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Because there were some believers in Jesus time on earth who believe in Jesus and became born again children of God. But they would not confess being believers in Jesus.

Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Upvote 0