Mar 23, 2011
✟15,189.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I am a Messianic believer. I prefer keeping the traditional Sabbath, Friday night at sundown through Saturday night at sundown.

Shabbat Services can be Friday night or Saturday morning. I was brought up with saturday morning.

The Sunday worship began sometime after 135 A.D., the change originated in Rome, not Jerusalem. Some historians take it to Constantine's decree on March 7th, 321 A.D., when he declared Sunday to be the day of rest (Sabbath).

The one fact is this, Jesus/Yeshua NEVER changed the Sabbath...He never "said" to change it to the day of his ressurection.

Jesus/Yeshua did say to Keep the Sabbath and keep it Holy. He was speaking of the Sabbath HE was keeping...which was Friday night at sundown through Saturday night at sundown.

What He thinks about Sunday "Sabbath" I truly do not know...where does His grace lay in this change? I personally have no answer.

What I do know is that I believe the original Sabbath day is what was intended.

Human beings changed that.
Blessings

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would suggest a study of the freedom we have in Christ. The entire 2nd chapter of Colossians speaks to that, in particular:

Therefore, don’t let anyone judge you in regard to food and drink or in the matter of a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day.
These are a shadow of what was to come; the substance is the Messiah. -Col 2:16-17​

Also, Hebrews chapter 4 spiritualizes the Sabbath rest we have in Christ. Galatians is a great book about our freedom in Christ.

Upvote 0

sedg

Jul 4, 2006
Tyler,Tx
Visit site
✟8,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would suggest a study of the freedom we have in Christ. The entire 2nd chapter of Colossians speaks to that, in particular:
Therefore, don’t let anyone judge you in regard to food and drink or in the matter of a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day.
These are a shadow of what was to come; the substance is the Messiah. -Col 2:16-17
Also, Hebrews chapter 4 spiritualizes the Sabbath rest we have in Christ. Galatians is a great book about our freedom in Christ.

:thumbsup:

Alot of Sabbatarians actually dishonor God by worshipping a day instead of Christ Jesus. On top of that, they don't actually "keep the sabbath" as Levittical law demanded ancient Israel, the only worship God on Saturday (which is fine and dandy but not for a requirement for salvation).

For instance, just by flipping on a light switch they have broke the Sabbath by creating a fire, and making other people work for them to provide electicity...this alone demands a penalty of death.

I'll put my faith in the attonement provided by the sacrafice if Lord Jesus and cease from my own works for salvation as Hebrews 4 teaches, thank you very much!

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The Sunday worship began sometime after 135 A.D., the change originated in Rome, not Jerusalem. Some historians take it to Constantine's decree on March 7th, 321 A.D., when he declared Sunday to be the day of rest (Sabbath).

That is 100% true as I discovered when I did an indepth study of the subject. The majority of authors that I read said the same thing.

That being the case, you don't change something that is already happening so it becomes clear that the NT church did not meet on Sunday, otherwise Constantine would not have needed to change it.

Another point is, originally "The Way" as they were known then were a sect of Judaism. They did not stop being Jews because they acknowledged Christ as the Messiah. They continued attending the synagogue as it says in Acts, on Saturday.

Bearing in mind that Sunday was a normal working day for a Jew, meeting on Sunday morning was not possible. However, it does say that they met from house to house daily for meals, fellowship etc.

This fact puts the mockers on the Sunday morning meeting as it has no scriptural precedence at all. The only way you can justify it is reading into scripture what is not there.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

When one discusses the sabbath day, it is not relevant to discuss the sabbath rest in Hebrews as they are two different things.

THe sabbath day is for the Lord, the sabbath rest is for the believer. On the sabbath day we as the body of Christ gather together corporately to give glory to God. In the sabbath rest, God provides for us so that we can cease from our striving and rest in his provision. That is a continous daily experience to benefit us.

The sabbath day is from us to Him.The sabbath rest is from Him to us.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Alot of Sabbatarians actually dishonor God by worshipping a day instead of Christ Jesus. On top of that, they don't actually "keep the sabbath" as Levittical law demanded ancient Israel, the only worship God on Saturday (which is fine and dandy but not for a requirement for salvation).

You will have to forgive me but I don't see the relevance of this comment. As I understand it, the words and ways of God are not subject to what we do or do not do and therefore should not be judged according to an individuals actions.

Saying that an individual does this or that does not invalidate the Word of God. The only things that are conditional are the promises of God as in "if you do this, I will do that." An example is "If my people who are called by my name....then I will heal the land."

One other point. I don't think you wll find many who worship on the Saturday sabbath say that it is a requirement of salvaton.

Upvote 0

bio_student

Mar 30, 2011
✟7,643.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I keep a traditional Sunday for my Sabbath. I go to church, commune with fellow believers, worship God together. I do other things on my Sabbath day but it is, I think, the most fruitful day of the week for me because the the morning's events keep me focused on the Spirit for the rest of the day.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
One thing I would like to point out for your consideration is the 10 commandments. Are they relevant for today?

Do we ignore the injunction not to murder or is it OK to do so?

Is it OK to keep some of them but not others?

If we pick and choose then we have to say that it is OK to murder if we choose not to pick that one.

If it is not OK to pick and choose, then it means all 10 are still valid, including "Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy."

I believe that the NT church did not pick and choose so they adhered to the Saturday sabbath. If the bible is our guide for faith and practice as nearly all evangelical denominations claim, then we should keep the Saturday sabbath.

If we don't, then it is a case that the bible is our guide as long as it doesn't interfere with our traditions.

Think on these things.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I keep a traditional Sunday for my Sabbath. I go to church, commune with fellow believers, worship God together. I do other things on my Sabbath day but it is, I think, the most fruitful day of the week for me because the the morning's events keep me focused on the Spirit for the rest of the day.

You wll have to forgive my naughtiness here, but I could not help notice that the writer keeps a traditional Sunday sabbath. Not a scriptural one but a traditional one.

Begs the question doesn't it. What has more authority, tradition or scripture?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

These are a shadow of what was to come; the substance is the Messiah. -Col 2:16-17

I would like to suggest that the study is done in the context of the letter. This letter deals with doctrinal heresy that possibly mixed Judaism with some early form of Gnosticism. Jesus was super human but not truly God. He was greater than humans but not great enough to be the Saviour. We are required to go through angels to get to deeper levels of spirituality.

The writer of the letter set out to show the futility of these ideas. As to the two verses referred to above, it is important to note that he said people were not to judge you on the basis of several things, one of which is the sabbath.

It does not say. do not keep the sabbath. It says that we are not to be judged by our sabbath keeping as measure of our spirituality. Bearing in mind that the church knew nothing of a sunday sabbath when this was wrtten, it was not making comparisons between Saturday and Sunday.

In a lot of churches today, you are judged by how many times you attend Sunday morning services. My wife was told last year she could not be involved in active ministry because she did not attend enough services on Sunday morning.

The fact that she was the oldest christian there and had been involved in more ministry than all the leadership put together did not count.

In essence our freedom in Christ is not to be judged by the outward, so meeting on saturday is not the criteria for your freedom, neither is meeting on Sunday, which the NT church did not do.

The bottom line is verse 20. If we have died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why do we subject ourselves to regulations (it sets them out) and says they are the commandments and doctrine of men. They have an appearance of wisdom in self imposed religion, but are of no value.

No one is gong to tell me that the writer was saying that sabbath keeping was a commandment and doctrine of man as it is one of the 10 commandments given by God to Moses.

In this passage the day is not under question. How and why you keep it was and that determined your freedom n Christ.

Upvote 0

bio_student

Mar 30, 2011
✟7,643.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You wll have to forgive my naughtiness here, but I could not help notice that the writer keeps a traditional Sunday sabbath. Not a scriptural one but a traditional one.

Begs the question doesn't it. What has more authority, tradition or scripture?

Yes, I thought that might get a comment. It's okay - I wasn't sure if I should say much or little. Yes, I keep a traditional Sunday Sabbath for tradition's sake. We are washed in Christ's blood and cleansed by the Spirit - as a previous poster noted, Paul explained to Gentile believers that the traditions are not necessary for our salvation or relationship with the Spirit. In answer to your question, then, the Scripture definitely has more authority.

Upvote 0

heweeps

Apr 14, 2011
✟15,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As far as I can tell, the sabbath day is Saturday and that has always been the 7 day. But I sure don't trust men to have it correct. We try to maintain the 7th day as our sabbath day but work often interferes. I have read in some of the witings that many believer did their church services before sundown Saturdy night and into after sundown. Covering all the bases I guess.

keith

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
As far as I can tell, the sabbath day is Saturday and that has always been the 7 day. But I sure don't trust men to have it correct. We try to maintain the 7th day as our sabbath day but work often interferes. I have read in some of the witings that many believer did their church services before sundown Saturdy night and into after sundown. Covering all the bases I guess.

keith
The odd thing is to trick workers of restaurants to serve sabbatarians on their old Sabbath day. They pull their wallet out and bribe the chiefs and the cooks to break Sabbath so the sabbatarians can have something tasty after church.

You'll never cover the bases. Any day is suitable but was a single man that changed the day. Chick-fa-la is doing a good job on the day of rest.

Upvote 0

heweeps

Apr 14, 2011
✟15,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The biggest problem I have with the whole question is trying to determine why believers with a Bible at their side choose to accept new ways that are not mentioned in scripture. I read statements that Sabbath keepers are bound up by the law or focusing on a day rather than Jesus. And yet they do exactly that with their Sundays.

My research, such as it is, says that the modern saturday is the Sabbath day and can be traced back to whenever. My God mentioned the Sabbath, Jesus preached on the Sabbath as did Paul.

I do not believe that keeping the Sabbath will save me, but I have this suspicion that it honors God if I try to do it His way. To me God is the boss, there is order in His ways. Out of His order comes freedom. Often I do not understand why He says something, but I am going to do it His way wherever I can because I know I can trust Him.

keith

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Sabbath is saturday, sunday has to do with sun worship, paganism, and satan worship. Is important to me? What do you think?
I expect the next day to start with another sunrise. That happened today and also happened yesterday from my point of view. Let the Roman Catholic tease the Sabbatarians on switching days. Jesus didn't mean for this to be complicated. Jesus meant LOVE as it is, alone, on any day.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I do not believe that keeping the Sabbath will save me, but I have this suspicion that it honors God if I try to do it His way. To me God is the boss, there is order in His ways. Out of His order comes freedom. Often I do not understand why He says something, but I am going to do it His way wherever I can because I know I can trust Him.

YES, YES AND YES.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I expect the next day to start with another sunrise. That happened today and also happened yesterday from my point of view. Let the Roman Catholic tease the Sabbatarians on switching days. Jesus didn't mean for this to be complicated. Jesus meant LOVE as it is, alone, on any day.

Can you tell me the purpose of your comment as it escapes me.

Upvote 0

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You CAN'T keep the sabbath, let alone keep it
Holy!

Only by Grace do we stand!

Because only JESUS is LORD of the sabbath.

One man considers one day more sacred than another;
another man considers every day alike.
Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.
Romans 14:5

There is no use debating it because its only
a boast of the flesh to brag that you have kept
any part of the Law.

-eric
The Exchanged Life

Upvote 0