Sabbath and Sunday in early Christian Theology (under construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The first commandment of the 10 that has a promise is honor your father and mother, yes.

There are other Commandments in addition to that.
since this thread is about the Sabbath commandment in the TEN - I suggest we not stray off topic.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What they affirm is a reinterpreted 10. Same words, different meaning
1. none of them say they reject God's commandment as God gave them.
2. None of them say the Ten commandments "have a different meaning"

Consider the details. Choose to stay on topic

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Did you want to discuss how individuals interpreting scripture for themselves works in early Christian Theology?
I want to discuss what scripture says rather than "what other people think" ... does that help clarify the point?

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
since this thread is about the Sabbath commandment in the TEN - I suggest we not stray off topic.
If you check the thread title and post 1, that's not what the thread is supposed to be about.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If you're aware of a commentary that says specifically which Commandments Paul is talking about, please post the URL for it :heart:
The ten commandments is more "sayings" than commandments. Judaism agrees.
In Hebrew, the word is dabar, not mitzvot. In Greek it is logous, not entole.
Greek

3056 λόγος logos log’-os

from 3004; n m; TDNT-4:69,505; {See TDNT 431}

AV-word 218, saying 50, account 8, speech 8, Word (Christ) 7, thing 5, not tr 2, misc 32; 330

Hebrew
01697 דבר dabar daw-baw’

from 01696; n m; [BDB-182a] {See TWOT on 399 @@ "399a"}

AV-word 807, thing 231, matter 63, acts 51, chronicles 38, saying 25, commandment 20, misc 204; 1439

• Winner
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Greek

3056 λόγος logos log’-os

AV-word 218, saying 50, account 8, speech 8, Word (Christ) 7, thing 5, not tr 2, misc 32; 330

Hebrew
01697 דבר dabar daw-baw’

AV-word 807, thing 231, matter 63, acts 51, chronicles 38, saying 25, commandment 20, misc 204; 1439
Right in the Ten Commandments, where God wrote and God spoke and added no more- God makes a plea to those who love Him-keep My commandments. Exodus 20:6

The word here is מִצְוָה (mitsvah) Strong's Hebrew: 4687
Strong's 4687: Commandment

The Ten Commandments as a unit might be the Ten Words and we are told to be doers of His Word. James 1:22

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said you do not accept God's commandments as He wrote them - so not sure how the statement above helps your POV.
I don't keep them to the letter, which has a different connotation than "do not accept God's commandments as He wrote them".

I'm asking because it may give us a way of discussing what Commandments Paul is referring to as "what matters" :heart:

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eph 6:2 "First commandment with a promise" for "Honor your father and mother" relates to the second table of stone in the stone tablets God wrote on at Sinai in Ex 20. obviously.

So then as a simple basic example (first commentary on my list as it just so happens)

Matthew Henry on Eph 6:2 'Honor your father and mother"

"; it is the first commandment in the second table, and it has a promise." The promise is, That it may be well with thee, c., Ephesians 6:3; Ephesians 6:3. Observe, Whereas the promise in the commandment has reference to the land of Canaan, the apostle hereby shows that this and other promises which we have in the Old Testament relating to the land of Canaan are to be understood more generally. That you may not think that the Jews only, to whom God gave the land of Canaan, were bound by the fifth commandment, he here gives it a further sense,"​

I don't think the fact that the Bible commentaries notice this obvious Bible detail is a surprise to anyone here - including you., So I am unclear as to your point.
Here's the train of exchanges
Paul could be referring to Commandments in the law of Moses, or he may be referring to Commandments that Jesus gave.

Your confusion on that point noted.

How blessed where are that the Bible commentaries are not in the least bit confused about them in Matt 19 and Rom 13.. But you are welcome to your speculation of course.

If you're aware of a commentary that says specifically which Commandments Paul is talking about, please post the URL for it :heart:
What I'm asking for is the URL of a commentary that says specifically which Commandments Paul is talking about when he says "what matters" here

If the commentary gives an answer along the lines of "the Ten Commandments plus some others", then it needs to specify which others :)

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You already admit to rejecting the commandments as God wrote them.

Why don't you argue in favor of a position you actually believe in?

I believe I am: the clearest issue with partial law theology is the inability of its adherents to say what the Commandments are. The Commandments are what matter

You said your beliefs are not "based on my beliefs" -- rather you said you do not accept God's commandments as He gave them.

You never said anything about asking me for my POV before choosing to accept or reject God's commandments as He gave them.

I believe that Jesus fulfilled all of the laws in the Old Testament when he came. Those laws contain much wisdom, but we don't have to keep them to the letter.

A common response is
Since God's Commandments still matter, there must be some Commandments from the Old Testament that we still have to keep to the letter.

A big issue with that reasoning is that those who use it are unable to say which Commandments :heart:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If all the Commandments in the Old Testament were fulfilled by Jesus when he came, that would mean the Sabbath commandment was fulfilled.

If a person disputes that, saying that The Ten Commandments plus some others are still in effect, it's up to them to say what other Commandments are still in effect, such that the workability of that theology can be discussed :)

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. none of them say they reject God's commandment as God gave them.
2. None of them say the Ten commandments "have a different meaning"

Consider the details. Choose to stay on topic
"...the underlying reasons for keeping "the Lord's Day" holy — inscribed solemnly in the Ten Commandments — remain valid, though they need to be
reinterpreted
in the light of the theology and spirituality of Sunday..."

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to discuss what scripture says rather than "what other people think" ... does that help clarify the point?
Well, if we want to stay on topic:
Sabbath and Sunday in early Christian Theology,

and that early Christian Theology is specified as the theology of the ancient churches in the op
Christians who come from one of the ancient Churches will recognize the two sacred days of the week that have been set apart for rest and for worship...
then we could talk about how the early church fathers used the scriptures when talking about Sabbath and Sunday. Do you want to do that?

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greek

3056 λόγος logos log’-os

Hebrew
01697 דבר dabar daw-baw’

Yep, and the first occurrence in the lxx, Exodus 34:28 has "δέκα λόγους", 10 words, or maybe better yet, 10 thoughts :)

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Deut 5:22 and Ex 20 agrees that they are the words spoken by God directly to the nation and written by God on stone - where Deut 5 says "And He added no more". So the thou shalt - commands are in fact commandments.

As Paul affirms in Eph 6:2 "Honor your father and mother is the first commandment with a promise" in that very specific unit of Ten that Deut 5 references.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, if we want to stay on topic:
Sabbath and Sunday in early Christian Theology,

and that early Christian Theology is specified as the theology of the ancient churches in the op

then we could talk about how the early church fathers used the scriptures when talking about Sabbath and Sunday. Do you want to do that?
Sure. I already laid out my case for the Lord's Day on my other thread in at least two places, but will requote here them in red and make new remarks in black.

I) "But getting back to Christianity, as I have relayed to my brother Martin who use to send me emails asking about the days we worship in Christianity (It turned out he had been listening to some kind of Adventist radio broadcast out of Sacramento). I told him a number of things I suspect readers of the friend will be familiar with such as: 1) the Sabbath was not officially mandated by the Apostles in Jerusalem Church counsel of acts 15. and 2) Saint Paul also battled people in the epistles who wanted to make the practices of the Mosiac Law mandatory for believers including specific days of worship, but he pushed back against such teaching and thinking and fought it bitterly. But his doing so, however does not mean that we are not informed by such customs and sacramental sentiments because the "weekend" exists out of the Christian context that comes out of Judaism. As I told my brother, if you are Traditional Sacramental Christian, you are doubly blessed compared to the Seven Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Original Jews, because you got two days off rather than just one (The Sabbath and the Lord's Day)."

\ And as I said before my reading of saint Paul on this basic issue as a Protestant who was raised as a traditional conservative Lutheran and became a nondenominational Charismatic in early adulthood, was likewise confirmed and verified just before turning 30, when I became an Orthodox or Eastern Christian later by reading the Church Fathers like Ignatius of Antioch, the Didache, Justin Martyr and a number of other later ones as well. I also would submit that this is not just about "reading the Bible", the ancient Christians bore witness to this having witnessed things firsthand or being taught and mentored by the original disciples, especially saint John the Divine.

The above point is also scriptural, "In the Mouth of Two or Three witnesses" doctrines are established, that scripture and principle is mentioned quite a number of times in the OT, Gospels and Epistles. Now I assume SDA will claim that for themselves and Ellen White (her church folks testifying of her etc.) but the witnesses got to be credible, and folks outside SDA would likely not see them as such not without more evidence and stuff than what SDA has. Like or not Ellen just does not rise the stature of a Biblical prophet that has a great character, that is confirmed by supernatural miracles, signs and wonders and successful prophecies that can be verified. And the few scriptural excuses that can be made like the story of Jonah I can refute as spurious comparisons and false analogies when such excuses will be made! The Devil in the details will negate any attempted scriptural excuse for her failed prophecies compared to a few incidents in the entire Bible (none of which ever benefitted a prophet that actually made a failed prophecy).

\ But I also I submit this is not just about "The Bible" but also about the legitimacy of one's interpretation and I got a better more legitimate one than folks like Ellen White whose only real big bullet point is claiming prophecy or revelation but such claims can be easily challenged and dispelled based on pointing out failed predictions, plagiarism, teaching that breaks from historic orthodox faith, and the shifting positions on SDA on her various teaching and claims which is like a foundation of sand like the foolish man of the parable of the wise and Foolish Builders rather than the Rock of Truth, or like shifting shadows mentioned by saint James, or even "winds of doctrine" mentioned by Saint Paul and this is especially true in regard to the "Shut Door" prophecy that is foundational for Adventism! (In 7 years time, I believe there were 5 different positions claimed via revelation, starting with people that disagreed with "The Little Flock" aka group of about 150 early Adventists were barred from heaven for rejecting the Little Flock's message!)

II) "But anyway, Christians began to call Sunday "the Lord's Day" and see it as a day of worship for these reasons:

1) The biggest reason is this is the day our Lord rose from the dead and "trampled down Death by his own Death", as saint John Chrysostom is famously quoted.

2) The Church received the "Holy Spirit" on a Pentecost Sunday

3) This is the day saint John the Divine received his vision or visions that became the book of Revelation. (This point is highly funny and ironic if you know about the SDA lifting "The spirit of prophecy" from the vision to describe Ellen White ministry but them anathematizing Sunday worship as a Satanic).

4) We also have it mentioned in Acts 20 as well (Where Paul is preaching, and the guy falls out of a high window and dies and he raises him from the dead).

5A) More importantly than the last example is the Old Testament significance of the 8th day. A number of important rituals, offerings etc. were done on that day. In Judaism itself it was realized that the 8th day was symbolic of being a new creation, new beginnings etc. and this very much foreshadows New Testament themes of "Being Born Again", "being alive in Christ", resurrection from the dead, God restoring all things at the end of the Age, our own receiving new glorified bodies etc.

5B) Much the same thing is true for the number 50, and it's role in Pentecost and the Jubilee. The fact some festivals fall on the 8th day also is a reminder of the first day of Creation as well since things move as a cycle."

6A) In addition to the above I will bring up the Jewish Festivals of Hanukkah and Purim. These were not directly established by God, but honored by God. Jesus for instance took part of the "festival of the Dedication" in John 10:22-24, the early name for Hanukkah. This is only noteworthy on the spurious claims that this is a pagan corruption, or some practice that is Satanic like the Mark of the Beast etc.

6B) People also forget that Christ stayed with his disciples many days before finally ascending to heaven. I believe he ascended to heaven 40 days after the Resurrection. But anyway Christ instructed his disciples in the scriptures and well I suspect this topic came up because we see Sunday as day of worship in Christianity and the disciples of the first apostles got no problems having this be the main day for Christian worship and it is obvious when you read the Apostolic fathers like Clement and Ignatius they were heavily influenced by the Apostles because like the original apostles they got their own epistles that read much like the Pauline and Catholic epistles in their style and content!

The early Christians of course met on the sabbath, but much of that was to evangelize the non-believing Jews at the temple and the synagogue, besides their previous pious practice and liturgical habits. Worship on Sunday however became the norm for "Exclusively Christian worship" in the early Church. This was why Ellen White herself actually worshipped on Sunday for a number of years even as a "prophet" prior to having her arm twisted by one early Adventist preacher and the Sabbatarian pamphlet that was circulate to the Little Flock which caused her to begin having Sabbatarian revelations 2 years later. (I am certain this was done unconsciously or a conscious lie to curry favor on her part, since she needed her and her husband's ministry funded to make a living, and the main person doing this was pushing Sabbatarianism if I recall).

III) Besides this I mentioned a third area affecting Church life in ancient times concerning charges like the so-called charge of "Chaing the Sabbath" etc. these are issues relevant to how the ancient Church actually functioned as "The Body of Christ", as a Eucharistic Community and how Bishops cared for their flocks pastorally.
"I also have other points to make on Jewish customs, institutions and practices that also have relevance for the Economy (Philosophy of ministry and the Bible) of classical Christianity on the issue of worship in general including days of the week such as Conciliarism, Binding and Loosening, tradition aka "Paradosis" and probably other stuff too."

IV) I can also make a scriptural argument that claims that Sunday is the mark of the beast itself is a "Doctrine of Demons" and revelation from "The Spirit of the anti-Christ". Which I have done in passing but I haven't really went in depth on it, some of it would probably involve the talks of Ellen White herself on the Doctrine of Demons issue and stuff she taught and claimed. Which probably would be better for a different thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The following quotations show that the first Christians understood this principle and gathered for worship on Sunday.

The Didache​

“But every Lord’s day . . . gather yourselves together and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned” (Didache 14 [A.D. 70]).

The Letter of Barnabas​

“We keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead” (Letter of Barnabas 15:6–8 [A.D. 74]).

Ignatius of Antioch​

“[T]hose who were brought up in the ancient order of things [i.e. Jews] have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s day, on which also our life has sprung up again by him and by his death” (Letter to the Magnesians 8 [A.D. 110]).

Justin Martyr​

“But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead” (First Apology 67 [A.D. 155]).

The Didascalia​

“The apostles further appointed: On the first day of the week let there be service, and the reading of the holy scriptures, and the oblation [sacrifice of the Mass], because on the first day of the week [i.e., Sunday] our Lord rose from the place of the dead, and on the first day of the week he arose upon the world, and on the first day of the week he ascended up to heaven, and on the first day of the week he will appear at last with the angels of heaven” (Didascalia 2 [A.D. 225]).

Origen​

“Hence it is not possible that the [day of] rest after the Sabbath should have come into existence from the seventh [day] of our God. On the contrary, it is our Savior who, after the pattern of his own rest, caused us to be made in the likeness of his death, and hence also of his resurrection” (Commentary on John 2:28 [A.D. 229]).

Victorinus​

“The sixth day [Friday] is called parasceve, that is to say, the preparation of the kingdom. . . . On this day also, on account of the passion of the Lord Jesus Christ, we make either a station to God or a fast. On the seventh day he rested from all his works, and blessed it, and sanctified it. On the former day we are accustomed to fast rigorously, that on the Lord’s day we may go forth to our bread with giving of thanks. And let the parasceve become a rigorous fast, lest we should appear to observe any Sabbath with the Jews . . . which Sabbath he [Christ] in his body abolished” (The Creation of the World [A.D. 300]).

Eusebius of Caesarea​

“They [the early saints of the Old Testament] did not care about circumcision of the body, neither do we [Christians]. They did not care about observing Sabbaths, nor do we. They did not avoid certain kinds of food, neither did they regard the other distinctions which Moses first delivered to their posterity to be observed as symbols; nor do Christians of the present day do such things” (Church History 1:4:8 [A.D. 312]).

“[T]he day of his [Christ’s] light . . . was the day of his resurrection from the dead, which they say, as being the one and only truly holy day and the Lord’s day, is better than any number of days as we ordinarily understand them, and better than the days set apart by the Mosaic law for feasts, new moons, and Sabbaths, which the apostle [Paul] teaches are the shadow of days and not days in reality” (Proof of the Gospel 4:16:186 [A.D. 319]).

Athanasius​

“The Sabbath was the end of the first creation, the Lord’s day was the beginning of the second, in which he renewed and restored the old in the same way as he prescribed that they should formerly observe the Sabbath as a memorial of the end of the first things, so we honor the Lord’s day as being the memorial of the new creation” (On Sabbath and Circumcision 3 [A.D. 345]).

Cyril of Jerusalem​

“Fall not away either into the sect of the Samaritans or into Judaism, for Jesus Christ has henceforth ransomed you. Stand aloof from all observance of Sabbaths and from calling any indifferent meats common or unclean” (Catechetical Lectures 4:37 [A.D. 350]).

Council of Laodicea​

“Christians should not Judaize and should not be idle on the Sabbath, but should work on that day; they should, however, particularly reverence the Lord’s day and, if possible, not work on it, because they were Christians” (Canon 29 [A.D. 360]).

John Chrysostom​

“[W]hen he [God] said, ‘You shall not kill’ . . . he did not add, ‘because murder is a wicked thing.’ The reason was that conscience had taught this beforehand, and he speaks thus, as to those who know and understand the point. Wherefore when he speaks to us of another commandment, not known to us by the dictate of conscience, he not only prohibits, but adds the reason. When, for instance, he gave commandment concerning the Sabbath— ‘On the seventh day you shall do no work’—he subjoined also the reason for this cessation. What was this? ‘Because on the seventh day God rested from all his works which he had begun to make’ [Ex. 20:10-11]. . . . For what purpose then, I ask, did he add a reason respecting the Sabbath, but did no such thing in regard to murder? Because this commandment was not one of the leading ones. It was not one of those which were accurately defined of our conscience, but a kind of partial and temporary one, and for this reason it was abolished afterward. But those which are necessary and uphold our life are the following: ‘You shall not kill. . . . You shall not commit adultery. . . . You shall not steal.’ On this account he adds no reason in this case, nor enters into any instruction on the matter, but is content with the bare prohibition” (Homilies on the Statutes 12:9 [A.D. 387]).

“You have put on Christ, you have become a member of the Lord and been enrolled in the heavenly city, and you still grovel in the law [of Moses]? How is it possible for you to obtain the kingdom? Listen to Paul’s words, that the observance of the law overthrows the gospel, and learn, if you will, how this comes to pass, and tremble, and shun this pitfall. Why do you keep the Sabbath and fast with the Jews?” (Homilies on Galatians 2:17 [A.D. 395]).

“The rite of circumcision was venerable in the Jews’ account, forasmuch as the law itself gave way thereto, and the Sabbath was less esteemed than circumcision. For that circumcision might be performed, the Sabbath was broken; but that the Sabbath might be kept, circumcision was never broken; and mark, I pray, the dispensation of God. This is found to be even more solemn than the Sabbath, as not being omitted at certain times. When then it is done away, much more is the Sabbath” (Homilies on Philippians 10 [A.D. 402]).

The Apostolic Constitutions​

“And on the day of our Lord’s resurrection, which is the Lord’s day, meet more diligently, sending praise to God that made the universe by Jesus, and sent him to us, and condescended to let him suffer, and raised him from the dead. Otherwise what apology will he make to God who does not assemble on that day . . . in which is performed the reading of the prophets, the preaching of the gospel, the oblation of the sacrifice, the gift of the holy food” (Apostolic Constitutions 2:7:60 [A.D. 400]).

Augustine​

“Well, now, I should like to be told what there is in these ten commandments, except the observance of the Sabbath, which ought not to be kept by a Christian” (The Spirit and the Letter 24 [A.D. 412]).

Pope Gregory I​

“It has come to my ears that certain men of perverse spirit have sown among you some things that are wrong and opposed to the holy faith, so as to forbid any work being done on the Sabbath day. What else can I call these [men] but preachers of Antichrist, who when he comes will cause the Sabbath day as well as the Lord’s day to be kept free from all work. For because he [the Antichrist] pretends to die and rise again, he wishes the Lord’s day to be held in reverence; and because he compels the people to Judaize that he may bring back the outward rite of the law, and
subject the perfidy of the Jews to himself, he wishes the Sabbath to be observed. For this which is said by the prophet, ‘You shall bring in no burden through your gates on the Sabbath day’ [Jer. 17:24] could be held to as long as it was lawful for the law to be observed according to the letter. But after that the grace of almighty God, our Lord Jesus Christ, has appeared, the commandments of the law which were spoken figuratively cannot be kept according to the letter. For if anyone says that this about the Sabbath is to be kept, he must needs say that carnal sacrifices are to be offered. He must say too that the commandment about the circumcision of the body is still to be retained. But let him hear the apostle Paul saying in opposition to him: ‘If you be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing’ [Gal. 5:2]” (Letters 13:1 [A.D. 597]).

This article is an extremely detailed look at Sunday worship before Constantine

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The previous mentioned article brings up an issue I intended to mention at some point

A major split between Jewish Christians and non-Christian Jews took place late in the first century. Christians were included among the heretics referred to in the twelfth of the Eighteen Benedictions that Jews recited daily and in every synagogue service. Since no heretic would pronounce this curse, it effectively banned Christians from the synagogue:

"For the renegades let there be no hope, and may the arrogant kingdom soon be rooted out in our days, and the [Nazoreans, so Martin] and the minim [which at least includes Jewish Christians] perish as in a moment and be blotted out from the book of life and with the righteous may they not be inscribed. Blessed art thou, O Lord, who humblest the arrogant.49"

The Jerusalem church continued to rest on the sabbath and attend Temple or synagogue services, and they also met as Christians in private homes to hear teaching from the apostles and to break bread together.50 The reason for Sunday worship would have been a Christian need for a time of distinctively Christian worship. As Bauckham notes, once we grant that the Jerusalem church had Christian meetings in addition to the Temple or synagogue services, the Jewish Christian observance of the sabbath is not contradictory to Jewish Christian worship on Sunday.51 After the Christians were removed from the synagogues, only these Sunday meetings would be left. As we see in Acts 20:7 (which predates the Jewish Christians being expelled from the synagogues), Luke writes that the church in Troas was meeting on the first day of the week for the purpose of breaking bread."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The following quotations show that the first Christians understood this principle and gathered for worship on Sunday.

The Didache​

“But every Lord’s day . . . gather yourselves together and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned” (Didache 14 [A.D. 70]).

The Letter of Barnabas​

“We keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead” (Letter of Barnabas 15:6–8 [A.D. 74]).

Ignatius of Antioch​

“[T]hose who were brought up in the ancient order of things [i.e. Jews] have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s day, on which also our life has sprung up again by him and by his death” (Letter to the Magnesians 8 [A.D. 110]).

Justin Martyr​

“But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead” (First Apology 67 [A.D. 155]).

The Didascalia​

“The apostles further appointed: On the first day of the week let there be service, and the reading of the holy scriptures, and the oblation [sacrifice of the Mass], because on the first day of the week [i.e., Sunday] our Lord rose from the place of the dead, and on the first day of the week he arose upon the world, and on the first day of the week he ascended up to heaven, and on the first day of the week he will appear at last with the angels of heaven” (Didascalia 2 [A.D. 225]).

Origen​

“Hence it is not possible that the [day of] rest after the Sabbath should have come into existence from the seventh [day] of our God. On the contrary, it is our Savior who, after the pattern of his own rest, caused us to be made in the likeness of his death, and hence also of his resurrection” (Commentary on John 2:28 [A.D. 229]).

Victorinus​

“The sixth day [Friday] is called parasceve, that is to say, the preparation of the kingdom. . . . On this day also, on account of the passion of the Lord Jesus Christ, we make either a station to God or a fast. On the seventh day he rested from all his works, and blessed it, and sanctified it. On the former day we are accustomed to fast rigorously, that on the Lord’s day we may go forth to our bread with giving of thanks. And let the parasceve become a rigorous fast, lest we should appear to observe any Sabbath with the Jews . . . which Sabbath he [Christ] in his body abolished” (The Creation of the World [A.D. 300]).

Eusebius of Caesarea​

“They [the early saints of the Old Testament] did not care about circumcision of the body, neither do we [Christians]. They did not care about observing Sabbaths, nor do we. They did not avoid certain kinds of food, neither did they regard the other distinctions which Moses first delivered to their posterity to be observed as symbols; nor do Christians of the present day do such things” (Church History 1:4:8 [A.D. 312]).

“[T]he day of his [Christ’s] light . . . was the day of his resurrection from the dead, which they say, as being the one and only truly holy day and the Lord’s day, is better than any number of days as we ordinarily understand them, and better than the days set apart by the Mosaic law for feasts, new moons, and Sabbaths, which the apostle [Paul] teaches are the shadow of days and not days in reality” (Proof of the Gospel 4:16:186 [A.D. 319]).

Athanasius​

“The Sabbath was the end of the first creation, the Lord’s day was the beginning of the second, in which he renewed and restored the old in the same way as he prescribed that they should formerly observe the Sabbath as a memorial of the end of the first things, so we honor the Lord’s day as being the memorial of the new creation” (On Sabbath and Circumcision 3 [A.D. 345]).

Cyril of Jerusalem​

“Fall not away either into the sect of the Samaritans or into Judaism, for Jesus Christ has henceforth ransomed you. Stand aloof from all observance of Sabbaths and from calling any indifferent meats common or unclean” (Catechetical Lectures 4:37 [A.D. 350]).

Council of Laodicea​

“Christians should not Judaize and should not be idle on the Sabbath, but should work on that day; they should, however, particularly reverence the Lord’s day and, if possible, not work on it, because they were Christians” (Canon 29 [A.D. 360]).

John Chrysostom​

“[W]hen he [God] said, ‘You shall not kill’ . . . he did not add, ‘because murder is a wicked thing.’ The reason was that conscience had taught this beforehand, and he speaks thus, as to those who know and understand the point. Wherefore when he speaks to us of another commandment, not known to us by the dictate of conscience, he not only prohibits, but adds the reason. When, for instance, he gave commandment concerning the Sabbath— ‘On the seventh day you shall do no work’—he subjoined also the reason for this cessation. What was this? ‘Because on the seventh day God rested from all his works which he had begun to make’ [Ex. 20:10-11]. . . . For what purpose then, I ask, did he add a reason respecting the Sabbath, but did no such thing in regard to murder? Because this commandment was not one of the leading ones. It was not one of those which were accurately defined of our conscience, but a kind of partial and temporary one, and for this reason it was abolished afterward. But those which are necessary and uphold our life are the following: ‘You shall not kill. . . . You shall not commit adultery. . . . You shall not steal.’ On this account he adds no reason in this case, nor enters into any instruction on the matter, but is content with the bare prohibition” (Homilies on the Statutes 12:9 [A.D. 387]).

“You have put on Christ, you have become a member of the Lord and been enrolled in the heavenly city, and you still grovel in the law [of Moses]? How is it possible for you to obtain the kingdom? Listen to Paul’s words, that the observance of the law overthrows the gospel, and learn, if you will, how this comes to pass, and tremble, and shun this pitfall. Why do you keep the Sabbath and fast with the Jews?” (Homilies on Galatians 2:17 [A.D. 395]).

“The rite of circumcision was venerable in the Jews’ account, forasmuch as the law itself gave way thereto, and the Sabbath was less esteemed than circumcision. For that circumcision might be performed, the Sabbath was broken; but that the Sabbath might be kept, circumcision was never broken; and mark, I pray, the dispensation of God. This is found to be even more solemn than the Sabbath, as not being omitted at certain times. When then it is done away, much more is the Sabbath” (Homilies on Philippians 10 [A.D. 402]).

The Apostolic Constitutions​

“And on the day of our Lord’s resurrection, which is the Lord’s day, meet more diligently, sending praise to God that made the universe by Jesus, and sent him to us, and condescended to let him suffer, and raised him from the dead. Otherwise what apology will he make to God who does not assemble on that day . . . in which is performed the reading of the prophets, the preaching of the gospel, the oblation of the sacrifice, the gift of the holy food” (Apostolic Constitutions 2:7:60 [A.D. 400]).

Augustine​

“Well, now, I should like to be told what there is in these ten commandments, except the observance of the Sabbath, which ought not to be kept by a Christian” (The Spirit and the Letter 24 [A.D. 412]).

Pope Gregory I​

“It has come to my ears that certain men of perverse spirit have sown among you some things that are wrong and opposed to the holy faith, so as to forbid any work being done on the Sabbath day. What else can I call these [men] but preachers of Antichrist, who when he comes will cause the Sabbath day as well as the Lord’s day to be kept free from all work. For because he [the Antichrist] pretends to die and rise again, he wishes the Lord’s day to be held in reverence; and because he compels the people to Judaize that he may bring back the outward rite of the law, and
subject the perfidy of the Jews to himself, he wishes the Sabbath to be observed. For this which is said by the prophet, ‘You shall bring in no burden through your gates on the Sabbath day’ [Jer. 17:24] could be held to as long as it was lawful for the law to be observed according to the letter. But after that the grace of almighty God, our Lord Jesus Christ, has appeared, the commandments of the law which were spoken figuratively cannot be kept according to the letter. For if anyone says that this about the Sabbath is to be kept, he must needs say that carnal sacrifices are to be offered. He must say too that the commandment about the circumcision of the body is still to be retained. But let him hear the apostle Paul saying in opposition to him: ‘If you be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing’ [Gal. 5:2]” (Letters 13:1 [A.D. 597]).

This article is an extremely detailed look at Sunday worship before Constantine
Yes, lots of references to Sunday worship outside of the Word of God, but nothing in scripture. Paul warned us Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. God wants us to come out of these false teachings Rev 18:4 as we must worship Him in Truth and Spirit John 4:23-24 and we are only sanctified by the Truth of His Word John 17:17 (not outside teachings) and all of God's commandments are Truth Psalms 119:151 including the Sabbath commandment the way God wrote it, not what was altered by man that we are warned about not to do. Deut 4:2 Proverbs 30:5-6 Jesus told us to obey the commandments of God quoting from the Ten Matthew 15:3-9 over mans traditions. You will not find the commandment to keep the first day holy, no where does God bless and sanctify the first day, but a day to do work Exodus 20:9 Jesus and the apostles (the first church) all kept the commandments of God including Sabbath-keeping and they are our example to follow, not what was changed by man that we are warned about in the Word of God Dan 7:25 Isaiah 8:20

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The previous mentioned article brings up an issue I intended to mention at some point

A major split between Jewish Christians and non-Christian Jews took place late in the first century. Christians were included among the heretics referred to in the twelfth of the Eighteen Benedictions that Jews recited daily and in every synagogue service. Since no heretic would pronounce this curse, it effectively banned Christians from the synagogue:

"For the renegades let there be no hope, and may the arrogant kingdom soon be rooted out in our days, and the [Nazoreans, so Martin] and the minim [which at least includes Jewish Christians] perish as in a moment and be blotted out from the book of life and with the righteous may they not be inscribed. Blessed art thou, O Lord, who humblest the arrogant.49"

The Jerusalem church continued to rest on the sabbath and attend Temple or synagogue services, and they also met as Christians in private homes to hear teaching from the apostles and to break bread together.50 The reason for Sunday worship would have been a Christian need for a time of distinctively Christian worship. As Bauckham notes, once we grant that the Jerusalem church had Christian meetings in addition to the Temple or synagogue services, the Jewish Christian observance of the sabbath is not contradictory to Jewish Christian worship on Sunday.51 After the Christians were removed from the synagogues, only these Sunday meetings would be left. As we see in Acts 20:7 (which predates the Jewish Christians being expelled from the synagogues), Luke writes that the church in Troas was meeting on the first day of the week for the purpose of breaking bread."
I didn't know about the benediction. Thank you.
By reading through the book of Acts it's easy to see that trajectory taking place. As the Church grew and expanded to the Gentiles, it was simultaneosly being pushed out of the synagog(s). By the end, there's Sunday services taking place in houses.
I don't know when the seperation was complete, but it happened before the end of the first century as shown in the Didache and the other writings. So less than 30 years. John would still be alive.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.