Sabbath and Sunday in early Christian Theology (under construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I hadn't heard of this. Is it something found in the Latin rite part of the Catholic church? Or is it a more Eastern thing?
I can verify this as Catholic. I am not Catholic etc. but you got to understand the early spirituality of Christendom was common. The Latin's got a saying that we Orthodox use and agree with. Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi. The Rule of Prayer is the rule of Faith.

All the ancient Churches have this basic heritage that comes from ancient times. The Catholics got a rule called Sunday Obligation (You need to go to church once a week for worship or you commit a mortal sin, unless you got good reason to stay away because of an emergency, illness etc.). That Sunday obligation can be fulfilled as early as Friday evening, the start of the Jewish sabbath! and goes through the weekend, into Sunday afternoon and evening.

Anyway, Eastern and Oriental Orthodox tend to have a prayer service called Vespers or "Raising of Incense" which is like a preparatory prayer service the night before the Liturgy. Saturday is also a preparatory day for feasts, holding Confirmation classes, doing other Church stuff.
Quite often we got stuff going on as early as Friday evening.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,575.00
Country
United States
Faith