NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Another Trump co-defendent trying to avoid paying his bills!

Giuliani Files for Bankruptcy Protection

Rudolph W. Giuliani filed for bankruptcy on Thursday, a day after a federal judge ordered him to start paying the $148 million in damages he owes to two former Georgia election workers for spreading lies that they had tried to steal the 2020 election from Donald J. Trump. Mr. Giuliani also owes millions of dollars in legal fees as well as unpaid state and federal income taxes, according to the filing.

In total, Mr. Giuliani said in the filing, he owes creditors $152.7 million as well as other potential damages he faces in pending lawsuits. Mr. Giuliani owed more than $700,000 in back federal taxes and almost $300,000 in delinquent state taxes.

Hunter Biden is a CPA by comparison!

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does this let him off the hook? :rolleyes:
No, it does not. While you can declare bankruptcy to reduce what you owe to most creditors, court rulings against you -- including judgements from civil trials -- are typically not reduced and still required to be paid off in full. In fact, it is even worse for Giuliani as he has to put the amount he "owes" from the civil judgement as a bond if he wants to appeal the civil judgement -- meaning he is unlikely to be able to appeal the civil judgement and will not be able to reduce the amount he owes to Freeman and Moss.

What is more interesting to me, Giuliani appears to be one in a long line of lawyers who have lost their careers, their fortunes, and often their freedom (we'll see how Giuliani does with the criminal charges that have been brought against him) when they start acting as one of Trump's primary lawyers.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Does this let him off the hook? :rolleyes:
Not "completely off the hook"...

However, there does seem to be some conflicting information with regards to the impacts on various kinds of judgments depending on which law firm's website you look at.
(of course, it looks like it varies from state to state in some instances as well)

If you have committed an intentional tort and cannot afford to pay the debt, in some cases bankruptcy can discharge the debt, or can provide you time to pay the debt under court supervision over three to five years. Bankruptcy can also shield your assets and wages for a time while you repay what you can afford.

Other law firms like this one

Give a much murkier description and shares some case examples and various loopholes and caveats to the whole process.

I think in this case, the most obvious answer is the likely one...which is, it sounds like he was already having money troubles. And money is somewhat fungible...

This is likely being done as a way for him discharge other debts not relating to this case to free up additional moneys for him to make payments on this one should his appeal fail.

IE:
"I, as a debtor owe $10,000 a month to this other creditor
"Now, this new thing happened and I have to come up $10,000 a month to pay these ladies"
"I'll file bankruptcy to discharge debt A so I can put it toward debt B and not change my current monthly bottom line or standard of living"

It should also be noted that "on the hook" doesn't mean Rudy will be out on the streets begging for change or living in a dingy little apartment contemplating his life choices anytime soon.

This is a good parallel case to consider

Alex Jones lost his case and the Sandy Hook families were awarded a collective $1+ Billion dollars from him back in mid-late 2022. He filed for bankruptcy pretty quickly afterwards, had some crafty accountants move some assets around.

They're still going to court trying to get their money while he's still sitting on millions of dollars in cash assets, $3 million worth of real-estate investments, and a upper six figure contract working for Steven Crowder's new "Mug Club" streaming service.

Per CBS (on Dec. 16th)
Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones' latest bankruptcy plan would pay Sandy Hook families a minimum total of $55 million over 10 years, a fraction of the $1.5 billion awarded to the relatives in lawsuits against him for calling the 2012 Newtown school shooting a hoax.
(meanwhile, the family's attys are filing a motion to try to get the courts to make him liquidate his assets)

If the ratios are in anyway similar...
That would mean that 16 months from now, we'll hear that "in accordance to the latest bankruptcy plan, Rudy has to pay the women $5.2 million over a period of 10 years" (while they'd have to pay lawyers to file a motion for asset liquidation, or find a good-hearted lawyer who was willing to do it for free)

I know it's not the "comfortable" "feel good ending" answer people want to hear...but I think it's important to set reasonable expectations with regards to what the end result could be.

The reality is that these women (who were wronged, and put through something none of us would want to go through) may get "stiffed on the bill" so to speak and could end up going years before even seeing a dime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What is more interesting to me, Giuliani appears to be one in a long line of lawyers who have lost their careers, their fortunes, and often their freedom (we'll see how Giuliani does with the criminal charges that have been brought against him) when they start acting as one of Trump's primary lawyers.
When they start acting criminally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Then I suppose the question is, what is it about becoming one of Trump's primary lawyers that tends to make them start acting criminally?
That is a very good question. Some of his lawyers refused to cross that line and so they stopped being his lawyer. So if a person is to be his lawyer many times it seems to be a requirement of this particular assignment.
So I guess he keeps searching until he finds someone willing to do it.

In his last administration, his AG was willing to do a great many things for him, but stopped at falsely claiming widespread voting fraud, he then lost his job. His VP did some unethical things for him, e.g. travelling a great many miles off course just to stay at a Trump hotel and ensure tax payers paid the accomodation money into Trump's bank account, but then he refused to illegally throw away legal votes, and so he lost D Trump's support and endorsement and even had Trump send a large angry violent mob after him.

So D Trump has been looking for people that will go that extra mile for him in his potential next administration, Stephen Miller for AG, Steve Bannon, Tucker Carlson, etc. USA is a very large country, it seems possible to find people willing to break laws and risk jail for D Trump.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,489.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That is a very good question. Some of his lawyers refused to cross that line and so they stopped being his lawyer. So if a person is to be his lawyer many times it seems to be a requirement of this particular assignment.
So I guess he keeps searching until he finds someone willing to do it.

In his last administration, his AG was willing to do a great many things for him, but stopped at falsely claiming widespread voting fraud, he then lost his job. His VP did some unethical things for him, e.g. travelling a great many miles off course just to stay at a Trump hotel and ensure tax payers paid the accomodation money into Trump's bank account, but then he refused to illegally throw away legal votes, and so he lost D Trump's support and endorsement and even had Trump send a large angry violent mob after him.

So D Trump has been looking for people that will go that extra mile for him in his potential next administration, Stephen Miller for AG, Steve Bannon, Tucker Carlson, etc. USA is a very large country, it seems possible to find people willing to break laws and risk jail for D Trump.
Yeah. That sounds like what I heard someone comparing 45 to a roach motel. Crawl in with him and it's impossible to crawl out.

• Haha
Reactions: stevil
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, it does not. While you can declare bankruptcy to reduce what you owe to most creditors, court rulings against you -- including judgements from civil trials -- are typically not reduced and still required to be paid off in full. In fact, it is even worse for Giuliani as he has to put the amount he "owes" from the civil judgement as a bond if he wants to appeal the civil judgement -- meaning he is unlikely to be able to appeal the civil judgement and will not be able to reduce the amount he owes to Freeman and Moss.

remember there is a reason that MAGA stands for, "Make atourneys get atourneys."

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Giuliani bankruptcy creditors fire off subpoenas to try to establish whether Trump owes him money

Creditors in disgraced former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani’s bankruptcy case have issued subpoenas to his associates to try to determine whether his former client Donald Trump owes him money, as the ex-mayor has previously claimed.

The Committee of Unsecured Creditors — individuals and entities that Mr Giuliani owes — served more than a dozen subpoenas on Friday in an effort to recover his assets.

The Independent previously reported that the creditors’ committee is “discussing” taking legal action against Mr Trump to recover this [allegedly owed] $2m — a move that Mr Giuliani has said he does not want to take.

Upvote 0