Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do you see things going differently had it been a different judge?

Judge's have to act in accordance with the law, and can't show political favoritism within their job capacity, but there's nothing that should suggest that a judge isn't allowed to have a political leaning. Our supreme court is full of people who have well-established political leanings.
(Spoiler alert, Clearance Thomas is conservative, Sotomayor is liberal.... shocking right?)

In this case involving Rudy, the facts are what they are.

He falsely accused 2 people of election fraud, by name (when they did no such thing), and it led to incessant harassment, death threats, and even threats to their children.

He admitted that he made the false statements about them

The judge's only role in this case was to determine liable or not liable for defamation, the jury decided the dollar amount.

It would seem that it wouldn't matter if the judge was Noam Chomsky or Ben Shapiro (guys who are on opposite ends of the political spectrum), if a person says "yeah I did it", there's only one logical conclusion there, he's liable.

If you want to make an argument that the media/academia/entertainment unfairly blasts conservatives for things and engages in double standards...I'd likely have some points of agreement with you on that. But if you're looking to prove that point in an objective manner, Rudy is the wrong horse to hitch your wagon to...just sayin'

It'd be like if a liberal wanted to make the case that their side is unfairly accused of cronyism, and decided to go "all-in" on defending Rod Blagojevich or Bob Menendez against allegations.
Thank you for a good and reasonable post. Concerning this case and this very biased judge, my biggest problem with the judgment is the very exorbitant amount of the award. $149 million is just flat out ridiculous.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Thank you for a good and reasonable post. Concerning this case and this very biased judge, my biggest problem with the judgment is the very exorbitant amount of the award. $149 million is just flat out ridiculous.

I’d argue the amount wasn’t high enough because Giuliani has continued to defame them.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,359.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is a lengthy post from Congresswoman Stefanik demonstrating why Judge Beryl Howell is very clearly the wrong judge to have been chosen to preside and judge this case against Rudy Giuliani. In my opinion, Judge Beryl Howell is little more than a partisan leftist liberal.
Giuliani admitted he was guilty. He signed court papers to that affect. The judge simply accepted that admission. She had no decision to make. What could she have done? Tell Giuliani that he lied by pleading guilty? Charge him with perjury because he confessed?

Talk sense for heaven's sake.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

As already noted, the judge DOES NOT SET THE AWARD. (Let me guess, you'd never heard of Beryl Howell before, had you?)

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,359.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Did I say she did?

I recall quoting someone's post saying that the federal jury set the award.
Then why say that the judge was biased? There was nothing on which to base that. The defendant pleaded guilty and the jury awarded the damages. The judge had nothing to do. Your response has all the appearance of a knee jerk reaction. It was someone working for Trump...therefore anything that goes against him is automatically biased.

Can't you see what you just did?

• Agree
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I miss the days when left wing liberals weren't prosecuting their political opponents
Maybe they should stop committing crimes and doing things for which they are being held liable? :scratch:
thereby causing election interference.
Just stop. It's embarrassing to read.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,359.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Her biases are very obvious based upon her own words. I'm done with this thread because the discussion is just going around in circles.
But you accused her of being biased in this trial. That was simply not possible. There was no way for her bias to be exhibited. If you are basing it on what she said, then that is probably her warning Giuliani that he was on trial for making defamatory claims about the two women, he had pled guilty and he was repeating them outside the court.

On a scale of one to ten for idiotic behaviour, then Giuliani gets the perfect score. What's the judge to do? Ignore that? And hey, guess who would have read those comments. Yeah, the jury members. Who were due to award damages. And they see the guy, far from being contrite, actually doubling down on the accusations.

Way to go, Rudi!

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Wow,
if there is ANY verdict against a trump supporter many people will be convinced that
the verdict clearly proves the "deep state" has "weaponized" the justice system to punish Trump supporters

Unfortunately yes. Now that this idea has taken root, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Even when people in Trump's camp plead guilty, all that means is that the deep state 'got to them'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I miss the days when left wing liberals weren't prosecuting their political opponents thereby causing election interference.
I miss the days when Republicans didn't think they were above the law. Of course, that was when Lincoln was around, and I was barely crawling then.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I miss the days when Republicans didn't think they were above the law. Of course, that was when Lincoln was around, and I was barely crawling then.
I miss the days when the DoJ wasn't weaponized against one's political opponents.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I miss the days when the DoJ wasn't weaponized against one's political opponents.

How can you miss those days when they are still here?
Or alternately, when exactly were those days? J Edgar Hoover took over what became the FBI in 1924 and wasn't exactly known for his fair and open-minded approach towards dissidents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I was on the jury, I would have voted "not guilty." I don't believe that he lied. Because if someone believes that he, or she, is really telling the truth, then that person is not lying.... even if others believe that the "facts", or interpretation of the facts, are different than what the defendant believes is true.
The jury looks at facts, not the lies, by their news media.

Upvote 0