Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello folks. It's been a long time since I've posted here and I hope all are well.

I've been feeling a strong call to the priesthood for quite some time now and just recently have begun to seriously talk about attending seminary with my spiritual father. I was received into Orthodoxy 8 years ago at a Greek parish. Since then I have moved and now attend a ROCOR church. I am conflicted as too whether or not a GOA or ROCOR seminary would be best. I have little to no knowledge of any Greek or Slavonic, so will be starting at square 1 regardless in terms of language learning. I adore the more traditional stance and style of worship found in most Russian churches in America, but I have never come across a ROCOR priest that wasn't a slav. As an Italian convert, I'm a bit concerned as too how I'd be received.
Welcome back to TAW! :)

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Go ROCOR. Yes, there is a distinctly "Russian flavor" to their liturgics and mindset (duh), but they receive converts quite well. Fr. Tryphon of "The Morning Offering" fame was raised Norweigan Lutheran and does quite well in ROCOR.

That and between the two jurisdictions I've had a better welcome in ROCOR than any Greek parish ever.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That and between the two jurisdictions I've had a better welcome in ROCOR than any Greek parish ever.
Yeah, you wouldn't still be able to say that if you'd come to my parish that weekend. :p

;)

Upvote 0

Giantsbran1227

The Sinner.
Feb 18, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟16,432.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Go ROCOR. Yes, there is a distinctly "Russian flavor" to their liturgics and mindset (duh), but they receive converts quite well. Fr. Tryphon of "The Morning Offering" fame was raised Norweigan Lutheran and does quite well in ROCOR.

This has been my experience as well. Although I find nearly all ROCOR priests must work second jobs and I've yet to meet a GOA priest that has had to do so. While I'm perfectly fine with that, I have no idea what I would do on the side to support myself.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I say come to St Tikhon's. we have Greek, ROCOR, Antiochian, OCA, and Serbian students currently, and even if you stay ROCOR, you can leave here with the professional and terminal degree of the MDiv (unlike Jordanville) and little to no debt (unlike Holy Cross). plus we have the monastery here. even Abbot Tryphon suggests St Tikhon's as America's top seminary that he recommends.

• Agree
Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0

Giantsbran1227

The Sinner.
Feb 18, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟16,432.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am Greek and I recommend Jordanville. It's the only seminary I would recommend.

Thanks for the recommendation. It the one I was planning on applying too. Can you elaborate a bit on why you'd recommend it over the others out there?

Upvote 0

Giantsbran1227

The Sinner.
Feb 18, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟16,432.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I say come to St Tikhon's. we have Greek, ROCOR, Antiochian, OCA, and Serbian students currently, and even if you stay ROCOR, you can leave here with the professional and terminal degree of the MDiv (unlike Jordanville) and little to no debt (unlike Holy Cross). plus we have the monastery here. even Abbot Tryphon suggests St Tikhon's as America's top seminary that he recommends.
Thanks Matt. I wasn't looking at the OCA ones but I'll make sure to check out St Tikhons!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Most of these seminaries are modernist institutions trying to be relevant, inviting heterodox people to speak and so on. St. Tikhons is good, probably because it's also a monastery like in Jordanville. But I prefer Holy Trinity as their history and bishops and saints have shown they are not afraid to speak out against the others when they begin to waiver from the faith.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most of these seminaries are modernist institutions trying to be relevant, inviting heterodox people to speak and so on. St. Tikhons is good, probably because it's also a monastery like in Jordanville. But I prefer Holy Trinity as their history and bishops and saints have shown they are not afraid to speak out against the others when they begin to waiver from the faith.

I would just point out that Sts. Tikhon, Nikolai of Ziccha, Raphael of Brooklyn, Alexander Hotovitsky, Alexis Toth, and possibly John of Chicago are affiliated and some taught at STOTS. plus we have the unglorified folks like Metropolitan Leonty, Archbishop Arseny, Fr Vasily, Fr Vladimir Borichevsky from here as well.

plus the founders of Holy Trinity were from St Tikhon's and a large number of the faculty are disciples of Elder Sophrony

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would also point out, that when we have gathered for OISM events, St Tikhon's and Holy Trinity are more on the same page on the whole than the others.

I don't mean that as a knock, I know some awesome clergy that have come from other seminaries, but I think that the presence of the full liturgical cycle due to the monasteries really helps out.

Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, you wouldn't still be able to say that if you'd come to my parish that weekend. :p

;)
Ha! ^_^
At my defense, I was up all night the day before swapping sea stories with my stepmom's dad, a WWII vet. Good times.

Sadly, my two favorite Greek Archdiocese priests have been 1) a Navy chaplain who was a convert and 2) a parish priest fighting the bishop's increased usage of Greek in parishes - he was the only ethnically Greek priest who didn't make some remark about my not being Greek.

This has been my experience as well. Although I find nearly all ROCOR priests must work second jobs and I've yet to meet a GOA priest that has had to do so. While I'm perfectly fine with that, I have no idea what I would do on the side to support myself.
eh, you'll survive. Or after a few years of priesthood under your belt, consider joining one of the branches of the military as a chaplain. The military needs more Christian chaplains who don't give Christianity a bad name (like many Evangelical chaplains who try to convert people)

How's the old joke go?

St. Vlad's will teach you why you swing a censor.
St. Tikhon's will teach you how to swing a censor.
Holy Cross will teach you where to go for a good deal on a censor!

Back when I thought I would be a good priest I thought I'd go to St. Tikhon's. One of our family friends used to teach there and was offered, and turned down, to be the new dean when the OCA made Fr. Michael a bishop.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yep, I know you had a good reason. And that's ok. :)

But you missed out!

(Actually as I remember the choir - myself included - was having a VERY off day when you were here, and I was just a tiny bit embarrassed - but I would've gotten over it. :D )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How's the old joke go?

Back when I thought I would be a good priest I thought I'd go to St. Tikhon's. One of our family friends used to teach there and was offered, and turned down, to be the new dean when the OCA made Fr. Michael a bishop.

haha, yep, that's the one

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Rather accurate, lol

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I had an old priest who hated that joke and threatened not to recommend me to the bishop if I ever told it again. :p (Not that I'm in the running anymore, of course.)

you would be surprised. folks come to seminary simply to learn more of the faith, and there are a lot of devoted laity that come out of seminary, so you never know....

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
you would be surprised. folks come to seminary simply to learn more of the faith, and there are a lot of devoted laity that come out of seminary, so you never know....
I would if I could. It would have to be close by and free or cheap ...

I don't need credentials for anything. But I'd LOVE to listen in.

There was a ministry school near me once. I went to their community's church services. They offered some classes free for quiet observers to sit in, and I enjoyed that very much. :)

Upvote 0