✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
http://robertreich.org/post/144763032115

This is a recent blog by former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich which has been picked up by various news sites.

He points out that although "Trump has been the object of even more unfavorable press than he was before – about his treatment of women, his propensity to lie, his bizarre policy proposals" he is pulling even with Hillary Clinton in recent polls.

Reich says that "Americans who feel like they’re being screwed are attracted to an authoritarian bully – a strongman who will kick ass."

"That most Americans don’t particularly like Trump is irrelevant."

"...in the new era of anti-politics Americans are skeptical of well-crafted speeches and detailed policy proposals. They prefer authenticity. They want their candidates unscripted and unfiltered."

The biggest handicap Clinton and most other candidates have is that they are part of the political establishment, according to Reich.

Reich closes his essay with this, something to think about when contemplating the future of America:

"Trump’s demagoguery – channeling the prejudices and fears of Americans who have been losing ground – makes him the most dangerous nominee of a major political party in American history."

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So, Americans want a loose cannon? Authenticity is great on a personal basis. We should all be authentic in our real lives. But a little more is expected from a president/leader of any country. Americans who vote for Trump, and want him to "kick ass" all over the world will find out the reality when they are isolated by the rest of the world. Unfortunately, those same people think that isolationism is a good idea, so ... no arguing with such people. Me/my family will only have to live under his reign for a few years, but I'm sorry for the rest of you.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, Americans want a loose cannon? Authenticity is great on a personal basis. We should all be authentic in our real lives. But a little more is expected from a president/leader of any country. Americans who vote for Trump, and want him to "kick ass" all over the world will find out the reality when they are isolated by the rest of the world. Unfortunately, those same people think that isolationism is a good idea, so ... no arguing with such people. Me/my family will only have to live under his reign for a few years, but I'm sorry for the rest of you.
Thanks, but I am one of those who may to live under his reign, but I have doubts about my and others' survival. One person Reich mentions in his article said that Trump would bring jobs back to America by taking production away from China. But Trump is a business man, whose mantra is profit, which means paying the least you can for products and services. So to take jobs away from China, or Mexico or Vietnam would not be in his field of vision. There is no way he wants to pay people more money, he is all about paying as little as possible. Many people are expecting his bluster to turn into action to help them...they will be sorely surprised at what he is likely to do instead. I get this queasy feeling thinking that we will be reliving 1933 (the German version, certainly not the American one). I sincerely hope that our democracy can survive it; I have serious doubts.

Also, I would not want any females in my family to be an intern or to work at a Trump White House. Trump is likely to make Bill Clinton look like a saint in that regard.

But keep in mind that we can't say "Americans want..." as not all Americans want Trump. My prayer is that a majority of voting Americans will come out of the "ether" in time to keep this bozo out of the White House.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I think this will come down to motivating voters more than anything. As there is a sizeable anti-Trump vote.

Unfortunately Clinton is often seen as a continuity candidate, which could make things difficult; If Trump can successfully paint Clinton as an establishment crook/liar/ETC, then doubly so...

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this will come down to motivating voters more than anything. As there is a sizeable anti-Trump vote.

Unfortunately Clinton is often seen as a continuity candidate, which could make things difficult; If Trump can successfully paint Clinton as an establishment crook/liar/ETC, then doubly so...
Just as Republicans were saying "anyone but Trump" I am sure there are Democrats who are saying "anyone but Clinton." I think it would have helped her today if she had jettisoned Bill a few years back...having him around is like dragging an anchor through the desert.

You are correct about views of Hillary. She is the establishment crook/liar, with bonafides AND baggage, while Trump is the anti-establishment crook/liar with his own baggage, but no bonafides.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
They prefer authenticity. They want their candidates unscripted and unfiltered."
We had a woman in Aussie politics about 20 years ago, who had similar appeal. It was fresh! Honest! But dangerously fascist!

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Just as Republicans were saying "anyone but Trump" I am sure there are Democrats who are saying "anyone but Clinton." I think it would have helped her today if she had jettisoned Bill a few years back...having him around is like dragging an anchor through the desert.

You are correct about views of Hillary. She is the establishment crook/liar, with bonafides AND baggage, while Trump is the anti-establishment crook/liar with his own baggage, but no bonafides.
All I can say is it seems too close for either side to be complacent.
While Clinton's weakness is unenthusiastic support for various reasons, Trump has no obvious weakness.

Most supporters support him seemingly because of his lack of experience and divisive views. Or in spite of them.
Maybe criticising him on his more ruthless and shady business practices would have more of an impact?
Hard to say really. Perhaps improving Clinton's image is far more important than reducing Trumps support.

Upvote 0