Revelation was written during Nero's reign before 70AD

May 15, 2013
✟9,060.00
Faith
Christian
Did you ever read the "scholars" who said the opposite?

Why rely on "scholars," who almost always deny the scriptures, when you can actually read the words of the writers for yourself?

Unlike you, I read all sides--from Hitchcock's to Chantry's. You see, I have no axe to grind in the matter, unlike you. That's what one does--one reads all sides and then tries to analyse which argument best accommodates the most evidence.

I do believe however that we should know what we are talking about when we make an argument one way or the other.

It is hardly surprising that you are so undiscerning in your readings--you make mistakes of interpretation simply reading my posts (i.e. assuming that because the Martyrdom of Ignatius appears to be a late work, that I must then think that the martyrdom of Ignatius occurred in the fifth century!).

Funny what you say about scholars after you appealed to a liberal trying to undermine the Bible simply because the evidence of the Muratorian Canon is otherwise inconvenient for you.

I told you before I would not spoon feed you. You have thrown away a good opportunity to learn something.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2013
✟9,060.00
Faith
Christian
Tertullian contradicts Eusebius, and your view, which states that John did not return until the reign of Nerva. {/quote]

Tertullian did not contradict this. He said something that Preterists interpret to mean that this cold not be true. That is an entirely different matter.

Tertullian plainly says that Domitian made a quick persecution of the Christians, and that he soon after ended his folly and restored the Christians from exile.

Eusebius' supposed general persecution of the Christians ended only with Domitian's death, and the exiles were restored in the reign of the next emperor, Nerva.

Yet you cannot see a contradiction here? Yes, you can see, you just can't admit it. That's why you now want to shift the discussion to a discussion of who the tyrant was, and why you resort to silly statements like "What you believe is iinsignificant" instead of answering the point! The game's up. You simply can't handle the evidence as it is in reality, and will do anything to avoid addressing it!

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟20,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Just off the top and winging it always trying not to learn but unlearn errors, John had lived and labored in and out of Ephesus since the days of the Jewish Wars, 70AD thing your all familiar with.

Domitian died in 96. Just off the top, this date makes it necessary to place the visions of Revelation in the year 95. I do remember that John was not exiled by the emperor himself - forgot the details, but can look them up. However there is nothing to prevent us from dating Revelation in the year 96, the actual year of Domitian's death.

John was released after Domitian's death, and died during Trajan's reign.

Just ol' old Jack

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Tertullian plainly says that Domitian made a quick persecution of the Christians, and that he soon after ended his folly and restored the Christians from exile.

Eusebius' supposed general persecution of the Christians ended only with Domitian's death, and the exiles were restored in the reign of the next emperor, Nerva.

Yet you cannot see a contradiction here? Yes, you can see, you just can't admit it. That's why you now want to shift the discussion to a discussion of who the tyrant was, and why you resort to silly statements like "What you believe is iinsignificant" instead of answering the point! The game's up. You simply can't handle the evidence as it is in reality, and will do anything to avoid addressing it!

The fact that, if Tertullian was right, Domitian restored some of those whom he had persecuted, does not mean he restored all of them. Tertullian did not say that he did that. So there is no contradiction. You pretend to be an advanced scholar of the subject. But here you reveal your ignorance. In the first place, your imagined contradiction is contrived. But even if it were real, anyone with even a slight familiarity with ancient writings knows that such contradictions between ancient sources are so common as to cause no surprise of any sort. Certainly not enough to accuse one of them of originating a fiction. It is, in fact, rare to find universal agreement among the ancient writers on any point whatsoever.

Further, Eusebius was not the origin of the claim that Domitian's exiles were restored upon his death. Lactantius and Clement, both of whom wrote before Eusebius, said the same.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Unlike you, I read all sides--from Hitchcock's to Chantry's. You see, I have no axe to grind in the matter, unlike you. That's what one does--one reads all sides and then tries to analyse which argument best accommodates the most evidence.

I do believe however that we should know what we are talking about when we make an argument one way or the other.

It is hardly surprising that you are so undiscerning in your readings--you make mistakes of interpretation simply reading my posts (i.e. assuming that because the Martyrdom of Ignatius appears to be a late work, that I must then think that the martyrdom of Ignatius occurred in the fifth century!).

Funny what you say about scholars after you appealed to a liberal trying to undermine the Bible simply because the evidence of the Muratorian Canon is otherwise inconvenient for you.

I told you before I would not spoon feed you. You have thrown away a good opportunity to learn something.

I, on the other hand, rather than taking the pablum offered by alleged "scholars," content myself with actually reading what the ancients themselves said.

As to the "liberal trying to undermine the Bible," I made no reference to hm at all. I pointed out the unquestionable fact that almost every source notes that some scholars question the early date of the Muratorian Canon.

The Muratorian fragment is believed to have been copied out in the seventh century, and the copy was unquestionably made by an ignorant person, for the Latin is very crude.

The testimony of an ignorant person who was translating a supposedly five hundred year old document is hardly persuasive as to the true wording of the original. It is akin to relying on a translation of a letter supposedly written by Christopher Columbus, when it is known that the translation was made by a first year student of the Italian language and when there is zero evidence, other than that translation, that the letter was ever even written.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 15, 2013
✟9,060.00
Faith
Christian
The fact that, if Tertullian was right, Domitian restored some of those whom he had persecuted, does not mean he restored all of them. Tertullian did not say that he did that. So there is no contradiction.
uh, he says that Domitian quickly ended the persecution and restored the exiles. Nothing about the persecution ending with Domitian's death, nothing about some of the exiles being left behind.

Yes, ancient sources differ, but we have Eusebius' sources, and since his sources don't support him, we know that he has confused a persecution of the church (short-lived) by Domitian with the latter's persecution of the Roman nobility--which included Christians (and this is the persecution referred to by Lactantius). Quite easy to do, and unlike with you, he didn't have someone like me to point this out to him. Had you read Edmundson like a good boy, you wouldn't have needed me to point these things out. But you don't want to do your homework do you?

Clement didn't mention Domitian--he said that after the death of the tyrant, John left Patmos and came to Ephesus, and began ordaining bishops in Asia. Domitian restored his exiles--so I guess that leaves only one other tyrant.

Like I said, you decide matters far, far too quickly. We haven't even began yet--such a shame it had to end so soon. So long. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AJCServant

Jul 2, 2013
"working in the harvest fields"
✟534.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
Hi all,
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for your efforts everyone, we are all learning and growing “into the grace and knowledge of the Lord” and need good mentor-teachers along the way, so I thank everyone for all their studious teaching efforts and prayer-seekings and encouragements in my/our behalf. [2 Peter 3:18][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As the readers might see from how I have written this thread, my focus has been to “repetitively” promote the simplicity of being a “fruitful” ambassador for Jesus' Kingdom, with the hope that some others would be encouraged to also “repetitively” “ask” for God's help to become even more “fruitful” themselves, as Jesus taught us to become,
[*] whenever we would seek to “obey” His simple commandment to love His Father God with “all” of one's (1st) heart, (2nd) understanding, (3rd) soul, and (4th) strength. [Mark 12:33 KJV] & [Deuteronomy 6:5] [*: Numbers 20:12 & Luke 12:45 & Luke 21:34]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]My focus for this thread is from having petitioned “our” Father God's oversight in order to mentor other good-believers, and also to be mentored myself, (as Timothy and the Bereans were mentored with God's help), in order that we may all be able to better fulfill 2Timothy 2:15-16 that says, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness. (ESV) (KJV) 16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Because any teachings by any fallible man, including this narrative, could unwittingly be flawed, all Christians should be as the Bereans in Acts 17:11, and should ask the Holy Spirit to guide them into the truth, and to discern doctrines that can be judged by their fruitfulness in strengthening Jesus' Kingdom while also encouraging loving-holiness towards God and “all” others. When the Book of Revelation, (and especially [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Revelation [/FONT]18:4), was written during Nero's reign it encouraged an exodus from Mystery Babylon prior to its impending destruction(s), similar to Nahum's writings that encouraged believers to flee Nineveh prior to its holocaust by the Babylonians, and similar to Jesus' teachings from The Book of Daniel that encouraged believers to flee Jerusalem prior to its holocaust in 70 AD. During Nero's reign The Book of Revelation encouraged an exodus from both Jerusalem and Rome since they both have seven hills and both had a history of martyring God's prophets. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Today Revelation continues to encourage believers to flee from all Mystery Babylon communities. These are idolatrous non-relational religious communities whose leadership would promote fruit destroying doctrines-of-men, that are materialistic-idolatrous, lascivious, or lustful; or that would teach the opposite of the truth concerning our Father God's immeasurable faith hope love and eternal efforts for “each” and “all” of His prodigal children; until Colossians 1:20 and 1John 3:8 would eventually be fulfilled, when “hopefully” “all” might eventually be reconciled back to His Kingdom in Heaven as a result of the cross of Christ Jesus. (1Peter 3:18-20) (Matthew 19:30, 20:16, Mark 10:31) These Mystery Babylon communities are especially evident when they martyr those who attempt to expose doctrines of men and devils for the thievery, death and destruction they cause within our world and to Jesus' Kingdom. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Scripture teaches that Jesus is continually praying throughout His leadership's siftings and chastenings, in order that they would be taught the importance of continually converting and mentoring others to pursue loving-holiness towards “all” while simultaneously resisting all evil, “if” they would pray to remain one of His chosen ambassadors into the eternity ahead of them. Because of the Savior's prayers His mighty angels are continuously fulfilling 2Chronicles 16:9 without any favoritism within any culture or lineage, until all of His children would have matured and 1Corinthians 13:8-10 and Revelation 21 would be fulfilled and seen in the earth. The results of Jesus' prayerful efforts would be that His children would have learned to work in concert with His Spirit to bring forth a best-case fulfillment of all apocalyptic “prophetic-scripture”, i.e. a best-case fulfillment of the Greek word katargeō in 1Corinthians 13:8, e.g. katargeō concerning Isaiah 17, Nahum 1:15c, Zephaniah 1:2,18c and 2:9. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]All the while the evil one, the devil Beelzebub, works to bring forth a worst-case fulfillment of all “prophetic-scripture,” by using the blasphemies, slanders, self-righteous bigotries, and Laodicean lethargy that all doctrines-of-men continually promote, whenever some wayward teachers have blindly used the Holy scriptures to multiply their sins towards God. As Paul was duped to do prior to His seeing Christ Jesus, and immediately he became a converted-universalist. Revelation 21 reveals that at the end of this age every hardened soul who would have continually refused to receive the Gospel of the Kingdom into their hearts are destined to be left behind when Jesus' joint-heirs would be evacuated; and these few evil souls would then suffer for ages whenever a near earth nova would again sterilize the earth for a lengthy season. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Similarly to how judgment upon Jerusalem and its Church there was able to be minimized via the efforts of Jesus' Church prior to 70AD, what is being accomplished in our generation is again in the hands of Jesus' Holy Church, much more than in the hands of God's Holy Angels who are mighty in power but limited in number. Because our Father God knows each of His children's fears and weaknesses, let us each pray that the Comforter would encourage God's ambassadors to be courageous and prudent, in order that they would pursue God's Holiness in a way that very soon the gates of hell will not prevail against the assaults by Jesus' Church. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Only then would our Father God be glorified to our uttermost, and His ambassadors would have prepared the earth for Jesus' to reveal His New Jerusalem as a Day-Star in the eastern sky amidst the clouds of Heaven, at which time His “mercy will have triumphed over judgments” to the Glory of God the Father. [James 2:13] (Mark 14:62; Habakkuk 2:14) (2Peter 1:4; Revelation 12:11, 21:27) [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]We are all in training to be a little more like Jesus every day, one day and one step at a time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Again, thank you everyone for your posts and prayers. They will eventually be fruitful towards everyone who might someday read this thread.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Shalom in Jesus,
A Servant of Jesus Christ
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]AJCServant [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]John 10&15&17 & Revelation 21[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AJCServant

Jul 2, 2013
✟534.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]<>PS There are several key scriptures that continually govern my thoughts, hopes and prayers for this thread, of which six are below that are posted in the hopes they would edify the seeker who would become like a Berean during Paul's day.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Timothy 3:16-17 All (Holy) scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may become perfect (mature), thoroughly furnished unto all good works.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Timothy[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 2:15-16 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]a workman that needeth not to be ashamed[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]rightly dividing the word of truth.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 16 But [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]shun[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ungodliness[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]. (KJV) (ESV) 16 But [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]avoid[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ungodliness[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Isaiah 29:13-14 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the doctrines-of-men: therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvelous work among this people, even a marvelous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]John[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 16:13-14 Howbeit when [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]the Spirit of truth[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], is come, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] will guide you into all truth[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]: for [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] shall not speak of [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Himself[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]; but whatsoever [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] shall hear, that shall [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] speak: and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] will shew you things to come[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] shall [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]glorify me[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]: for [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] shall receive of me, and shall shew it unto you.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]John[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 8:31-32 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]“If you [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]hold to my teaching[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], you are really my disciples. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]James 2:13 Because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful, (howbeit) mercy triumphs over judgment.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]<><> <><[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]PPS - Any further "edifying", "wholesome" and helpful comments anyone?[/FONT][/FONT]

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟20,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]<>PS There are several key scriptures that continually govern my thoughts, hopes and prayers for this thread, of which six are below that are posted in the hopes they would edify the seeker who would become like a Berean during Paul's day.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Timothy 3:16-17 All (Holy) scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may become perfect (mature), thoroughly furnished unto all good works.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Timothy[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 2:15-16 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]a workman that needeth not to be ashamed[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]rightly dividing the word of truth.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 16 But [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]shun[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ungodliness[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]. (KJV) (ESV) 16 But [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]avoid[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ungodliness[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Isaiah 29:13-14 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the doctrines-of-men: therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvelous work among this people, even a marvelous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]John[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 16:13-14 Howbeit when [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]the Spirit of truth[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], is come, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] will guide you into all truth[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]: for [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] shall not speak of [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Himself[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]; but whatsoever [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] shall hear, that shall [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] speak: and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] will shew you things to come[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] shall [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]glorify me[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]: for [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] shall receive of me, and shall shew it unto you.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]John[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 8:31-32 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]“If you [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]hold to my teaching[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], you are really my disciples. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]James 2:13 Because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful, (howbeit) mercy triumphs over judgment.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]PPS - Any further "edifying", "wholesome" and helpful comments anyone?[/FONT][/FONT]

Scriptures = original Autographs? Scriptures = Bible translations" Scriptures = ?

Just ol' old curious Jack

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AJCServant

Jul 2, 2013
✟534.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]PPPS - Within the last post the italicized [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]&#8220;doctrines-of-men&#8221; [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]in [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Isaiah[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 29:13-14 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]is a translation from the Douay-Rheims Bible, see biblehub.com, and the words in parenthesis have been added for clarity and/or are additional translations from the original text.

[/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Also, a seventh greatly-encouraging scripture for me is Isaiah 42:1-4 (KJV) that states: [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street. A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set ([/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]righteous[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]) judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AJCServant

Jul 2, 2013
✟534.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
And also from the NIV, 1 Corinthians 13:8-13 states:

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears (katarge&#333;). When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Where from the King James 1 Corinthians 13:8 is translated:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Charity never faileth: but whether [there-be] prophecies, they shall fail (katargeo); whether [there-be] tongues, they shall cease; whether [there-be] knowledge, it shall vanish away (i.e. fail - katargeo).

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ultimately our immeasurably-merciful Heavenly Father will be sovereign towards how He will choose to glorify himself to the uttermost in these last-days, and the Greek word [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]katargeo[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] is what was enlightened to me to remind me of His merciful-sovereignty towards "all" in His prodigal creation.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AJCServant

Jul 2, 2013
✟534.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hi all,

Within the previous post #128 it was noted that in addition to the straightforward admonitions to the seven churches for them to “wake-up” “return-to-God” and “to-endure-to-the-end”, John
gives another strong admonition to believers via Revelation 18:4 when he prophesies our Savior-God's imminent judgments with the words “And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, come out of her my people that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]When John's writings were first circulated, Revelation 18:4 was a similar admonition as that of Jesus' teaching from the Book of Daniel decades earlier, so that believers would flee both Jerusalem and Rome long before Jerusalem was surrounded at the end of seven years of war, which then resulted in the holocaust and diaspora of 70 AD.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Similarly to John's day the admonition of Revelation 18:4 is yet appropriate today as believers are also warned by 1Peter 4:17 with the words “For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Righteous “judgments” in our world will rapidly occur when Jesus' will suddenly reveal His glory throughout the whole earth as a Day-Star in the Eastern Sky. Yet before that day if more church-going Christians would “come-out” from various anti-christ organizations that promote “doctrines-of-men” that grieve the Holy Spirit's efforts to build up Jesus' inheritance in our world, or would promote excommunications that would hinder reconciling prodigals back to God, these organizations that have become apostate would either cease to exist and would cease from hindering God's work, or because of economics would change their leaders to those who would train ambassadors to “do” Jesus' Great Commission throughout the “whole” earth, which would then glorify our Creator God eternally.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]During our sojourn in this fallen world the works-of-man will someday be burnt-up during the next sterilization event, but as 2 Timothy 2:2 encourages we should all seek out other believers who we could make an eternal covenant with during our lifetimes. Jesus encourages all “believers” to work alongside other noble and virtuous men who would strive to be Holy and converted by daily “obeying” Jesus' simple commandments to love one's “neighbor” as oneself, and His Father God with “all” of one's heart, understanding, soul and strength.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It is only by “doing” Jesus' simple commands that our generation would build-up His inheritance in our world and we might then “glorify” our righteous Heavenly Father to our uttermost.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]We are all in training to be a little more like Jesus every day, one day and one step at a time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Again, thank you everyone for your posts and prayers. They will eventually be fruitful towards everyone who might someday read this thread.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Shalom in Jesus,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]A Servant of Jesus Christ[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]AJCServant [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]John 10&15&17 & Revelation 21[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mark 12:33 KJV -[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]And to love Him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Deuteronomy 6:5 KJV -[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hebrews 10:23-25 KJV -[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for He is faithful that promised; and let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Matthew 5:14-16 KJV -[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]<><> <><[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]PS - Any further "edifying", "wholesome" and helpful comments anyone?[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Upvote 0
B

Bible2

AJCServant said in post 133:

Within the previous post #128 it was noted that in addition to the straightforward admonitions to the seven churches for them to “wake-up” “return-to-God” and “to-endure-to-the-end”, John gives another strong admonition to believers via Revelation 18:4 when he prophesies our Savior-God's imminent judgments with the words “And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, come out of her my people that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.”

When John's writings were first circulated, Revelation 18:4 was a similar admonition as that of Jesus' teaching from the Book of Daniel decades earlier, so that believers would flee both Jerusalem and Rome long before Jerusalem was surrounded at the end of seven years of war, which then resulted in the holocaust and diaspora of 70 AD.

Are you saying that the destruction of Revelation's "Babylon" is the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD?

If so, note that while the corrupt aspects of first century Jerusalem (and of other cities) are included in what Revelation's symbolic "Babylon" (Revelation chapters 17-18) represents, it represents much more than just the corrupt aspects of first century Jerusalem. For first century Jerusalem just by itself didn't reign over the kings of the earth (Revelation 17:18). Nor was first century Jerusalem the only place where people bought merchandise (Revelation 18:11). Nor had first century Jerusalem just by itself corrupted the entire world (Revelation 18:3). Nor had first century Jerusalem been continuously supported by the empires of fallen man throughout history (Revelation 17:9-10). Instead, Revelation's symbolic "Babylon" represents all of mankind's corrupt political (Revelation 17:18), economic (Revelation 18:11), and religious (Revelation 18:24) systems throughout the earth (Revelation 18:3), and throughout history (Revelation 17:9-10).

In Revelation 11:8, the great city is Jerusalem, where Jesus was crucified. But in Revelation 21:10, the great city is New Jerusalem, which is now in heaven. And in Revelation 14:8, Revelation 17:18, and Revelation 18:10-21, the great city is the symbolic harlot/city of Babylon. When it's destroyed, it will be found no more at all (Revelation 18:21), forever (Revelation 19:3), unlike Jerusalem, which was found again after its only-temporary destruction in 70 AD.

The 10 kings of the Antichrist's empire will destroy with fire what Revelation's "Babylon" represents (Revelation 17:16-17) when they destroy the cities of the earth (Revelation 16:19), probably with nukes (and probably with Fission-Fusion-Fission, "FFF", or "666", nukes, "F" representing the number six in English gematria), at the time of the 7th vial (Revelation 16:17,19), which will be the final event (Revelation 16:17) of the future tribulation of Revelation chapters 6 to 18 and Matthew 24, right before Jesus' 2nd coming (Revelation 19:2 to 20:6, Matthew 24:29-31). They could do this under the direction of Lucifer/Satan (Isaiah 14:17,12), who could want to leave only a literal "scorched earth" for Jesus to return to.

Near the very end of the future tribulation, Lucifer (employing the ancient lies of Gnosticism) could say to the Antichrist and his 10 kings something like: "Our great battle against the evil, tyrant god YHWH is about to begin [Revelation 16:14, Revelation 19:19], a battle which we will win, and so we will be able to escape YHWH's prison house, this material universe, and return to the wholly-spiritual Pleroma [i.e. Heaven]. So let us now destroy this prison cell, this foul planet, and let us, as it were, burn up all the gewgaws which we have hung upon our cell walls. Let us burn up all our great cities, all our magnificent systems. Let us break all our chains of attachment to this vile physical realm, that we might more freely ascend back to our rightful place in the Pleroma [Isaiah 14:13-14]".

Of course this will be a lie. For at his 2nd coming, Jesus (who is YHWH: John 10:30, Zechariah 14:3-4) will completely defeat the world's armies, arrayed against YHWH (Revelation 16:14, Revelation 19:19-21). And Jesus will have Lucifer bound in the bottomless pit during the subsequent 1,000 years (Revelation 20:1-6, Isaiah 14:15). And Jesus will restore ruined parts of the earth and make them like the Garden of Eden (Ezekiel 36:35, Isaiah 51:3). And after the 1,000 years and subsequent events are over (Revelation 20:7-15), God will create a new heaven (a new first heaven, a new sky/atmosphere for the earth) and a new earth (a new surface for the earth) (Revelation 21:1). And then God will descend from the 3rd heaven in the literal city of New Jerusalem, to live with saved humanity on the new earth (Revelation 21:2-4).

When John's writings were first circulated, Revelation 18:4 was a similar admonition as that of Jesus' teaching from the Book of Daniel decades earlier, so that believers would flee both Jerusalem and Rome long before Jerusalem was surrounded at the end of seven years of war, which then resulted in the holocaust and diaspora of 70 AD.

Just as Revelation's "Babylon" represents much more than just first century Jerusalem, so Revelation's beast represents much more than just the ancient Roman empire. For the 7 heads of the beast in its empire aspect (Revelation 13:1, Revelation 17:3) represent 7 different empires (Revelation 17:9-10): Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, Rome, and (possibly) Islam. The first 5 had fallen by the time of John the apostle in the first century AD: "five are fallen" (Revelation 17:10, Revelation 1:1b-2). The 6th (Rome) existed at the time of John: "one is" (Revelation 17:10). The 7th (possibly Islam) hadn't come by the time of John: "the other is not yet come" (Revelation 17:10). The empire of the Antichrist (the individual-man aspect of the beast) will be a different, still-future, 8th head (Revelation 17:11), which will be a revival of one of the 5 empires that had fallen by the time of John (Revelation 17:8,10,11). It will be a revival of the empire of Babylon. The Antichrist will transform the present-day, rebuilt city of Babylon (in Iraq) into the capital of his world empire, only to see his city of Babylon ultimately destroyed at Jesus' 2nd coming (Isaiah 13).

Before the 2nd coming, when the world is brought into the worship of Lucifer (the dragon, Satan) and the Antichrist, during the Antichrist's future, literal 3.5-year worldwide reign (Revelation 13:4-18, Revelation 12:9), the Antichrist will build their main temple in the city of Babylon. For a temple to "wickedness" will be built in Shinar (Babylonia) (Zechariah 5:8,11), and the Antichrist is called "that Wicked" (2 Thessalonians 2:8). Also, the dragon has been the god worshipped in the city of Babylon since ancient times.

The Antichrist may claim to be Nebuchadnezzar returned, and so reinstitute the system that Nebuchadnezzar set up whereby everyone had to worship an image or be killed (Daniel 3, Revelation 13:15). The Antichrist may also claim to be, at the same time, the return of Nimrod (the founder of Babylon: Genesis 10:8-10), and Hammurabi, and Asoka, and other famous rulers of the past. For he may claim that he has had many different "past lives" as various "enlightened" rulers.

Besides building a main temple in Babylon, the Antichrist will also sit (at least one time) in a future, 3rd Jewish temple in Jerusalem, and declare himself God there (2 Thessalonians 2:4, Daniel 11:36,31, Matthew 24:15, Revelation 11:1-2). The Antichrist could also sit (at least one time) in other religions' holiest shrines, and declare himself to be God there as well. For example, he could also sit in Islam's Kaaba in Mecca, in the Sikhs' Golden Temple in Amritsar, in Catholicism's St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican, etc.

Regarding fleeing from "Judaea" (Matthew 24:16), note that this doesn't have to mean first century Judaea. For there are many churches in Judaea (southern Israel) still today. They contain mostly Gentile believers, not just Jewish believers. The church began and has always been in Judaea: "Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea" (Acts 9:31); "the churches of Judaea" (Galatians 1:22); "the churches... in Judaea" (1 Thessalonians 2:14). Matthew 24:16 refers to those in the church, both Gentiles and Jews, who will be living in Judaea at the future point in time when the abomination of desolation (possibly a standing, android image of the Antichrist) is set up in the holy place (the inner sanctum) of a 3rd Jewish temple in Jerusalem (Matthew 24:15, Daniel 11:31).

The Antichrist's persecution of the church could begin in Jerusalem and Judaea right after the abomination of desolation is set up and the Antichrist himself sits in the temple and proclaims himself God (2 Thessalonians 2:4, Daniel 11:36). So to avoid this persecution (cf. Matthew 10:23a), those in the church living in Judaea should flee immediately after they see the abomination of desolation set up (Matthew 24:15-16), which event could occur at the midpoint of the future tribulation of Revelation chapters 6 to 18 and Matthew 24, and which event could mark the start of the Antichrist's future, literal 3.5-year worldwide reign (Revelation 13:4-18). Eventually, the Antichrist's persecution of the church will reach every nation of the earth (Revelation 13:7-10, Revelation 14:12-13, Revelation 20:4-6, Matthew 24:9-13), so that the basic principle of Matthew 24:16 of fleeing (the Antichrist's persecution) would apply to believers around the world.

Just as the woman in Revelation 12:6 represents many different people in the church around the world, so the protected wilderness place she flees to represents many different protected wilderness places around the world. When those in the church living in Judaea see the abomination of desolation set up, they should flee into places in the wilderness east of Judaea, the mountains (Matthew 24:16) of Jordan. And those in the church who will be living in places in the world other than Judaea should flee into other wilderness places, mountainous places (Ezekiel 7:16), in the regions of the world where they live.

And they should have prepared beforehand hideouts in these wilderness/mountain places, hideouts already fully stocked with all of the emergency supplies of food, water, warm clothing, etc., that they and their families and fellow Christians will need to survive (1 Timothy 5:8, Matthew 24:45-46, cf. Genesis 41:48,36, Genesis 45:7) until Jesus returns, possibly on the 1,335th day after the abomination of desolation is set up (Daniel 12:11-12, Revelation 16:15). For they shouldn't carry any supplies with them when they flee (Matthew 24:17-18). They should flee as unhindered and quickly as possible, knowing that when the abomination of desolation is set up, that could signal the beginning of the Antichrist's future, literal 3.5-year Luciferian (Satanic) worldwide reign of terror (Revelation 13:4-18, Revelation 12:9), when he will be given power to make war against all those in the church that he can get his hands on, and to physically overcome them and kill them (by beheading) in every nation (Revelation 13:7-10, Revelation 14:12-13, Revelation 20:4-6, Matthew 24:9-13).

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Regarding fleeing from "Judaea" (Matthew 24:16), note that this doesn't have to mean first century Judaea. For there are many churches in Judaea (southern Israel) still today. They contain mostly Gentile believers, not just Jewish believers. The church began and has always been in Judaea: "Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea" (Acts 9:31); "the churches of Judaea" (Galatians 1:22); "the churches... in Judaea" (1 Thessalonians 2:14). Matthew 24:16 refers to those in the church, both Gentiles and Jews, who will be living in Judaea at the future point in time when the abomination of desolation (possibly a standing, android image of the Antichrist) is set up in the holy place (the inner sanctum) of a 3rd Jewish temple in Jerusalem (Matthew 24:15, Daniel 11:31).

Why then would it be a problem if these gentile believers had to flee on the sabbath?
Or if they were pregnant or nursing?

Couldn't you just load up the SUV with the baby seat, some canned soup and blankets and split town? Pregnant, on the sabbath, in winter - or not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

Bible2

parousia70 said in post 135:

Why then would it be a problem if these gentile believers had to flee on the sabbath?

Note that Matthew 24:20 doesn't refer to the letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law sabbath being in effect at the time Matthew 24:20 is fulfilled. And the parallel verse in Mark 13:18 doesn't mention the sabbath, for some Christians choose to keep the sabbath, while others choose not to keep it (Romans 14:5). The letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law sabbath hasn't been in effect since Jesus' Cross, when, for both Jews and Gentiles (John 11:51-52), of all times, the letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law was abolished (Ephesians 2:15-16, Colossians 2:14-17; 2 Corinthians 3:6-18), disannulled (Hebrews 7:18), rendered obsolete (Hebrews 8:13, Galatians 3:2-25, Galatians 4:21 to 5:8), taken away and replaced (Hebrews 10:9) by the better hope (Hebrews 7:19), the better covenant (Hebrews 7:22, Hebrews 8:6-12), the 2nd covenant (Hebrews 8:7, Hebrews 10:9), of Jesus' New Covenant law (Galatians 6:2, John 1:17, Matthew 26:28, Hebrews 12:24, Hebrews 9:15), so that the law was changed (Hebrews 7:12).

All believers, both Jews and Gentles, of all times, are delivered from the letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law and shouldn't keep it (Romans 7:6; 2 Corinthians 3:6-18, Galatians 2:11-21) or have any desire to keep it (Galatians 4:21 to 5:8, Galatians 3:2-25). Believers keep the spirit of the Old Covenant Mosaic law (Romans 7:6) by loving others (Galatians 5:14, Romans 13:8-10), by doing to others as they would have others do to them (Matthew 7:12).

The New Covenant is a new law (Hebrews 7:12,18,19, Hebrews 10:1-23), consisting of Jesus' New Covenant/New Testament commandments (John 14:15), such as those he gave in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:19 to 7:29) and in the epistles of Paul the apostle (1 Corinthians 14:37). These commandments exceed in righteousness the abolished letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law (Matthew 5:20-48). So there's no reason why any believer should ever want to go back under the letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law (Galatians 3:2 to 5:26). It was just a temporary schoolmaster (Galatians 3:24-25), a temporary shadow (Colossians 2:16-17), which God set up because of sins long after he'd set up the original promise of the Abrahamic Covenant, and long before he brought that promise to fulfillment in Jesus' New Covenant (Galatians 3:16-29, Matthew 26:28).

The letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law has been made obsolete by the New Covenant (Hebrews 8:13). For example, the letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law required an Aaronic priesthood (Exodus 30:30), whereas the New Covenant replaced the Aaronic priesthood with the Melchisedechian priesthood (Hebrews 7:11-28). Also, the letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law required animal sacrifices (e.g. Leviticus 23:19), whereas the New Covenant replaced those with the one-time sacrifice of Jesus (Hebrews 10).

The letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law is the Hagar to the New Covenant's Sarah (Galatians 4:22-25), so that those people, whether Jews or Gentiles, who try to keep the letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law are like Ishmael, while those people, whether Jews or Gentiles, who keep the New Covenant are like Isaac (Galatians 4:22-31).

The letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law (including the letter of the 10 commandments), written and engraven in stones (2 Corinthians 3:7, Deuteronomy 4:13, Deuteronomy 27:8), was the ministration of death and condemnation (2 Corinthians 3:7,9). For example, see Leviticus 20:10, Exodus 31:14, and Numbers 15:32-36; and contrast these with the New Covenant's John 8:4-11 and Matthew 12:1-8. The letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law has been done away (2 Corinthians 3:11), abolished (2 Corinthians 3:13b). But it's still able to spiritually blind some people as with a veil from beholding Jesus (2 Corinthians 3:14-16), whereas the New Covenant is the ministration of the spirit and righteousness (2 Corinthians 3:6,8,9b), which remains (2 Corinthians 3:11b), and which permits believers to remove the veil and to behold Jesus (2 Corinthians 3:16-18, Mark 15:38, Hebrews 7:18-19, Ephesians 2:15-18, Colossians 2:14-17).

But a mistaken spirit of Pharisaism can still sometimes deceive even Christians into thinking that they must keep the letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law in order to be saved (Acts 15:1,5), or in order to become perfect (Galatians 3:2 to 5:26). This is a false, cursed gospel (Galatians 1:6-9). For if any believers are keeping any part of the letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law, thinking that they must do so in order to be saved, or in order to become perfect, then Jesus will profit them nothing; they have fallen from grace (Galatians 5:2-8).

parousia70 said in post 135:

Or if they were pregnant or nursing?

Couldn't you just load up the SUV with the baby seat, some canned soup and blankets and split town? Pregnant, on the sabbath, in winter - or not?

Note that even today most inhabitants of Jerusalem and Judaea (southern Israel) might not own a car, much less an SUV.

Also, it would be impossible to pack 1,335 days of supplies (much less an enduring shelter) even into an SUV, anywhere in the world.

Daniel 12:11-12 and Revelation 16:15 could mean that 1,335 literal days after the abomination of desolation (possibly a standing, android image of the Antichrist) is set up in the holy place (the inner sanctum) of a 3rd Jewish temple in Jerusalem (Matthew 24:15, Daniel 11:31), Jesus' 2nd coming will occur, and blessed are those believers who wait and remain obedient until that day. If the literal 1,260 days of the Antichrist's worldwide reign (Revelation 13:5-8, Revelation 12:6) will begin when the abomination of desolation is set up, and if the 7 vials of God's wrath will begin on the day after the 1,260 days of the Antichrist's worldwide reign (Revelation 11:15,19, Revelation 15:5 to 16:1), and if the first 6 vials will be poured out over 30 days, then the 6th vial could be poured out on the 1,290th day after the abomination of desolation is set up (Daniel 12:11).

It's on this 1,290th day that the blessing of Daniel 12:12 and Revelation 16:15 could be given, after the 6th vial has been poured out (Revelation 16:12), encouraging those in the church who will still be alive on the earth at that time to keep holding on just 45 more days until Jesus' 2nd coming on the 1,335th day. The 45 days could be taken up by the gathering together of the world's armies to Armageddon (Revelation 16:14,16) (Har Megiddo: Mount Megiddo in northern Israel) and then their moving south to pillage Jerusalem, right before Jesus' 2nd coming and their total defeat (Zechariah 14:2-21, Revelation 19:19-21).

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In my earlier comments I was unable to respond to the claims that the Muratorian Canon, or the Muratorian Fragment, as it is sometimes called, proves that the Revelation was written before the epistles of Paul. I have since that time been able to properly research this claim.

The Muratorian Fragment is a seventh or eighth century manuscript that was written by an ignorant and careless scribe, whom the noted textural critic Wescott accused of being "either unable or unwilling to understand the work which he was copying, and yet given to arbitrary alteration of the text before him." ("A General Survey of the History of the Canon of the New Testament," by Brooke Foss Wescott, D.D., fourth ed., London, Cambridge University Press, 1875, pg. 523.)

About a third of this document is reproduced in an eleventh century book on the Epistles of Paul. Three eleventh century and one twevleth century copies of this book have been found. But the portion of the Muratorian Fragment that supposedly dates it to the second century is not included in the later copies.

So the entire basis of claiming that this was even an early document is a single sheet copied out six or seven hundred years after the Revelation was written, by a careless and ignorant scribe "either unable or unwilling to understand the work which he was copying, and yet given to arbitrary alteration of the text before him."

Upvote 0

precepts

Aug 20, 2008
United States Virgin Islands
✟24,096.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
AJCServant,

I didn't read thru the entire thread, but I read your opening statement and found two flaws in your argument. Eventhough your theory is correct in that the book of Revelation was written in 68 ad, Julius Caesar was never an Emperor. Augustus was Rome's 1st Emperor and Nero was the 5th. His death is what sparked the Roman historical era of the "yr of 4 emperors," a yr of civil war, 68-69 ad, Christ's prophecy of wars and rumours of war.

The second flaw is Nero's name equaling 666. The scriptures warn of accepting the mark, the name, or the number of the Beast's name; which by the way, was the name Josephus (and all others) had to adopt to become Roman citizens in Titus Flavius Vespasianus' time, the Beast, the scriptural 8th, the historical 9th Roman Emperor.

Flavius' antichrist prophecies:
http://www.livius.org/men-mh/messiah/messianic_claimants13.html
http://carrington-arts.com/cliff/FlavSyn.htm

The name of the Beast doesn't add up to 666 as most think. The key to understanding the number of his name is scriptures. The 4 Euphrates river angels, and I stress 4 angels, numbered 200 million. Each angel is a host of 50 million entities each. The Beast is a host of 666 entities, but is still one entity.

This is the reason for Israel acting and responding as one man to God in their actions and replies. Each angel is a host, an army. The book of Numbers chpt 1 is what helped me to understand the number of the Beast's name because of the similar wording to Revelation's.

I hope you can recieve this message.

Upvote 0
B

Bible2

precepts said in post 138:

The name of the Beast doesn't add up to 666 as most think.

Actually, it does. For the "666" in Revelation 13:17c-18 refers to the number six hundred and sixty-six, the number of the name of the individual man who is the Antichrist (the individual-man aspect of the beast). The number of a name (Revelation 13:17c-18, Revelation 15:2) is determined by employing the ancient method of gematria, by which numerical values are assigned to the letters of any alphabet as follows: the first nine letters are 1 through 9, the next nine letters are 10 through 90 (counting by tens), and the rest of the letters are 100, 200, 300, etc., to the end of the alphabet. In Revelation 13:18, the "counting", the adding up, of the gematrial number of the Antichrist's name should be done in the same way that the gematrial numerical values of the 3 Greek letters (Chi, Xi, and Stigma) at the end of Revelation 13:18 (in the original Greek Textus Receptus) are added up to arrive at the number six hundred and sixty-six.

The numerical values of the letters of the ancient Greek alphabet (including the 3 obsolete letters of Stigma, Qoppa, and Sampi) were as follows: Alpha = 1, Beta = 2, Gamma = 3, Delta = 4, Epsilon = 5, Stigma = 6, Zeta = 7, Eta = 8, Theta = 9, Iota = 10, Kappa = 20, Lambda = 30, Mu = 40, Nu = 50, Xi = 60, Omikron = 70, Pi = 80, Qoppa = 90, Rho = 100, Sigma = 200, Tau = 300, Upsilon = 400, Phi = 500, Chi = 600, Psi = 700, Omega = 800, Sampi = 900.

Just as the numerical values of Chi, Xi, and Stigma at the end of Revelation 13:18 (in the Textus Receptus) add up to 666, so the numerical values of the letters in the Antichrist's name will add up to 666 (Revelation 13:17c-18). John used the Greek alphabet because it was the most common one used by believers when the book of Revelation was written. Today, the English alphabet is the most common one used by believers, insofar as English is the current lingua franca of the world. So the Antichrist's name will most likely add up to 666 in the English alphabet. The purpose of Revelation 13:17c-18 is to facilitate for believers, not to make difficult for them, the identification of a certain man as possibly being the Antichrist. If the letters in his name had to be transliterated into the Greek alphabet, this would vitiate this purpose, for almost all believers today wouldn't know how to properly perform this transliteration, and so different believers would come up with different transliterations, and so would come up with different gematrial numbers for the name of the man in question.

If believers think that someone is the Antichrist, they need to check and make sure that his name adds up to 666 in gematria (Revelation 13:17c-18). If it doesn't, then he isn't the Antichrist. If it does, then he could be, and they need to be especially wary of him and not be taken in by any deceptive charisma, intelligence, or amazing deeds that he might display. But even if someone's name adds up to 666, this doesn't mean that he's definitely the Antichrist. For just by chance there could be more than one person in the world whose name adds up to 666. The Antichrist also has to come from a country the territory of which used to be part of one of the 4 Diadochian Greek kingdoms which succeeded Alexander the Great (Daniel 8:8-9,21-25). These kingdoms stretched from Greece over to Iran, and down into Egypt. So the Antichrist could come from the Middle East. He could be an Arab who will come from Lebanon, from the modern city of Tyre (Ezekiel 28:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:4), and have a name like (for example) "Nabil Abdullah Falakal al-Hakim", which adds up to 666.

But if a man from the Middle East has a name which adds up to 666, even this doesn't assure that he's the Antichrist. For he also has to sit (at least one time) in a 3rd Jewish temple in Jerusalem and proclaim himself God (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4, Daniel 11:31,36, Matthew 24:15, Revelation 11:1-2). Once he does that, there won't be any room for doubt over whether or not he's the Antichrist; his identity will have been definitely revealed (2 Thessalonians 2:3b-4).

The gematrial numerical values of the letters of the English alphabet are: A=1, B=2, C=3, D=4, E=5, F=6, G=7, H=8, I=9, J=10, K=20, L=30, M=40, N=50, O=60, P=70, Q=80, R=90, S=100, T=200, U=300, V=400, W=500, X=600, Y=700, Z=800. The way that the gematrial number of a name is "counted" (Revelation 13:17c-18), is added up, is simply by adding up the gematrial numerical values of all the letters in that name. So, for example, the number of the name "John Mark Smith" is 636, because: J=10, O=60, H=8, N=50, M=40, A=1, R=90, K=20, S=100, M=40, I=9, T=200, H=8. Total = 636. The Antichrist's name will add up to 666 (Revelation 13:17c-18).

The second flaw is Nero's name equaling 666.

Regarding the claim (made by some) that Nero's name in Hebrew added up to 666 (Revelation 13:17c-18), is there an ancient historical source which shows how "Nero Caesar" was usually transliterated into Hebrew at the time that Revelation was written, so we can confirm whether or not the usual Hebrew transliteration of "Nero Caesar" added up to 666 in Hebrew gematria, instead of an intentionally-altered Hebrew spelling? For example, why was an "n" added after "Nero", to make "Neron"; and why was the "ae" of "Caesar" skipped to make "Csar", when, for example, the "ae" in "Israel" gets at least an "aleph" in Hebrew? Could "Neron Csar" in fact be an intentionally-altered, never-actually-used spelling that adds up to 666, just as people today could intentionally mistransliterate into Hebrew the name of someone living today so that the mistransliterated name adds up to 666 in Hebrew gematria? Also, just by chance there could be more than one person in the world whose name adds up to 666. So even if it could be proven that the usual Hebrew spelling of "Nero Caesar" added up to 666, or that the usual spelling of the name of someone living today adds up to 666, this doesn't require that that person is the Antichrist.

Also, should we even assume that the Antichrist's name has to be transliterated into Hebrew for it to add up to 666? For Revelation was originally addressed to Greek-speaking Gentile churches in the Roman province of "Asia" (Revelation 1:11) (what's now western Turkey), not to Hebrew-speaking Jewish churches in Judaea. And John the apostle used 3 letters from the Greek alphabet to express the number 666 in Revelation 13:18 (in the original Greek Textus Receptus), not any letters from the Hebrew alphabet. (But this doesn't require that the Antichrist's name has to be transliterated into Greek in order for it to add up to 666, for John used the Greek alphabet only because it was the most common one used by the believers he was addressing at the time Revelation was written.) Also, even when "Nero Caesar" (instead of "Neron Csar") is transliterated into Hebrew, it doesn't have to result in the name adding up to 666:

N - Nun = 50 (cf. the "Ne" in "Nebo" in the Hebrew of Num. 32:3: Nun for the "N" and nothing for the "e")
E /
R - Reysh = 200
O - Vav = 6 (cf. the "o" in "Nebo" in the Hebrew of Num. 32:3 being the letter Vav)

C - Qowph = 100 (cf. "Kareah" in the Hebrew of Jer. 40:8, & "Caesar" being "Kaisar" in the Greek of Mt. 22:17)
A - Aleph = 1 (cf. the "ae" in "Israel" in the Hebrew of Gen. 32:28: Aleph for the "a" and nothing for the "e")
E /
S - Samek = 60 (cf. the "sar" in "Ellasar" in the Hebrew of Gen. 14:1: Samek for the "s" & nothing for the "a")
A /
R - Reysh = 200

Total = 617

-

Also, any mistaken teaching which claims that the Antichrist has already come and gone could be employed in the future by the real Antichrist to fool some Christians into thinking that he isn't the Antichrist.

Nero didn't fulfill the detailed references to the Antichrist (the individual-man aspect of the beast) in Revelation 13:4-18, Revelation 16:2-16, Revelation 19:19-21, and Revelation 20:4. Also, Nero didn't fulfill other prophecies regarding the Antichrist (e.g. 2 Thessalonians 2:3-9, Daniel 11:31,36; cf. Matthew 24:15). And John the apostle didn't see the vision of Revelation until decades after the time of Nero. For Irenaeus (born c. 140 AD) said: "We will not, however, incur the risk of pronouncing positively as to the name of Antichrist; for if it were necessary that his name should be distinctly revealed in this present time, it would have been announced by him [John] who beheld the apocalyptic vision [Revelation]. For that was seen no very long time since, but almost in our day, towards the end of Domitian's reign" (Against Heresies 5:30:3c). The end of Domitian's reign was 96 AD. Nero's reign was 54-68 AD. The detailed prophecies regarding the Antichrist, just as the rest of the tribulation prophecies of Revelation chapters 6 to 18 and Matthew 24, have never been fulfilled.

Upvote 0
B

Bible2

The scriptures warn of accepting the mark, the name, or the number of the Beast's name; which by the way, was the name Josephus (and all others) had to adopt to become Roman citizens in Titus Flavius Vespasianus' time, the Beast, the scriptural 8th, the historical 9th Roman Emperor.

Are you saying that the mark of the beast is received by people adding a name to their name? If so, note that the "mark of the beast" (Revelation 13:16-17, Revelation 16:2) will be a literal, physical mark which will be visible to people, because the original Greek of Revelation 13:16 shows that the mark will be placed on people's right hands or foreheads. Also, it will be placed on people probably by scarification. For in Revelation 13:16, one of the definitions of the original Greek word (charagma, G5480) translated as the "mark" is "a scratch or etching" (Strong's Greek Dictionary), and scarification is the scratching or etching (i.e. the cutting) of the skin to leave a permanent mark. The reason people will be given the mark in Revelation 13:16, in the context of what had been shown just previously in Revelation 13:4,8,15, will be to serve as a visible indicator to other people that they're loyal worshippers of Lucifer (the dragon, Satan) (Revelation 13:4, Revelation 12:9) and of the Antichrist (the individual-man aspect of the beast) and his image (Revelation 13:4,8,15), just as some Luciferians today put a mark on themselves by scarification.

The mark will consist of only the Antichrist's name "or" some representation of the gematrial number of his name (666) (Revelation 13:17-18), meaning that the mark will be the Antichrist's name for some people and a representation of the gematrial number of his name for other people. And the mark will be placed only on the right hand (probably on the palm) "or" on the forehead (Revelation 13:16), meaning that it will be placed on the right hand of some people and on the forehead of other people.

Those who refuse to receive the Antichrist's mark won't be allowed to buy or sell anything (Revelation 13:17), and they will be executed by being beheaded if they refuse to worship the Antichrist and his image (Revelation 13:15, Revelation 20:4). Christians must be willing to suffer this fate rather than agree to receive the Antichrist's mark or worship him or his image, for those who agree to do those things (even if they're Christians) will suffer God's wrath in fire and brimstone forever (Revelation 14:9-13), whereas those Christians who refuse to do those things, even though they will be beheaded, will subsequently be physically resurrected into immortality (along with the rest of the obedient church of all times) at Jesus' 2nd coming (Revelation 20:4-6; 1 Corinthians 15:21-23,52-58). And even before their resurrection, at the moment of their death, their still-conscious souls will be brought into the presence of Jesus in heaven (cf. 2 Corinthians 5:8, Philippians 1:21,23, Revelation 6:9-10, Luke 23:43,46).

In the future, when the world begins to worship the Antichrist as God (Revelation 13:8; 2 Thessalonians 2:4, Daniel 11:36), some people could gladly be willing to have his name placed by scarification on their right palm, just as lovers in the past were sometimes known to have their loved ones' initials placed by scarification on their palm (cf. also Isaiah 49:16, Jeremiah 48:37, Leviticus 19:28, Leviticus 21:5). Other of the Antichrist's worshippers could gladly be willing to have his name placed by scarification on their forehead, thinking (mistakenly) that they're fulfilling the Christian idea of Revelation 22:4, which refers to the future point in time when Jesus will put God's name visibly on the forehead of obedient Christians (Revelation 3:12). The Antichrist's miracle-working False Prophet, who will be the one to cause everyone to be marked with the Antichrist's mark (Revelation 13:16-18), could even convince people that he (the False Prophet) is Jesus returned (but he won't say that he's the Christ, for he and the Antichrist will deny that Jesus is the Christ, and will deny that Christ is in the flesh: 1 John 2:22; 2 John 1:7).

Instead of having the Antichrist's name engraved on their right hand or forehead, some of his worshippers will have the gematrial number of his name (666) (Revelation 13:17c-18) engraved on their right hand or forehead. But because some people could refuse to have "666" placed on their body, in order to make a mark of 666 acceptable to all people, it could be disguised to look like something else in those cases where people demand something other than "666". For example, it could be disguised in some cases to look like "777", or "111", or "WWW", or "VVV", or "|| || ||", or "FFF". For the 6th letter of the ancient Hebrew alphabet (Vav) represents the number 6, but it looks like a "7", or a "1", and it's transliterated into English as either a "W" or a "V". Also, two thin vertical lines "||" represent the number 6 on many UPC codes. And the letter "F" has a numerical value of 6 in English gematria.

In an awful coincidence (or maybe it's not just a coincidence), "FFF" also stands for an extremely powerful type of nuclear bomb: Fission-Fusion-Fission. Could this be the type of bomb which the 10 kings of the Antichrist's empire will employ to burn up the cities of the world at the end of the future tribulation of Revelation chapters 6 to 18 and Matthew 24 (Revelation 17:12,16,17a, Revelation 16:19, Revelation 19:2,11)?

The "WWW" which has been placed on many web addresses, and the "|| || ||" which has been placed across many UPC codes on products (i.e. they have a "||" at the beginning, middle, and end of their UPC codes), are harbingers of when Lucifer will give the Antichrist ownership of everything on the earth (Revelation 13:2b; cf. Luke 4:7), and of the Antichrist placing his "brand" on everything, like a rancher places his "brand" on all his cattle. For both "WWW" and "|| || ||" are disguised representations of the gematrial number of the Antichrist's name: 666 (Revelation 13:17c-18). But Revelation 13:16 isn't fulfilled by some web addresses having "WWW", nor by some products having "|| || ||" on their UPC codes, for Revelation 13:16 refers only to when people will be given the Antichrist's mark, on either their right hand or forehead.

Those assigned to have the mark placed on their forehead (instead of on their right hand) (Revelation 13:16) could be an elite, illumined, cognoscenti class of Gnostic Luciferians who alone will have been given knowledge of the ultimate secrets of the Antichrist's Gnostic Luciferianism. The Antichrist will be both a Luciferian, a worshipper of Lucifer/Satan the dragon (Revelation 13:4, Revelation 12:9), and a Gnostic, someone who denies that Christ is in the flesh (1 John 4:3), and forbids marriage and the eating of meat (1 Timothy 4:1-3). The cream of his cognoscenti could be a faux 144,000, consisting of male virgins (as a counterfeit of Revelation 14:4) who have never eaten meat. If they receive on their forehead the mark of the Antichrist's name (instead of a representation of the number of his name) (Revelation 13:17), this will be as a counterfeit of YHWH's 144,000 in Revelation 14:1. But the Antichrist won't pretend that he's YHWH, just as he won't pretend that he's Christ. Instead, as a Gnostic, he will utterly revile YHWH (Revelation 13:6, Daniel 11:36). And his Gnostic denial that Christ is in the flesh (1 John 4:3) will disqualify him (under his mistaken Gnostic doctrine) from being the Christ.

Upvote 0