Resistance to the Doctrines of Grace

Feb 13, 2013
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is actually my first post to the site. I was looking to join a message board for some support and to grow. I have been brought up in the Independent Fundamental Baptist movement. Since then I have left that movement because of rules and the oppressive atmosphere. Everything seems fine in these churches until you question any little belief they have.

A big part of the IFB movement is King James Only teaching. From studying this false teaching I was introduced to James White. He is a Reformed Baptist. Through listening to his teaching on King James Onlyism I realized he believes in Calvinism as well. That just made me curious to study Calvinism even more so I began listening to James. Through listening to his teachings I have come to realize that Reformed Theology seems to be true.

My reason for posting is I have a roommate who's father is a pastor of an IFB church. We have been talking and studying this issue and he too seems to be seeing that God does elect and He is actually in control of salvation. The problem is that his dad is pretty upset and says that we are a reproach to the name of Christ for believing this. I do feel an upcoming meeting is inevitable and am just seeking advice/encouragement.

Have any of you had resistance from believing in reformed theology? How do OSAS Arminians explain John 6, Ephesians 1, Romans 8-9? What are some good resources for me? I have "The Potter's Freedom" from James White.

I just feel bad because this teaching isn't popular in my area and people label you all sorts of things for believing in predestination. Fundmentalist Baptist (who I'm familiar with) have very little respect for the Reformed Faith. I know you should never compromise but sometimes is seems like the easier way. If you happen to read this and don't respond at least pray for me and this situation! Thanks and I hope this site will be a blessing to me!

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is actually my first post to the site. I was looking to join a message board for some support and to grow. I have been brought up in the Independent Fundamental Baptist movement. Since then I have left that movement because of rules and the oppressive atmosphere. Everything seems fine in these churches until you question any little belief they have.

A big part of the IFB movement is King James Only teaching. From studying this false teaching I was introduced to James White. He is a Reformed Baptist. Through listening to his teaching on King James Onlyism I realized he believes in Calvinism as well. That just made me curious to study Calvinism even more so I began listening to James. Through listening to his teachings I have come to realize that Reformed Theology seems to be true.

My reason for posting is I have a roommate who's father is a pastor of an IFB church. We have been talking and studying this issue and he too seems to be seeing that God does elect and He is actually in control of salvation. The problem is that his dad is pretty upset and says that we are a reproach to the name of Christ for believing this. I do feel an upcoming meeting is inevitable and am just seeking advice/encouragement.

Have any of you had resistance from believing in reformed theology? How do OSAS Arminians explain John 6, Ephesians 1, Romans 8-9? What are some good resources for me? I have "The Potter's Freedom" from James White.

I just feel bad because this teaching isn't popular in my area and people label you all sorts of things for believing in predestination. Fundmentalist Baptist (who I'm familiar with) have very little respect for the Reformed Faith. I know you should never compromise but sometimes is seems like the easier way. If you happen to read this and don't respond at least pray for me and this situation! Thanks and I hope this site will be a blessing to me!

When I was first investigating Reformed theology, I thought White's The Potter's Freedom was too antagonistic in it's approach. It was not helpful at all. Now that I am Reformed (Reformed Baptist, to be precise), I can appreciate White points, but they weren't helpful to me then.

I thought RC Sproul's Chosen By God was much more convincing to me, and far less confrontational. In fact, it was that book more than any other single thing which convinced me of the truth of Reformed soteriology.

I would check out Chosen By God, and use it as a model for how to discuss this with your friend's dad.

Just one man's opinion...

Upvote 0

Jack Terrence

Fighting the good fight
Feb 15, 2013
✟27,525.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I thought RC Sproul's Chosen By God was much more convincing to me, and far less confrontational. In fact, it was that book more than any other single thing which convinced me of the truth of Reformed soteriology.

I would check out Chosen By God, and use it as a model for how to discuss this with your friend's dad.
Chosen By God is an excellent choice!

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yeah I have heard that Chosen by God was a good book. I haven't heard much from R.C. Sproul. The difficult thing is the Christians I know are highly offended at the doctrine of election. Have any of you had this type of treatment and if so how do you deal with it? They seem to think that it is a heretical teaching. Can anyone relate?

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

To help you develop a scriptural polemic I would recommend:

5_points_calvinism.jpg

For your own personal study I would recommend Pink's work on The Divine Covenants. (free epub, in print)

Upvote 0

CollectsBooks

Feb 17, 2013
Roanoke, Va
✟15,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Engaged
The difficult thing is the Christians I know are highly offended at the doctrine of election. Have any of you had this type of treatment and if so how do you deal with it? They seem to think that it is a heretical teaching. Can anyone relate?

Absolutely. There aren't any Reformed churches I can attend. My family acted like I joined a cult. I just had to forgive them for following and clinging to their traditions.

Upvote 0

Shulamite

My Bridegroom suffered this for ME
Oct 12, 2007
USA
✟18,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I have heard that Chosen by God was a good book. I haven't heard much from R.C. Sproul. The difficult thing is the Christians I know are highly offended at the doctrine of election. Have any of you had this type of treatment and if so how do you deal with it? They seem to think that it is a heretical teaching. Can anyone relate?

Oh boy... you are not alone. I get this response too. I attend a southern baptist church and only 1% that I have fellowshipped with receive reformed views. Aside from my husband, no one else I fellowship with seems to understand this. I have been called "prideful" when trying my best (with humility) to share this with people. I have come to realize that when Jesus opens your understanding to something more mature or deep, then it is often met with opposition and misunderstanding. It's frustrating because we want to be able to "show" them what God has so graciously shown us! Yet, when they don't understand, I see this at work: When I try to share this and it's not received or it's attacked, I hear the Holy Spirit remind me that only He can give this revelation. If I am able to convince another person of this by my striving and contending, then I would get the credit. So, if a person comes to understand Election and Predestination of His own, then it was God's will that it be revealed and not by my own effort that it's understood. However, I still share it with people beause it is the truth and we are merely to bear witness to the truth, not think we can MAKE them understand it. Only God can.

But, yes, I have had the same response. So did Jesus and so did Paul! (Romans 9)...so, you're in good company! :)

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good Day, Thewaythetruth

All I can say is WOW, your story and mine is so alike, I did have that bad meeting you refer to and spent a great deal of time and study with my IFB KJV brothers wrote a lopt of e-mails and face to face disscussions all to no avail.

I had to leave my IFB church.. in end , but God made provision for that also. I left the pastor with CH Spurgeons work in Defense of Calvinism" and left.

Any way I can help just let me know,

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes I can!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore? And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.
(Mat 19:27-30)

Upvote 0