Remembering WinAce 1984-2005

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I didn't always agree with the site, but when I read stuff there, most of the time I tried to remember that it was just "fun". Some of the users have abused that notion over the years, but most haven't.

I wonder what WinAce would think of it now...
Good question. I thought he really wanted to point out fun over ridicule. But when one pokes fun at another persons beliefs isn't that the same a ridicule?

All I can say is that I have been blessed with reletivly good health. I feel terrible for the "Winaces" out there who have not been so fortunate.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Good question. I thought he really wanted to point out fun over ridicule. But when one pokes fun at another persons beliefs isn't that the same a ridicule?

It depends, I suppose.

I have several friends here at CF who have no qualms about calling me out if I say something silly. Sometimes we make fun of each other for saying silly things. When we are like that, the intention is never EVER to hurt the other person.

It's a fine line to be sure.

All I can say is that I have been blessed with reletivly good health. I feel terrible for the "Winaces" out there who have not been so fortunate.

I just know that he was really sick. I have some family members who are very ill, two who are terminal, and I know what that does to people.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
CF used to have something in memorial for WinAce -- a basket of rabbits you could add to your avatar -- just like the one he used for his.

Alas, last time I went to check, the avatar system was acting a little wonky, so I can't see if it's still available.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
CF used to have something in memorial for WinAce -- a basket of rabbits you could add to your avatar -- just like the one he used for his.

Alas, last time I went to check, the avatar system was acting a little wonky, so I can't see if it's still available.

I do recall that...

But yeah...the living avatars are kinda screwy right now...

Upvote 0

Gizoux

GizouxAce
Sep 9, 2006
✟7,661.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
*sniff* :blush: Thanks guys. It's nice to see this many who remember five years later. On the Internet, I think it's worth five to ten times the age... :)

I remember his posts over at the forums he had up at hyperboards. They went completely batty, and well, the subsequent owner of the site did their own forums, and it had since become forgotten.

It has changed somewhat, with the ability to comment and automated quote submitting. Something which I feel can detract from the quotes.

There are few people I know who had his wit and who was still willing to be down to earth if you so chose to be straight with him. Definitely a person worth remembering in my book.

Again, thank you.

Upvote 0