Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Every year I am disappointed with Christianity for following a pagan holiday to remember Yeshua's atonement for sins. I wish that churches would ignore Roman church dates for remembering Yeshua's work of atonement and instead choose to follow the dates of Passover as the early church would have done.

While remembering should be a 365 days a year process, I find the lack of connecting the crucifixion and resurrection to Passover to be quite disappointing.

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I am sure that all of us have some practice of another from the early church that we would like to see resurrected (refusing baptism to soldiers and cops springs to mind), but really, don't you think that there are enough current controversies to be going on with, without resurrecting ones that are centuries old like the quartodecemians?

Upvote 0

Panevino

Sep 25, 2011
✟41,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I ag
Every year I am disappointed with Christianity for following a pagan holiday to remember Yeshua's atonement for sins. I wish that churches would ignore Roman church dates for remembering Yeshua's work of atonement and instead choose to follow the dates of Passover as the early church would have done.

While remembering should be a 365 days a year process, I find the lack of connecting the crucifixion and resurrection to Passover to be quite disappointing.
in each Catholic mass we are reminded of Jesus as the Lamb of God. The connection to the Passover is very clear to any Catholic with a bit of understanding of the mass.
Given differing theology in some Protestant denominations on the meaning of the Eucharist / lords supper (i.e. Merley Memorial / no sacrificial participation) the connection to the Passover is not as prominent

Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Yet the RC and OC have chosen weird dates to remember Yeshua, the Passover lamb atoning for sin. The pagan connection to the moon is clear, but doesn't fit in with Yeshua's last supper and the following events.
I find it odd that Christians follow such strange customs.

Reactions: HomeinSalem
Upvote 0

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
There wasn't a single date that the early Church celebrated the Resurrection.
It's not tough to know Yeshua was killed on Passover. It's pretty easy to follow this time of remembrance.
There's no sense in following the first full moon after the equinox as a means of remembrance...unless you're doing it for political reasons to co-opt a pagan holiday.
The week after Passover idea of the OC also makes little sense...unless you're just naturally anti-Semitic, which both the RC and OC traditionally have been.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's not tough to know Yeshua was killed on Passover. It's pretty easy to follow this time of remembrance.
There's no sense in following the first full moon after the equinox as a means of remembrance...unless you're doing it for political reasons to co-opt a pagan holiday.
The week after Passover idea of the OC also makes little sense...unless you're just naturally anti-Semitic, which both the RC and OC traditionally have been.
I never said that Jesus wasn't killed on the Passover. What I said was that there has never been only one time that was universally celebrated as the day of the Resurrection. The early Church had to make a choice. Was it more important to celebrate the Resurrection in step with Passover, or was it more important to celebrate it on a Sunday. Sunday eventually won out, but the Computus was developed in a way that there would be a close similarity to the date of Passover. The first full moon after the equinox is roughly the same date as Nisan 14. Things get odd of course with the use of leap years in the Jewish lunar calendar.

Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I never said that Jesus wasn't killed on the Passover. What I said was that there has never been only one time that was universally celebrated as the day of the Resurrection. The early Church had to make a choice. Was it more important to celebrate the Resurrection in step with Passover, or was it more important to celebrate it on a Sunday. Sunday eventually won out, but the Computus was developed in a way that there would be a close similarity to the date of Passover. The first full moon after the equinox is roughly the same date as Nisan 14. Things get odd of course with the use of leap years in the Jewish lunar calendar.
It's pretty simple to recognize Yeshua's atonement on Passover and resurrection on Sunday.
Sorry, the whole first full moon after equinox in combination with Easter (Aster) is just a cheap co-opt of a pagan holiday. That's shameful.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's pretty simple to recognize Yeshua's atonement on Passover and resurrection on Sunday.
Sorry, the whole first full moon after equinox in combination with Easter (Aster) is just a cheap co-opt of a pagan holiday. That's shameful.
Let's say that the first day of Passover is a Monday. That makes the third day a Thursday. How exactly does that work if you want to recognize the Resurrection on Sunday?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

We Catholics remember the crucifixion and resurrection every day, regardless of when Easter might be celebrated. But why not ignore "Roman Church" dates? You ignore everything else, and just criticize how we worship. What's the big deal?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am sure that all of us have some practice of another from the early church that we would like to see resurrected (refusing baptism to soldiers and cops springs to mind), but really, don't you think that there are enough current controversies to be going on with, without resurrecting ones that are centuries old like the quartodecemians?
In our practice, it's too late...they've been baptized when they should be-at infancy.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
oooohhh, anti-semitic! That kinda trash is what you see looking at the south-bound end of a north-bound donkey.

Upvote 0