Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Read on...
Acts 5:12-14:
The apostles performed many signs and wonders among the people. And all the believers used to meet together in Solomon’s Colonnade. 13 No one else dared join them, even though they were highly regarded by the people. 14 Nevertheless, more and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number.

They met together in church...Solomon's Colonnade.
Same timeframe, and ...
Acts 3:1:
One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon.
Temple Worship was definitely in place and sounds like much more actively so than at current times...daily I believe. That is they worshiped daily at 3 in the afternoon.
Solomon's Porch or Collonade was part of the Jewish temple. It was not a church.

Upvote 0

Myychael

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
✟79,084.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Myychael,
Is that name spelling a typo btw? Anyway, I am happy you like seeing the Scripture employed as I do so try to prove my faith from it.
Are you still JW or are you Baptist as your title appears? I do take issue with the JWs and find it difficult to fathom that you now a Baptist would support the Watchtower ideas anymore...not asking you to go into those issues here as it would be off-topic indeed, just a yes-no on the support or non-support of JW doctrine currently.
Thanks in advance.

First if I were a JW I wouldn’t be on here I would consider this site tainted or Pagan I’m aTrinity believing Spirit filled Charismatic Baptist already seated in heavenly places a child of the King I
Have prayed for people and seen healings and not healings on some when i pray I give money to homeless because I was once homeless I give money to the JEWS because I believe every congregation
Should support them Christians have done much harm there you have to forgive me sometimes I ramble a little I had a Stroke and this and memory loss is some of the fallout I try to help the JWS
But see I disfellowshiped myself from them they avoid me like the plague Hell is very real you see
And some one needs to try and help them you see there is just not a yes or no answere

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Solomon's Porch or Collonade was part of the Jewish temple. It was not a church.
Some of the churches met in the home of a Christian, for instance: Romans 16:5; I Corinthians 16:9; Philemon 1:2
Solomon's Colonnade was just an example of formal gathering for worship which was in fact documented in Acts so near to the documentation of the practices of these first/very early Christians which were cited in the post I responded to.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Some of the churches met in the home of a Christian, for instance: Romans 16:5; I Corinthians 16:9; Philemon 1:2
Solomon's Colonnade was just an example of formal gathering for worship which was in fact documented in Acts so near to the documentation of the practices of these first/very early Christians which were cited in the post I responded to.
Still does not alter the fact that Solomon's Porch was not a church.

• Agree
Reactions: kcmonseysr
Upvote 0

kcmonseysr

Christian Zionist
Jan 27, 2014
NEPA -USA
Visit site
✟30,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It was not a porch, it was part of the Temple...
and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon’s Colonnade. John 10:23

Yes! In the Temple courts. The porches of Solomon were on the Temple Mount. The area(s) on the Mount but outside of the Temple proper, would be said to be in the Temple courts. The Colonnade was not a part of the Temple itself, it was a nice (so I'm told) shaded area in which to congregate...

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes! In the Temple courts. The porches of Solomon were on the Temple Mount. The area(s) on the Mount but outside of the Temple proper, would be said to be in the Temple courts. The Colonnade was not a part of the Temple itself, it was a nice (so I'm told) shaded area in which to congregate...
I do not know of a porch to the Temple...re-read the Law maybe and show me from it, not from some google info
In any event there was a formal church meeting where they all came together for prayer in God's temple and we know for certain that at the time I Corinthians was written they too were holding formal, organized and eventually orderly meetings.

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2011
✟17,405.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Religion, with all its divisive theology, it makes me sad. Jesus however, and love, these make me joyful. So i say religion can take a hike, give me liberty, amen.

Of course, if by "religion" we mean all the "false religions" and there are so many that we have lost count of them, religion can take a hike because the enemy has deceived so many people through them. Even much of "Christendom" is paganism under the Christian name and what is called "protestant" today is no longer protestant. But there is such a thing as the true religion, the only religion of the Bible which teaches that "The MERITS of Christ's sacrifice are SUFFICIENT to present to the Father in our behalf" (Rom.3:25; S.C.36) in order to receive the gift that brings all the blessings of the covenant of grace in its train, namely the gift of the Holy Spirit for "Looking unto Jesus and TRUSTING in His MERITS we appropriate the blessings of pardon and light and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." Testimonies, vol.5, 744; Rom.5:5)

This we are to do on a daily basis and we shall be saved, that is, justified and sanctified for the Holy Spirit, Christ's Representative, shall work in and through us both to will and to do God's good pleasure. (Phil.2:13)

Then we have liberty, the liberty that is in Christ Jesus through the Spirit for "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty" even "the glorious liberty of the children of God." (2 Cor.3:17; Gal.5:1; Rom.8:21)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course, it makes sense to say that if we mean to say "false religions" and there are so many that we have lost count of them. Even much of "Christendom" is paganism under the Christian name and what is called "protestant" is no longer protestant. But there is such a thing as the true religion, the only religion of the Bible which teaches that "The MERITS of Christ's sacrifice are SUFFICIENT to present to the Father in our behalf" (S.C.36) in order to receive the gift that brings all the blessings of the covenant of grace in its train, namely the gift of the Holy Spirit for "Looking unto Jesus and TRUSTING in His MERITS we appropriate the blessings of pardon and light and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." Testimonies, vol.5, 744. This do and you shall be saved, justified and sanctified.
Thank you for the Re.

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2011
✟17,405.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I keep things simple. I dont see any scripture that says religion must be complicated, or divisive.

Exactly, the matter of salvation is just as simple as ABC but we don't understand it.

A. Now and ever, Jesus loves to have us come to Him just as we are, sinful, helpless, dependent. (Rom.7:14-24)

B. Then we are to present our case before Him pleading the MERITS of the blood shed for us upon Calvary's cross. (Rom.3:25)

C. Then the Father receives us unto Himself and we are greatly blessed with the gift that cannot be excelled and which is worthy of Christ's greatness and royalty, namely the gift of the Holy Spirit who is to work in us both to will and to do God's good pleasure. (Phil.2:13).

This is our life business. "Unless the sinner makes it his LIFE BUSINESS to look to Jesus and to accept the MERITS which it is his PRIVILEGE to CLAIM, he cannot be saved." Testimonies to Ministers, 92.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 15, 2011
✟17,405.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
If you want to jettison Religion than you have to stop being a Christian. Christianity is a Religion, it is the Religion and I am glad to be Religious

Yes, Christianity is a religion but there are too many in it who are "religious" but not spiritual. The Jews were very "religious" but spiritually they were dead. We are repeating their history to the very letter, even those who claim to have advanced truth.

Upvote 0

kcmonseysr

Christian Zionist
Jan 27, 2014
NEPA -USA
Visit site
✟30,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that, for the most part, this thread has gotten hung up on determining whose definition of the word "religion" is correct. I see the word being used here in a couple of different ways, neither of which is really terribly wrong within its own context. Carry on... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
if by "religion" we mean all the "false religions"

Religion is life, the life of God, not a mere set of beliefs.
This fits with what the Bible says >

"Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." (James 1:27)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You still don't get it. Christianity is a religion and will always be and to want to free from religion means you don't want to be a Christian.
James makes a distinction between pure religion, and defiled religion which is worthless.

Upvote 0

Neal of Zebulun

Oct 21, 2017
Texas
✟28,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im so dissatisfied with religion that i rid myself from it. You all can have it. You can have the strife between churches on this forum.

Isn't that really what's upsetting? That so many sects of Christianity can't even agree on milk, much less the the meat of Scripture?

I think this upset Christ too. I recommend reading John 17.

Yahweh help us!

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Elizabeth89

Nov 19, 2017
NY
✟7,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Private
Religion, with all its divisive theology, it makes me sad. Jesus however, and love, these make me joyful. So i say religion can take a hike, give me liberty, amen.

Tell me, what is the definition of religion? Do you know?

Upvote 0