Visit site
✟30,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. Mat 5:20 Jesus didn't care for religion
either By definition only by mans account would the Christian faith be called RELIGIOUS take Buddha Hindu
Mohammad pick any other you want look at them analyze them their beliefs they are dead if you take a trip to Rome all the so called GODS have diminished completely.Didn't Paul say be ye followers of me as i am of Christ.In Religion man makes Sacrifices to their so called gods.In Christianity GOD made the sacrifice for us did Jesus not say in John 15:1 that he is the true vine you see we are the body of Christ is the eye more than the ear the brain more than the feet we all need each other some parts of the body of Christ are more free than others light the candles spin the wheels do this do that lots of works others not so much
i was a JW and man you really worked.I have searched for the perfect Church the free Church when i left the JW it doesn't exist because man is flawed and each member of the body of Christ is progressing at
a different pace. WZL i hope you attend a Christian congregation somewhere to be a blessing to someone
when the members show up to worship GOD we bless GOD and GOD blesses us with his Spirit.I discovered in my journeys i visited Pentecostal, Presbyterians, Baptist ,COG and word of Faith Churches you would not be able to take a Pentecostal whom likes to dance play his or her Symbol shout and put them in a Baptist, see what i mean
or Presbyterian Congregation not going to work the brother or sisters there are not use to that much
freedom some would say GOD is a GOD of order not of disorder and they would consider that disorder
I myself had no clue how to worship all the music and songs were picked in advanced i needed that badly
my wife and i spent 8 months with an all Black pentecostal Church working class not rich in money but when they praised Jesus the Spirit would fall all over the house shouting and praising Jesus at the top of their voice a little money but great faith healed marriages healings of body even a woman pastor solid
in her preaching.So i no this may seem to get off topic but i dont belive it is freedom to one might not
be freedom to another i believe only by definition is the Christain a religion.Threatening your brothers and
sisters is not good either im sure each member is in whatever congregation their in because they no
that congregation is connected to Christ the Vine not because their parents went there to that congregation not because there happens to be a Seminary pastor there or a doctor of Theology overseerer not knocking it dont flame me just remember many are called few are chosen the degree doesnt mean anything unless the word of GOD rest on him I pray each one of you have that.Brothers and sisters we are all on the pilgrim pathway.
Excellent post. Thank you.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure that I'm dense, but I don't believe that you have answered my question yet. For the sake of clarity I proposed a simple either/or:

1. Does your practice of religion cause you (and others) to be more acceptable to - and hence enable you to walk closer to - God? [If the word "cause" is too strong for you, then feel free to substitute "allow you" or "make you" instead. I.e. is your personal practice of religion in any way a causal agent of a closer walk to God for you?]
-Or-
2. Does your practice of religion come only as the (super) natural result of your
already having a closer walk with God? (To maybe clarify: "having a closer walk with God" due only to learning to more fully trust Him and believe Him as you walk along your path in this life.)

I have already told you which of these two is my choice. Now you may clearly answer the same question for me. Feel free to choose either option 1., or option 2., or both together (if you choose to eliminate the word "only" in your mind in option 2.).
My answer is clearer than your two choices and I will allow YOU to choose the category I fall under...as you most certainly will anyway. : )
Last Word From Me, btw.

Upvote 0

kcmonseysr

Christian Zionist
Jan 27, 2014
NEPA -USA
Visit site
✟30,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My answer is clearer than your two choices and I will allow YOU to choose the category I fall under...as you most certainly will anyway. : )
Last Word From Me, btw.
I'm not surprised. Works for me.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. Mat 5:20 Jesus didn't care for religion
either By definition only by mans account would the Christian faith be called RELIGIOUS take Buddha Hindu
Mohammad pick any other you want look at them analyze them their beliefs they are dead if you take a trip to Rome all the so called GODS have diminished completely.Didn't Paul say be ye followers of me as i am of Christ.In Religion man makes Sacrifices to their so called gods.In Christianity GOD made the sacrifice for us did Jesus not say in John 15:1 that he is the true vine you see we are the body of Christ is the eye more than the ear the brain more than the feet we all need each other some parts of the body of Christ are more free than others light the candles spin the wheels do this do that lots of works others not so much
i was a JW and man you really worked.I have searched for the perfect Church the free Church when i left the JW it doesn't exist because man is flawed and each member of the body of Christ is progressing at
a different pace. WZL i hope you attend a Christian congregation somewhere to be a blessing to someone
when the members show up to worship GOD we bless GOD and GOD blesses us with his Spirit.I discovered in my journeys i visited Pentecostal, Presbyterians, Baptist ,COG and word of Faith Churches you would not be able to take a Pentecostal whom likes to dance play his or her Symbol shout and put them in a Baptist, see what i mean
or Presbyterian Congregation not going to work the brother or sisters there are not use to that much
freedom some would say GOD is a GOD of order not of disorder and they would consider that disorder
I myself had no clue how to worship all the music and songs were picked in advanced i needed that badly
my wife and i spent 8 months with an all Black pentecostal Church working class not rich in money but when they praised Jesus the Spirit would fall all over the house shouting and praising Jesus at the top of their voice a little money but great faith healed marriages healings of body even a woman pastor solid
in her preaching.So i no this may seem to get off topic but i dont belive it is freedom to one might not
be freedom to another i believe only by definition is the Christain a religion.Threatening your brothers and
sisters is not good either im sure each member is in whatever congregation their in because they no
that congregation is connected to Christ the Vine not because their parents went there to that congregation not because there happens to be a Seminary pastor there or a doctor of Theology overseerer not knocking it dont flame me just remember many are called few are chosen the degree doesnt mean anything unless the word of GOD rest on him I pray each one of you have that.Brothers and sisters we are all on the pilgrim pathway.
Thanks for the re.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The apostle James said that a man who cannot keep his mouth shut has useless religion. The way i figure it, the less religion one has, the less words they need to defend it.
Good quote on James.....

Jas 1:26
If any one doth think to be religious among you, not bridling his tongue, but deceiving his heart, of this one vain is the religion; [Luke 16:24?]
Jas 3:
5 so also the tongue is a little member, and doth boast greatly; behold!
a little fire how much wood it doth kindle!
6 and the tongue is a fire, the world of the unrighteousness, so the tongue is set in our members, which is spotting our whole body,
and is setting on fire the course of nature, and is set on fire by the gehenna
.[Luke 16:24?]

Notice this rich man in Luke 16:24 is asking Abraham to send Lazarus down to cool his tongue

Rich Man and Lazarus most misunderstood parable in NT?

Luke 16:24
And he sounding said "Father Abraham! be thou merciful to me! and send Lazarus!
that he should be dipping the tip of the finger of him of water

and should be cooling down the tongue of me
for I am being pained in this flame."

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

First, notice that the rich man identifies Abraham as his father, just as the Pharisees did (John 8:39).
The rich man (Judah) is now shown to be undergoing reproof, testing, and punishment in "this flame" (singular, not "these flames").
It is quite obvious that the flame is not literal, because a wet fingertip on the tongue would do nothing to quench the pain inflicted by real flames.

Matt 23:15 'Woe to ye, Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!
33 'Serpents! brood of vipers! how may ye escape from
the judgment of the gehenna?

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good quote on James.....

Jas 1:26
If any one doth think to be religious among you, not bridling his tongue, but deceiving his heart, of this one vain is the religion; [Luke 16:2?4]
Jas 3:
5 so also the tongue is a little member, and doth boast greatly; behold!
a little fire how much wood it doth kindle!
6 and the tongue is a fire, the world of the unrighteousness, so the tongue is set in our members, which is spotting our whole body,
and is setting on fire the course of nature, and is set on fire by the gehenna
.[Luke 16:24?]

Notice this rich man in Luke 16:24 is asking Abraham to send Lazarus down to cool his tongue

Rich Man and Lazarus most misunderstood parable in NT?

Luke 16:24
And he sounding said "Father Abraham! be thou merciful to me! and send Lazarus!
that he should be dipping the tip of the finger of him of water

and should be cooling down the tongue of me
for I am being pained in this flame."

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

First, notice that the rich man identifies Abraham as his father, just as the Pharisees did (John 8:39).

Matt 23:15 'Woe to ye, Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!
33 'Serpents! brood of vipers! how may ye escape from
the judgment of the gehenna?

hqdefault.jpg
Interesting. The tongue sure is hard to tame.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interesting. The tongue sure is hard to tame.
Perhaps that is what the LORD uses to keep His people in check? Our GOD is a consuming fire.....
Notice Isaiah 30:27 in relation to that rich man in Luke 16. Pretty fascianting....

Isa 30:27
See, the Name of the LORD comes from afar, with burning anger and dense clouds of smoke; His lips are full of wrath, and His tongue is a consuming fire.

images

1Pe 3:10
For, “Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech.

Kindgdom Bible Studies Template Page

LUKE 16:24
"Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.' "

What? Think about it! If he is in a literal, raging flame, completely surrounded and engulfed by seething fires, would he be carrying on a conversation? Instantly his hair, eyebrows, eyelashes would have dissolved; his skin would begin blistering, and he would have only a fraction of a second to emit a bloodcurdling SCREAM! No, this conversation is not coming from a man who is completely engulfed in literal fire! What then is TORMENTING the rich man? Why, what he SEES! Notice: It says he “lift up his EYES...” even as Jesus warned the Pharisees, You shall SEE Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the Kingdom, and you yourselves cast out!” Shocked realization comes to the rich man’s mind. According to the parable, he instantly recognizes Lazarus, and Abraham. He sees them as if in a glorious state; perhaps even engaged in partaking of a sumptuous banquet, not unlike the hundreds of banquets the rich man enjoyed during his life, all the while offering only the leavings of his table for Lazarus!

The fire is a word, a burning word of authority, as Jeremiah said, “Your word was in my heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones”
(Jer. 20:9). Ah, it was the WORD OF THE KINGDOM brought by Jesus, which always angered, enraged, and infuriated the Jews! Provoked and indignant beyond explanation his mouth becomes completely dry, his tongue virtually cleaves to the roof of his mouth, and he cannot even moisten his lips! In mental anguish and paralyzing fright he calls out for Lazarus to at least “dip his finger in water” and COOL his Pharisaic TONGUE (doctrine of the Pharisees), for he was TORMENTED in this flame!

The hell of the rich man was not a place where he was tortured by a torment sadistically inflicted, but a condition of testing for truth or purity.
Our great God is not an almighty monster, a celestial Hitler or a heavenly Stalin, but ever the Lord of compassion and tender mercies. However, the best of earthly fathers must at times find it expedient to inflict a measure of pain and suffering on a son, to serve as a means of correction. That is the way in which the word “touchstone” is used in this parable. The rich man’s torment, then, is that which is effected by the LIVING and ENERGETIC WORD of God, for this Word is the “discerner and analyzer and sifter of the thoughts and intents of the heart” (Heb. 4:12). When the rich man was being tormented in the flames, as he watched Lazarus from afar in Abraham’s bosom, he was having his GENUINENESS AND QUALITY tested by the ESSENCE-WORD of God, which is the living spirit of prophecy, which is, in reality, God Himself - for in the beginning was the Word, and the Word WAS GOD! Truly, OUR GOD IS A CONSUMING FIRE!

Last edited:
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps that is what the LORD uses to keep His people in check? Notice Isaiah 30:27....

Isa 30:27
See, the Name of the LORD comes from afar, with burning anger and dense clouds of smoke; His lips are full of wrath, and His tongue is a consuming fire.

Act 2:
2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.
3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.

1Pe 3:10
For, “Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech.
Yes, perhaps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I never said it wasnt, however much of it has become useless wrangling over denominational differences. I throw that religion off to the side so i dont stumble over it.
There were also differences and controversy between the 2 sects of the Pharisees and Sadducees, which Paul took advantage of:

Why did Sadducees not believe in Resurrection? Acts 23:8

Acts 23:
6 Knowing yet, the Paul, that the one part is of Sadducees, the yet different of Pharisees, he cried out in the sanhedrin, "Men! brethren! I a Pharisee am, son of Pharisees concerning hope and resurrection of dead-ones I-am being judged!"
8 for Sadducees indeed are saying no to be resurrection, neither messenger, neither spirit, but Pharisees yet are avowing both.

Act 26:
3 and especially so because you are well acquainted with all the Jewish customs and controversies.
5 They have known me for a long time and can testify, if they are willing, that I conformed to the strictest sect of our religion, living as a Pharisee.
6 and now it is because of my hope in what God has promised our ancestors that I am on trial today

Time to hop aboard the new religion of spiritual NC Christianity and ditch the carnal OC religion of Judaism........

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
W2L said:
Your religion is not mine. I follow the scriptures and that must bother you because it threatens your understanding of our faith.
Good idea......

Gotta be like the Bereans.......

1 Corinthians 4:46
And these things, brethren, I did transfer to myself and to Apollos because of ye, that in us ye may learn not to think above that which hath been written,
that ye may not be puffed up one for one against the other,

John 5:39 "Ye are searching the Writings that ye are seeming in them life age-during to be having, and those are the ones-testifying about Me".

2Peter 3:16 As also/and in all the letters, speaking in them about these-things; in which are difficult to understand any which the unlearned and unsteadfast are wresting/twisting, as also the rest of Writings, toward their own destruction/apwleian <684>. [# 684 used reve 17:8, 11]

Acts 17:11 greek verse study only

Acts 17:11:

"Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

This passage proves that Scripture is to be held the ultimate authority, certainly more so than "oral testimony". The Bible goes so far as to commend the Bereans as "more noble" than another group, for checking what was testified against Scripture.

This DOESN'T mean that "oral testimony" isn't important; so nobody needs to cry about how the Bereans wouldn't have know Jesus came if not for testimony; it simply means that Scripture is the ultimate authority, not "oral tradition". Oral tradition is good, only if it is in light of Scripture. The Bereans wouldn't have accepted Paul's testimony if it didn't line up with Scripture.

Peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Myychael

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
✟79,084.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your heartfelt response.
The passage you quote is Jesus referring to Himself as the more, most righteous door to heaven. Simply by faith in Him we are credited with righteousness. Apart from faith in Him we are lost because then we are left to our own devices to fulfill all the righteous requirements of the Law and as Romans tells us in no uncertain terms, that certainly is not possible.

the point i was making was the reaction and stand that Jesus took against the Religion of the Pharisees
they were constantly trying Jesus I was not speaking of Doctrine and actually it was a smack in the face to the Pharisees at that particular time would you not agree with that :) i hope you can see that the people
in the Bible are real with actions and feelings but i degress maybe this would have been a better choice
Mark
…6Jesus answered them, “Isaiah prophesied correctly about you hypocrites, as it is written: ‘These people honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me. 7They worship Me in vain; they teach as doctrine the precepts of men.’ 8You have disregarded the commandment of God to keep the tradition of men.”…
another smack in the old chops of the Pharisee now the Pharisees were religious thanks fierytrial i will be more careful next time i stil hold down a job and im just in and out of here keep an eye on me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
the point i was making was the reaction and stand that Jesus took against the Religion of the Pharisees
they were constantly trying Jesus I was not speaking of Doctrine and actually it was a smack in the face to the Pharisees at that particular time would you not agree with that........
Mark
…6Jesus answered them, “Isaiah prophesied correctly about you hypocrites, as it is written: ‘These people honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me. 7They worship Me in vain; they teach as doctrine the precepts of men.’ 8You have disregarded the commandment of God to keep the tradition of men.”…
another smack in the old chops of the Pharisee now the Pharisees were religious ..........
Psalm 22:16 comes to mine also....

Psalm 22:16 For dogs have surrounded Me, assembly of ones doing evil have encompass me as a lion, hands of Me and feet of Me. [John 19:15/Reve 6:16

John 19:15 Those yet Cry-out "take-away! take-away! crucify! Him". Pilate is saying to them "the King of ye I shall be crucifying?"
Answered the Chief-priests "not we are having a King except Caesar"

Philip 3:2 Beware of the dogs! beware of-the evil workers! beware of-the circumcision! [Psalm 22:16/Isaiah 56:11/Revelation 22:1

Reve 6:16 And they are saying to the mountains and to the rocks "be falling on us! and hide us! from Face of the One sitting upon the Throne,
and from the wrath of the Lamb"
[Hosea 10:8/Luke 23:30]

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD
The Destruction Of JERUSALEM
An Absolute and Irresistible PROOF OF THE DIVINE ORIGIN OF
CHRISTIANITY:

The day on which Titus encompassed Jerusalem, was the feast of the Passover; and it is deserving of the very particular attention of the reader, that this was the anniversary of that memorable period in which the Jews crucified their Messiah! ..........
The Temple now presented little more than a heap of ruins ; and the Roman army as in triumph on the event, came and reared their ensigns against a fragment of the eastern gate, and, with sacrifices of thanksgiving, proclaimed the imperial majesty of Titus, with every possible demonstration of joy......

3. The Sadducees

Being closely associated with the Temple, the Sadducees disappeared from history when the Temple was destroyed in 70.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Religion, with all its divisive theology, it makes me sad. Jesus however, and love, these make me joyful. So i say religion can take a hike, give me liberty, amen.
Reminds me of this member who has this under his username LOL.[he is against evolution and believes in YEC]

AV1611VET
SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
they were constantly trying Jesus I was not speaking of Doctrine and actually it was a smack in the face to the Pharisees at that particular time would you not agree with that :) i hope you can see that the people
in the Bible are real with actions and feelings but i degress maybe this would have been a better choice
Mark
another smack in the old chops of the Pharisee now the Pharisees were religious thanks fierytrial i will be more careful next time i stil hold down a job and im just in and out of here keep an eye on me
Yes, Mark passages...It was slowly being revealed to the Israelites, the Jews, throughout the Prophets that they were neglecting the weightier teachings in favor of works...love, mercy, righteousness, were being sacrificed.
The OP states that he'd like to do away with religion in favor of getting along with our fellow man. I say that is wrong headed. Reading the Scripture is how one is gifted with saving faith.
Romans 10:17:
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.
Therefore it is extreme to say dump religion and yes, we are to put the word of Christ into practice which I've already cited.
Pure religion is the Word of Christ, the Scriptures, and Scripture itself (my religion) instructs me to put the teachings into action.

I can appreciate that having a job and keeping up with this forum are a difficult feat. :) Thanks for participating in spite of the hurdles.

Upvote 0