Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Theres no such thing as conservative/liberal Catholic. It's just Catholic if you follow Church teaching as it is taught.

The whole liberal conservative things is a made up label...just as Taliban Catholic is a label. Just as made up & just as silly.

That's why I did not click that part. I am a registered Republican, a moderate and a fiscal conservative. Pro-life and pro-traditional marriage. So I clicked those. Pro-social justice too.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Huh,
Taht's interesting.
I know at one point years ago, when people were complaining about all the conservatives here, and I used you as an one example of one of the many here who swung left, you disagreed.
You stated the only position that you disagreed with Church teaching on was birth control.

Is that still the case?
Or are you supportive of same-sex marriage now, for example, too?
What do you mean with "you disagreed" - did I disagree with being left wing, or with being conservative? :confused: Because I'm both conservative and left wing, so I shouldn't have disagreed with either. :p

No, I can't say it's still the same. I still disagree with the church's stand on birth control, but it's hard to believe in papal infallibility if you strongly disagree with one teaching. And I don't know whether my beliefs regarding hell are orthodox, either. But that follows from the birth control thing. I don't believe that using birth control sends you to hell per se.

I'm anti-abortion, and I'm pro-life all the way: anti-death penalty, anti-euthanasia (legal over here), anti-infanticide (which is sort of legal over here, slippery slope result of our euthanasia law, although I suspect Antigone will disagree), anti-gun, anti-war, anti-poverty, pro-universal healthcare, pro-welfare system, pro-solidarity, pro-marriage, pro-humans, pro-animals (life doesn't mean just humans!), pro-environment. I'm most conservative when it comes to the environment: you can't get more conservative (literally) than wanting to protect God's creation. Which is why quite a large group of environmentalists are christians.

I'm not supportive of same-sex marriage, but I'm not against it, either. I don't have an opinion on it, really, as it doesn't affect me in any way. I don't think same-sex relationships are harmful to our society. Nor beneficial. I'm just indifferent. We already have legal gay marriage over here (as do you in Canada), but we have separation of church and state in marriage. Church weddings have no legal status. This means that churches can never be forced to perform gay weddings, as gays can get married in the city hall. (Everyone has to have a legal wedding first, then, if they're believers, they can have a religious wedding. Two different ceremonies. Ours weren't even on the same day.) That's good enough for me, really. No catholic priest has to (from a state point of view) allow gays getting married in his church (and from a church point of view he can't, of course). If churches over here risked being forced to marry gays, I'd be against that - but that's out of the question.

The church doesn't recognize divorce (and I'm with the church in that), either, but that doesn't mean that catholics want to outlaw legal divorce - or do they? :confused: And atheists can get married, whether you like it or not.

Ummm - any more questions? (I'm glad you asked!)

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
No can do, Skippy. My political affiliations seem to have vanished mysteriously from your poll.

I usually vote for this party.

GroenLinks-TKMST.png

I don't know if this makes you a liberal in North-American eyes - but from a Dutch perspective it would, somewhat, these days. Didn't Femke Halsema say that GroenLinks is a liberal party? When you look at their ideas on the right of dismissal, they're almost VVD-like. :sorry: *hides behind sofa* (I thought we had a smiley for that! :scratch: )

(The VVD is our liberal party.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Party_for_Freedom_and_Democracy

Edit: and for those who do not know the Dutch political situation, the VVD is a right wing party, not left wing!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
What do you mean with "you disagreed" - did I disagree with being left wing, or with being conservative? :confused: Because I'm both conservative and left wing, so I shouldn't have disagreed with either. :p
Thanks for the answer.
No I know who you are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Beniamino

ACCOUNT ABANDONED
Feb 23, 2011
✟15,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Catholic.

Registered Democrat.

Pro-life, pro-traditional family.

Pro-union, pro-worker, pro-environment, pro-taxing the rich and helping the poor, pro-fair (i.e. not "free") trade, pro-peace, pro-campaign finance reform (corporations are not "people"!), pro Israel, pro-mass transportation, and pro-kittens, doesn't everybody like kittens?

Reactions: Rebekka
Upvote 0

princess_ballet

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Catholic.

Registered Democrat.

Pro-life, pro-traditional family.

Pro-union, pro-worker, pro-environment, pro-taxing the rich and helping the poor, pro-fair (i.e. not "free") trade, pro-peace, pro-campaign finance reform (corporations are not "people"!), pro Israel, pro-mass transportation, and pro-kittens, doesn't everybody like kittens?

I don't like kittens. :sick:

I prefer puppies. :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Generally conservative, often radically so.

Tend to only give hesitant support to the Republican party. They sell out on too many key issues, but they can do good as well.

I am prolife and one of my beefs with the Republican party is that they don't seem to care about this issue anymore.

Don't see a civil case for same-sex marriage other than to use as wedge against religion, so I don't support any sort of expansion of the state in this area (I firmly reject the "compromise" of civil unions because it concedes that there is a civil purpose to supporting same-sex unions which I cannot see.)

Didn't choose one of the Catholic labels because I read "Liberal Catholic" as "Cafeteria, 'Spirit of Vatican II', dissent against tradition Catholic" and "Conservative Catholic" as "Rad Trad, Against Vatican II, dissent against recent Popes Catholic." The terms may have been meant to mean something else, but I find they are most useful when phrased in that way. Since I am neither, I didn't click either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't vote by Party line, I vote for who I feel is best for the job...If my choice gets elected and disappoints me, I'll vote against that person the next time around...straight party voting should be outlawed...clicking one box and not looking at who you are voting for is just not right. It trivializes the entire election process.
MSN-Emoticon-vote-208.gif

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I am prolife and one of my beefs with the Republican party is that they don't seem to care about this issue anymore.
When pro-life politicians don't even come near to capturing the Christian/Catholic vote. it really is no longer a political issue.
Pro-life has been a dead end street in Canada politically for years now. It is different in the States, where lip-service at least is required of Republicans, and full dedication to pro-choice is demanded by the left in America too.But the cultural base for pro-life just does not exist in sufficient numbers for Republicans to be martyrs to the ideal.

Upvote 0