Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I really relate to what @concretecamper said above, I'm not sure I truly align with anybody anymore. Economically I'm libertarian, morally I'm authoritarian because I believe error has no rights, and I prefer an isolationist foreign policy. Domestically I think groups like Black Lives Matter and Antifa must be categorized as terrorist organizations (the former of which the FBI agrees with me, as described in a 2017 intelligence assessment they published) and then dealt with exactly like we've dealt with al-Qaeda.

I subscribe to the Aristo-Thomistic notion that a Republic is one of three valid forms of regime (along with Aristocracy and Monarchy), and that a Republic's evil twin is democracy. Though I submit that a Republic is the one with the highest ratio of virtuous incarnations; a Monarchy can be great if the king is virtuous but that's rarely the case so it quickly devolves to tyranny. Same with aristocracy, which devolves to oligarchy.

I'm staunchly anti-abortion which I distinguish from being pro-life. I think the death penalty is just, necessary, and underutilized. Murderers? Rapists? Pedos? Abortionists? Death. All of them. The Roman Catechism says the death penalty is acceptable to protect society, and I defer to that catechism, knowing how Clement XIII described it: "In it they compiled the teaching which is common to the whole Church and which is far removed from every danger of error," (Pope Clement XII, in Dominico Agro, VI).

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm a registered Libertarian and consider myself a moderate. My voting record is all over the place. Back when you could actually have political conversations with people IRL without being cancelled, my liberal friends would agree with me until I was deemed too conservative, and my conservative friends would agree with me until I was deemed too liberal. Then we'd have to agree to disagree. So, a true moderate.

I've always been personally quite conservative- even though I never extended my moral expectations to the society around me politically- at least not unreasonably so (according to me, anyway). I dislike the very idea of being associated as either a Democrat or a Republican. I haven't voted for either in a Presidential election since the first term for Bush Jr.

However, even though I haven't changed, society has changed around me. So, according to the woke brigade, I'm now suddenly some kind of right-wing extremist and a TERF and a Nazi. Reiterating biological facts and being against medically transing children, keeping trans women out of women's sports, and keeping trans women out of women's prisons and other spaces makes me the evil one. Apparently.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a registered Libertarian and consider myself a moderate. My voting record is all over the place. Back when you could actually have political conversations with people IRL without being cancelled, my liberal friends would agree with me until I was deemed too conservative, and my conservative friends would agree with me until I was deemed too liberal. Then we'd have to agree to disagree. So, a true moderate.

I've always been personally quite conservative- even though I never extended my moral expectations to the society around me politically- at least not unreasonably so (according to me, anyway). I dislike the very idea of being associated as either a Democrat or a Republican. I haven't voted for either in a Presidential election since the first term for Bush Jr.

However, even though I haven't changed, society has changed around me. So, according to the woke brigade, I'm now suddenly some kind of right-wing extremist and a TERF and a Nazi. Reiterating biological facts and being against medically transing children, keeping trans women out of women's sports, and keeping trans women out of women's prisons and other spaces makes me the evil one. Apparently.
Lord have mercy!

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

At least you know where you stand with the regnant powers. I am a biologist with graduate work in biochemistry. I know too much biology to be woke, and am thus also a Nazi extremist. I don't know how a professor of biology can endure these days.

Upvote 0

Rely_942

Mar 16, 2024
Ohio
✟962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I voted Moderate, Pro-Choice Democrat.

Would I have a problem with gay marriage? Yes.

Would I have a problem with gay members? No.

Would I have a problem with a Priest having a history of homosexuality? No.

Would I have a problem with clergy being actively and currently homosexual? Yes. (Oh, Lord have mercy.)

For the record: I have not really gotten to the portion of CCC on pro-life matters. Is it obviously pro-life or is the issue debatable?

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Would I have a problem with clergy being actively and currently homosexual? Yes. (Oh, Lord have mercy.)

For the record: I have not really gotten to the portion of CCC on pro-life matters. Is it obviously pro-life or is the issue debatable?
Not debatable.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, please cite the CCC numbers...
The Church believes in the sanctity of life from conception to natural death.

This is not a debate thread and also the Catholic forum. Please familiarize yourself with the safe haven rules of the Catholic forum and any other forums you wish to visit. If you have questions, you are free to ask them in the main Catholic forum. Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Welcome. Sounds like you are reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church, progressing along. Great. I suggest it helped my wife read it by also following along with Fr. Mike Schmidt's 'Catechism in a year.' I also liked it. The CCC is pretty darn good. Also good are the Catechism of the Council of Trent (also with a readalong companion in a bit less than a year) and the new Credo by Fr. Athanasius Schneider. the advantage of more than one catechism is a richer perspective on the same material.

This particular thread is not one for argumentation, but mostly for listing political affiliations so we can all know where we are individually coming from. For me, I was a Democrat, specifically a Humphrey Democrat, that got pushed out. I then became a Republican, but they respected me even if they thought my siding with labor over management was a bit odd. I would have stayed Republican but for Donald Trump, who now pretty much owns the Republican Party. I have declared my independence again and prefer now the platform of the American Solidarity Party. I am also a bit of a ChesterBellocian to top it off.

The OBOB forum is pretty solidly pro-life, and not a good place to stake out a pro-abortion position. This thread, of course, is informational and not argumentative, so we won't be discussing any more of that in this thread.

Upvote 0